Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 17, 2024, 02:44:00 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: My 2.4GHz airspace is cramped 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: My 2.4GHz airspace is cramped  (Read 4058 times)
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

on: February 08, 2008, 06:56:39 AM

I have sort-of-recently decided that the problems I have with my PS3 controller is due to too much shit in the 2.4GHz bands.  I have a 2.4GHz phone, a WRT54GL and of course the Sixaxes.  I spotted some phones today (that I don't want) that operate in the 5GHz bands which apparently are regulated, and this got me thinking about what I can do to cut back on the interference in my house.  Anybody else have any thoughts on this?  I might be able to convince the wife to replace our phones but I need more options.

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
They called it The Prayer, its answer was law
Mommy come back 'cause the water's all gone
Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #1 on: February 08, 2008, 07:02:04 AM

I thought the controllers were bluetooth. Was i wrong? Is there a difference? lol.

Today's How-To: Scrambling a Thread to the Point of Incoherence in Only One Post with MrBloodworth . - schild
www.mrbloodworthproductions.com  www.amuletsbymerlin.com
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #2 on: February 08, 2008, 11:51:52 AM

Bluetooth operates in the unregulated 2.4GHz band, which is why I'm suspicious of my phones and WRT54GL, which handles the 802.11g wireless network in my house... since 802.11g is also in the 2.4GHz unregulated band.

F13 is sort of like the TekTips forums in that my questions are generally so above the norm that they go unanswered.  I don't mean that as a complaint, more as a I AM SO AWESOME THAT MY QUESTIONS HAVE NO ANSWERS.

Moonspeak jokes aside, Bloodworth, I appreciate the response since I know you are a technical guy.

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
Murgos
Terracotta Army

Reply #3 on: February 08, 2008, 12:01:12 PM

Bluetooth has 79 channels in the 2.4 GHz band and hops between them several hundred times a minute.  It's not impossible that your phone is so poorly designed that it stomps all over every single channel but I would highly doubt it.  It's even much less likely that your IEEE spec 802.11 router will step on your IEEE spec 802.15 bluetooth.

edit: wiki
Bluetooth devices, while operating in the same band, in theory do not interfere with 802.11b/g because they use a frequency hopping spread spectrum signaling method (FHSS) while 802.11b/g uses a direct sequence spread spectrum signaling method (DSSS).
« Last Edit: February 08, 2008, 12:03:46 PM by Murgos »

"You have all recieved youre last warning. I am in the process of currently tracking all of youre ips and pinging your home adressess. you should not have commencemed a war with me" - Aaron Rayburn
Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #4 on: February 08, 2008, 12:05:45 PM

No, its cool, i honestly didn't know about Bluetooth (GHz range), thats why i asked.

And the Moonspeak comments keep me in check.  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

Today's How-To: Scrambling a Thread to the Point of Incoherence in Only One Post with MrBloodworth . - schild
schild
Administrator

Reply #5 on: February 08, 2008, 12:06:11 PM

Your 2.4GHz airspace is not cramped. Sorry.

The PS3 dropping the blue tooth signal was a common occurrence in 60 and 20GB units.

Basically, suck it up and be thankful you have a 60GB.
Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #6 on: February 08, 2008, 12:23:08 PM

Just talked with some of the air force guys in the building (they do installs, write manuals, and design systems for various air force systems, all basically wireless communications) over a smoke break. They basically said that its quite possible, but they haven't personally experienced it. One guy said he had experienced a conflict with a router and phone of the same GHz range, basically he could hear the router on his phone line, so he changed to a different phone system (different GHz) and all was well. But the consensus was that its possible that the other devices are interfering with with the Bluetooth, but thats not fact as far as they know.

Take it for what its worth.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2008, 12:24:42 PM by Mrbloodworth »

schild
Administrator

Reply #7 on: February 08, 2008, 12:25:38 PM

I have 2 PS3s, multiple bluetooth things, a wii, an xbox, a wrt45g, and afaik 3 other wireless devices in the same area.

I've never experienced any conflict whatsoever.

Oh and 2 laptops.
Murgos
Terracotta Army

Reply #8 on: February 08, 2008, 12:30:22 PM

Bluetooth devices should all be able to work out their frequency hopping amongst each other, I don't know what the upper limit on Bluetooth devices in one are is but it should be pretty high (several dozens? Probably MUCH more).  The router and the Bluetooth together should be fine (see quote above).

Dump the phone and get a Bluetooth one or one that operates in 900MHz or 5 GHz and then you can sleep easy.

"You have all recieved youre last warning. I am in the process of currently tracking all of youre ips and pinging your home adressess. you should not have commencemed a war with me" - Aaron Rayburn
SnakeCharmer
Terracotta Army

Reply #9 on: February 08, 2008, 12:30:48 PM

How about nixing the land line and just use a cel phone?  Or do you require a fax line? 

Edit: Speling is hard werk!!!
« Last Edit: February 08, 2008, 12:35:14 PM by SnakeCharmer »
SnakeCharmer
Terracotta Army

Reply #10 on: February 08, 2008, 12:37:00 PM

I have 2 PS3s, multiple bluetooth things, a wii, an xbox, a wrt45g, and afaik 3 other wireless devices in the same area.

I've never experienced any conflict whatsoever.

Oh and 2 laptops.

Your kids are going to glow in the dark, assuming your nuts haven't been microwaved completely.
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #11 on: February 08, 2008, 12:37:44 PM

Basically, suck it up and be thankful you have a 60GB.

O WHY DID YOU NOT TELL ME THIS EARLIER, O SONY MAN?!

Don't you have a 60GB?  S'up?

Eh, so I'm up shit creek.  Appreciate the responses.  Will wait for a PS3 that has both BC and non-shitty-bluetooth.  BC is more important.

RE: SnakeCharmer, I use a corp cell phone myself and in fact I don't see any use whatsoever for a landline outside DSL.  Somehow I still have a house phone.  I blame the woman.

schild
Administrator

Reply #12 on: February 08, 2008, 12:44:06 PM

I have 2 60GB.

I do not have bluetooth issues.

BUT. SOMETIMES IT'S THE CONTROLLER. Ask whoever to replace it.
SnakeCharmer
Terracotta Army

Reply #13 on: February 08, 2008, 12:45:59 PM

If you have DSL you MIGHT be fux0red into maintaining a land line.  Aren't you in Georgia?  If BellSouth is your DSL provider, then I think you HAVE to have a land line to keep DSL.  In which case, I'd nix the DSL, go with cable broadband, shut down the land line, and save 75.00 bucks a month.  That is, of course, assuming the wife has a cel phone already and you have the option to go with cable broadband and the cost/performance ratio for cable vs dsl is equal.
Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #14 on: February 08, 2008, 12:53:53 PM

Can you unplug the phones and router for an evening and see if the controller behaves any better?  Figure out if it is the controller or the other devices first.

Hahahaha!  I'm really good at this!
Grand Design
Terracotta Army

Reply #15 on: February 08, 2008, 02:29:35 PM

Lantyssa has good advice.

Eliminate the background noise and see if it improves.

It's easier and cheaper than immediately assuming it's X and replacing X.
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #16 on: February 09, 2008, 09:34:22 AM

BUT. SOMETIMES IT'S THE CONTROLLER. Ask whoever to replace it.

Three different Sixaxes and two different PS3s with the same issue?  One of the Sixaxes was not a packin.  The commonalities are only "60GB" and "in my entertainment center".  I can't do anything about the first part, so I was going to investigate the second part.  Best I can do is unplug my 2.4GHz phone and wait for it to happen, trouble is that it is very intermittent and doesn't happen at all some nights.  Other nights it causes Ellen to be molested by folk several times.

So, yea, will unplug the phones.  Turning off the router at the same time won't tell me which one, if it is either of them.  I need to find a master list of things that use the unregulated 2.4GHz frequencies.

I'll keep the DSL (and landline) since installing cable is not going to happen.  I hate the cable company, for one, and for another I don't want to pay them to run a cable all the way to/inside my house.

SnakeCharmer
Terracotta Army

Reply #17 on: February 09, 2008, 10:27:03 AM

It doesn't feed off your existing cable line?  Or do you not have a cable line period?  If your provider is Comcast, I *completely* understand that sentiment.  I wouldn't use them if BellSouth had a remotely competitive speed available.
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #18 on: February 11, 2008, 07:46:48 AM

No cable TV.  DirecTV.

It's not the phone.  It's not either WAP.  Must be the PS3, unless I find something else.

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: My 2.4GHz airspace is cramped  
Jump to: