Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 14, 2024, 08:44:50 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  MMOG Discussion  |  Browser-Based Titles  |  Topic: The West (as of 3/09, Bat Country will be on World 8) 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 65 66 [67] 68 69 ... 106 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The West (as of 3/09, Bat Country will be on World 8)  (Read 815886 times)
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #2310 on: May 20, 2009, 11:28:45 AM

Heh, Copper Creek took the "haha Bat Country we spit on our treaty" bit out of their town sign.  Guess they've stopped laughing.   why so serious?

"I have not actually recommended many games, and I'll go on the record here saying my track record is probably best in the industry." - schild
Mosesandstick
Terracotta Army

Reply #2311 on: May 20, 2009, 01:42:18 PM

Who do I bug for an invite for Mosesandstick? Or do I telegram everyone with a tophat? Everyone with a bowler?

Oh yeah, what does a level 22 soldier do? Is the whole attacking other towns and dueling thing time consuming? Kinda time-strapped at the moment.
Kageru
Terracotta Army

Reply #2312 on: May 20, 2009, 04:39:52 PM

Considering we're in a war / being farmed by a bunch of much larger towns finding enemies and getting in duels doesn't even require you to be at the PC, especially for a soldier which is generally defensively oriented. Just set yourself up, not be sleeping and you can come back and read all the duel reports if you're in a targettable level range.

For instance between scheduling one job and the hotel then going to sleep I have 4 duel reports.

I might have to leave town and go buy some weaponry though. I'm hitting for under half of what they are :/
« Last Edit: May 21, 2009, 06:29:31 AM by Kageru »

Is a man not entitled to the hurf of his durf?
- Simond
gryeyes
Terracotta Army

Reply #2313 on: May 20, 2009, 04:51:38 PM

If you are not speced for dueling and are not a builder you would be better off joining/leaving regardless.
DirtyBirdy
Terracotta Army

Reply #2314 on: May 20, 2009, 05:20:37 PM

I should say that I was wrong about the sleep protection, sorry for that.

I had assumed that most players were familiar with weststats.com ,  weststats.com/towns . They are the best tools by far that I have found to help build.  The ability to see an entire quest line is vital.  With some homework you can collect virtually all items for a set of quests in advance and complete a number of quests at once, this is especially helpful for the adventurers as I find that they have the most tedious quest set, but with the best rewards IMO.

BTW how is the build coming?  We completed 'Springs' a bit ago.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2009, 05:22:29 PM by DirtyBirdy »

I am here for a good time, not a long time.  So have a good time, the sun can't shine everyday.  - Trooper
Kageru
Terracotta Army

Reply #2315 on: May 20, 2009, 05:34:22 PM

I am specced for duelling (though I wonder if I need a bit less aim and more shooting) but I'm finding my maximum weapon damage is the minimum damage for most of the people I'm duelling. We've done really badly on ranged weapons in the gunsmith (75% rusty, 0% precise), especially compared to copper springs (0% rusty, 50% precise that I can see).

15-31 for me compared to 30-54, 32-40, 2-66.

- Simond
gryeyes
Terracotta Army

Reply #2316 on: May 20, 2009, 05:53:42 PM

I am in the same boat but i still tend to win at least 50% of the times i am attacked. Are you wearing different gear when you work?
Kageru
Terracotta Army

Reply #2317 on: May 20, 2009, 06:05:41 PM

Yep. Just discovered that beaver hunt generates a lot more money than any job I can do with my shooting. And that money will be really useful because my gear is now laughably outdated. Too much time focusing on XP and completing quests (which cost a lot) and not enough on earning cash.

And yeah, on my beta character I've seen that focusing on strength gives you access to some very nice early jobs. However a melee adventurer gets this as well. Shooting and trapping seem to dominate the very high level jobs, although wow that's a long way away.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2009, 06:39:51 PM by Kageru »

- Simond
Hawkbit
Terracotta Army

Like a Klansman in the ghetto.

Reply #2318 on: May 21, 2009, 03:48:12 AM

As a mostly Dex trapper adventurer at lvl 37, I've now got access to hunting grizzlies (78% xp), building a fort (71% xp), hunting wolves (63% xp) and stealing horses (64% money).  If I wear those out, I've still got some 40-50% xp jobs so I'm never doing a job below 90% motivation.  I'm doing a level every 2-3 days and I should start overtaking our max level people soon.

I don't spend a lot of time on quests.  At this point I'll try to make some of them up through buying clothes to switch out, but if the job for the quest is too far off, I'm not going to worry about it.  Once the town is up to max and I get my top end clothes, then I'll start tweaking points through the shaman for quests.  But ultimately I'll stick to almost a pure trapper build with some extra in Cha/Leadership for building a fort and tactics/appearance.

My biggest issue is not being able to defend myself, I always spent four hours of every 48 KO'd.  But our lvl 5 hotel makes up for it because I regain energy super fast in it. 
Kageru
Terracotta Army

Reply #2319 on: May 21, 2009, 06:11:09 AM

Yeah, get the feeling I've sort of wedged myself. I need to get gear that puts my shooting up high enough I can earn money from it combined with a good firearm for self defence. At the moment I earn a lot more money wearing trapping clothes (zero skill in trapping) than I can through my soldier skills. And of course as a soldier with better tactics than appearance I can't really make a living out of duelling and can't win when attacked while working in trapping gear. Thankfully it's fixable though, just takes a lot of grinding cash to fund gear and respeccing. Totally agree the level 5 hotel is amazing for energy and health gain.

Really should have ignored any inconvenient quests and come back to do them later.

My level 8 melee adventurer on beta is already cutting tree's and mining granite which awes me.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2009, 06:32:45 AM by Kageru »

- Simond
Righ
Terracotta Army

Teaching the world Google-fu one broken dream at a time.

Reply #2320 on: May 21, 2009, 09:00:58 AM

With some homework you can collect virtually all items for a set of quests in advance and complete a number of quests at once, this is especially helpful for the adventurers as I find that they have the most tedious quest set, but with the best rewards IMO.

I found the adventurer quest to be enjoyable (it was the first time through) and relatively easy to accomplish. There was a LOT of point planning and a few point migrations between sections, and I did ALL the general quests along the way, completing the adventurer quest (by killing Mugridge) early in 39th level - so I have to wait to wear the jacket. Yes, Weststats is vital to questing (and shopping).

The town building is coming along fine thanks - we're a smaller town with fewer dedicated builders, so our progress is in line with yours. Our builders are fantastically efficient and build when fully motivated so that we get good value for money. I think that we're all more than happy with our progress.

The camera adds a thousand barrels. - Steven Colbert
LK
Terracotta Army

Reply #2321 on: May 21, 2009, 02:01:22 PM

I'm just having fun. This is what I want from a web game. Lots of content to burn through at a good pace.

"Then there's the double-barreled shotgun from Doom 2 - no-one within your entire household could be of any doubt that it's been fired because it sounds like God slamming a door on his fingers." - Yahtzee Croshaw
Righ
Terracotta Army

Reply #2322 on: May 22, 2009, 08:16:50 AM

Heh, Copper Creek took the "haha Bat Country we spit on our treaty" bit out of their town sign.  Guess they've stopped laughing.   why so serious?

They replaced it with "-FoM- Dueling On/Off" so I presume their mission statement has changed from "hey, our word is worth nothing" to "hey, we abuse game mechanics". These aren't things that I'd use to advertise my town, but I suppose if you're going to play the bad guys in the game, its okay.

Prospero
Terracotta Army

Reply #2323 on: May 22, 2009, 11:36:33 AM

What does the dueling=off mean? I didn't get what they were trying to say.
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #2324 on: May 22, 2009, 11:54:19 AM

I think it indicates whether other FoM members are allowed to farm them for XP or not.

"I have not actually recommended many games, and I'll go on the record here saying my track record is probably best in the industry." - schild
DirtyBirdy
Terracotta Army

Reply #2325 on: May 22, 2009, 12:40:09 PM

With some homework you can collect virtually all items for a set of quests in advance and complete a number of quests at once, this is especially helpful for the adventurers as I find that they have the most tedious quest set, but with the best rewards IMO.

I found the adventurer quest to be enjoyable (it was the first time through) and relatively easy to accomplish. There was a LOT of point planning and a few point migrations between sections, and I did ALL the general quests along the way, completing the adventurer quest (by killing Mugridge) early in 39th level - so I have to wait to wear the jacket. Yes, Weststats is vital to questing (and shopping).

The town building is coming along fine thanks - we're a smaller town with fewer dedicated builders, so our progress is in line with yours. Our builders are fantastically efficient and build when fully motivated so that we get good value for money. I think that we're all more than happy with our progress.

Congratz on completing that quest series!  Rewards are nice and so is the cash:)  The upgrades to weststats are great...the item finder is very helpful.

If you had 4 pure builders you can do a pretty good job, but it will get tougher to build once you reach the top end of the upgrades...I am sure you'll do fine.  I think we have somewhere about 20 builders on staff, so we'll likely be starting another town shortly...gotta keep the builders busy and hopefully we end up with some of the high end new items as well...:)  More shops mean better selection for shoppers:)

As for the -FoM-  dueling off thing, I am not sure what it means...dueling is always on:P

I am here for a good time, not a long time.  So have a good time, the sun can't shine everyday.  - Trooper
Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #2326 on: May 22, 2009, 12:52:21 PM

Question to DirtyBirdy or anyone in the know: Do sets confer a set bonus?

"Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other."

-  Mark Twain
schild
Administrator

Reply #2327 on: May 22, 2009, 12:55:24 PM

Yes.
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #2328 on: May 22, 2009, 01:19:57 PM

Some of the sets and associated bonuses are listed here.

I have the full Mexican set (except the tequila, which I should stumble across soon).   DRILLING AND MANLINESS

Hawkbit
Terracotta Army

Reply #2329 on: May 22, 2009, 01:51:56 PM

I can't be bothered to do the math on it, but the Indian's set is pretty decent.  Some of the pieces require lvl 51 and 55, but if you get all five in the set (save your golden Indian necklace from the quest!!) it puts you well on your way to doing some of the best trapping jobs at 70% XP.  I'd wager the average player who puts points all willy-nilly should do pretty decent with it. 
execute

Email
Reply #2330 on: May 23, 2009, 05:38:29 AM

With people cycling out to shop elsewhere we've actually got a surplus of residence space these days.

because your town sucks.  how's that rusty derringer working out?  you're better off sticking to LARPing.

Der Helm
Terracotta Army

Reply #2331 on: May 23, 2009, 06:50:34 AM

Heart awesome, for real

"I've been done enough around here..."- Signe
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #2332 on: May 23, 2009, 07:27:11 AM

my what do we have here?

Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #2333 on: May 23, 2009, 09:04:03 AM

Some of the sets and associated bonuses are listed here.

Well... that sucks.  It seems that as an Adventurer/trader I should get the charletain set.  As an indian, I wanted the indian set, but it looks better geared to trapping. 

"Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other."

-  Mark Twain
rk47
Terracotta Army

The Patron Saint of Radicalthons

Reply #2334 on: May 23, 2009, 09:06:06 AM

it's a mixed bag for set bonuses. Charlatan looks terrible for trading on its own, you'll need at least 3 pcs to make it worthwhile. The hat is pretty good and cheap to get, though.

Colonel Sanders is back in my wallet
Musashi
Terracotta Army

Reply #2335 on: May 23, 2009, 09:39:12 AM

With people cycling out to shop elsewhere we've actually got a surplus of residence space these days.

because your town sucks.  how's that rusty derringer working out?  you're better off sticking to LARPing.

I'm gonna go out on a limb and guess you died recently.

AKA Gyoza
Righ
Terracotta Army

Reply #2336 on: May 23, 2009, 09:40:51 AM

Your town may be defined by the quality of the merchandise alone. In our town, the players bring the greatest value.

The rusty deringer certainly isn't as much fun as the acid. You're gonna love that stuff in your face.

Phildo
Contributor

Reply #2337 on: May 23, 2009, 03:32:23 PM

Pi-Man just got stomped in the face and I'm 11 levels below him with a much shittier gun.  So I'm looking forward to getting that Rusty Derringer!
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #2338 on: May 23, 2009, 05:11:31 PM

You're gonna love that stuff in your face.

Ohhhhh, I see.

Polysorbate80
Terracotta Army

Reply #2339 on: May 23, 2009, 08:46:39 PM

Trammel tailor lvl 2 - Brown & black ragged shoes, brown & black cap (sensing a theme here...), and yellow & brown poncho (part of the mexican set, if anyone gives a crap)

“Why the fuck would you ... ?” is like 80% of the conversation with Poly — Chimpy
Xanthippe
Terracotta Army

Reply #2340 on: May 25, 2009, 08:17:13 PM

Pi-Man just got stomped in the face and I'm 11 levels below him with a much shittier gun.  So I'm looking forward to getting that Rusty Derringer!

Gunsmith now has Pepperbox Revolver for sale.  23-57 damage, +2 dodging  $1440

Hawkbit
Terracotta Army

Reply #2341 on: May 26, 2009, 10:19:14 AM

Corrosive Acid is now a ranged weapon.  (Firearm)
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #2342 on: May 26, 2009, 10:40:28 AM

Aaaand that set just got worth having.   DRILLING AND MANLINESS

sidereal
Contributor

Reply #2343 on: May 26, 2009, 10:46:25 AM

Wooooooooooooooooooooo.

Grinding cash. .  now.

THIS IS THE MOST I HAVE EVERY WANTED TO GET IN TO A BETA
Prospero
Terracotta Army

Reply #2344 on: May 26, 2009, 12:02:54 PM

Fuck yeah. I was going for the charlatan set already, but that just made it awesome.
Pages: 1 ... 65 66 [67] 68 69 ... 106 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  MMOG Discussion  |  Browser-Based Titles  |  Topic: The West (as of 3/09, Bat Country will be on World 8)  
Jump to: