Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 19, 2024, 10:05:59 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  MMOG Discussion  |  Topic: Carbine Studios' "Wildstar" 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 90 91 [92] 93 94 ... 98 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Carbine Studios' "Wildstar"  (Read 989509 times)
Rasix

I am the harbinger of your doom!

Reply #3185 on: January 13, 2015, 10:25:16 AM

Hardcore focus or not, in the end, it just wasn't fun to play.   Haven't to constantly mash keys while moving is not something I want to do in that variety of game.  It was too busy on all fronts and just exhausting to play.  The following things were done poorly in this game: world design, quest design, combat flow, class design, zone flow, itemization, crafting (what a fucking hassle), dungeon design (how about you start slow and ramp up, eh?), etc etc etc etc.  In retrospect, it's the worst MMO I've actually paid for.  Although in fairness, I got less play out of CoH. 

Really the only thing it had going for it was that it somewhat stylish and could occasionally approach humor.  Plus, they had some decent QOL/customization options.  Otherwise, it was a mess. 

It just wasn't a good game or MMO.  It failed pretty hard on both standpoints.

-Rasix
Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #3186 on: January 13, 2015, 10:28:48 AM

Wildstar really demonstrated (to me) that MMO enthusiasts are largely not gamers.  Funny since I clearly remember Schild telling me this back in like 2007.  Now I finally get what he was saying.

"Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other."

-  Mark Twain
tazelbain
Terracotta Army

tazelbain

Reply #3187 on: January 13, 2015, 10:31:23 AM

I figure most skinner box enthusiasts have moved to flash games by now.

"Me am play gods"
Tannhauser
Terracotta Army

Reply #3188 on: January 13, 2015, 10:33:28 AM

Make it casual with f2p and a reasonable cash shop and maybe I'll try it again.  Like Rasix said, just a failure as a MMO almost across the board.
Terracotta Army

You call it an accident. I call it justice.

Reply #3189 on: January 13, 2015, 11:11:28 AM

Really the only thing it had going for it was that it somewhat stylish and could occasionally approach humor.  Plus, they had some decent QOL/customization options.  Otherwise, it was a mess. 

And the promotional videos. Those were the real shiny point on the turd.

Does any one know where the love of God goes...When the waves turn the minutes to hours? -G. Lightfoot
Draegan
Terracotta Army

Reply #3190 on: January 13, 2015, 11:15:25 AM

Wildstar really demonstrated (to me) that MMO enthusiasts are largely not gamers.  Funny since I clearly remember Schild telling me this back in like 2007.  Now I finally get what he was saying.

What Wildstar should of demonstrated to you is that some developers have no fucking idea what they are doing. The game was just bad on almost every front and should not be used to judge or used to weigh in on any topic. The game was a turd.
Kitsune
Terracotta Army

Reply #3191 on: January 13, 2015, 07:46:59 PM

official report: wildstar hella losing subs and money. like, hella.

Link?
Soulflame
Terracotta Army

Reply #3192 on: January 13, 2015, 08:03:21 PM

What Wildstar should of demonstrated to you is that some developers have no fucking idea what they are doing. The game was just bad on almost every front and should not be used to judge or used to weigh in on any topic. The game was a turd.

Hardcore game philosophy cannot fail.  It can only be failed.
Tannhauser
Terracotta Army

Reply #3193 on: January 13, 2015, 08:08:23 PM

Hopefully this puts to bed the notion that there are millions of frustrated hardcore MMO players out there thinking IF ONLY they had a hardcore game to play.

Paelos
Contributor

Error 404: Title not found.

Reply #3194 on: January 14, 2015, 06:11:13 AM

Hopefully this puts to bed the notion that there are millions of frustrated hardcore MMO players out there thinking IF ONLY they had a hardcore game to play.

It won't.

CPA, CFO, Sports Fan, Game when I have the time
Draegan
Terracotta Army

Reply #3195 on: January 14, 2015, 06:47:26 AM

It just wasn't a good game or MMO.  It failed pretty hard on both standpoints.

Wildstar really demonstrated (to me) that MMO enthusiasts are largely not gamers.  Funny since I clearly remember Schild telling me this back in like 2007.  Now I finally get what he was saying.

Hardcore game philosophy cannot fail.  It can only be failed.

The game was fairly casual except for their two raids zones. Every aspect of the  game was a failure. This s booby u saying it was hardcore are either being willfully ignorant or just being dumb on purpose.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2015, 06:49:22 AM by Draegan »
Rendakor
Terracotta Army

Reply #3196 on: January 14, 2015, 06:53:26 AM

This s booby u saying it was hardcore are either being willfully ignorant or just being dumb on purpose.
Autocorrect fail?

"i can't be a star citizen. they won't even give me a star green card"
Soulflame
Terracotta Army

Reply #3197 on: January 14, 2015, 04:13:32 PM

I love how his post calling me "dumb or ignorant" contains multiple spelling and grammatical errors.

It's adorable.

Next up:  He'll explain how a game that Carbine Studios explicitly said was hardcore, is not hardcore.
Draegan
Terracotta Army

Reply #3198 on: January 15, 2015, 01:27:48 AM

I love how his post calling me "dumb or ignorant" contains multiple spelling and grammatical errors.

It's adorable.

Next up:  He'll explain how a game that Carbine Studios explicitly said was hardcore, is not hardcore.

Posted from my phone, daughter needed something. Didn't correct spelling.

Outside those stupid raids (two zones out of the whole thing) what was so hardcore about the game? The answer is nothing. It was a standard shitty DIKU game. Nothing at all was hardcore about it, it was just bad. I mean was the easy leveling/quest treadmill hard? Was the handholding through all the zones neckbeardish? Was the housing super duper challenging?  Were those solo isntances difficult? Was the gathering a grind? Was the PVP any more or less standard battleground stuff?

« Last Edit: January 15, 2015, 01:31:58 AM by Draegan »
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

a polyamorous pansexual genderqueer born and living in the wrong country

Reply #3199 on: January 15, 2015, 03:21:09 AM

I am with Draegan. What Developers call their games mean nothing at all. Sure the raids were hardcore (except very few people ever get to raids anyway in all MMOs). But everything else? Maybe I didn't stick around long enough, but Hardcore in what way exactly? Was it easier to die than usual at any given point before said raids? Was the death penalty harsher than in other MMOs? Was the leveling curve months-long? Was it possible to gimp your character forcing you to restart? Permadeath? What?

Paelos
Contributor

Reply #3200 on: January 15, 2015, 05:57:19 AM

I don't think the game was hardcore or casual.

It was boring. That's the worst sin you can commit.

sam, an eggplant
Terracotta Army

Reply #3201 on: January 15, 2015, 08:00:38 AM

The small group content was tuned very challenging also. It was harder than many raids in other games.
Draegan
Terracotta Army

Reply #3202 on: January 15, 2015, 08:31:31 AM

The small group content was tuned very challenging also. It was harder than many raids in other games.

List the raids you've done in any game that you've done in the last year.
How much small group content did you do in Wildstar?

The content I did up through level 30 was very easy. The only difficulty was shitty class design. Some tank classes couldn't hold aggro for shit because their skills were fucked, not because the content was any kind of hard.
Terracotta Army

Reply #3203 on: January 15, 2015, 09:35:21 AM

The content I did up through level 30 was very easy. The only difficulty was shitty class design. Some tank classes couldn't hold aggro for shit because their skills were fucked, not because the content was any kind of hard.

rolleyes

Does any one know where the love of God goes...When the waves turn the minutes to hours? -G. Lightfoot
sam, an eggplant
Terracotta Army

Reply #3204 on: January 15, 2015, 09:49:11 AM

When did f13 transform into the battle.net forums? Did I miss a memo?
Tannhauser
Terracotta Army

Reply #3205 on: January 15, 2015, 10:08:04 AM

Do we have to link that attunement path picture again?
Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #3206 on: January 15, 2015, 10:12:34 AM

Also keep in mind that 1-30 is not the same as endgame.  Endgame content was rough.  The story instances (I don't remember what they were called) were pretty easy, but the dungeons were a nightmare for pugs.  We struggled with a few using a set group of veteran MMO players with voice coms.  Having even one pick-up player often resulted in total failure. 

"Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other."

-  Mark Twain
Draegan
Terracotta Army

Reply #3207 on: January 15, 2015, 11:25:30 AM

Do we have to link that attunement path picture again?

Why would you need to? It was stupid. No one is saying raiding wasn't hardcore or whatever the fuck you want to call it.
Soulflame
Terracotta Army

Reply #3208 on: January 15, 2015, 03:51:02 PM

It's adorable.

Next up:  He'll explain how a game that Carbine Studios explicitly said was hardcore, is not hardcore.

Outside those stupid raids (two zones out of the whole thing) what was so hardcore about the game? The answer is nothing. It was a standard shitty DIKU game. Nothing at all was hardcore about it, it was just bad. I mean was the easy leveling/quest treadmill hard? Was the handholding through all the zones neckbeardish? Was the housing super duper challenging?  Were those solo isntances difficult? Was the gathering a grind? Was the PVP any more or less standard battleground stuff?

Now I'm curious:  How many hours did you spend playing Wildstar?
Terracotta Army

Reply #3209 on: January 15, 2015, 03:58:00 PM

Draegan
Terracotta Army

Reply #3210 on: January 15, 2015, 04:14:26 PM

It's adorable.

Now I'm curious:  How many hours did you spend playing Wildstar?

I didn't get past level 30.
Rasix

I am the harbinger of your doom!

Reply #3211 on: January 15, 2015, 04:30:36 PM

I've used my headslap gif too many times, have this:

-Rasix
Setanta
Terracotta Army

Reply #3212 on: January 15, 2015, 11:37:15 PM

Level 30???

Where the hell is the Ygritte/Jon Snow picture when I need it???

"No man is an island. But if you strap a bunch of dead guys together it makes a damn fine raft."
luckton
Terracotta Army

Reply #3213 on: January 16, 2015, 02:04:33 AM

"Those lights, combined with the polygamous Nazi mushrooms, will mess you up."

"Tuning me out doesn't magically change the design or implementation of said design. Though, that'd be neat if it did." -schild
Paelos
Contributor

Reply #3214 on: January 16, 2015, 05:59:37 AM

The last few pages of this thread have been pure gold.

Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #3215 on: January 16, 2015, 06:32:06 AM

I went back and re-read the last page because I'd forgotten it.  Yeah, you're right.

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
Draegan
Terracotta Army

Reply #3216 on: January 16, 2015, 07:09:05 AM

Other than sam saying some of the dungeons were tuned too hard, no one has mentioned what was hardcore about the game. I guess everyone here is falling under stupid. Oh I forgot, it's F13 group think pile on time. So predictable.
Paelos
Contributor

Reply #3217 on: January 16, 2015, 07:15:49 AM

Other than sam saying some of the dungeons were tuned too hard, no one has mentioned what was hardcore about the game. I guess everyone here is falling under stupid. Oh I forgot, it's F13 group think pile on time. So predictable.

Here's a devspeak on how the raids were HARDCOOOOOOORE.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YbItL4qcugk

Falconeer
Terracotta Army

a polyamorous pansexual genderqueer born and living in the wrong country

Reply #3218 on: January 16, 2015, 07:18:41 AM

Not that it is important, but allow me to reiterate:

Hardcore in what way exactly? Was it easier to die than usual at any given point before said raids? Was the death penalty harsher than in other MMOs? Was the leveling curve months-long? Was it possible to gimp your character forcing you to restart? Permadeath? What?

I am not even trying to be a smartass. I quit Wildstar way before Draegan did. I am just curious. Outside of raids, hardcore how? Do we give to hardcore any remotely similar meaning? It's OK if we don't, but help me to understand what they meant.

Paelos
Contributor

Reply #3219 on: January 16, 2015, 07:19:58 AM

http://wildstar-core.com/2014/07/11/dungeons-hard-poll-results-revealed/

Here's some dungeon polls on their difficulty.

But Groupthink, yo!

Pages: 1 ... 90 91 [92] 93 94 ... 98 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  MMOG Discussion  |  Topic: Carbine Studios' "Wildstar"  
Jump to: