Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 15, 2024, 07:02:06 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Star Wars: The Old Republic  |  Topic: SWTOR 0 Members and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 142 143 [144] 145 146 ... 402 Go Down Print
Author Topic: SWTOR  (Read 2123573 times)
Paelos
Contributor

Error 404: Title not found.

Reply #5005 on: November 18, 2010, 08:24:33 PM

Also, I think people (like myself) play while doing other things. How much are we actually playing when we have the game going, the TV with a football game on, and getting up to make dinner at the same time?

You lose time in the estimates I imagine.

CPA, CFO, Sports Fan, Game when I have the time
FieryBalrog
Terracotta Army

Reply #5006 on: November 18, 2010, 09:05:10 PM

If there is a voiced Giggity option this is a must buy.

On a more serious note, I hope the crafting works out.  Resource grinding has always killed crafting for me.  A system where my crew gets most everything I need automagically?  Yes please.  A system like that would still allow for rare drop or encounter specific items to be incorporated.  Anyway, here is to hoping.

What's the fun part of crafting then?

However, I doubt this is going to be a really involved crafting system with multiple interdependencies and player-made housing etc. because from some accounts they added crafting after fans requested it. It may just be a fun side-activity.

The number of potential companions sounds insane. More than 5? I had the idea that it was going to be around 2.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2010, 09:12:57 PM by FieryBalrog »
Zetor
Terracotta Army

Reply #5007 on: November 18, 2010, 10:10:49 PM

Guild Wars had like eleventy billion NPC heroes, too (though they didn't have dialogues/etc). Only one of them can accompany you in SWTOR for the actual fighting, so it's more of a make-everyone-a-pet-class thing... I think that may actually work out decently.

Bunk
Contributor

Operating Thetan One

Reply #5008 on: November 19, 2010, 06:31:25 AM

I like the idea that you "assign" your other companions to do something while you are away. Bioware's always had an issue with giving you a massive crew, most of which spend the entire plot hiding in the hanger somewhere. I mean, did anyone intentionally ever even talk to Bao Dur after he was recruited?

"Welcome to the internet, pussy." - VDL
"I have retard strength." - Schild
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #5009 on: November 19, 2010, 07:44:28 AM

Bao Dur was awesome.

I'd say I'm about a 15/hr a week gamer, maybe slightly more if playing something really awesome like ME2. Part of why I don't play mmos, they're just too time-intensive and I don't have the time to play them and get actual work done (also why I usually play in winter months and cancel in spring).
Lucas
Terracotta Army

Further proof that Italians have suspect taste in games.

Reply #5010 on: November 19, 2010, 09:07:44 AM

It's "Fan Friday" over at Swtor.com; among other things, a small Community Q&A, with Daniel Erickson answering the questions:

http://www.swtor.com/news/news-article/20101119-0

" He's so impatient, it's like watching a teenager fuck a glorious older woman." - Ironwood on J.J. Abrams
Reg
Terracotta Army

Reply #5011 on: November 19, 2010, 09:17:04 AM

Oh rats. I was depending on uninterruptible quest text to filter out the retards.
Lucas
Terracotta Army

Reply #5012 on: November 26, 2010, 04:44:21 AM

" He's so impatient, it's like watching a teenager fuck a glorious older woman." - Ironwood on J.J. Abrams
Sjofn
Terracotta Army

Truckasaurus Hands

Reply #5013 on: November 26, 2010, 07:22:54 AM

I like the idea that you "assign" your other companions to do something while you are away. Bioware's always had an issue with giving you a massive crew, most of which spend the entire plot hiding in the hanger somewhere. I mean, did anyone intentionally ever even talk to Bao Dur after he was recruited?

His voice was hot, so yes, but he certainly wasn't interesting in the least.

God Save the Horn Players
FatuousTwat
Terracotta Army

Reply #5014 on: November 28, 2010, 03:34:14 PM

Has anyone really been far even as decided to use even go want to do look more like?
ajax34i
Terracotta Army

Reply #5015 on: November 28, 2010, 03:48:05 PM

ROFL
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #5016 on: November 28, 2010, 04:25:36 PM

It'd be funny if it weren't, apparently, pretty damn true.  why so serious?

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
UnSub
Contributor

Reply #5017 on: November 28, 2010, 05:57:06 PM

Kageru
Terracotta Army

Reply #5018 on: November 29, 2010, 12:25:07 AM

Far too much win... great stuff.

Would love to know the beta status on this title. If they are 3 months out and still doing "limited testing" it's well on track for the train-crash. Sounds like that is indeed what they are doing, what a surprise.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2010, 12:28:13 AM by Kageru »

Is a man not entitled to the hurf of his durf?
- Simond
Velorath
Contributor

Reply #5019 on: November 29, 2010, 12:35:42 AM

It's more than three months out.
Reg
Terracotta Army

Reply #5020 on: November 29, 2010, 02:03:23 AM

I guess it's possible they might decide to self destruct by releasing an unfinished, unpolished product that nobody likes. Even having seen the example of FFXIV.
Draegan
Terracotta Army

Reply #5021 on: November 29, 2010, 06:44:51 AM

I assume the target is still "Spring 2011", which is essentially Q2 assuming no delays.
Shatter
Terracotta Army

Reply #5022 on: November 29, 2010, 07:14:27 AM

lol that was great
Lucas
Terracotta Army

Reply #5023 on: December 03, 2010, 08:37:20 AM

Paelos
Contributor

Reply #5024 on: December 03, 2010, 08:55:15 AM

The crew skills thing sounds positive for the most part. I'll highlight a few items I noted that I think represent the good and bad of the process:

The Old Republic there are multiple ways to gather resources. Not only can you gather resources yourself, but companion characters in the field can be ordered to take care of the task. Companions stationed on your ship can also be sent on gathering missions, freeing you and your active companion up for action. Gathering missions will even continue while you’re offline – the ultimate in efficiency!

Players can issue crafting orders to up to five companions at a time, and each companion can add up to five crafting tasks to their queue...Your companions all have different skills and personalities, and their strengths carry over into the Crew Skills system...Companion traits in Crew Skills are designed to be story-appropriate and meaningful, but the bonuses aren’t designed to be so extreme that you’ll feel you only have one companion choice for a given task.

This is a good idea, imo. I see a node, I hit it. I have a free companion on a mission, I send them out to gather. I log off, I set my companions to work. It's seemless, and it offers you possibilities for all facets of your time in and out of game. The real question is how will the game handle the resource gathering. Is it random? Is it pulling nodes off the world when I unleash my companions? I seriously doubt that we would see companions stealing our nodes right in front of us, so I'm guessing that the afk version is pulling from a different "off-world" pool. However, I think they underestimate the "bonuses" thing. MMOG players do not disregard small bonuses to anything.

Koyasha
Terracotta Army

Reply #5025 on: December 03, 2010, 09:07:45 AM

So far, I haven't seen any specific mention about the products of crafting being restricted to only the crafter, or anything like that, so that's good.  Overall the descriptions seem not-horrible.  So it just may not make me angry to even contemplate wanting to craft something myself.

-Do you honestly think that we believe ourselves evil? My friend, we seek only good. It's just that our definitions don't quite match.-
Ailanreanter, Arcanaloth
Ginaz
Terracotta Army

Reply #5026 on: December 03, 2010, 09:14:09 AM

I assume the target is still "Spring 2011", which is essentially Q2 assuming no delays.

If they operate on the same quarterly basis we do with the government (Canada here) then Q2 isn't until the summer.  Q1 starts on 1 April, which is the beginning of the fiscal year, not calendar year.
Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #5027 on: December 03, 2010, 09:20:14 AM

Disappointing diary.  He described every other crafting system in existence.  "You take gathered, vendor, and rare resources and make an item!"  I'm awed.

Hahahaha!  I'm really good at this!
Koyasha
Terracotta Army

Reply #5028 on: December 03, 2010, 09:33:31 AM

Yes, but the annoying part - gathering those resources - seems pretty automatic if you just tell your crewmembers to do it.  Maybe.  Hence why I say it may not make me rage at the thought of trying to craft something.

The part that will still probably anger me is the nonsense of raising your skill by producing hundreds of things of increasing difficulty and so on.

-Do you honestly think that we believe ourselves evil? My friend, we seek only good. It's just that our definitions don't quite match.-
Ailanreanter, Arcanaloth
DraconianOne
Terracotta Army

Reply #5029 on: December 03, 2010, 11:59:37 AM

The part that will still probably anger me is the nonsense of raising your skill by producing hundreds of things of increasing difficulty and so on.

And the fact that the artifact items for end-game will need a rare resource drop from a raid boss.

A point can be MOOT. MUTE is more along the lines of what you should be. - WayAbvPar
Soln
Terracotta Army

the opportunity for evil is just delicious

Reply #5030 on: December 03, 2010, 12:55:49 PM

And the fact that the artifact items for end-game will need a rare resource drop from a raid boss.

krayt pearls, you better believe it  Ohhhhh, I see.
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #5031 on: December 03, 2010, 12:59:07 PM

Yeah, it really sounds like a setup for the raid crap. As someone looking forward to the casual story-heavy voiced content, the amount of 'and then we have this cool stuff for raiders' is getting to be worrisome. I started getting a bad feeling about this right around when they talked about armors for bounty hunter progression, and the raid/uberleet version was cool and the rest of us get to wear a vest.

It's getting so I just hear raid content and a little switch turns off in my brain. I ran into a lot of great guilds in EQ2, but couldn't join any of them because of raid attendance requirements. All the casual guilds seemed filled with tards, and the good players all played regularly. 7pm EST for four hours three nights a week plus weekend day raids? Jiminiy cricket, don't people have jobs/lives/families/other hobbies?

/rant sorry bout that
Draegan
Terracotta Army

Reply #5032 on: December 03, 2010, 01:00:57 PM

If they operate on the same quarterly basis we do with the government (Canada here) then Q2 isn't until the summer.  Q1 starts on 1 April, which is the beginning of the fiscal year, not calendar year.

They never mentioned a quarter number, I'm merely referencing the second quarter in a calender year.  April, May, June.
Malakili
Terracotta Army

Reply #5033 on: December 03, 2010, 01:32:06 PM

other hobbies?

I think this is really the big one actually.  Most people average enough leisure time per day to be a raider in a video game, its just that most people don't spend all their leisure time on a single thing (or maybe it isn't consistent enough to be able to schedule it, which is a similar but separate issue).   Gaming is really my only hobby, so even though I'm pretty damned busy, I still get a fair amount of gaming in.

Also I think the family thing could be better phrased as kids.   Thats the one that'll kill your gaming time.
Paelos
Contributor

Reply #5034 on: December 03, 2010, 01:34:08 PM

krayt pearls, you better believe it  Ohhhhh, I see.

They had better not.  ACK!

Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #5035 on: December 03, 2010, 01:42:13 PM

They already have precedence with prior KotOR games.  Many Star Wars game.  I'd bet money they do.

Hahahaha!  I'm really good at this!
Paelos
Contributor

Reply #5036 on: December 03, 2010, 01:44:45 PM

They already have precedence with prior KotOR games.  Many Star Wars game.  I'd bet money they do.

Maybe, I'm putting money on rare drops coming from gathered sources as being the main bottlenecks. Cockblocking content from raid drops is pointless since the majority of raiders are getting loot anyway.

Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #5037 on: December 03, 2010, 02:05:13 PM

Also I think the family thing could be better phrased as kids.   Thats the one that'll kill your gaming time.
No, I meant family. Wife/SO, parents, cousins, siblings, kids, whatever. Like tonight. I have a standing invite to raid friday nights with some friends. Friday night around 7, my mother comes over for weekly dinner, I spend the evening in the kitchen and then we eat and retire to the living room to enjoy a nice crackling fire and some HGTV. And this is a good night, since I can get on around 11pm EST for a few hours because I don't have to work tomorrow. Almost every day is like that, it really puts the kibosh on any 'achievement' in mmo, which sucks because otherwise I actually like the genre for some reason (even grouping, except for the time overhead, again).
Paelos
Contributor

Reply #5038 on: December 03, 2010, 02:09:47 PM

I understand Sky. My guild wanted to do their raiding on Friday nights and Saturday afternoons.  ACK!

Rendakor
Terracotta Army

Reply #5039 on: December 03, 2010, 02:10:46 PM

Sky, your best recourse is to find a game with a good PUG raiding scene. EQ2's wasn't too bad on Blackburrow, but I haven't played seriously since RoK; WoW is also pretty good assuming you're on a reasonably populated server/faction.

"i can't be a star citizen. they won't even give me a star green card"
Pages: 1 ... 142 143 [144] 145 146 ... 402 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Star Wars: The Old Republic  |  Topic: SWTOR  
Jump to: