Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 04, 2024, 01:36:26 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  City of Heroes / City of Villains  |  Topic: Power Restrictions by level. 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Power Restrictions by level.  (Read 2264 times)
Valmorian
Terracotta Army

on: May 17, 2004, 03:38:12 PM

While browsing the boards for COH, I noticed multiple mentions that higher level powers on the power sets are not any more powerful than the lower level ones, and that they only add diversity.

Given this, is there any reason why the power lists are restricted by level?  That is, why not allow all powers at any level for the sets you have?
Bipolar

Email
Reply #1 on: May 17, 2004, 03:42:52 PM

Ya gotta have something to look forward to.

Though I say this tongue in cheek, I am also partly serious.  I like to have a new power to give me a goal, to fire me up to get the next level or two.  Also it allows for some diversity in toons as some people will forego some prom/secondary powers to draw from power pools.

Diversity is power as well.  Yeah they may not do 10x the damage, but maybe they provide an aoe attack or cc, endurance regen, etc.
Valmorian
Terracotta Army

Reply #2 on: May 17, 2004, 03:47:59 PM

Quote from: Bipolar
Ya gotta have something to look forward to.

Though I say this tongue in cheek, I am also partly serious.  I like to have a new power to give me a goal, to fire me up to get the next level or two.  Also it allows for some diversity in toons as some people will forego some prom/secondary powers to draw from power pools.

Diversity is power as well.  Yeah they may not do 10x the damage, but maybe they provide an aoe attack or cc, endurance regen, etc.

I think you misunderstand my point.  I'm GLAD the powers widen diversity instead of grow in power.  What I don't like is that my diversity is restricted by my level.  That is, I might prefer to have a character with an Auto-Turret (for example) at a lower level, but I cannot have it.

Since additional powers gained at levels 20+ are not more powerful, why not let people select them earlier if they prefer??
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #3 on: May 19, 2004, 12:18:50 AM

Because many of them are, in fact, more powerful.

eg.

Stamina > Swift

Tornado > Gale

Zzap > charged bolt

Flamethrower > buckshot

etc etc

Most of them add diversity *as well as* being more powerful.

"People will not assume that what they read on the internet is trustworthy or that it carries any particular ­assurance or accuracy" - Lord Leveson
"Hyperbole is a cancer" - Lakov Sanite
Valmorian
Terracotta Army

Reply #4 on: May 19, 2004, 08:18:04 AM

Quote from: eldaec
Because many of them are, in fact, more powerful.

eg.

Stamina > Swift

Tornado > Gale

Zzap > charged bolt

Flamethrower > buckshot

etc etc

Most of them add diversity *as well as* being more powerful.

However, many of them are not really more powerful at all.  In such a case, why restrict them to higher levels?

I can understand restrictions on specific powers until you are higher level, depending upon their strength, but many powers seem to be restricted in this way simply so they have powers that are restricted.

Some of these requirements I think are odd, to say the least.  Why require players to have 1 of the first 2 powers in a power pool before they can take the third?  Why require 2 to get the last one?
Krakrok
Terracotta Army

Reply #5 on: May 19, 2004, 08:59:39 AM

Quote from: Valmorian
Some of these requirements I think are odd, to say the least.  Why require players to have 1 of the first 2 powers in a power pool before they can take the third?  Why require 2 to get the last one?

Because this is an MMO and they want you to stick around longer so they can milk you for more money?

What were you thinking.
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #6 on: May 19, 2004, 09:13:17 AM

Quote from: Valmorian

Power pools are the most obvious examples of increasing power.

Stamina for instance is easily worth more than the power set power you want least. And *way* more useful than swift and hurdle.

So is hasten.

The first 2 powers in most of the power pools are decidedly average and it's hard to imagine you'd bother with most of them if they weren't pre-reqs.

I wouldn't say they couldn't loosen the power choice rules a little - espeicially at lower levels; but this is a bit like asking why I can't play level 40 first on an FPS. Content pacing happens in all forms of entertainment, it's reduces the chance of you getting bored early. /shrug

"People will not assume that what they read on the internet is trustworthy or that it carries any particular ­assurance or accuracy" - Lord Leveson
"Hyperbole is a cancer" - Lakov Sanite
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  City of Heroes / City of Villains  |  Topic: Power Restrictions by level.  
Jump to: