Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 12, 2024, 09:53:04 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Warhammer Online (Moderator: tazelbain)  |  Topic: PQs are a failure in their current state 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: PQs are a failure in their current state  (Read 15460 times)
Nija
Terracotta Army

Reply #35 on: October 09, 2008, 09:50:45 AM

The main reason I dont do T3 PQs is the 125 mob grind at the start. 

I think most PQs should be easily doable by a trio.  Yes, 20% of PQs should be hard, and require 1-2 full groups (the ones with a Lord at the end)....

I actively seek out T3 PQs that have the first step as Kill 125 monsters (or a high number) for the first stage.

Why do I do that?

I'm in a guild party of 3 to 4 people. We'll have an iron breaker and two bright wizards with me healing them. The IB will round up about 20 to 30 monsters, however many close enough to each other to segment up, and then the bright wizards will AE them down. We can do a kill 125 stage in about 5 or 6 minutes.

Empire chapter 10 is great. I think it's 10 - in High Pass up on the frozen lake.

Different strokes for different folks. There are plenty of PQs we pass up because it doesn't let us round & smash, but I assume those are there for people who aren't rounding and smashing.
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #36 on: October 09, 2008, 09:52:46 AM

I was in a similar setup for a Chap. 11 PQ on Chaos side. Different strokes, I guess. I found it boring as fuck all and we were doing it the same way you were--rounding up big gobs of mobs and AOE'ing them to death while I tanked the one champion in the bunch. However long it took--maybe 10 minutes? it didn't resemble anything remotely close to "fun".
Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #37 on: October 09, 2008, 09:59:53 AM

I think the point that was missed by Mythic was that: MYTHIC DOESN'T DO PVE WELL.  MYTHIC DOES PVP WELL!

More PvP exp.  More pvp rewards (gear, titles, etc.).  More pvp playstyle (not scenery) options.  Players should be able to seamlessly level from 1-40 doing nothing but PvP without it seeming like a chore.  When the scenarios start to feel like a pve grind, you've missed the mark.  Encourage world pvp in the tiers more.  If you want us to seige, encourage participation through outstanding xp and rewards.  We don't need many scenarios, we need more open field battles for meaningful and rewarding objectives. 

EDIT: I think my bias is starting to show through and I apologize.  I really wanted more DAoC and less WoW... what I got was WoW with a sprinkle of DAoC and it's killing me on the inside.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2008, 10:03:57 AM by Nebu »

"Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other."

-  Mark Twain
Nija
Terracotta Army

Reply #38 on: October 09, 2008, 10:04:30 AM

I was in a similar setup for a Chap. 11 PQ on Chaos side. Different strokes, I guess. I found it boring as fuck all and we were doing it the same way you were--rounding up big gobs of mobs and AOE'ing them to death while I tanked the one champion in the bunch. However long it took--maybe 10 minutes? it didn't resemble anything remotely close to "fun".

Complete Part one in less than 10 minutes.

Queue for a scenario, and since I'm order that means I get in within 15 seconds.

Play scenario for 4-15 minutes. Win/Lose

Hey look at that, there's 125 more things to kill for all that bonus exp/inf/possible loot. Round & Pound.

Repeat.
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #39 on: October 09, 2008, 10:41:57 AM

If I'm going to start a PQ with a group, I'd like to finish it. Just the way I'm built, I guess. Coming back from a scenario to do the same 125 peasants again doesn't seem like an opportunity, it seems like a jail sentence.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #40 on: October 09, 2008, 11:14:39 AM

If I'm going to start a PQ with a group, I'd like to finish it. Just the way I'm built, I guess. Coming back from a scenario to do the same 125 peasants again doesn't seem like an opportunity, it seems like a jail sentence.

We called that camping in the EQ1 days and it sucked then too.

kildorn
Terracotta Army

Reply #41 on: October 09, 2008, 11:42:23 AM

Camping was waiting for something to spawn, grinding was killing the same 5,000 fozzles millions of times.

Personally, if I want influence, I look for empty PQs with grindy first stages, and I proceed to solo AE grind them on the WP.

If I want gear, I find 3-4 people who are doing a PQ and join em.
Nija
Terracotta Army

Reply #42 on: October 09, 2008, 12:10:56 PM

I wouldn't call it camping. I would call it doing the bare minimum required to get that great chapter reward in between doing the Warhammer Online version of Dustbowl.

Also, at another camp, there was a 21 Warrior Priest and a 22 Shadow Warrior doing the same thing we were doing. The SW would circle strafe them doing his AOE over and over. They were killing an amazing amount of things at once. The shit they were killing was level 23 and 24, too.

They were doing it right, we were only doing it half right. I guess I'll have to get my learn on.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #43 on: October 09, 2008, 12:23:25 PM

I wouldn't call it camping. I would call it doing the bare minimum required to get that great chapter reward in between doing the Warhammer Online version of Dustbowl.

Doing Mourkain Temple then, I see?

Fuck, I hate hate hate that map. It's the twitchy meth addict's version of PVP. DO NOT WANT.

Nija
Terracotta Army

Reply #44 on: October 09, 2008, 12:28:48 PM

Fuck, I hate hate hate that map. It's the twitchy meth addict's version of PVP. DO NOT WANT.

Yessir. I'm about to graduate to the "Goldrush only" server that is Tor Anroc. When you're doing good; it's good. When you're not; fuck.
schild
Administrator

Reply #45 on: October 09, 2008, 12:37:29 PM

After your 50th time or so, you can't really do Tor Anroc "badly." Once in a blue moon during a blowout, but if you get one solo kill, a good 2k exp will drop. It's just Not Hard. I wish the scoreboard actually calculated all the EXP you got.
Vinadil
Terracotta Army

Reply #46 on: October 09, 2008, 12:46:16 PM

I think the point that was missed by Mythic was that: MYTHIC DOESN'T DO PVE WELL.  MYTHIC DOES PVP WELL!

More PvP exp.  More pvp rewards (gear, titles, etc.).  More pvp playstyle (not scenery) options.  Players should be able to seamlessly level from 1-40 doing nothing but PvP without it seeming like a chore.  When the scenarios start to feel like a pve grind, you've missed the mark.  Encourage world pvp in the tiers more.  If you want us to seige, encourage participation through outstanding xp and rewards.  We don't need many scenarios, we need more open field battles for meaningful and rewarding objectives. 

EDIT: I think my bias is starting to show through and I apologize.  I really wanted more DAoC and less WoW... what I got was WoW with a sprinkle of DAoC and it's killing me on the inside.

I know the 1-40 route has a bit too much PvE in it for some folks... but once you hit 28 the game you are describing is what WAR offers in my mind.  I think 28 is the level that we can get the bolster on our server... and that means I am done levelling at 28.  PvP from that point on and whatever PQ stuff I do to help the guild.  Sure its not a super-easy road to 28, but it is much more enjoyable than any other "level to PvP usefulness" ride I have been through.
Sauced
Terracotta Army

Bat Country '05 Fantasy Football Champion

Reply #47 on: October 09, 2008, 01:15:29 PM

I installed "Don't Log Me Bro" last night to see the impact, and for my low-end machine it made a significant impact.

Link plz?

I installed it through the Curse client, actually, but now that the fix is supposedly in 1.0.2 it shouldn't be necessary.
Nija
Terracotta Army

Reply #48 on: October 09, 2008, 01:24:48 PM

After your 50th time or so, you can't really do Tor Anroc "badly." Once in a blue moon during a blowout, but if you get one solo kill, a good 2k exp will drop. It's just Not Hard. I wish the scoreboard actually calculated all the EXP you got.

My only experiences so far with Tor Anroc was 2 weeks ago when I was playing destruction, and order had a steady stream of badass white lions who never missed that bauble. It was "Fuck." in a huge way, every time.
schild
Administrator

Reply #49 on: October 09, 2008, 01:25:36 PM

Order on Ulthuan got very good at letting Destroy get the bauble after pounce was fixed and then just fucking steamrolling them.

Even with white lions, destroy got the bauble 9 out of 10 times. I only saw one WL ever get it first consistantly - Gevo.
Hawkbit
Terracotta Army

Like a Klansman in the ghetto.

Reply #50 on: October 11, 2008, 08:08:47 AM

Idea:

In each zone a certain random PQ for each side becomes a 'hot target', offering 50% bonus XP/Infamy and a notch up in lootbags (greens become blues... so on).  Once that PQ completes a whole 3-stage cycle, the "hot target" switches to another in the zone that is on Stage 1.

So you might log in and see "<Random PQ Name Here> Needs Help From the Forces of Order!".  You go to that one, get bonus xp and loot.  The idea is that with provided incentives at a single PQ, more people will congregate at just that one, increasing the chances of a group actually completing one. 

Imo, it may revitalize PQs - at least providing possible focus to one at a time.
Venkman
Terracotta Army

Reply #51 on: October 11, 2008, 03:45:56 PM

No, it's Postcount+.

But seriously, I'm amazed that what was pooh-poohed a month or two ago is now a 'srs issue.'  Yeah, pop sucks, PQs suck without pop.  It's only going to get worse and folks have tried to express this before.  Nobody wanted to listen, "it'll all work out"   "new subs and twinks will fill them out" "it's easy enough to solo a few phases then just wait for the timer to reset"

This isn't shit I'm making up, this is what folks on this very board said to those of us who pointed out that PQs not scaling was a dumb idea.  That requiring a TANK to do PQs at all was a dumb idea.  That linking PQs to the realm capture meter was a dumb idea. That PQs with such miniscule influence gains was a bad idea.  That, really, PQs were a nifty idea but just didn't belong in a PVP-centric game in the first place.   Sometimes you just have to laugh.

This. This has been stated this since early beta. T3 PQ2s are not unique. It's a design issue that doesn't account for player migration, which has been a reality in MMOs since before there was a single term for these types of games. It's complicated by an inability to go backgrounds, inability to mentor, and how much of a pita it is to switch realms at young levels.
Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Warhammer Online (Moderator: tazelbain)  |  Topic: PQs are a failure in their current state  
Jump to: