Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 18, 2024, 04:52:11 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Topic: The Boardgame Thread 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 54 55 [56] 57 58 ... 78 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Boardgame Thread  (Read 595489 times)
Stewie
Terracotta Army

Reply #1925 on: May 19, 2016, 06:45:23 AM

Found a cheap copy of Race for the Galaxy recently, finally got to give it a play yesterday. It's kind of... not good. Virtually no player interaction and takes at least a few plays to really understand all the fiddly rules.

While I don't necessarily disagree with what you say here, what your opponents are doing affects you quite a bit. If they are searching for certain types of planets or cards that help those planets you will probably want to stay away or possibly hate settle em. I find that I am frequently trying to base my actions according to my opponents strategy (settle, go for large developments, produce and trade etc). Sometimes piggybacking on action I know they are going to do, occasionally taking actions at inopportune times for them etc.

So while you don't directly interact, (at least in the base game) you are definitely not playing solo.

Professional Forum Lurker.
Ard
Terracotta Army

Reply #1926 on: May 20, 2016, 03:16:40 PM

I'm going to ditto that.  I intentionally sit on cards in my hand that I know other players need, especially the high cost development cards that are the cornerstones of strategies in play.  This is actually one of my favorite card games.
ghost
The Dentist

Reply #1927 on: May 31, 2016, 11:44:20 AM

Played a couple of new games over the weekend:

1.  Roll for the Galaxy-  liked this a lot.  It's like Race for the Galaxy (obviously) but is more accessible, I think.  It's a typical euro style dice-as-workers worker placement game, so don't expect heavy interaction.  Will be playing again.

2.  7 Wonders Duel-  reminds me a lot of All Creatures Big and Small and the smaller Le Havre 2 player game.  It's pretty fun with more direct interaction than you'd think.

3.  Camel Up-  pretty basic racing/betting game.  Very accessible for non-gamers.  Will keep and play again.
Hawkbit
Terracotta Army

Like a Klansman in the ghetto.

Reply #1928 on: May 31, 2016, 12:33:11 PM

Duel is good, but I wish they used full size age cards. Really one of my only complaints.
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #1929 on: May 31, 2016, 03:52:02 PM

Tin Goose - an economic game about aeroplanes from Matt 'Sekigahara' Calkins. It isn't as beautiful as Seki, but it is as good an auction game as I can imagine (I generally dislike auction games). It triggered some very interesting discussions about best strategies, but not much outright love around the table.

Evolution - Using cards to build better creatures in the hope of not starving to death or getting eaten by your neighbour. Nicely interactive mechanics - cards give your creatures traits which trump each other in the competition for food, and despite being able to eat other player's creatures, the game never really feels mean. Even when you build a carnivore you are usually so close to starvation (or to being eaten by something else) that no one can really begrudge you chomping on their leg.

Burgle Bros - Light puzzley coop from Tim Flowers, which sees you sneaking around a building cracking safes, dodging alarms and escaping to the roof for some reason. If you like Pandemic you'll like this, the specific mechanics are very different, but it plays with a similar feel.

"People will not assume that what they read on the internet is trustworthy or that it carries any particular ­assurance or accuracy" - Lord Leveson
"Hyperbole is a cancer" - Lakov Sanite
lamaros
Terracotta Army

Reply #1930 on: May 31, 2016, 09:22:19 PM

Eld, you wrote the same comment on Tin Goose on BGG? :P

Sounds interesting. Not sure it's worth the AUD$80 it's going for here, though.
ghost
The Dentist

Reply #1931 on: June 01, 2016, 08:22:47 AM

Duel is good, but I wish they used full size age cards. Really one of my only complaints.

Every time I play a game with non-standard playing card sizes it makes me stabby.  Unless there is a clear reason for them to be non-standard size, like some of the square card games.
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #1932 on: June 01, 2016, 11:28:01 AM

I fucking hate square cards.

"Hey we need to design some cards so they are much more likely to end up the wrong way up, and at the same time make them impossible to shuffle without splitting sleeves every damn time. SQUAREWARD HO!"

"People will not assume that what they read on the internet is trustworthy or that it carries any particular ­assurance or accuracy" - Lord Leveson
ghost
The Dentist

Reply #1933 on: June 01, 2016, 02:37:20 PM

I'm specifically thinking of the Catan card game versions that require turning of the cards to indicate a specific value.  I'm okay with those. 
Soln
Terracotta Army

the opportunity for evil is just delicious

Reply #1934 on: June 01, 2016, 02:57:28 PM

New (and reprint) Phil Eklund games up for preorder:

Bios Genesis
Pax Renaissance
Pax Renaissance Expansion
Khyber Knives - Pax Pamir Expansion
jgsugden
Terracotta Army

Reply #1935 on: June 01, 2016, 03:42:11 PM

Betrayal at House on the Hill is not for everyone, but those that enjoy it often really love it - and there is finally an expansion coming out this fall: Widow's Walk

2020 will be the year I gave up all hope.
Goldenmean
Terracotta Army

Reply #1936 on: June 01, 2016, 04:52:31 PM

New (and reprint) Phil Eklund games up for preorder:

Oh, thanks for the heads up. I had this open in a tab for a while and went back occasionally to check if the pre-order was up, but my computer rebooted at some point and it fell off of my radar. Really excited for Bios: Genesis especially.
Soln
Terracotta Army

Reply #1937 on: June 01, 2016, 05:36:59 PM

Let us pray that ye olde rules are more clear this time.   Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

It is indeed a good thing when Phil Eklund releaseth a new game.  Almost as much as when Splotter reprints.  Good things in these weird times.
Goldenmean
Terracotta Army

Reply #1938 on: June 01, 2016, 06:06:53 PM

Let us pray that ye olde rules are more clear this time.   Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

It is indeed a good thing when Phil Eklund releaseth a new game.  Almost as much as when Splotter reprints.  Good things in these weird times.

You've got to love a rulebook with a bibliography.

I'm pretty new to the Eklund-sphere, but I've picked up all of the recent Pax stuff and Neanderthal/Greenland, and am twiddling my thumbs like everyone else for the High Frontier kickstarter. Maybe one of these days I'll actually be able to sell my gaming group on playing them, but for now, I've enjoyed just reading the rules and messing around solo.
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #1939 on: June 04, 2016, 08:08:42 PM

Anyone else interested in Massive Darkness? KS is going up June 7. Guillotine Games' (Zombicide) take on a dungeon crawler. I think with the refinements they've developed for Black Plague it might be a good time for this.
lamaros
Terracotta Army

Reply #1940 on: June 04, 2016, 08:11:32 PM

Anyone else interested in any kickstarter game?

Adjusted, and answer is always no, unless it's a reprint from a reliable publisher.
Thrawn
Terracotta Army

Reply #1941 on: June 04, 2016, 09:21:24 PM

Anyone else interested in Massive Darkness? KS is going up June 7. Guillotine Games' (Zombicide) take on a dungeon crawler. I think with the refinements they've developed for Black Plague it might be a good time for this.

Guillotine Games, so it will make millions of dollars, ship late, and be available on Amazon for half the price of the Kickstarter BEFORE you get your Kickstarter copy delivered.

"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the Universe is that none of it has tried to contact us."
Goldenmean
Terracotta Army

Reply #1942 on: June 04, 2016, 11:49:48 PM

Anyone else interested in Massive Darkness?

I love a good dungeon crawler, but I was thoroughly unimpressed by Zombicide, and considering it's probably going to be several hundred dollars all in, I can't see myself backing this unless they put the rules up and it looks drop dead amazing.

I've still got Middara, Swords and Sorcery, Masmorra, Gloomhaven, Perdition's Mouth, Arcadia Quest: Inferno, Lobotomy and the new Super Dungeon Explore en route anyway, so my dungeon crawling dance card is going to be pretty full regardless.
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #1943 on: June 05, 2016, 08:28:12 AM

I don't care for chibi and don't currently have a dungeon crawler. I like GG's stuff, so I'll probably snag a copy.
Rendakor
Terracotta Army

Reply #1944 on: June 05, 2016, 09:57:57 AM

I didn't really care for Zombicide either.

"i can't be a star citizen. they won't even give me a star green card"
Teleku
Terracotta Army

https://i.imgur.com/mcj5kz7.png

Reply #1945 on: June 05, 2016, 10:20:08 AM

Adjusted, and answer is always no, unless it's a reprint from a reliable publisher.
Quite a lot of us are interested in Kickstarter games.   awesome, for real

Having said that, in the case of Massive Darkness, don't see much that's very enticing about it.  And as Sky said, I've still got Swords and Sorcery, and Gloomhaven coming along similar lines.

"My great-grandfather did not travel across four thousand miles of the Atlantic Ocean to see this nation overrun by immigrants.  He did it because he killed a man back in Ireland. That's the rumor."
-Stephen Colbert
lamaros
Terracotta Army

Reply #1946 on: June 06, 2016, 02:36:46 AM

Quite a lot of us are interested in Kickstarter games.   awesome, for real

Having said that, in the case of Massive Darkness, don't see much that's very enticing about it.  And as Sky said, I've still got Swords and Sorcery, and Gloomhaven coming along similar lines.

Fools and their money!
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #1947 on: June 06, 2016, 07:01:10 AM

Fools and their money!
No need to be a cunt about it.
jgsugden
Terracotta Army

Reply #1948 on: June 06, 2016, 07:26:34 AM

Fools and their money!
You are aware that this is f13, right?

2020 will be the year I gave up all hope.
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #1949 on: June 06, 2016, 07:41:24 AM

Fools and their money!
You are aware that this is f13, right?
Yes, the place where telling someone not to be a cunt is a playful jab  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?
lamaros
Terracotta Army

Reply #1950 on: June 06, 2016, 05:09:41 PM

Yeah I'm expecting Sky's reply was in the same spirit as my comment.  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #1951 on: June 08, 2016, 08:11:45 AM

Speaking of GG, the DLC for Zombicide in Tabletop Simulator is now up on Steam: http://store.steampowered.com/app/468726/
Thrawn
Terracotta Army

Reply #1952 on: June 08, 2016, 04:51:30 PM

Speaking of GG, the DLC for Zombicide in Tabletop Simulator is now up on Steam: http://store.steampowered.com/app/468726/

Well that seems like it would be a huge waste of $7.  I'm sure you can find dozens of better video games of a similar genre and type to play online with people.

"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the Universe is that none of it has tried to contact us."
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #1953 on: June 08, 2016, 08:04:18 PM

Just mentioned it because we're talking about GG and Zcide is a popular game.
MrHat
Terracotta Army

Out of the frying pan, into the fire.

Reply #1954 on: June 09, 2016, 06:02:14 AM

The Pathfinder Adventures iOS app, which is a port of the Pathfinder Adventure Card Game, is free and fantastic.
Soln
Terracotta Army

Reply #1955 on: June 09, 2016, 08:59:25 AM

I just looked and I can't tell if it's the full game or "something else"?  If it's the full game for free, then holy shit.  Thank ye for posting!
Hawkbit
Terracotta Army

Like a Klansman in the ghetto.

Reply #1956 on: June 10, 2016, 07:09:52 AM

The Pathfinder Adventures iOS app, which is a port of the Pathfinder Adventure Card Game, is free and fantastic.

Yes, thanks for posting this. I bought the box game when it came out and I really liked the idea, but it felt too fiddly and I knew if they made a version that handled all of the fiddly rules behind the scenes it would be good. So, yeah. This is the exact version I was looking for.
Lucas
Terracotta Army

Further proof that Italians have suspect taste in games.

Reply #1957 on: June 10, 2016, 11:35:35 AM

Purchased a copy of Eldritch Horror (never played Arkham or Elder Sign) loved it, although i failed miserably on my first solo attempt. Nice theme atmosphere, great cards, mechanics are good for what it is. Longevity seems fine, i look forward to buying the xpacs :). Setup is a bit too much on the long-ish side (nothing compare to Arkham, from what I read), and made me realize I really should start purchasing those card/token holders.

" He's so impatient, it's like watching a teenager fuck a glorious older woman." - Ironwood on J.J. Abrams
MrHat
Terracotta Army

Out of the frying pan, into the fire.

Reply #1958 on: June 10, 2016, 05:41:57 PM

I just looked and I can't tell if it's the full game or "something else"?  If it's the full game for free, then holy shit.  Thank ye for posting!

You start with 3 characters unlocked and I think the original adventure and a random quest mode.

Everything you do earns quite a bit of gold that you use to unlock more adventures and more characters.  No need for any real money, the gold comes way fast enough for everything.
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #1959 on: June 14, 2016, 02:08:55 AM

Also, don't bother with story mode. It seems to quickly hit a paywall.

Random quest mode is much better designed.

Pages: 1 ... 54 55 [56] 57 58 ... 78 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Topic: The Boardgame Thread  
Jump to: