Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 18, 2024, 08:00:12 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: So, what're you playing? 0 Members and 12 Guests are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 213 214 [215] 216 217 ... 445 Go Down Print
Author Topic: So, what're you playing?  (Read 2236389 times)
Malakili
Terracotta Army

Reply #7490 on: June 23, 2013, 10:38:32 AM

Well, that ended somewhat like I expected.

How anyone can get past the horrible graphics of Dwarven Fortress to play it is beyond me. I suppose that might be the point; to keep out the riff raff?

Any good DF type games only with a decent interface on the horizon?

Hell, I could deal with the ascii graphics is the UI wasn't so arcane. 

I guess the most interesting looking thing coming is Stonehearth.
MournelitheCalix
Terracotta Army

Reply #7491 on: June 23, 2013, 07:15:34 PM

I am currently playing Orcs Must Die 2.  There is nothing else right now out there that I am even remotely interested in game wise.

Born too late to explore the new world.
Born too early to explore the universe.
Born just in time to see liberty die.
Tannhauser
Terracotta Army

Reply #7492 on: June 24, 2013, 02:50:59 AM

Playing Duel of the Champions, an online CCG.  You pick a hero and build a deck that hero can use with faction and neutral specific cards.  Also specific spell and general fortune cards.  The battlefield is four ranks in front for melee types and four in the back for 'shooter' and healer types.  If there is a hole in your lines, the enemy can do damage to your hero.  At zero health the hero dies and you lose. 

You can play the campaign, but mostly will be playing other players ranked at your level.  It's fast, polished and fun. 

Since it's a CCG, you must buy packs to get new cards and there's no trading so if you want four of the same rare, you're going to have to open your wallet or keep playing and amassing gold and runes.  I have spent any money yet and have over 250 cards in my collection. 

Those of you waiting for Hex or Hearthstone should try this out.
Tebonas
Terracotta Army

Reply #7493 on: June 24, 2013, 03:09:45 AM

Grabbed Driftmoon and the lastest GoG-Sale and am now rather enjoying it.

Plus, still Warhammer Quest on my iPad. That game is sucking its batteries dry like there is no tomorrow, though.
PalmTrees
Terracotta Army

Reply #7494 on: June 24, 2013, 10:13:32 AM

I finished Portal 2. Fun game with amusing characters, loved the ending song. Will pick up Portal 1, eventually. Started Disgaea 3, which I've had sitting around for ages. Still working through the bounty hunter story in Swtor.
Rasix

I am the harbinger of your doom!

Reply #7495 on: June 24, 2013, 10:28:40 AM

Well, that ended somewhat like I expected.

How anyone can get past the horrible graphics of Dwarven Fortress to play it is beyond me. I suppose that might be the point; to keep out the riff raff?

Any good DF type games only with a decent interface on the horizon?

Hah, and those are upgraded graphics using a tileset.  Normally, you're just going to ampersands, colored dots, and ascii smiley faces.

Graphics aren't really the problem for getting into DF.  Like it's been mentioned, it's the horrible interface.  He's also made some changes that have just made it worse.  The military stuff, which used to be fairly easy to understand, is now just a pain in the ass to deal with. It has a lot more potential for automation and micromanagement, but doing basic things with it is a gigantic hassle.   He keeps adding complexity where I wish he'd just clean some stuff up.

I'm not sure any attempt coming up is going to capture the magic of DF.  It would be cool is someone does, but I fear it's going to sacrifice a lot of depth for accessibility.  However, we'll still have DF for that, and once you've learned how to ride that bike, you can always go back to it.

Still playing The Last of Us.  Getting somewhat closer to the end.  What an emotionally exhausting game.  

-Rasix
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #7496 on: June 24, 2013, 12:02:54 PM

I finished Portal 2. Fun game with amusing characters, loved the ending song. Will pick up Portal 1, eventually.

Oh, jeez, played in the wrong order.  Or right order? why so serious?

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
They called it The Prayer, its answer was law
Mommy come back 'cause the water's all gone
Bunk
Contributor

Operating Thetan One

Reply #7497 on: June 24, 2013, 12:06:36 PM

Started playing Saints Row 3 again. Discovered how to punch people in the dick, and that there's an in game achievement for it.

"Welcome to the internet, pussy." - VDL
"I have retard strength." - Schild
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #7498 on: June 24, 2013, 12:29:10 PM

There's a button for that?  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

I gave up on the shitty team I was trying to build in Football Manager 2013 (seriously, a Serbian side named Novi Sad really did give me a sad). I decided to go back to Arkham City and try to finish it up. It ran fine for a little while, but then I found a few spots where my performance just goes to shit again. And BTW... fuck you, Ra's Al Ghul dream sequence. Fuck you in the goatass.

Jeff Kelly
Terracotta Army

I'm an apathetic, hedonistic, utilitarian, nihilistic existentialist.

Reply #7499 on: June 25, 2013, 04:03:14 AM

I'm now halfway through XCom on the iPad. The port is rather good and I've had no issues so far so if anybody is still interested in XCom but had refrained from buying it when it came out on consoles and the PC he could get it at a bargain price.

I don't suppose I'll finish the campaign though, because after having already finished the game twice on the 360 I'm bored right now. The gameplay is much to repetitive to make repeated playthroughs enjoyable.

Since I know how to do the base building and strategy part I'm at full satellite coverage now and have massive research and construction credits from the stunned and interrogated aliens (catch each alien once as soon as it shows up and you'll run out of materials to fuel your research). So it's July and all I need to do now is finding a psionically gifted toon and then level him up so that I can use the gollop chamber. That means that I've basically finished the campaign except for farming missions until my toons have decent psi powers.

The game is great but you can see that the pacing is off. I only need to run misions now to gather resources and level toons and the tactical layer aspect of the  missions is neither challenging nor varied enough to hold my interest any longer.

I've now played the first phoenix wright case on the ipad and the while the game is fun the controls are irritating and mindnumbingly awful. The fact that I have to press "continue..." after each panel of text is infuriating (especially since there is just a whole lot of text) and the fact that you don't have a transcript of the testimonies and instead get every testimony repeated to you (with lot's more of presses of the skip button) is making me give up on the game.

I'm much quicker at reading than the game displays text and the fact that I have to wait until a text panel is finished and then have to press "skip" repeatedly makes me hate an otherwise interesting game.
koro
Terracotta Army

Reply #7500 on: June 26, 2013, 02:28:19 PM

Finally started playing the first Witcher game for realz. The furthest I ever got was to the inn just after the intro area, so I've done basically none of this game. I sort of want to just meander through the game on my own, but I have this itching feeling between my shoulders that I'm going to miss so damn much if I don't have a guide next to me.
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #7501 on: June 26, 2013, 02:56:41 PM

Finally started playing the first Witcher game for realz. The furthest I ever got was to the inn just after the intro area, so I've done basically none of this game. I sort of want to just meander through the game on my own, but I have this itching feeling between my shoulders that I'm going to miss so damn much tits if I don't have a guide next to me.
Rasix

Reply #7502 on: June 26, 2013, 03:00:17 PM

Yah, there's some tits I missed on the first pass.  That required another play through.  Plus, you can't have an import for Witcher 2 that didn't capture all of the boobies. It just wouldn't be right.

« Last Edit: June 29, 2013, 11:53:08 PM by Rasix »

-Rasix
Malakili
Terracotta Army

Reply #7503 on: June 29, 2013, 06:05:02 PM

I downloaded Star-Made today and puttered around a bit.  Pretty rough, but kind of fun in its novelty.  I'm wondering if he is going to patch in a game at some point, but building starships minecraft style and flying them around is fun enough.
Tairnyn
Terracotta Army

Reply #7504 on: June 29, 2013, 07:05:35 PM

Playing a lot of Rogue Legacy. I'm pretty terrible with the magic classes, and usually my death is due to stupidity or impatience, but it feels great when you have a good run and can buy upgrades. I really like how getting new blueprints and runes is actually a relatively uncommon occurrence. I've told myself "just one more run...." a few times only to keep playing for another hour.

Also Duel of Champions, which is definitely worth the $0.
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #7505 on: June 29, 2013, 08:57:59 PM

I like a lot about that Rogue Legacy except that it's a platformer. What the hell is it with platformers lately, they're fucking everywhere.
Paelos
Contributor

Error 404: Title not found.

Reply #7506 on: June 29, 2013, 09:03:07 PM

I like a lot about that Rogue Legacy except that it's a platformer. What the hell is it with platformers lately, they're fucking everywhere.

To me it seems like a combo of nostalgia and because they are easy to develop. Indie devs are shoving them in our faces because they apparently sell. I can't stand them anymore really.

CPA, CFO, Sports Fan, Game when I have the time
Ard
Terracotta Army

Reply #7507 on: June 29, 2013, 10:24:20 PM

I hate almost all the newer indie platformers.   I love Rogue Legacy.  Take from that what you will.
Rasix

Reply #7508 on: June 29, 2013, 11:44:40 PM

Uggg... platformers.  I don't think I've played one since Limbo.  It was short, but I think 3 hours is about all I can take.

I'll give Rogue Legacy a try eventually.

-Rasix
koro
Terracotta Army

Reply #7509 on: June 30, 2013, 12:40:20 AM

Rogue Legacy has a demo, so it's worth trying regardless.
jakonovski
Terracotta Army

Reply #7510 on: June 30, 2013, 03:11:34 AM

The Last of Us made me want to play Uncharted 3. It's ridiculously disjointed, most of the time the gameplay and cutscenes are actively at odds (spectacular firefight in a castle, using assault rifles, grenades and RPGs --> escape from castle, locals are right outside the doors along with a tourist bus, act like nothing has happened).

Fabricated

~Living the Dream~

Reply #7511 on: June 30, 2013, 08:30:20 AM

Installed and "played" Dear Esther finally. I guess the story is okay? It's really pretty, but a weird experience.

"The world is populated in the main by people who should not exist." - George Bernard Shaw
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #7512 on: June 30, 2013, 05:23:31 PM

Installed and "played" Dear Esther finally. I guess the story is okay? It's really pretty, but a weird experience.
I tried to knock that one off the list recently.

The walking, I couldn't take it.
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #7513 on: June 30, 2013, 06:23:51 PM

I hate almost all the newer indie platformers.   I love Rogue Legacy.  Take from that what you will.
Played the demo. Like the game.

Hate platformers. I wasn't a console gamer as a kid. When everyone was drinking in the living room playing super mario, my friends and I were smoking pot in the bedroom playing Ultima 5.

So for me platformers are die, die, die, die, die, die, die, die...ok enough of that shit.

edit: and thank god you can turn the music off.
Stormwaltz
Terracotta Army

Reply #7514 on: June 30, 2013, 06:51:04 PM

I wasn't a console gamer as a kid. When everyone was drinking in the living room playing super mario, my friends and I were smoking pot in the bedroom playing Ultima 5.

That's pretty much me, except for the pot. And the friends.

Nothing in this post represents the views of my current or previous employers.

"Isn't that just like an elf? Brings a spell to a gun fight."

"Sci-Fi writers don't invent the future, they market it."
- Henry Cobb
lamaros
Terracotta Army

Reply #7515 on: June 30, 2013, 07:18:32 PM

I also proudly hate platformers. Even though I played a lot of Commander Keen as a kid.
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #7516 on: June 30, 2013, 07:47:04 PM

I admit to plenty of hours playing Montezuma's Revenge on the C-64. Also, pot.

Maybe I just need some pot.

DRILLING AND MANLINESS
bhodi

No lie.

Reply #7517 on: June 30, 2013, 08:49:45 PM

I tried to knock that one off the list recently.

The walking, I couldn't take it.

I admit, I went into the console and doubled the walking speed. It made a much more enjoyable game.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #7518 on: June 30, 2013, 09:17:20 PM

I enjoyed Dear Esther but it wasn't a game. An art project, not a game.

I finished the main story of Arkham City and am almost done with the Harley Quinn's Revenge DLC (which is super short - less than 2 hours and I'm 70% through it). Once I finish that DLC, is there anything I should go back to the main sandboxy game for? I don't care much about the challenge modes and I'm not a got to get 100% completionist. Are there any stories I really have to find before I uninstall the game? I'm also not a Story+ type of guy either - the game was hard enough at points for me, thank you very much.

Jeff Kelly
Terracotta Army

I'm an apathetic, hedonistic, utilitarian, nihilistic existentialist.

Reply #7519 on: July 01, 2013, 01:34:13 AM

The Last of Us made me want to play Uncharted 3. It's ridiculously disjointed, most of the time the gameplay and cutscenes are actively at odds (spectacular firefight in a castle, using assault rifles, grenades and RPGs --> escape from castle, locals are right outside the doors along with a tourist bus, act like nothing has happened).

I've played all of the Uncharted titles and also Tomb Raider and Mass Effect. I feel that "The last of us" really got it right. I've always wondered if someone could find a way to avoid the disconnect between game and cut scenes so often happens in games (just killed hundreds of guys single-handedly in game, stopped by a single foe in the video sequence etc.)

If it get's to out of hand then it lessens games like Tomb Raider where the video tries to tell the story of a frightend girl horrified about what she has to do and then just killing all of the guys or games that in a similar fashion try to tell a classic or grown up story which then getscountermanded by the gameplay.

The last of us has got that right in my opimion and I hope other games follow.
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #7520 on: July 01, 2013, 06:42:35 AM

Mostly Borderlands 2.  Small amount of Grim Dawn, Path of Exile, Terraria (360).  Some GT5.

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
They called it The Prayer, its answer was law
Mommy come back 'cause the water's all gone
MrHat
Terracotta Army

Out of the frying pan, into the fire.

Reply #7521 on: July 01, 2013, 09:27:16 AM

Mostly Borderlands 2.  Small amount of Grim Dawn, Path of Exile, Terraria (360).  Some GT5.

Hows Grim Dawn?
Quinton
Terracotta Army

is saving up his raid points for a fancy board title

Reply #7522 on: July 01, 2013, 07:41:48 PM

What is up with people calling non-turn-based and/or side-scrollers or platformers "roguelikes"?   That just weirds me out.

I guess I consider all of "tile based", "turn based", and "random/procedural content" to be necessary parts of a "roguelike", but maybe I'm just needlessly picky.
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #7523 on: July 01, 2013, 08:10:59 PM

I'm actually ok with that. If you dig side-scrollers, I recommend that one, it's pretty awesome from the small bit I saw beating my head against the wall for about 20 generations. Because even that was fun, my old lady and I laughing at all the kids with gas or tourettes or whatever.
Goldenmean
Terracotta Army

Reply #7524 on: July 01, 2013, 08:50:24 PM

What is up with people calling non-turn-based and/or side-scrollers or platformers "roguelikes"?   That just weirds me out.

I guess I consider all of "tile based", "turn based", and "random/procedural content" to be necessary parts of a "roguelike", but maybe I'm just needlessly picky.

Blame FTL. They called themselves a roguelike-like (and with good cause because they have the random/procedural content and general difficulty of a roguelike), and the name sort of caught on for not necessarily tile/turn based games that happen to share some of the design philosophy of roguelikes (Spelunky, Binding of Isaac, etc.). But because people are lazy, and the term is pretty silly to begin with, people just started dropping the second like and now all sorts of things that could be semi-accurately called roguelike-likes are just inaccurately called roguelikes instead.

Pages: 1 ... 213 214 [215] 216 217 ... 445 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: So, what're you playing?  
Jump to: