Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 05, 2024, 06:35:08 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Warhammer Online (Moderator: tazelbain)  |  Topic: Gold spammers can get around /ignore now? 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Gold spammers can get around /ignore now?  (Read 8483 times)
Threash
Terracotta Army

on: September 27, 2008, 08:08:01 PM

Seriously this is fucking ridiculous, i've been getting spammed ALL day by the same two jackasses offering gold and ignore is simply not working.  Is the function bugged or do this assholes know how to get around it? its getting way out of hand already.

I am the .00000001428%
Sobelius
Terracotta Army

Reply #1 on: September 27, 2008, 08:33:55 PM

Noticed the same thing. Very irritating.

"I may not agree with what you have to say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it." -- Voltaire
"A world without Vin Diesel is sad." -- me
FatuousTwat
Terracotta Army

Reply #2 on: September 27, 2008, 09:39:08 PM

Maybe they figured out a way to name themselves so it is impossible to ignore them?

It seems like I have encountered that in a different game.

Has anyone really been far even as decided to use even go want to do look more like?
schild
Administrator

Reply #3 on: September 27, 2008, 09:44:27 PM

Ironically, I was visited by a CSR about a ticket I put in the other day and he had a more gold-sellery name than actual gold sellers. I think his name was Afjadkers or something.
vex
Terracotta Army

Smock, turban, latex gloves and rubber slippers.

Reply #4 on: September 28, 2008, 03:31:15 AM

I noticed too but the spam mod in curse seems to fix it.
XMackenzie
Terracotta Army

Reply #5 on: September 28, 2008, 08:13:54 AM

The gold sellers got so annoying that I just turned off my incoming tells channel.  Kind of a sledgehammer solution but was getting very irritating.

attention span of a gnat
Threash
Terracotta Army

Reply #6 on: September 28, 2008, 10:58:01 AM

Maybe they figured out a way to name themselves so it is impossible to ignore them?

It seems like I have encountered that in a different game.

Nope i could ignore them just fine, but then i'd keep getting tells from them.  If i tried ignoring them again it just said i had taken them off ignore, and since you cant ignore non existing characters i know i had it right.

I am the .00000001428%
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #7 on: September 28, 2008, 11:03:01 AM

Here's why this happens. It's another one of those little things that reminds you that Mythic is sometimes amateur hour. If a spammer logs off and logs in again, your ignore list no longer affects them. That's right: ignore only works for the play session of a player you've ignored. Plus you only get six ignores. I tested this yesterday with some people.

Way to go on providing high-quality social tools in a social game. Let's just assume that you only use ignore against people you've really found offensive or who are being totally annoying--say someone who spam tells you because you booted them from a group/guild. That's really what /ignore was originally for. So in War, you'll have to redo that each and every time someone like that logs back in again--you have no persistent or permanent ignore.

While I'm at it, let me mention another dumb tactic here: the system messages about the banning of particular named goldsellers. I assume you guys are seeing this on your servers too: a system message will pop up in the center of the screen along the lines of "A foolish dotard named DRGHALSDF has dared annoy the Blood God with his useless attempts to sell gold! For this he has been sent hurtling into the Chaos Void. Let the word go forth: trifle not with these gold sales!"

This is all kinds of dumb in 2008. It feels like a strategy someone might have tried back in 1999--like a live management group was seeing this for the first time, and thinking it was a couple of bad apples. This doesn't reassure the players that there's a systematic response (five seconds after you've heard that DRGHALSDF is hurtling into the void, you get a gold spam from LKDSJFLSAJL), it doesn't have any disincentive value at all to the actual sellers who are no longer some dude who has thought up a wacky business opportunity, etc. If you have to communicate about all the sellers you're getting rid of, do it formally and officially and couple it with some kind of strategy that doesn't feel ad hoc and improvised. If you don't have the tools or the resources to do it on a less-than-ad hoc basis, don't pretend to be doing anything useful.  But the "We have sent ye olde goldsellers into the void" is just fucking pointless.
Threash
Terracotta Army

Reply #8 on: September 28, 2008, 12:43:27 PM

Yeah both those things are seriously retarded.  How the fuck are you going to shame someone who doesn't even speak the language? jesus christ, if they were banning/announcing gold buyers i could see how that you be a detterrent, but currently its just an annoyance almost as bad as the spammers themselves.

I am the .00000001428%
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Auto Assault Affectionado

Reply #9 on: September 28, 2008, 01:29:19 PM

Mythic is such a weird company.

The Transcendent One: AH... THE ROGUE CONSTRUCT.
Nordom: Sense of closure: imminent.
Fordel
Terracotta Army

Reply #10 on: September 28, 2008, 02:34:20 PM

Mythic is such a weird company.

You could always provide feedback on their official forums...

Ohhhhh, I see.

and the gate is like I TOO AM CAPABLE OF SPEECH
d4rkj3di
Terracotta Army

Reply #11 on: September 28, 2008, 02:50:27 PM

Set yourself to be anonymous in the Social Options. You wont show up in any search results, so no gold spam, and you can't be inspected so that no catass purple lover is going to call you a noob after looking at your gear.
rk47
Terracotta Army

The Patron Saint of Radicalthons

Reply #12 on: September 28, 2008, 06:18:55 PM

i thought /hi is a way to hide yourself from search? cause no way they are dialling in random names right? they used the search function!

Colonel Sanders is back in my wallet
AngryGumball
Terracotta Army

Reply #13 on: September 28, 2008, 10:57:40 PM

The public banning message you speak of....I have not seen it in game.

However it reminds me of the MUD 3Kingdoms when someone was caught using old quest cheats that get emailed around. The quests that were slightly changed by the Wizards/Gods/Immortals/Tensor(:P) Everyone in game would get a entire spammed page world message of someone being sent to their death because they used someone else's information to just go thru a quest really quick.
Pendan
Terracotta Army

Reply #14 on: September 29, 2008, 08:11:02 AM

I wrote up a ticket on the first gold spammer to send me a message. Harassment was the closest category. 3 hours later I amended the ticket to say that ignore was not working and he was still sending me messages. 3 days later I get a popup in game that said the matter had been escalated and I would get a out of game email. I also got an in game mail too saying same thing as popup. The out of game email said nothing extra just that had been escalated. 3 days response time on a harassment issue that was long gone.
TheWall
Terracotta Army

Reply #15 on: September 29, 2008, 08:16:29 AM

The gold sellers got so annoying that I just turned off my incoming tells channel.  Kind of a sledgehammer solution but was getting very irritating.

This may be off topic but your pic makes me sad for the good old days of MMOs. Don't do things to remind me of UO!  Cry
Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #16 on: September 29, 2008, 08:21:59 AM

Again, the chat window, Blows hard chunks. Also, you can only have 9 friends. Working as intended?

God i hope not.

Today's How-To: Scrambling a Thread to the Point of Incoherence in Only One Post with MrBloodworth . - schild
www.mrbloodworthproductions.com  www.amuletsbymerlin.com
murdoc
Terracotta Army

Reply #17 on: September 29, 2008, 08:26:35 AM

Again, the chat window, Blows hard chunks. Also, you can only have 9 friends. Working as intended?

God i hope not.

I have WAAAAY more than 9 people on my friends list, dunno what your problem is.

Have you tried the internet? It's made out of millions of people missing the point of everything and then getting angry about it
Pendan
Terracotta Army

Reply #18 on: September 29, 2008, 08:28:30 AM

Mythic's response to how to block gold spammers http://herald.warhammeronline.com/warherald/NewsArticle.war?id=329 Answer: Use a third party Addon. Little warning, I heard the current version of the addon changes your chat window color mappings to the default every time you run.
Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #19 on: September 29, 2008, 08:33:59 AM

God i hope not.

I have WAAAAY more than 9 people on my friends list, dunno what your problem is.

My problem is that i can't add more than 9, it tells me to remove someone to add more. If you have more, than the issue is more serious, because its random then. This happens to me, and my girl.

Today's How-To: Scrambling a Thread to the Point of Incoherence in Only One Post with MrBloodworth . - schild
murdoc
Terracotta Army

Reply #20 on: September 29, 2008, 08:39:56 AM

I'll doublecheck tonight, but since I pretty much add everyone in the guild and their alts to my friends list (why? I go for titles baby!) it appears to work fine for me.

Have you tried the internet? It's made out of millions of people missing the point of everything and then getting angry about it
Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #21 on: September 29, 2008, 08:43:50 AM

My problem is that i can't add more than 9, it tells me to remove someone to add more. If you have more, than the issue is more serious, because its random then. This happens to me, and my girl.
It might be like my ignore list.  I did /ignorelist and the same three or four spammers were repeated several dozen times.

Is there a graphical interface for friends and ignore lists?  It seems silly I have to manage something so integral to an online game with a crappy chat interface.

Hahahaha!  I'm really good at this!
Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #22 on: September 29, 2008, 08:46:46 AM

yes, under "O" (oh) or clicking the "Social panel" heads just the the upper left of the chat window (But like i said before, the hit area for that is up and to the left (off screen at times).

HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #23 on: September 29, 2008, 10:26:29 AM

Mythic's response to how to block gold spammers http://herald.warhammeronline.com/warherald/NewsArticle.war?id=329 Answer: Use a third party Addon. Little warning, I heard the current version of the addon changes your chat window color mappings to the default every time you run.

Yeah, tried that. The shitheels still got through.

EDIT: The worst part about the gold sellers is how needless the whole thing seems to be. FFS, I'm not even level 15 and I have over 3 gold, and that's with spending money on talisman stuff. Money just doesn't seem to be a problem. Maybe it is when I'm trying to get my mount or in the elder game, but I just don't think it will be. It seems like they are chasing a market that doesn't really need to exist.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2008, 10:28:21 AM by HaemishM »

murdoc
Terracotta Army

Reply #24 on: September 29, 2008, 10:48:02 AM

I had over 30g when I hit 20, so was able to buy my mount and still have about 11g left over. This wasn't doing anything special other than withholding my temptation to change my dyes every 30 minutes and picking up scavenging right away and then selling every single little crap trinket I can loot.

Pendan
Terracotta Army

Reply #25 on: September 29, 2008, 02:21:02 PM

With the 4843 account bans Mythic is claiming along with the ease of making money in WAR it is strange how the sellers can afford to be in business with this game. Another thing I am wondering about is I have seen a lot of information about the business of gold selling but never anything on were they buy thier accounts. Are they getting the product whole sale instead of retail pricing?
Threash
Terracotta Army

Reply #26 on: September 29, 2008, 04:00:50 PM

I just got a spam tell for wow gold, lol.

I am the .00000001428%
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #27 on: September 29, 2008, 04:16:32 PM

This thread prompted me to check out a few sites.

$333 USD for 500 gold! 20 gold for $13.99 at the first site, but IGE is listing 27g for $9.95 and 500g for $169.99 on Ungrim, Order.

The REALLY funny part was seeing "New Low Price" on the AoC link and "SALE" for Vanguard.   Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
UnSub
Contributor

Reply #28 on: September 30, 2008, 02:20:05 AM

With the 4843 account bans Mythic is claiming along with the ease of making money in WAR it is strange how the sellers can afford to be in business with this game. Another thing I am wondering about is I have seen a lot of information about the business of gold selling but never anything on were they buy thier accounts. Are they getting the product whole sale instead of retail pricing?

If you are playing for free, it doesn't matter if your account gets banned.

Credit card charge backs are one option if the game has been purchased from a store, but the easier way would be using fake credit card info (I don't know when EA / Mythic validate the card, so it might just have to pass some basic number tests) and a key gen application to fake a WAR key. If the account only lasts 3 days, it's an easy and cheap system.

Pendan
Terracotta Army

Reply #29 on: September 30, 2008, 11:05:08 AM

If you are playing for free, it doesn't matter if your account gets banned.

Credit card charge backs are one option if the game has been purchased from a store, but the easier way would be using fake credit card info (I don't know when EA / Mythic validate the card, so it might just have to pass some basic number tests) and a key gen application to fake a WAR key. If the account only lasts 3 days, it's an easy and cheap system.
A credit card company is not going to let you charge back more than a few purchases of the same item on one card. If you have thousands of cards with different names and address I would think you had better ways to make illegal money than purchasing game boxes for MMORPG gold selling.

Very few online stores don’t at least verify the entered address matches the card number before sending a product. An online store will go out of business pretty fast otherwise. Not only do you lose the amount of that sale but also your credit card processing fees go up or processing ability is totally removed.

A WAR key generation application sounds like more problems for AE than just gold sellers. I know WoW does immediate card validation because I once miss typed my address.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Warhammer Online (Moderator: tazelbain)  |  Topic: Gold spammers can get around /ignore now?  
Jump to: