Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 13, 2024, 08:06:05 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  MMOG Discussion  |  Topic: Who DOES Blizzard need to fear? 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Who DOES Blizzard need to fear?  (Read 129191 times)
WayAbvPar

Reply #350 on: November 16, 2006, 09:31:59 AM

Serek Dmart, Serek Dmart, Serek Dmart.

You are a very bad man.

When speaking of the MMOG industry, the glass may be half full, but it's full of urine. HaemishM

Always wear clean underwear because you never know when a Tory Government is going to fuck you.- Ironwood

Libertarians make fun of everyone because they can't see beyond the event horizons of their own assholes Surlyboi
Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #351 on: November 16, 2006, 10:28:17 AM

Oops, wrong guy... or is it?

"Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other."

-  Mark Twain
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #352 on: November 16, 2006, 11:30:32 AM

The one in your picture is better looking, and likely doesn't smell like Jovan Musk.

Daeven
Terracotta Army

Reply #353 on: November 16, 2006, 12:09:09 PM

*Attempts counter spell*

BC3k is the blestestest Flight simulator / ground combat / driving / HR emulator / Space combat / Elite Clone released by 3 publishers EVER!

Joe Huffington is the devil!

Coke Machines do not kick back!

*flees*

"There is a technical term for someone who confuses the opinions of a character in a book with those of the author. That term is idiot." -SMStirling

It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion
squirrel
Contributor

Reply #354 on: November 16, 2006, 07:55:45 PM

You seriously think they'll get another 800k users because they added an end game expansion people cant access until the current level cap? Tell you what I'll trade you crack, mines apparently pretty good. (I'll give them 50K + more accounts as en estimate but those are all the banned gold farmers releveling toons)

Quote from: squirrel
No upcoming title can even be categorized as a threat to WoW IMO. I'm looking forward to Warhammer, but it won't get more than 250k. Noone will. Come January with Burning Crusade WoW will hit 8+ Million worldwide in 2k7. Vanguard will dissapoint big-time #'s wise.

Um, yeah I think they'll EASILY get 800k more subs in 2007 to get to 8 million. Which is what I said (above), not solely based on the BC expac. If you seriously think they will only get another 50k subs in 2007 you're not on crack, you're mentally deficient.

Which I don't believe because I somewhat agree on your stance regarding smaller niche titles - PotBS is one I'm looking forward to. But I don't believe that any major publisher will establish a comprehensive enough stable to threaten Blizz/Vivendi. Hence why I don't think Blizzard fears that at all.

Speaking of marketing, we're out of milk.
Cheddar
I like pink

Noob Sauce

Reply #355 on: November 16, 2006, 07:57:59 PM

Look kids, its simple.  WoW is the new USA.  Get used to it.

No Nerf, but I put a link to this very thread and I said that you all can guarantee for my purity. I even mentioned your case, and see if they can take a look at your lawn from a Michigan perspective.
Endie
Terracotta Army

Reply #356 on: November 21, 2006, 08:19:16 AM

You are a very bad man.

He should know that Serek Dmart, PhD is only to be mentioned in italics, and even then, with reverence.

My blog: http://endie.net

Twitter - Endieposts

"What else would one expect of Scottish sociopaths sipping their single malt Glenlivit [sic]?" Jack Thompson
Venkman
Terracotta Army

Reply #357 on: November 21, 2006, 01:08:42 PM

You seriously think they'll get another 800k users because they added an end game expansion people cant access until the current level cap? Tell you what I'll trade you crack, mines apparently pretty good. (I'll give them 50K + more accounts as en estimate but those are all the banned gold farmers releveling toons)

Um, yeah I think they'll EASILY get 800k more subs in 2007 to get to 8 million. Which is what I said (above), not solely based on the BC expac. If you seriously think they will only get another 50k subs in 2007 you're not on crack, you're mentally deficient.
And I completely agree. It's not about the 60-70 grind nor about the new races nor about the new crafting nor about the new zones. It's about all of it, kitchen-sink design.

But more importantly, it's not about increasing the current numbers by 800k or more. It's about getting back everyone who's left. I have no idea how many people have left, and how many new players have come to push their number over 7.5mil, but I would guess they've at least lost 2mil accounts in two years (about 20% loss maybe).

My best is they hit at least 9mil, with a very real shot at 10mil. They probably won't sustain that into the summer, as everyone who returns will quickly remember why they left in the face of new content that isn't so fundamentally different from what's already there. And that is a real danger for Blizzard. The hype of their success has dragged in lots of previously-resistant players. It'll be interesting to see if the negativity of a decline would accelerate that decline.

But I wholly expect Blizzard to stop reporting numbers long before they show a decline if one comes.

[/quote]
Endie
Terracotta Army

Reply #358 on: November 22, 2006, 01:12:47 AM

But I wholly expect Blizzard to stop reporting numbers long before they show a decline if one comes.

You may well think that, and you might even be right.

But Blizzard's Chinese partner is less able to shield such info from investors.  So we know that use of WoW is down 10% in China this quarter:

"The fall in revenue comes as long-term users begin to desert the aging game in China."

I have no doubt that they are right to suggest that numbers will spike again with the release of TBC.  I admit that I seem to be the only person who thinks that The Burning Crusade is a terrible expansion, with largely insubstantial changes to make the factions even more identical ("balanced") and nothing new in the crucial 20-60 range beyond grinding a new tradeskill in the worst crafting game I've played in ages.  But still, does anyone think that TBC will string teh same people along for another 2 years?

Twitter - Endieposts

"What else would one expect of Scottish sociopaths sipping their single malt Glenlivit [sic]?" Jack Thompson
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #359 on: November 22, 2006, 01:20:28 AM

You may well think that, and you might even be right.

But Blizzard's Chinese partner is less able to shield such info from investors.  So we know that use of WoW is down 10% in China this quarter:

"The fall in revenue comes as long-term users begin to desert the aging game in China."
Maybe those vnunet guys should've listened to the conference call.
Xuri
Terracotta Army

몇살이세욬ㅋ 몇살이 몇살 몇살이세욬ㅋ!!!!!1!

Reply #360 on: November 22, 2006, 01:27:54 AM

In other news, Funcom have apparently decided to let players group(link) with other players during the 20 initial "single player"-levels of Age of Conan, after listening to feedback from their testers in closed beta.

-= Ho Eyo He Hum =-
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #361 on: November 22, 2006, 01:33:59 AM

Shock, Horror.

rolleyes

"Mr Soft Owl has Seen Some Shit." - Sun Tzu
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

a polyamorous pansexual genderqueer born and living in the wrong country

Reply #362 on: November 22, 2006, 01:49:34 AM

You all know I am crazy, sickfuck, broken and whatever. But coherently with my prediction, enter the 2008 Wow-killer, also called internally "WoW 2.0".

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d-p9-ABGG_g

Trippy
Administrator

Reply #363 on: November 22, 2006, 02:01:16 AM

You all know I am crazy, sickfuck, broken and whatever. But coherently with my prediction, enter the 2008 Wow-killer, also called internally "WoW 2.0".

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d-p9-ABGG_g
More like "WoW 1.1". I'm mean, that's like the best they can do after all this time? How about aiming a little higher next time?
Endie
Terracotta Army

Reply #364 on: November 22, 2006, 02:07:03 AM

It's nice that the poster is trying to recreate that mid-90's WFB heyday thing with the soundtrack.  I think that the last time I heard Megadeath's "Symphony of Destruction" was a decade ago, in the Games Workshop shop in Edinburgh.  I expect Bolt-Thrower or some other Norwegian Death Metal band on the next one.

Twitter - Endieposts

Trippy
Administrator

Reply #365 on: November 22, 2006, 02:23:57 AM

It's nice that the poster is trying to recreate that mid-90's WFB heyday thing with the soundtrack.  I think that the last time I heard Megadeath's "Symphony of Destruction" was a decade ago, in the Games Workshop shop in Edinburgh.  I expect Bolt-Thrower or some other Norwegian Death Metal band on the next one.
Except that Mythic ditched the "dark" style that Climax originally developed that more closely matched WH's illustration and art style and went with the brightly colored cartoon style of the 'Eavy Metal painted miniatures (which, oddly enough, looks a lot like what Blizzard did with WarCraft).
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

a polyamorous pansexual genderqueer born and living in the wrong country

Reply #366 on: November 22, 2006, 02:26:12 AM

More like "WoW 1.1". I'm mean, that's like the best they can do after all this time? How about aiming a little higher next time?

You are not so far from the truth, but that's what I used to say for the whole 2003 and 2004 watching to WoW pre-release screenshots.

Endie
Terracotta Army

Reply #367 on: November 22, 2006, 02:36:02 AM

Except that Mythic ditched the "dark" style that Climax originally developed that more closely matched WH's illustration and art style and went with the brightly colored cartoon style of the 'Eavy Metal painted miniatures (which, oddly enough, looks a lot like what Blizzard did with WarCraft).

Yeah, I really liked the darker art style they were going with in the cancelled version.  The sewers under one of the cities (Middenheim?) in particular looked pretty promising.

Twitter - Endieposts

Simond
Terracotta Army

Reply #368 on: November 22, 2006, 03:44:04 AM

By 'cancelled' you mean 'vapourware', yes? Climax were the (software pirating) developers who grabbed random people off the street to bulk out their headcount whenever investors were wandering round the offices, iirc. That version of Warhammer Online was about as likely to ship as Dawn or the original, permadeath, version of MEO/LOTRO.

Anyway, WAR will be DAoC v2 - Mythic will try and 'fix' everything wrong with WoW (as per DAoC:EQ), introduce a whole bunch more problems, be unable to balance PvE & PvP (*cough*Trials of Atlantis*cough*), and ultimately end up with less subs than the game they were trying to improve upon. In my opinion, natch.

Plus, you know, EA.

"You're really a good person, aren't you? So, there's no path for you to take here. Go home. This isn't a place for someone like you."
Arthur_Parker
Terracotta Army

Internet Detective

Reply #369 on: November 22, 2006, 02:32:21 PM

I'm a bit of a fanboy for WAR but that video wasn't very good.
Lt.Dan
Terracotta Army

Reply #370 on: November 22, 2006, 02:46:28 PM

I'm a bit of a fanboy for WAR but that video wasn't very good.

Yeah, what's up with the dwarf's giant steps?
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  MMOG Discussion  |  Topic: Who DOES Blizzard need to fear?  
Jump to: