Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 14, 2024, 10:57:54 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  MMOG Discussion  |  Topic: What's in Smed's Head? 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: What's in Smed's Head?  (Read 4908 times)
Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

on: January 27, 2006, 07:19:57 AM

For anyone who gives a toss. 

http://feeds.feedburner.com/stationblog

My Sig Image: hath rid itself of this mortal coil.
Surlyboi
Terracotta Army

eat a bag of dicks

Reply #1 on: January 27, 2006, 07:21:22 AM

It's a scarier place than I thought...

Tuned in, immediately get to watch cringey Ubisoft talking head offering her deepest sympathies to the families impacted by the Orlando shooting while flanked by a man in a giraffe suit and some sort of "horrifically garish neon costumes through the ages" exhibit or something.  We need to stop this fucking planet right now and sort some shit out. -Kail
Soln
Terracotta Army

the opportunity for evil is just delicious

Reply #2 on: January 27, 2006, 07:28:13 AM

now *that's* manipulation.  Or attempted manipulation.

Amazing that blogs have become such a marketing/PR tool so fast.
sarius
Terracotta Army

Reply #3 on: January 27, 2006, 07:33:31 AM

No worries. Smed only post when he has to prop up a board meeting or two.  Frankly, I preferred when he never said anything, though.  At least then we could imagine that SOE had management.

It's always our desire to control that leads to injustice and inequity. -- Mary Gordon
“Call it amnesty, call it a banana if you want to, but it’s earned citizenship.” -- John McCain (still learning English apparently)
Roac
Terracotta Army

Reply #4 on: January 27, 2006, 07:36:29 AM

So what PC Gamer did took a lot of guts… and I applaud them for it. Turning away money is never an easy thing to do..

No applaud necessary.  It's very likely that SOE put pressure on them to not print ads for IGE, due to being unwanted competition - and competition that can get users in trouble (banned).  Wouldn't be anything unusual or especially sinister about it if it did happen, since that sort of arm twisting is common in mags.

-Roac
King of Ravens

"Young people who pretend to be wise to the ways of the world are mostly just cynics. Cynicism masquerades as wisdom, but it is the farthest thing from it. Because cynics don't learn anything. Because cynicism is a self-imposed blindness, a rejection of the world because we are afraid it will hurt us or disappoint us." -SC
Shockeye
Staff Emeritus

Skinny-dippin' in a sea of Lee, I'd propose on bended knee...

Reply #5 on: January 27, 2006, 07:38:11 AM

I would not be suprised if someone at SOE called someone at PCGamer and told them they'd be "disappointed" if there were IGE ads. I'm sure everyone knew what "disappointment" meant without anyone having to clarify. That's if something like this happened which I'm sure it could have.
Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #6 on: January 27, 2006, 07:50:25 AM

Kneecapping?  Like the mafia?  I didn't know game company men were so hard. 

I'm very excited.

Shockeye
Staff Emeritus

Skinny-dippin' in a sea of Lee, I'd propose on bended knee...

Reply #7 on: January 27, 2006, 07:52:41 AM

I'm very excited.

You obviously never saw "The Wizard".
heck
Terracotta Army

Reply #8 on: January 27, 2006, 08:09:40 AM

Let’s face it…farming does happen.

Heh, let's face it: having full groups with names like "asdfjgojt"  controlled by one person does happen.   
Righ
Terracotta Army

Teaching the world Google-fu one broken dream at a time.

Reply #9 on: January 27, 2006, 10:10:48 AM

In SW:G that's a standard crafter.

The camera adds a thousand barrels. - Steven Colbert
Reg
Terracotta Army

Reply #10 on: January 27, 2006, 11:39:46 AM

I'm very excited.

You obviously never saw "The Wizard".

Diana Ross was great in that!
schild
Administrator

Reply #11 on: January 27, 2006, 11:46:45 AM

Is this the tinfoil hat thread?

If not, where do I put the actual blog link?
Righ
Terracotta Army

Teaching the world Google-fu one broken dream at a time.

Reply #12 on: January 27, 2006, 01:36:52 PM

Is this the tinfoil hat thread?

If not, where do I put the actual blog link?

Does it matter? Sticking to the subject was never our strength.

The camera adds a thousand barrels. - Steven Colbert
Miasma
Terracotta Army

Stopgap Measure

Reply #13 on: January 27, 2006, 03:01:00 PM

I fortell a sales spike for Battlefield 2 as all those violently disgruntled SWG fans try to take a shot at him.
Miasma
Terracotta Army

Stopgap Measure

Reply #14 on: January 27, 2006, 03:13:35 PM

Holy Smokes.  I wonder if that's actually his toon.  Eh, probably just someone who made the character after reading that blog.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2006, 03:15:19 PM by Miasma »
Lum
Developers

Hellfire Games

Reply #15 on: January 27, 2006, 06:00:30 PM

I'm pretty certain he knows how to spell his own last name.
Surlyboi
Terracotta Army

eat a bag of dicks

Reply #16 on: January 27, 2006, 10:09:41 PM

Well, it IS Smed we're talking about here...

Tuned in, immediately get to watch cringey Ubisoft talking head offering her deepest sympathies to the families impacted by the Orlando shooting while flanked by a man in a giraffe suit and some sort of "horrifically garish neon costumes through the ages" exhibit or something.  We need to stop this fucking planet right now and sort some shit out. -Kail
heck
Terracotta Army

Reply #17 on: January 28, 2006, 10:17:45 AM

Well, it IS Smed we're talking about here...

"Ok character name...John Smedley.  No wait!  Must remain anonymous.  Need pseudonym...AHA!  S.m.e.d.l.y...Smedly!  Now they'll never know"

Epilogue: in retrospect, this seemed like a heavy handed corny joke.  It was.  Would I do things differently, given the chance to do it over?  Who knows.  But I can say that ever since then, the comedy writing jobs seemed to stop coming.
Typhon
Terracotta Army

Reply #18 on: January 29, 2006, 05:38:23 AM

Lum what the hell is that epilepsy-inducing shit you have as sig?  my eyes hurt.
Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #19 on: January 29, 2006, 06:52:53 AM

I think it's Yogurt!

Venkman
Terracotta Army

Reply #20 on: January 29, 2006, 06:35:06 PM

I would not be suprised if someone at SOE called someone at PCGamer and told them they'd be "disappointed" if there were IGE ads. I'm sure everyone knew what "disappointment" meant without anyone having to clarify. That's if something like this happened which I'm sure it could have.
Does anyone really think PC Gamer is going to have a hard time finding someone else to buy that space?

I saw their move as little more than a cheap attempt at some street cred in a genre they exhibit almost no understanding of at all. They're getting better, but I doubt this move against IGE was about "sticking it to the man" or any of that anti-establishment nonsense people still think Blizzard does too. Like that Verizon commercial, PC Gamer is published by The Man.

They did it because it was safe to do. Like passing anti-cellphone-while-driving laws. That's easier to do than address real problems. Banning IGE is easier than trying to drive up readership to lower the number of pages you need to sell for advertising.
Alkiera
Terracotta Army

The best part of SWG was the easy account cancellation process.

Reply #21 on: January 30, 2006, 08:10:51 AM

I think it's Yogurt!

It is.  And if you thing his avatar is bad, you should see the whole video!

Alkiera

"[I could] become the world's preeminent MMO class action attorney.  I could be the lawyer EVEN AMBULANCE CHASERS LAUGH AT. " --Triforcer

Welcome to the internet. You have the right to remain silent. Anything you say can and will be used as evidence against you in a character assassination on Slashdot.
tazelbain
Terracotta Army

tazelbain

Reply #22 on: January 30, 2006, 08:26:46 AM

They did it because it was safe to do. Like passing anti-cellphone-while-driving laws. That's easier to do than address real problems. Banning IGE is easier than trying to drive up readership to lower the number of pages you need to sell for advertising.

This a huge supposition.  For the former: What are the real problems?  For he later: I see this as a move to garner brownie points by cutting off a minor revenue stream. Especially, they are scoring  brownie points with other advertisers (many of which are antagonistic to places like IGE).

I don't see how either example can be called a whitewash of "real" problems.

"Me am play gods"
Venkman
Terracotta Army

Reply #23 on: January 30, 2006, 10:23:05 AM

Quote from: Tazelbain
This a huge supposition.
Hehe, you think?! ;)

We talk about what the "real problems" all the time. No need to retread ground there.

Otherwise, we mostly agree. They did it to enhance their rep. The only thing I don't agree with is the part about "cutting off a minor revenue stream." They probably replaced the ad space leaser the moment they dropped IGE, which had to happen a month or two before the issue hit the stands anyway. They're fairly popular, so I don't imagine it's impossible to get new ads.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #24 on: January 31, 2006, 11:24:20 AM

so I don't imagine it's impossible to get new ads.

Not when there are reviews to be sold!

Also, this is a great way to cause problems for SOE's competition in at least one aspect, since SOE does offer a competing service.

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  MMOG Discussion  |  Topic: What's in Smed's Head?  
Jump to: