Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 14, 2024, 06:13:18 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  MMOG Discussion  |  Topic: What DKP-System should we use in our Raids? 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: What DKP-System should we use in our Raids?  (Read 1831 times)
Jeff Kelly
Terracotta Army

I'm an apathetic, hedonistic, utilitarian, nihilistic existentialist.

on: November 02, 2005, 07:55:39 AM

OK just as a preface, I do not want this thread to turn into another discussion about the good, the bad or the ugly of DKP systems so please keep on topic.

Our guild is in the process of putting together a MC Raid so we are looking for some kind of system for loot distribution and to encourage attendance. We are a small guild so we need to fill up spots with externals.

Naturally we came across DKP systems for that purpose. I am umwilling to reinvent the wheel so I thought the best way is asking the f13 crowd for help ;-).

What DKP system would you recommend? Which tools are must haves for WoW? Even pointers to existing discussions are welcome.

Thanks in advance.
Nija
Terracotta Army

Reply #1 on: November 02, 2005, 11:28:02 AM

http://206.14.213.30/LuckyLoot.txt

Some guys I know were working on this when we all caught the ban-hammer. DKP sucks.
Threash
Terracotta Army

Reply #2 on: November 02, 2005, 12:43:24 PM

While im a big fan of dkp for large raids if you have to bring guests along then you should just /random.  It either becomes too much of a pain with so many out of guild people in the system or the non guildies will just get screwed if they only get invited once in a while.  If your guild starts doing well in MC soon you will have enough members to do in guild runs, you can use dkp then.  As far as what system to use i think the "points for being on time, for boss attempts and kills and blind bidding on loot" system is probably the best/simplest to use.

I am the .00000001428%
Hoax
Terracotta Army

l33t kiddie

Reply #3 on: November 02, 2005, 12:43:50 PM

Do a quick search of the WoW board, there was a long thread that mostly focused on DKP methods.

A nation consists of its laws. A nation does not consist of its situation at a given time. If an individual's morals are situational, then that individual is without morals. If a nation's laws are situational, that nation has no laws, and soon isn't a nation.
-William Gibson
Morfiend
Terracotta Army

wants a greif tittle

Reply #4 on: November 02, 2005, 02:22:02 PM

Im not sure the name of the DKP system my guild uses, but It it the best one I have seen. Basically works like this.

1) We have set item vaules already ranging between 75 and 400 (for the leaf or eye from Domo, or bindings, and this pays for both quiest parts)
2) When a boss is killed, people who are allow an item (and want it) send a tell to a designated person. That person looks up the DKP rankings, and the highest person how sent a tell gets the item. That person then has that many dkp subtraced from them.
3) Every one in the raid devides the subtraced dkp amongst them.

So, say an item worth 400dkp drops. Player A get the item, and subtracts 400dkp from his total. Every one is the raid gets 10 dkp (if there are 40 poeple).

Tier 1 items range from 75(bracers)-150(chest or shoulders) which tier two is 150 (bracers) - 200 (helm). We havent got very far into BWL so we dont have those items in our DKP list yet. I would think tier 2 chest would be 300dkp. Weapons range from 150(brutality blade) to 300 (badass 2h).

We dont use dkp as a currency, just a method of determing priority. So you can go negitive, or even more negitive. We have caps of 400 and -400. We also have a website that pull information from the game, and automatically gives out DKP.

If no one wants an item, we shard it, and give every one dkp.
Righ
Terracotta Army

Teaching the world Google-fu one broken dream at a time.

Reply #5 on: November 02, 2005, 02:47:53 PM

The Basics
We use a null DKP (or zero sum DKP) system. A null dkp system basically aims at having the total sum of points close to zero at any given point. That is points spent = points earned. Let me give an example:

Magmadar dies and drops

Strikers Mark - 25 pts
Arcanist Leggings - 20 pts
Giantstalkers Leggings -20 pts

Total - 65 pts

A total of 45 people are raiding (40 actually in MC and 5 on standby) so we take the total points of loot and divide it by the total amount of people raiding.

65 / 45 = 1.44 pts

Two things can be concluded from this example. One, the more loot that drops and is bought the more points the raid as a whole earns. Two, if no one spends any points then no one gets any points. Some people do not like this aspect of a null DKP system but in order to keep our total sum around 0 it must be done. With that being said, an item that is not bought, is going to be disenchanted. It is very painful disenchanting something that could possibly be used by someone but in order to keep our sum around zero it must be done.

Standby
Our standby system has not been really documented anywhere so allow me to explain that as well. In order for someone to be eligible for standby points they must meet the following criteria:

* Be ON TIME for the raid. You cannot come on an hour into the raid and go into standby and expect to recieve points. A channel will be setup for players on standby to idle in.
    * You must be on your main or an alt and online during the full duration of the raid. Someone will be doing a roll call at specified points.
    * You must be ready to drop whatever you are doing and come into the raid if you are needed.
    * You must respond whenever you hear this roll call. Disconnects, hic-ups, personal life can all come into play and force you to miss a check-in so a degree of leniency will be given.

The standby system was created to alleviate some of the problems that could occur with us being such a large guild. It is meant to give points to people that join on time but still cannot make it into the raid because its full or for people whose class is already full in the raid. It was not created to allow someone to sit out because they are tired, lazy, or because the bosses that would be killed that night do not drop anything for them.

Item Values
All items will have a predetermined value. All point values will be determined by the officers, and will remain constant. If there is a need for a DKP price change (very rarely, for example an item gets nerfed), price changes will not be applied retroactively.

There will come a time when we move on from a raid zone. Right now MC is our main target. Once we move on to BWL, MC loot will likely go down in price (not retroactive). For example, normal MC items will cost 15 DKP, and normal BWL items will be 20. Once we move on again, it will likely be MC 10, BWL 15, new zone 20, etc.

Some items will not cost DKP, but will be awarded to benefit the guild. For example, engineering schematic or alchemy recipe drops will be given out based on a roll by all 300 skill lvl members present at hte time of the drop.

BOE's
Unpurchased BOE's will be banked indefinately. Any Main in the guild may purchase a BOE for DKP at any time. DKP for these purchases will be divided out to the entire guild. We will be opening the purchase of BOE's to Alts after an item has been in storage for one week. We have no plan to alter the DKP values of these items, nor do we have a plan to sell them at AH in the forseeable future.

Spending Points
Ok so you have points now, how and when do you spend them? That question is easily answered by going (link to EQDKP site). Please, please look at your points before, during, and after the raid. I am currently running the tracker and I know that I make mistakes. Look at your points and see how many you have and make sure that you are recieving points for raids you have gone too. How many points you have earned are just as much your responsibility as mine. Also, I ask that no one rolls on an item without being told that they can. If you are within 5 pts of the player with the highest points on the raid you can roll. Example:

Player 1 has 14 pts, player 2 has 18 pts. Since player 1 is within 5 pts he can roll on X piece of Giantstalkers

If player 1 had 10 pts and player 2 had18 pts any item they both wanted would go to player 2 because he has the most pts and no one is within 5 pts of him.

When an individual buys said loot, the value of that loot is deducted from the players current points. If player 2 had won the item and had 15 pts and the item he bought cost 20 pts he would now have -5 pts. Yes, in our point system you can go into the negatives. If you have negative points you can still win item but your chances are greatly reduced. If you have the highest negative value of tall the people attending the raid that would roll on an item you want then you can still have a shot at winning said item.

In addition a sort of hard cap will be utilized to discourage point hoarding. Once you gain over 100 points, every point you spend will cost you 1.5x, until you get below 100 again. For example, if you have 110 points, and buy something worth 20 points, you will end up at 80 (30 spent).
Similarly, points spent from a score above 200 will cost double, above 300 will cost triple. This sliding scale is in place to encourage people to spend points, rather than have items rot because people are hoarding DKP

Every couple months, everyone’s score will have to be updated, because the total strayed too far away from zero. For example, a guild member could have saved 200 DKP, then quit WoW. The score will have to be updated equally among all members. If someone quits with major negative DKP, then a few DKP will be taken away from everyone to make up for the loss.

The camera adds a thousand barrels. - Steven Colbert
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  MMOG Discussion  |  Topic: What DKP-System should we use in our Raids?  
Jump to: