Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 13, 2024, 06:29:52 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  MMOG Discussion  |  Topic: Whats the EQ1 newbie game like these days? 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Whats the EQ1 newbie game like these days?  (Read 2227 times)
Gorky
Terracotta Army

on: June 16, 2005, 08:53:07 PM

do new players even try to enter the game anymore or is it simply heavily twinked alts of level 70s zipping through the low end? Could a casual explorer/crafter type have fun playing mostly solo? I saw EQ Classic + first 5 expansions available for 9.95 on direct2drive download and it looks very tempting. I used to play a uber casual 48 shaman back in the old days and loved the flavor and feel of the world.
HRose
I'm Special

VIKLAS!

Reply #1 on: June 16, 2005, 08:58:49 PM

do new players even try to enter the game anymore or is it simply heavily twinked alts of level 70s zipping through the low end? Could a casual explorer/crafter type have fun playing mostly solo? I saw EQ Classic + first 5 expansions available for 9.95 on direct2drive download and it looks very tempting. I used to play a uber casual 48 shaman back in the old days and loved the flavor and feel of the world.
They redid the newbie experience recently: http://mobhunter.com/000061.html

-HRose / Abalieno
cesspit.net
Daydreamer
Contributor

Reply #2 on: June 17, 2005, 03:44:16 AM

In other news - everything between 20 and 60 is still hell and underpopulated to boot, unless you have a guild backing you.  And even then its unpleasant.

Server maturation is one of the biggest problems facing new players (and old untwinked players to a lesser extent), especially since every MMO save WoW and CoH are fairly group centric.  I've tried going back to EQ1 and DAoC a few times, and left midgame because groups are hard to come by and soloing is unpleasant.  And my favorite spots like CrushBone and Keltoi Fugi are useless to me without more players.  Oh and the grind still sucks. 

I wonder if its possible to keep the early and midgame as or nearly as lively as they are at launch permanently?

Immaginative Immersion Games  ... These are your role playing games, adventure games, the same escapist pleasure that we get from films and page-turner novels and schizophrenia. - David Wong at PointlessWasteOfTime.com
jpark
Terracotta Army

Reply #3 on: June 17, 2005, 07:12:04 AM

After thinking about this it reminded me of ANOTHER great mistake in EQ2 that it appears EQ itself will mirror on the test server:

Abandoning racial starting areas.

Racial starting areas added a lot of immersion in EQ and surprise were kept in WoW but dropped in EQ2.  Shame that with declining player populations they will use Plane of Knowledge as a surrogate newbie area for "new" EQ players, who will never be exposed to their racial homes in a meaningful way.

EQ is a better game than EQ2.

"I think my brain just shoved its head up its own ass in retaliation.
"  HaemishM.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #4 on: June 17, 2005, 09:05:24 AM

The funny thing is that even in the release days of EQ1, in the pre-Kunark days, the level 1-10 content was decent AND soloable. It was the level 20-50 content that was mostly unsoloable (except for select classes) and where the grind really hit. Esepcially around level 30 when skills stopped being handed out every level or two and the hell levels kicked in. If you've never done level 35 and 40 in EQ during the hell level days before the release of Velious... fucking ugggggh. I'd rather have teeth pulled without anesthetic. Godawful.

EQ is a better game than EQ2.

Unfortunately, this is all too true.

penfold
Terracotta Army

Reply #5 on: June 17, 2005, 12:12:51 PM

EQs new expansion announced, Depths of Darkhollow.

What makes it sort of interesting is no one really noticed, and no one really cared.

http://games.slashdot.org/games/05/06/16/1227213.shtml?tid=209

OK, i know the Games section of /. isnt the busiest anyway but i thought the first post was amusing. It sat there for ages before someone made a first post (an obsession on that site) and that was about the lack of response rather than the expansion itself.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #6 on: June 17, 2005, 12:14:36 PM

I noticed and gave not a shit.

You can play monsters, interesting, you can "exemplar" yourself down to be pets or something for your lower level friends. WTF?

Shockeye
Staff Emeritus

Skinny-dippin' in a sea of Lee, I'd propose on bended knee...

Reply #7 on: June 17, 2005, 12:15:00 PM

Information about the new EQ expansion came out a few days ago. If I thought anyone cared I might've posted it.
El Gallo
Terracotta Army

Reply #8 on: June 17, 2005, 01:48:12 PM

lonely as hell, from what I hear.

There's a much bigger noob crowd on Winter's Roar than a SoE server, I bet.  That's a good place for nostalgia trips.

This post makes me want to squeeze into my badass red jeans.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  MMOG Discussion  |  Topic: Whats the EQ1 newbie game like these days?  
Jump to: