Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 20, 2024, 01:44:01 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Star Wars: The Old Republic  |  Topic: SWTOR 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 345 346 [347] 348 349 ... 402 Go Down Print
Author Topic: SWTOR  (Read 2137254 times)
Tyrnan
Terracotta Army

Reply #12110 on: November 02, 2011, 06:28:20 AM

I have abandoned the TOR forums, except the dev tracker, til the game launches and it becomes a sub only forum.
That doesn't seem to have improved the Rift forums any. Just resubbed at the weekend and decided to head to the class forums (yeah I know Ohhhhh, I see.) to see what had changed. The amount of crying and bitching is truly staggering.
Paelos
Contributor

Error 404: Title not found.

Reply #12111 on: November 02, 2011, 06:43:04 AM

Ah it WAS Yogscast I was thinking of. They make me laugh.

CPA, CFO, Sports Fan, Game when I have the time
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #12112 on: November 02, 2011, 06:53:52 AM

I always loved the official forums for EQ2. Especially the class whining subforums.
Evildrider
Terracotta Army

Reply #12113 on: November 02, 2011, 06:56:37 AM

I have abandoned the TOR forums, except the dev tracker, til the game launches and it becomes a sub only forum.
That doesn't seem to have improved the Rift forums any. Just resubbed at the weekend and decided to head to the class forums (yeah I know Ohhhhh, I see.) to see what had changed. The amount of crying and bitching is truly staggering.

There are always gonna be a high amount of retards on game forums.  It's mainly the GW2 people and the ones that don't even plan on playing the game that bother the shit out of me right now.
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #12114 on: November 02, 2011, 07:32:15 AM

Companies should data mine for players who have subbed for a year of their game without ever posting on the forums. And then get feedback from them, because they're the happy ones not grandstanding or drama whoring. And your game would probably be a lot better for it.
Numtini
Terracotta Army

Reply #12115 on: November 02, 2011, 07:41:39 AM

Companies should data mine for players who have subbed for a year of their game without ever posting on the forums. And then get feedback from them, because they're the happy ones not grandstanding or drama whoring. And your game would probably be a lot better for it.

Or possibly they'd not respond since they forgot they were subscribed  awesome, for real

For feedback, I think most people with a bit of sanity can tell whether or not something is real or just whinging. It seems so easy to me. Yes, the official forums are there, but check the unofficial ones. Blogs. And all the rest. It's not rocket science and with the incomes generated by major games today, there's no excuse not to pay someone with a brain to do it.

If you can read this, you're on a board populated by misogynist assholes.
Murgos
Terracotta Army

Reply #12116 on: November 02, 2011, 08:26:15 AM

For feedback, I think most people with a bit of sanity can tell whether or not something is real or just whinging. It seems so easy to me. Yes, the official forums are there, but check the unofficial ones. Blogs. And all the rest. It's not rocket science and with the incomes generated by major games today, there's no excuse not to pay someone with a brain to do it.

I'm of the opinion that most negative feedback on the internet borders on worthless, particularly consumer reviews.  Who's most likely to write a review, someone who understood the realistic limits and achievable results of a product before they bought it or someone who didn't?  So, almost by definition reviews are written by people who did not understand the product they were purchasing.  If you knew what you were buying and got what you expected you don't usually write a review of it.

So, a positive review tells me that the reviewer, no matter how far down the bell curve, had set expectations and had them exceeded.  Good, whatever their expectations were the product is better than that.

A bad review just tells me that the reviewer had set their expectations too high and now I have to decide if the reviewers expectations were reasonable.  Usually reviews don't have that kind of detail.  

If a products reviews are ALL bad then, yeah, it's probably crap.  If the reviews are even a little mixed though?  It gets tough.

Look at the New York Times App reviews on iTunes for an example.  Lots of 5 star and lots of 1 star reviews giving it an average 2.5 stars.  I mean, it's the NYT articles on your phone what could possibly be so bad about it that it gets 1 star?  Just at a glance, that it's part of the 'Newsstand' app tray (oh my clicky finger!), that to subscribe costs too much (less than buying the NYT though, and you get all the front page news free without a subscription) and that it gives you breaking news notifications you may not be interested in (someone bitched that it told them who won the world series, sure you're not a sports fan but 1 star because of that?).

Yet, the five star reviews all say how great it is for reading NYT articles on your phone.

So, yeah, if I want to read NYT articles from my phone do those 1 star reviews mean anything?  Not really.

"You have all recieved youre last warning. I am in the process of currently tracking all of youre ips and pinging your home adressess. you should not have commencemed a war with me" - Aaron Rayburn
Sand
Terracotta Army

Reply #12117 on: November 02, 2011, 08:30:15 AM

Best Buy has the CE back up on its website as available. I think last week when I checked them they showed it as out of stock. Wife ordered it for me as my Christmas present from either them or Target or both.
Evildrider
Terracotta Army

Reply #12118 on: November 02, 2011, 08:36:48 AM

Best Buy has been giving out used pre-order codes, so I'd make sure to check that asap if possible.  Looks like they've been overselling their stock.
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #12119 on: November 02, 2011, 09:41:49 AM

Best Buy has been giving out used pre-order codes, so I'd make sure to check that asap if possible.  Looks like they've been overselling their stock.

They do, in anticipation that not everyone ordering will actually purchase.  What also happens is some folks don't keep enough in their debit acct (bank or credit) for the "hold" to be applied. Every. single. week.  They may not be able to charge for the purchase but they're going to make sure that money is unavailable to you to spend.   

They renew the hold every week, dropping it for only a day and a half-ish.  If the money isn't there the preorder is voided by BB and they put the item up for sale.  The preorder hold has shifted from Friday to Tuesday on my account, so that could be why there's a bunch up today. 

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
Paelos
Contributor

Reply #12120 on: November 02, 2011, 10:00:00 AM

Can you simplify that a bit for me Merusk, I'm not quite sure what you mean?

Who is they? BB or the buyer?

luckton
Terracotta Army

Reply #12121 on: November 02, 2011, 10:13:17 AM

I preordered the regular no-frills edition from my local Best Buy.  I'm hoping that they'll play the same card they tried on me last time with Deus Ex: HR, which played out like this:

- Local BB is 2 miles away.  I pre-ordered Deus Ex there.
- Went to local BB on release day, was informed that the downtown BB was the only store in the region that was going to carry the PC version.
- Downtown BB is 20 miles away.
- I called corporate office and demanded compensation for having to drive all the way downtown to get a product that they clearly could have sold everywhere (it's not like it's a 200 lbs TV)
- Profit!!1! Corporate credited me a $50 gift card, so basically, free game!

"Those lights, combined with the polygamous Nazi mushrooms, will mess you up."

"Tuning me out doesn't magically change the design or implementation of said design. Though, that'd be neat if it did." -schild
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #12122 on: November 02, 2011, 10:47:45 AM

Can you simplify that a bit for me Merusk, I'm not quite sure what you mean?

Who is they? BB or the buyer?

BB = Best Buy.

I'll try to bullet list it.

* Best Buy can not charge your account (Credit Card/ Bank Card/ Whatever) until the item ships.  This is law.

* What they CAN do is put a temporary hold on your account for the full purchase amount, which they do.  So while you still have the money, it's flagged as a pending transaction and your bank won't let you use it. (Like gas stations do when you pre-pay with a Credit Card.)

* That hold is only temporary, falling off after 3-4 days since the bank didn't receive a fully-processed transaction.

* They reapply the hold a day or so after it falls off. 

* If the funds are not available when they try to reapply the hold, Best Buy will cancel your order.

* The day of this hold had been Friday for the last 2-3 months - at least on my own account.  A week or two ago it changed to being applied on a Tuesday

Pt 2: Why are there editions with already-used preorder codes up for sale?

* I suspect this change happened to other people as well.  Most folks being unawares of this process AND how their own bank accounts work, they most likely spent that money over the weekend.  (The ATM said I had money, so I must have money!)

* Come Tuesday, funds are no longer there so the order is cancelled.

* SKU system now shows availability due to auto-cancelled orders.  Puts them as available on the website for others to purchase

* Best Buy sends out preorder code attached to the purchase to the new buyer.  Being an automated system it is unaware of this being a used code that is no longer valid.

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
MuffinMan
Terracotta Army

Reply #12123 on: November 02, 2011, 10:55:58 AM

I'm glad I don't ever pre-order games. That sounds messy.

I'm very mysterious when I'm inside you.
Numtini
Terracotta Army

Reply #12124 on: November 02, 2011, 11:08:03 AM

Is there some reason not to just get the digital for the standard edition?

If you can read this, you're on a board populated by misogynist assholes.
Rasix

I am the harbinger of your doom!

Reply #12125 on: November 02, 2011, 11:11:58 AM

Is there anyway to update the credit card you preordered with?  I'm pretty sure they're going to try and charge and come to the realization that my CC # has changed.

edit: Google says I'm boned.  Great.

-Rasix
luckton
Terracotta Army

Reply #12126 on: November 02, 2011, 11:14:37 AM

Origin makes baby Jesus cry.

"Tuning me out doesn't magically change the design or implementation of said design. Though, that'd be neat if it did." -schild
Paelos
Contributor

Reply #12127 on: November 02, 2011, 11:14:44 AM

That makes it clearer, Merusk, thanks.

That being said, the policy seems ridiculous. If you want me to put down a deposit, fine. If you want me to wait and pay later, fine. But having to keep $50 at will in an account just so I can hold a game for sale? I'd rather either pay you nothing or everything and be done with it.

Evildrider
Terracotta Army

Reply #12128 on: November 02, 2011, 11:29:01 AM

Is there anyway to update the credit card you preordered with?  I'm pretty sure they're going to try and charge and come to the realization that my CC # has changed.

edit: Google says I'm boned.  Great.

Do you mean on Origin?  If so you have to go through Customer Support.  You can't just change it.
Evildrider
Terracotta Army

Reply #12129 on: November 02, 2011, 11:29:53 AM

Nope, unless you are one of those Origin is the devil people.  I got the DDE myself through Origin.
luckton
Terracotta Army

Reply #12130 on: November 02, 2011, 11:35:53 AM

Nope, unless you are one of those Origin is the devil people.  I got the DDE myself through Origin.

You just wait until some huge calamity occurs with Origin, as it did with Sony.   Tinfoil Hat

Evildrider
Terracotta Army

Reply #12131 on: November 02, 2011, 11:38:59 AM

You just wait until some huge calamity occurs with Origin, as it did with Sony.   Tinfoil Hat

As it did with Steam...    why so serious?
luckton
Terracotta Army

Reply #12132 on: November 02, 2011, 11:46:29 AM

There's a moral difference here.  I'll explain it simply by saying EA and Sony are the 1%, and Steam + the Indy community is the 99%.  The 1% is here just for the money and slush-funding their publicly traded assets.  Steam and the indies are pretty much the only people keeping PC gaming alive now.

I'll also remind you that should Origin frack you over with mismanaging your private info, you can't sue them for any damages incurred.

Draegan
Terracotta Army

Reply #12133 on: November 02, 2011, 11:46:44 AM

I'm heading to Bioware Austin for the Fansite Summit next week.  Should be  awesome, for real
Evildrider
Terracotta Army

Reply #12134 on: November 02, 2011, 11:48:58 AM

I'm heading to Bioware Austin for the Fansite Summit next week.  Should be  awesome, for real

Urge to kill rising.... 
Paelos
Contributor

Reply #12135 on: November 02, 2011, 11:49:50 AM

Please wear a redshirt Star Trek uniform and ask a question about phasing.

luckton
Terracotta Army

Reply #12136 on: November 02, 2011, 11:53:30 AM

Find out the latest stance on dual-specing and what-not.  They seem to change stances week to week.  awesome, for real

Evildrider
Terracotta Army

Reply #12137 on: November 02, 2011, 11:54:12 AM

There's a moral difference here.  I'll explain it simply by saying EA and Sony are the 1%, and Steam + the Indy community is the 99%.  The 1% is here just for the money and slush-funding their publicly traded assets.  Steam and the indies are pretty much the only people keeping PC gaming alive now.

I'll also remind you that should Origin frack you over with mismanaging your private info, you can't sue them for any damages incurred.

And yet none of that bothers me.   Ohhhhh, I see.
Evildrider
Terracotta Army

Reply #12138 on: November 02, 2011, 11:55:25 AM

Find out the latest stance on dual-specing and what-not.  They seem to change stances week to week.  awesome, for real

Also make sure they know that AC switching should not be allowed more than once or twice.  I'd prefer not more than once past level 20ish.
luckton
Terracotta Army

Reply #12139 on: November 02, 2011, 11:58:05 AM

And yet none of that bothers me.   Ohhhhh, I see.

Of course not, at least not until it actually affects you.  Much like how nobody gives a shit about drunk driving until a drunk driver dispatches someone/thing you cherish.  Ohhhhh, I see.

Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Auto Assault Affectionado

Reply #12140 on: November 02, 2011, 11:59:11 AM

Starting to sound a little Sinij-y there, Luckton.

I'm heading to Bioware Austin for the Fansite Summit next week.  Should be  awesome, for real

Find out the latest stance on dual-specing and what-not.  They seem to change stances week to week.  awesome, for real

Also make sure they know that AC switching should not be allowed more than once or twice.  I'd prefer not more than once past level 20ish.

What, why?

The Transcendent One: AH... THE ROGUE CONSTRUCT.
Nordom: Sense of closure: imminent.
Evildrider
Terracotta Army

Reply #12141 on: November 02, 2011, 12:03:05 PM

I'm heading to Bioware Austin for the Fansite Summit next week.  Should be  awesome, for real

Find out the latest stance on dual-specing and what-not.  They seem to change stances week to week.  awesome, for real

Also make sure they know that AC switching should not be allowed more than once or twice.  I'd prefer not more than once past level 20ish.

What, why?

Because I don't think people should be able to switch classes like they do specs? 
Paelos
Contributor

Reply #12142 on: November 02, 2011, 12:05:56 PM

If there's anything that the MMOG world has taught us, it's that giving your customers more flexibility has never proved unpopular or a bad business decision.

luckton
Terracotta Army

Reply #12143 on: November 02, 2011, 12:06:27 PM

Mea culpa.  I stand-down from the argument.

luckton
Terracotta Army

Reply #12144 on: November 02, 2011, 12:07:53 PM

If there's anything that the MMOG world has taught us, it's that giving your customers more flexibility has never proved unpopular or a bad business decision.

Flexibility is one thing, but Evildrider is right.  Respec your class's traits and skills all you want, but to change your class?  Go reroll, fool.

Pages: 1 ... 345 346 [347] 348 349 ... 402 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Star Wars: The Old Republic  |  Topic: SWTOR  
Jump to: