Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 31, 2024, 07:12:36 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Star Wars: The Old Republic  |  Topic: SWTOR 0 Members and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 100 101 [102] 103 104 ... 402 Go Down Print
Author Topic: SWTOR  (Read 2148054 times)
Lakov_Sanite
Terracotta Army

Reply #3535 on: May 14, 2010, 09:58:42 AM

I miss when star wars had alien races with wildly different body types.  When did it become star trek where everyone has the same basic structure?

~a horrific, dark simulacrum that glares balefully at us, with evil intent.
Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #3536 on: May 14, 2010, 10:12:38 AM

It makes it easier for animators.  Though I agree.  There really needs to be more non-humanoid races.

Hahahaha!  I'm really good at this!
Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #3537 on: May 14, 2010, 10:17:06 AM

It makes it easier for animators.

Ehhh.... It makes it more simple to implement for all, art, programing, and also data storing, overhead, disk streaming as well as updating later.

Today's How-To: Scrambling a Thread to the Point of Incoherence in Only One Post with MrBloodworth . - schild
www.mrbloodworthproductions.com  www.amuletsbymerlin.com
Lakov_Sanite
Terracotta Army

Reply #3538 on: May 14, 2010, 10:38:22 AM

I know 'why' they do it.  It's the same reason star trek did it but weird alien races were 'always' what seperated the two for me.  Star trek was about the science and tech, star wars was the fantasy and wonder.  Looking at more and more screenshots of SWTOR and all these races they're adding all I could think was "wow, lots of humans"

Velorath
Contributor

Reply #3539 on: May 14, 2010, 12:44:34 PM

Actually the argument is more that story driven games best suit a single player experience. The ability to combine a personally driven experience in a shared context still remains to be proven in action. Both that it is possible and a good idea / valid use of resources.

... and part of the reason we don't read the story is because "In Guild Wars 2, our event system won't make you read a huge quest description to find out what's going on. You'll experience it by seeing and hearing things in the world. If a dragon is attacking, you won't read three paragraphs telling you about it, you'll see buildings exploding in giant balls of fire, and hear characters in the game world screaming about a dragon attack.". WoW believes the same. Though of course in SWTOR it's being forced to sit there and have the text read at you.

Wow, what a total breath of fresh air this argument is.
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #3540 on: May 14, 2010, 12:52:32 PM

Can someone tell me the /loc of that argument, I skipped right over the post. Also, please give me the walkthrough on how to win it and some cheats. Thanks.
Fordel
Terracotta Army

Reply #3541 on: May 14, 2010, 02:09:37 PM

So four classes per side, that then split into two classes each, which also have two distinct talent trees.

I'm sure this will all be balanced in the end.  awesome, for real

-edit- I forgot about the third shared skill tree to boot!
« Last Edit: May 14, 2010, 02:12:07 PM by Fordel »

and the gate is like I TOO AM CAPABLE OF SPEECH
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #3542 on: May 14, 2010, 04:16:27 PM

You say that as if 4 mirrored classes with 2 spec lines each is a large number of classes. I'm guessing/hoping the number is that small in order to keep the 8 storylines distinctive and interesting.

Plus thus is primarily a pve game so who cares about balance really.

"People will not assume that what they read on the internet is trustworthy or that it carries any particular ­assurance or accuracy" - Lord Leveson
"Hyperbole is a cancer" - Lakov Sanite
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Auto Assault Affectionado

Reply #3543 on: May 14, 2010, 04:18:31 PM

We have yet to see just how mirrored the mirrored classes will be, though. There's a potential balance issue looming, Fordel has it right.

The Transcendent One: AH... THE ROGUE CONSTRUCT.
Nordom: Sense of closure: imminent.
Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #3544 on: May 14, 2010, 07:06:03 PM

Plus thus is primarily a pve game so who cares about balance really.
We don't actually know that.  We still know surprisingly little.

Pezzle
Terracotta Army

Reply #3545 on: May 14, 2010, 08:42:57 PM

I would guess pvp being opt in/certain places only.
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #3546 on: May 14, 2010, 08:54:52 PM

Though I may be the only one looking forward to TOR, EQ2 already did that experiment. People don't want to be generic sorcerer for twenty levels then suddenly be the class they want to be. Maybe with the iconic base classes and story-heavy game experience it might be different, though. I'm willing to give them a chance on that one.

But skill trees require respec-ability. Period. You don't punish players for bad choices and you don't make a respec punitively difficult to achieve, either.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2010, 07:22:34 AM by Sky »
Soln
Terracotta Army

the opportunity for evil is just delicious

Reply #3547 on: May 14, 2010, 09:15:13 PM

that article up today about adding the Voss to the EU gameworld makes me want to play.  A Voss that is.
Lakov_Sanite
Terracotta Army

Reply #3548 on: May 15, 2010, 05:10:28 AM

Don't skim over the fact that even though there are two and a half talent trees per class if you pick [Tank jedi] you are more than likely going to be stuck as [tank jedi] unless you re-roll.  I cannot stress hard enough how badly this will go over with the vast majority of players that pick this game up.  Grind for X levels, pick your final class and then discover you don't like it? Whoops sorry, gotta go back to level one, delete your char or make a new one!

Granted, they 'could' add some kind of class respec but does anyone really see that as likely since they are setting everything up to be so story driven as they say?

Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #3549 on: May 15, 2010, 08:04:56 AM

Since the advanced class choice isn't supposed to affect the story, I don't see why allowing respecs would either.  It's still baffles me that talent trees are the best they could do, however it doesn't mean they're that stupid.

Draegan
Terracotta Army

Reply #3550 on: May 15, 2010, 09:08:36 AM

Talent trees are a staple of the genre, I don't think there are any other ways to do it.  How else do you assign skills and abilities other than just giving them to the person?
Malakili
Terracotta Army

Reply #3551 on: May 15, 2010, 10:43:37 AM

Talent trees are a staple of the genre, I don't think there are any other ways to do it.  How else do you assign skills and abilities other than just giving them to the person?

Well, there are other options, but they aren't very good for games with classes (and some would argue they aren't good for games without classes either  Ohhhhh, I see.)  For instance, Champions Online doesn't have talent trees, neither does EVE Online two extremely different types of MMOs.  It is possible, but it isn't necessarily always desirable.  You can only give a Dark Jedi so many "talent" options before hes no longer a dark jedi.
Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #3552 on: May 15, 2010, 11:14:49 AM

<cough> Guild Wars <cough>

eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #3553 on: May 15, 2010, 03:51:21 PM

Well, there are other options, but they aren't very good for games with classes (and some would argue they aren't good for games without classes either  Ohhhhh, I see.)  For instance, Champions Online doesn't have talent trees, neither does EVE Online two extremely different types of MMOs.  It is possible, but it isn't necessarily always desirable.  You can only give a Dark Jedi so many "talent" options before hes no longer a dark jedi.

My eve online and CO have talent trees.

Skills in both are unlocked by pre requisites including other skills and/or levels. It's all functionally equivalent to talent trees you've seen on rpgs ever since d&d.

"People will not assume that what they read on the internet is trustworthy or that it carries any particular ­assurance or accuracy" - Lord Leveson
Ratman_tf
Terracotta Army

Reply #3554 on: May 15, 2010, 03:53:28 PM

Skills in both are unlocked by pre requisites including other skills and/or levels. It's all functionally equivalent to talent trees you've seen on rpgs ever since d&d.

When did D&D get talent trees? When I played, it wasn't a tree. Just a progression of THACO and abilities.

"What I'm saying is you should make friends with a few catasses, they smell funny but they're very helpful."
-Calantus makes the best of a smelly situation.
DLRiley
Terracotta Army

Reply #3555 on: May 15, 2010, 03:57:35 PM

Don't skim over the fact that even though there are two and a half talent trees per class if you pick [Tank jedi] you are more than likely going to be stuck as [tank jedi] unless you re-roll.  I cannot stress hard enough how badly this will go over with the vast majority of players that pick this game up.  Grind for X levels, pick your final class and then discover you don't like it? Whoops sorry, gotta go back to level one, delete your char or make a new one!

Granted, they 'could' add some kind of class respec but does anyone really see that as likely since they are setting everything up to be so story driven as they say?

I have developed a few "I won't play you rules" and one of those rules is not being able to respec. Once I discover that respeccing is either nonexistent or so out of the way and hard to do that there might as well be no respeccing I uninstall. Seriously this is not 2003, i am not playing any game with a web browser up.
Draegan
Terracotta Army

Reply #3556 on: May 15, 2010, 04:28:41 PM

Guild Wars just gave you skills or you found/unlocked them.  Then you slotted them for play.  The slotting part is a different mechanism than talent trees; and that mechanism I really like.
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #3557 on: May 15, 2010, 04:48:38 PM

When did D&D get talent trees? When I played, it wasn't a tree. Just a progression of THACO and abilities.

Skills selection of 3rd ED mutated more into what may as well be considered talent trees in 4th I hear.  why so serious?

Anywho, yeah, talent trees are a year 2000+ invention, not part of older RPGs.

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
Rendakor
Terracotta Army

Reply #3558 on: May 15, 2010, 07:39:40 PM

In third edition D&D many feats operate like talent trees.

"i can't be a star citizen. they won't even give me a star green card"
Malakili
Terracotta Army

Reply #3559 on: May 15, 2010, 08:02:26 PM

Ok, we are defining this way different then, if you simply mean skills that have other skills as prerequisites, then sure.  However, I assumed it to mean 2 or 3 predefined roles than your character can specialize in, which is something different I think.
Draegan
Terracotta Army

Reply #3560 on: May 15, 2010, 08:09:43 PM

There are specialization classes in Neverwinter Nights.
Pezzle
Terracotta Army

Reply #3561 on: May 15, 2010, 10:54:20 PM

A prerequisite is not the same as a talent tree.  I know the lines can be blurred but there are differences.  A prerequisite may be involved in a talent tree or not.  It represents a more basic determination.  You must be this smart to master making campfires(anyone) vs you must be a Pyromancer if you wish to learn the fantastic and difficult arts of fire belching (must be a pyromancer).  As systems go, I prefer prerequisites. 
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #3562 on: May 16, 2010, 12:27:51 AM

A prerequisite is not the same as a talent tree.  I know the lines can be blurred but there are differences.  A prerequisite may be involved in a talent tree or not.  It represents a more basic determination.  You must be this smart to master making campfires(anyone) vs you must be a Pyromancer if you wish to learn the fantastic and difficult arts of fire belching (must be a pyromancer).  As systems go, I prefer prerequisites. 

Isn't that just the difference between class based and not class based?

SWG and UO are more examples of talent trees without classes.

Count Nerfedalot
Terracotta Army

Reply #3563 on: May 16, 2010, 03:03:35 AM

If we all wish hard enough, Tinkerbell will come back to life too.

Wait, what?  Tinkerbell is dead???   Cry

Yes, I know I'm paranoid, but am I paranoid enough?
Pezzle
Terracotta Army

Reply #3564 on: May 16, 2010, 09:57:44 AM

I suppose so.  Unfortunately it is the accepted norm to have what your characters can do strictly defined in several layers.  It starts with classes and then you get socked with talent trees.  Having classes is fine.  The ideas are so tightly wed when it comes to most MMO's it is actually bothersome.  I guess it is easier to balance for.
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #3565 on: May 17, 2010, 07:11:19 AM

Some days I love the utter bitchiness of f13.
Draegan
Terracotta Army

Reply #3566 on: May 17, 2010, 07:36:46 AM

I suppose so.  Unfortunately it is the accepted norm to have what your characters can do strictly defined in several layers.  It starts with classes and then you get socked with talent trees.  Having classes is fine.  The ideas are so tightly wed when it comes to most MMO's it is actually bothersome.  I guess it is easier to balance for.

I kind of like having my character defined and in different ways.  I don't know why it's unfortunate unless you enjoy playing games as weird configuration of hybrid stuff.
Malakili
Terracotta Army

Reply #3567 on: May 17, 2010, 08:33:39 AM

unless you enjoy playing games as weird configuration of hybrid stuff.

That describes me really well.  When I was playing D&D 3rd edition, for instance, almost every character I played tried to incorporate non standard feats and skills for my character class, and i often multiclassed as well.  Even in Torchlight recently I've enjoyed the flexibility you gain by having shared abilities in the talent trees across the different classses, because it lets me do things like having a Vanquisher summoner, or caster destroyer, and so forth.    I love quirky builds and seeing how well I can do compared to the "cookie cutter" builds.
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #3568 on: May 17, 2010, 09:39:39 AM

Quirky builds = tank mage. Throw in grouping and if you're not FotM, you're a lonely, lonely quirky builder. MMO, such a great genre. Distills everything to it's very essence, sucking the life and enjoyment out of gaming and pooping it into a sock.
Nonentity
Terracotta Army

2009 Demon's Souls Fantasy League Champion

Reply #3569 on: May 17, 2010, 09:48:31 AM

http://www.swtor.com/info/systems/advanced-classes

Same shit we already knew, with no new info. But now it's on the official site! Hooray!

But that Captain's salami tray was tight, yo. You plump for the roast pork loin, dogg?

[20:42:41] You are halted on the way to the netherworld by a dark spirit, demanding knowledge.
[20:42:41] The spirit touches you and you feel drained.
Pages: 1 ... 100 101 [102] 103 104 ... 402 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Star Wars: The Old Republic  |  Topic: SWTOR  
Jump to: