Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 19, 2024, 06:10:07 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: So, what're you playing? 0 Members and 9 Guests are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 177 178 [179] 180 181 ... 445 Go Down Print
Author Topic: So, what're you playing?  (Read 2252149 times)
Llyse
Terracotta Army

Calvin and Hobbes are back to maul the fuck outta you.

Reply #6230 on: December 06, 2012, 04:51:54 PM

Finally cut my teeth with a good Civ5 binge, pretty good for a Civ beginner so looking forward to some multiplayer.

Will head back to The Secret World once my video card arrives though (and some Blood bowl of course!)
rk47
Terracotta Army

The Patron Saint of Radicalthons

Reply #6231 on: December 06, 2012, 11:50:52 PM

Is there anything that might interest me coming down the pike? Is GW2 worth buying? STO?
STO is f2p, so it can't hurt to check out.  I think GW2 is awesome, but I'm the resident fangal, so my opinion might be slightly biased.

I think GW 2 is awesome until you ran out of 'meaningful gains in reasonable time invested'
I used to dream of that Legendary till I realize it's probably gonna cost me real money or ungodly amount of time that could make me unemployed.

Colonel Sanders is back in my wallet
Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #6232 on: December 07, 2012, 01:44:25 AM

I think GW 2 is awesome until you ran out of 'meaningful gains in reasonable time invested'

This is my problem with basically every single MMO nowadays, not because the games have changed, so much as my patience for them has simply run out.  The first 10 levels or so are a blast, filled with story content, new levels, new companions, new gear, new whatever.  It then begins to dramatically slow down on every single front, and the fun disappears. 

"...maybe if you cleaned the piss out of the sunny d bottles under your desks and returned em, you could upgrade you vid cards, fucken lusers.." - Grunk
satael
Terracotta Army

Reply #6233 on: December 07, 2012, 03:02:17 AM

Since GW2 doesn't have a monthly fee (so you can take it as slow as you want or take a break and return to it without any pressure from paying) and doesn't really have any handicaps usually associated with f2p (more inventory/bank space could be seen as a handicap) and is  a top-class product made with a real budget, you'll probably get significantly more playtime from GW2 as from a single-player game on average (sorry for the convoluted sentence).

tl;dr: yes on gw2
Fabricated

~Living the Dream~

Reply #6234 on: December 07, 2012, 05:41:08 AM

Sadface about ShadowHearts 2 not working so well in PCSX2, but most of the other weeaboo shit I like works fine.  Concentrating on SMT Nocturne for now.
Is it one of the games that is just broken, or is it a config issue?

"The world is populated in the main by people who should not exist." - George Bernard Shaw
MisterNoisy
Terracotta Army

Reply #6235 on: December 07, 2012, 07:27:39 AM

Still playing Far Cry 3, and loving it.  Had an amusing incident last night:

While observing and marking everyone in a pirate camp with my handy silenced sniper rifle, one of the perimeter guards blundered into a white tiger, and got his face chewed off.  Of course, the gunfire attracted everyone else in the camp, and the tiger proceeded to maul every last one of them, which triggered the 'camp takeover' cutscene/music.  Bonus for never being seen and everything.  Then I ran over some sharks with a boat to get skins for crafting.

Good times.

XBL GT:  Mister Noisy
PSN:  MisterNoisy
Steam UID:  MisterNoisy
Ruvaldt
Terracotta Army

Goat Variations

Reply #6236 on: December 07, 2012, 07:31:49 AM

Sounds like they learned some lessons from Just Cause 2.  I might have to pick it up on the way home from work.

"For a long time now I have tried simply to write the best I can. Sometimes I have good luck and write better than I can." - Ernest Hemingway
Paelos
Contributor

Error 404: Title not found.

Reply #6237 on: December 07, 2012, 07:33:39 AM

I'm trying to hold off for 2 weeks to see if they throw me a bone for the Holiday sale, but damn it's hard. Farcry 3 sounds way more fun than the previous 2.

CPA, CFO, Sports Fan, Game when I have the time
Hawkbit
Terracotta Army

Like a Klansman in the ghetto.

Reply #6238 on: December 07, 2012, 08:22:32 AM

I was hiding up on a ridge and watched two red pirate jeeps crash into each other.  All four pirates got out (two each jeep) got out and started surveying the damage.  Then one decides to get into the less damaged vehicle and drive in a tight circle, running over the guys from the other jeep.  He got one that didn't get up, and the other started firing back.  The other guy ran for the hills, up towards me so I ran and lost sight of it all. 

It looked so oddly real.
MisterNoisy
Terracotta Army

Reply #6239 on: December 07, 2012, 08:52:25 AM

The pirates have a really bad habit of keeping dangerous animals in cages in their camps - a fact that can be easily exploited in the pursuit of comedy.

Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #6240 on: December 07, 2012, 08:57:36 AM

Sadface about ShadowHearts 2 not working so well in PCSX2, but most of the other weeaboo shit I like works fine.  Concentrating on SMT Nocturne for now.
Is it one of the games that is just broken, or is it a config issue?

Forums/google don't list any known issues or special config, other than some display issue with the ring which I haven't encountered due to not progressing to a battle.  The symptom I have is that the movies chop like shitty molasses.  I considered try to disable MPG, but maybe I just need a new vid card.

Meanwhile, SMT Nocturne is working fine.  Save states are the best thing since save games on a cartridge.  Demon change a skill to something stupid?  Load state fixes it with no save-point hassle.

Then I ran over some sharks with a boat to get skins for crafting.

what

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
They called it The Prayer, its answer was law
Mommy come back 'cause the water's all gone
Xanthippe
Terracotta Army

Reply #6241 on: December 07, 2012, 08:59:00 AM

Still playing Far Cry 3, and loving it.  Had an amusing incident last night:

While observing and marking everyone in a pirate camp with my handy silenced sniper rifle, one of the perimeter guards blundered into a white tiger, and got his face chewed off.  Of course, the gunfire attracted everyone else in the camp, and the tiger proceeded to maul every last one of them, which triggered the 'camp takeover' cutscene/music.  Bonus for never being seen and everything.  Then I ran over some sharks with a boat to get skins for crafting.

Good times.

Now that sounds awesome. I never played FC, but if it's on the holiday sale, I might just pick it up. Meanwhile, GW2 sounds good. Wish it was on Steam.
MisterNoisy
Terracotta Army

Reply #6242 on: December 07, 2012, 09:25:11 AM

Then I ran over some sharks with a boat to get skins for crafting.

what

I could shoot at them from shore but that's a huge waste of ammo and you have to dive way down to skin them, so once I found an inflatable dinghy, I used it to herd them to shallow water and then chewed them up with an outboard motor instead.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2012, 09:34:45 AM by MisterNoisy »

jakonovski
Terracotta Army

Reply #6243 on: December 07, 2012, 10:26:20 AM

Heavy machine guns are ideal for shark fishing.
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #6244 on: December 07, 2012, 11:20:00 AM

I guess FarCry3 is on the list now.

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
They called it The Prayer, its answer was law
Mommy come back 'cause the water's all gone
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Auto Assault Affectionado

Reply #6245 on: December 07, 2012, 11:35:00 AM

This is my problem with basically every single MMO nowadays, not because the games have changed, so much as my patience for them has simply run out.  The first 10 levels or so are a blast, filled with story content, new levels, new companions, new gear, new whatever.  It then begins to dramatically slow down on every single front, and the fun disappears. 

GW2 does this on a scale far beyond any other MMO, though.

The Transcendent One: AH... THE ROGUE CONSTRUCT.
Nordom: Sense of closure: imminent.
Ard
Terracotta Army

Reply #6246 on: December 07, 2012, 06:05:43 PM

I guess FarCry3 is on the list now.

Yeah, that just sold me on it as well I think, although I'd really prefer Just Cause 3 hurry up and release. 
MisterNoisy
Terracotta Army

Reply #6247 on: December 07, 2012, 07:38:41 PM

So I just found another pirate camp with a dangerous animal in a cage - in this case, an Asian black bear.  This camp also had a grenadier - in this case a guy with a bunch of Molotov cocktails on his belt.

Shot the door off the cage to release the bear and then shot the Molotov cocktail guy in the waist which lit him on fire.  Between the bear and the huge fire, I didn't have to fire another round to take the camp.

Did I mention that I really dig this game?

Kageru
Terracotta Army

Reply #6248 on: December 07, 2012, 08:32:58 PM

GW2 is definitely worth playing. There's lots of fun (for an MMO) content, some different mechanics, and no sub makes it a ridiculously good value proposition. The maps are beautiful and reward exploring. It just tells the achievement and end-game focused hard-core players, "well, if you want to grind, here's a ridiculously tedious carrot to chase so people can know you did". For a relaxed player you can just ignore those without any cost in power.

Is a man not entitled to the hurf of his durf?
- Simond
Bzalthek
Terracotta Army

"Use the Soy Sauce, Luke!" WHOM, ZASH, CLISH CLASH! "Umeboshi Kenobi!! NOOO!!!"

Reply #6249 on: December 07, 2012, 08:57:36 PM

I bought Towns on a whim for something slightly dwarf fortressy without the ascii cuntery.  It's rage inducing.  I'm beginning to think of it like an abusive spouse.

"Pity hurricanes aren't actually caused by gays; I would take a shot in the mouth right now if it meant wiping out these chucklefucks." ~WayAbvPar
Rendakor
Terracotta Army

Reply #6250 on: December 07, 2012, 09:54:50 PM

I bought Towns on a whim for something slightly dwarf fortressy without the ascii cuntery.  It's rage inducing.  I'm beginning to think of it like an abusive spouse.
I'd never heard of it til someone (Paelos?) mentioned it in the Steam forum the other day, but it looked good and I was going to grab it if I saw it go on sale. I'm reconsidering that now; care to tell what's wrong with it?

"i can't be a star citizen. they won't even give me a star green card"
Bzalthek
Terracotta Army

Reply #6251 on: December 07, 2012, 10:40:30 PM

Actually I don't think there is anything wrong with it.  It's like a graphical dwarf fortress only instead of dwarves mining you're a town and you have to build up an attractive place for heroes to come and clear out the dungeon as you dig open new areas.  It's still being improved upon and there's a lot of rough edges and I have trouble getting things to work like I think they should work.  The rage is mostly on my end because I've never been good at these types of games but I keep loading it up to try again.

I'm sure it only hurts me because it loves me.

"Pity hurricanes aren't actually caused by gays; I would take a shot in the mouth right now if it meant wiping out these chucklefucks." ~WayAbvPar
Paelos
Contributor

Reply #6252 on: December 08, 2012, 08:17:39 AM

I like those types of games. If a strategy game doesn't make me throw a shoe across the room at least once, it didn't do its job.  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

Xanthippe
Terracotta Army

Reply #6253 on: December 08, 2012, 08:42:18 AM

I bought Towns back when it was in alpha to support its development, because it's a neat idea. I got the steam key and installed it. Started to play it but then realized I'd forgotten everything I thought I knew about it. See the documentation before playing, in game tutorials or whatever are lacking. It still feels unfinished to me, and I hope they aren't done with it. But it's a fun little game.
Ard
Terracotta Army

Reply #6254 on: December 08, 2012, 10:29:45 AM

Okay, Seraphim officially did a bad thing for me and showed me Eador.  It's a russian fantasy strategy game along the lines of Heroes of Might and Magic, but with way, way more depth and things to do.  It came out in like 2009 in russian, and looks like it just recently got an english version released.  I couldn't make myself stop playing it yesterday.  It's for sale on GoG right now, and it's pure evil.  

http://www.gog.com/gamecard/eador_genesis

That said, it does have one very nasty technical issue.  It runs like crap on any sort of recent computer, and needs to have the CPU throttled down to play it. If you do the stupid thing and buy this on my recommendation, and have mouse lag and sound issues on the main menu, go to the settings, shut off the sounds, and start up a second copy of the game and play that one instead.  It should work fine.  There are some other ways of making it work right, but that's probably the easiest.
Bzalthek
Terracotta Army

Reply #6255 on: December 08, 2012, 11:09:50 AM

Fucking cock tease man. 

Quinton
Terracotta Army

is saving up his raid points for a fancy board title

Reply #6256 on: December 09, 2012, 08:27:19 AM

Spent 20 hours on a low chaos Dishonored playthrough and loved it.  Now slowly working on a no-kills-at-all playthrough.
Xanthippe
Terracotta Army

Reply #6257 on: December 09, 2012, 08:46:12 AM

I spent hours playing Don't Starve yesterday, and woke up this morning thinking about it. Crafting/survival.
Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #6258 on: December 09, 2012, 09:01:02 AM

Finally started Borderlands 2.  Sheesh.  Took me long enough.  It's kinda harder than the first one but I already love it.  Have Dishonored and will be getting Farcry 3 soon.  I'm really feeling like playing a Bethesda Fallout sort of game but I think I might have played them all.  :(  And, of course, BlOPS, eventually. 

My Sig Image: hath rid itself of this mortal coil.
Quinton
Terracotta Army

is saving up his raid points for a fancy board title

Reply #6259 on: December 09, 2012, 09:36:57 AM

I need to finish Borderlands 2!  I also installed Skyrim in hopes of starting a new playthrough and finishing the main quest this time (got distracted last time, but covered an insane amount of sidequests).
Rendakor
Terracotta Army

Reply #6260 on: December 09, 2012, 10:03:13 AM

I'm almost done Persona 4 Golden; thought I'd finished it but they added a few extra months. Need to work on a few more S.Links before tackling the bonus dungeon and the true ending one. Bought Far Cry 3 yesterday too, but didn't install it yet because I know I wont finish P4G once I do. Still need to play the Torgue DLC in BL2.

"i can't be a star citizen. they won't even give me a star green card"
KallDrexx
Terracotta Army

Reply #6261 on: December 09, 2012, 12:57:49 PM

My friend let me borrow 3d Game Dot Heroes.  Holy crap the combat in this game is rage inducingly terribad
PalmTrees
Terracotta Army

Reply #6262 on: December 09, 2012, 08:49:01 PM

After I got tired pf GW2 I went back to Swtor. Also just started up Ico and I've been popping into Dragon Nest a little bit.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #6263 on: December 10, 2012, 09:38:19 AM

After finishing X-Com, I decided I finally wanted to play Total War: Shogun 2. People have talked about the poor loading times but the only time it seems overlong is when I first launch the game. Otherwise, the load times are typical TW. I really like the RPG traits on generals, the ability to offer hostages and choose marriages and heirs. The encyclopedia in lieu of a manual I don't like, but it's mostly that I really don't like the HTML browser they seem to be using to display it. Some parts of the UI feel really unfinished, but I think that's mostly down to the simplistic Japanese design aesthetic they chose more than any actually unfinished assets.

Paelos
Contributor

Reply #6264 on: December 10, 2012, 11:03:35 AM

See, I've been upset since they got rid of the city window in favor of more crap on the map. I liked that city at a glance thing from Rome and ME2.

Otherwise I agree with your points.

Pages: 1 ... 177 178 [179] 180 181 ... 445 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: So, what're you playing?  
Jump to: