Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 17, 2024, 05:12:55 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: The Elder Scrolls Online 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 96 97 [98] 99 100 ... 106 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Elder Scrolls Online  (Read 763479 times)
Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #3395 on: August 22, 2014, 04:08:25 AM

SWG (yes I went there) also had one around NGE time (might have been slightly before because I got a couple of bits from it but quit soon after NGE hit)

No reason not to bring it up...not only did it have them, but one of them was HUUUUUUUGE.  Lots and lots of holgrams for decoration purposes.  The coup de grace was the Anti-Decay Kit.  Very controversial, but a fucking great gift.  Or maybe that wasn't the same kind of reward?  Can't recall why we received them.

"...maybe if you cleaned the piss out of the sunny d bottles under your desks and returned em, you could upgrade you vid cards, fucken lusers.." - Grunk
DraconianOne
Terracotta Army

Reply #3396 on: August 22, 2014, 07:51:14 AM

SWG (yes I went there) also had one around NGE time (might have been slightly before because I got a couple of bits from it but quit soon after NGE hit)

No reason not to bring it up...not only did it have them, but one of them was HUUUUUUUGE.  Lots and lots of holgrams for decoration purposes.  The coup de grace was the Anti-Decay Kit.  Very controversial, but a fucking great gift.  Or maybe that wasn't the same kind of reward?  Can't recall why we received them.

Length of service. They ended up giving away houses and all sorts iirc.

A point can be MOOT. MUTE is more along the lines of what you should be. - WayAbvPar
Lucas
Terracotta Army

Further proof that Italians have suspect taste in games.

Reply #3397 on: September 03, 2014, 09:59:40 AM

More layoffs at Zenimax Online:
http://www.pcgamer.com/2014/09/03/the-elder-scrolls-online-studio-zenimax-online-hit-with-layoffs/

Dunno if it's something similar to what happened back in June of if the axe hit other positions beside CS, this time.

" He's so impatient, it's like watching a teenager fuck a glorious older woman." - Ironwood on J.J. Abrams
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

a polyamorous pansexual genderqueer born and living in the wrong country

Reply #3398 on: September 03, 2014, 11:01:25 AM

Someone I know who works there has just been laid off, and they are NOT in CS.

Senses
Terracotta Army

Reply #3399 on: September 03, 2014, 03:11:52 PM

cycle of life.
Paelos
Contributor

Error 404: Title not found.

Reply #3400 on: September 03, 2014, 06:29:03 PM

That console release is never happening.

CPA, CFO, Sports Fan, Game when I have the time
Surlyboi
Terracotta Army

eat a bag of dicks

Reply #3401 on: September 03, 2014, 06:54:09 PM

Tuned in, immediately get to watch cringey Ubisoft talking head offering her deepest sympathies to the families impacted by the Orlando shooting while flanked by a man in a giraffe suit and some sort of "horrifically garish neon costumes through the ages" exhibit or something.  We need to stop this fucking planet right now and sort some shit out. -Kail
Ginaz
Terracotta Army

Reply #3402 on: September 03, 2014, 09:04:05 PM

So...is this game and Wildstar ready for the graveyard?  I would think so.
sam, an eggplant
Terracotta Army

Reply #3403 on: September 03, 2014, 09:41:12 PM

The teams behind ESO and wildstar aren't newbies; Firor and Gaffney have been around the grindstone a couple times each. I am downright astonished that neither seems to have prepared for the possibility of the subscription model failing to support their title. It seems like such a neophyte mistake that I honestly assumed they both had B2P/F2P frameworks fully coded and ready to go, and both had launched as subscription titles in a frothy mélange of aspirational optimism (Who knows, maybe we'll be the next WoW!) and cynical market segmentation (Maximize revenue from initial adopters, then pivot to F2P in 3-6 months!).

But no. It seems neither team considered the possibility of failure. They're sticking to subscriptions, death spiral be damned. And so, here we are.
Kail
Terracotta Army

Reply #3404 on: September 03, 2014, 10:00:44 PM

I am downright astonished that neither seems to have prepared for the possibility of the subscription model failing to support their title.

Do we know that?  I'd still put money on them going F2P fairly soon, just not right now.  Games only been live for like five months, and even SWtOR lasted for closer to seven.  I'd be pretty shocked at any MMO that honestly doesn't have an F2P plan at some level of development (I suspect even WoW has one) but it's not something you'd admit to or put in a press release until you have a definite release date.

edit: oops, five months, according to wikipedia, my bad
« Last Edit: September 03, 2014, 10:09:02 PM by Kail »
satael
Terracotta Army

Reply #3405 on: September 04, 2014, 03:48:23 AM

ESO's f2p plans might have been sidetracked with their efforts going into the delayed console versions of the game. f2p might have been meant to hit pc version shortly before the console launch to make it part of the game in the console versions too.

(Then again they might have actually believed that subs would be enough to sustain the game in the long run especially if they had gotten the console versions released as planned)
Draegan
Terracotta Army

Reply #3406 on: September 04, 2014, 06:58:41 AM

Well hopefully this gets Sage and Firor and all the higher up devs at Wildstar to never make a game again.
Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #3407 on: September 04, 2014, 07:19:06 AM

I imagine it's more likely they had their heads in the sand and really didn't know the sub model is dead for new games without putting out something so good it's more a matter of luck and serendipity than having even the best team ever.

Hahahaha!  I'm really good at this!
sam, an eggplant
Terracotta Army

Reply #3408 on: September 04, 2014, 11:44:23 AM

Despite the preponderance of evidence, I still don't think the sub model is dead.

ESO and Wildstar should have done exactly what I said earlier-- put their best foot forward and release with subscriptions, because who knows, maybe they'll cage lightning in a bottle and become the third breakout MMO success? You don't target failure, after all, right?

But realistically, you have that B2P or F2P option ready to go the instant it becomes clear that you aren't going to be WoW2. You don't flounder in a death spiral for six months like ESO. You rip the band-aid off and go B2P on day 91.

Oh, and you don't do 1999-era sharded servers in 2014. That was just silly.
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Auto Assault Affectionado

Reply #3409 on: September 04, 2014, 11:46:57 AM

So...is this game and Wildstar ready for the graveyard?  I would think so.

They can't go to the graveyard if they never got subforums in the first place.

The Transcendent One: AH... THE ROGUE CONSTRUCT.
Nordom: Sense of closure: imminent.
Draegan
Terracotta Army

Reply #3410 on: September 04, 2014, 01:05:15 PM

I think a sub model works just fine for a game. You just need a game that's actually worth a sub. A DIKU clone or an Elder Scrolls Abortion is not worth it.
Malakili
Terracotta Army

Reply #3411 on: September 04, 2014, 01:07:19 PM

I think a sub model works just fine for a game. You just need a game that's actually worth a sub. A DIKU clone or an Elder Scrolls Abortion is not worth it.

Has there been a successful subscription based game in.... years?  Not ones that continue to live from a decade ago, but a new release with that model.

I say that as someone who would prefer to pay a monthly fee to playing a free to play game.  It just doesn't seem viable anymore.
Draegan
Terracotta Army

Reply #3412 on: September 04, 2014, 01:17:32 PM

Define years. People still pay subs for RIFT and SWTOR. There was a sub thing for HEX for a short while.
Ard
Terracotta Army

Reply #3413 on: September 04, 2014, 01:34:32 PM

Has there been a successful subscription based game in.... years?  Not ones that continue to live from a decade ago, but a new release with that model.

I say that as someone who would prefer to pay a monthly fee to playing a free to play game.  It just doesn't seem viable anymore.

Final Fantasy 14.  Somewhere between 1 and 2 million players.  Saved Square from bankruptcy.
Shatter
Terracotta Army

Reply #3414 on: September 04, 2014, 01:46:26 PM

FFXIV has been very successful as a sub model, out 1 year.  As someone said, basically pulled SE out of the fire. 
Malakili
Terracotta Army

Reply #3415 on: September 04, 2014, 05:12:43 PM

Define years. People still pay subs for RIFT and SWTOR. There was a sub thing for HEX for a short while.

I don't mean free to play with an option subscription/"gold" membership, etc.  I guess this Final Fantasy game is full sub based though?  That's neat.  Almost makes me want to check it out just for that.
Draegan
Terracotta Army

Reply #3416 on: September 05, 2014, 06:54:19 AM

Why doesn't a F2P game with a sub option not count? People are still paying subscription money. SWTOR is doing pretty great. Rift is about to launch another expansion.
Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #3417 on: September 05, 2014, 07:18:54 AM

Given the evidence displayed, I'll repeat my comment.  A sub-game only works if it's a really good game.  (I consider FFXIV worth it, and the sub keeps it from having some of the side-effects of being f2p)

Pretty much everything released in the last few years has been far better off as f2p.  The conversion from sub to f2p might have given them a publicity boost they wouldn't have gotten otherwise, but we're reaching enough time passed since this trend started that starting out with a sub will hurt more than being f2p initially.

Unless a really good game.  And there's just not a lot of those released.  Ever.  FFXIV didn't even get it right the first time...

tazelbain
Terracotta Army

tazelbain

Reply #3418 on: September 05, 2014, 07:21:49 AM

It might count with a subscription you absolutely don't need to speend money but really most subs in f2p games are "monthly bulk discounts" rather then "all access pass". So, I can be nickel&dimed *and* have a monthly fee. Worst of both worlds. I tend avoid an MMOG with a sub of any form because I know generally the developer has every reason to make unsub's life miserable to induce them to go sub. Homie don't play that.

"Me am play gods"
Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #3419 on: September 05, 2014, 07:25:25 AM

It might count with a subscription you absolutely don't need to speend money but really most subs in f2p games are "monthly bulk discounts" rather then "all access pass". So, I can be nickel&dimed *and* have a monthly fee. Worst of both worlds. I tend avoid an MMOG with a sub of any form because I know generally the developer has every reason to make unsub's life miserable to induce them to go sub. Homie don't play that.

I think people should watch this.  

F2P is currently broken

I don't care for the arms race that occurs in many F2P games.  Outside of WG and Riot, F2P is a clever disguise for pay2win.  That's why I think a sub model is actually better for most players.  The sub should just be cheaper. 

"Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other."

-  Mark Twain
Paelos
Contributor

Reply #3420 on: September 05, 2014, 07:32:45 AM

I would play any sub game right now if it was $5 a month.

Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #3421 on: September 05, 2014, 07:34:43 AM

I would play any sub game right now if it was $5 a month.

That's my point exactly.  I think a $4.99 sub could replace F2P and do quite well.  It just won't attract the investment $$$ needed to make a game in today's market. 

"Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other."

-  Mark Twain
Hawkbit
Terracotta Army

Like a Klansman in the ghetto.

Reply #3422 on: September 05, 2014, 07:48:13 AM

That's about what Club Penguin and Pixie Hollow subs cost.  So... the games are out there at the price point you want to pay.

The problem is NOT the price point of the sub.  The problem is the games are not worth paying for.  Make me a game that I don't want to stop playing and I'll pay $30 a month. 
Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #3423 on: September 05, 2014, 08:05:00 AM

Free Realms was that price, too, with a lifetime sub option around $30-40.  Basically the GW2 model of buy once play forever if you didn't want a sub.

Paelos
Contributor

Reply #3424 on: September 05, 2014, 08:28:48 AM

The problem is NOT the price point of the sub.  The problem is the games are not worth paying for.  Make me a game that I don't want to stop playing and I'll pay $30 a month. 

No, the problem is the price point. Some games are worth more, some are worth less. The problem is that they don't adjust the sub.

There's no way Elder Scrolls should be on the same sub price as WoW. None. They would attract more players and more sales by not having that sub price in place.

KallDrexx
Terracotta Army

Reply #3425 on: September 06, 2014, 04:33:28 AM

It's hard to convince a company to go the sub route, whether it's $5 or $15 a month.  The thing is that companies have shown that the average f2p player that pays anything pays more than $15 a month, it's just spread out a bit more and feels a bit less mandatory so it's not totally obvious to them like a sub is.
Malakili
Terracotta Army

Reply #3426 on: September 06, 2014, 06:43:14 AM

No, the problem is the price point. Some games are worth more, some are worth less. The problem is that they don't adjust the sub.

Well, sort of, but the problem is a lot of these games aren't worth "free."  Time is more valuable the the cost.  If I can afford 5 bucks a month for a game I can afford 15.   Give me a game I want to spend my gaming time on, and I'll pay for it.  But I'm not going to pay less for a worse game just because it's less, I don't have time to be playing mediocre games just because they could save me a few bucks compared to WoW (or whatever).
Paelos
Contributor

Reply #3427 on: September 06, 2014, 02:19:10 PM

I can afford the $15 too. That's not the issue. I can afford to go to the movies for $15, but it's not worth it to me. That's why I go to matinees for $10 if I ever go.

I'm a price sensitive person. Some people aren't at all. But I would think if you took a poll from ex-WoW players, the reason they aren't playing right now is because the sub wasn't worth the content. But what if you polled them on a reduced price sub? Is there are point where they just say yeah, that's worth the amount of content, I don't feel like I have to log in more than once a week for $5?

Fabricated

~Living the Dream~

Reply #3428 on: September 07, 2014, 10:13:42 AM

I just don't have the same amount of contiguous time anymore to dedicate to MMOs for $15 to be worth it per month.

I can put like 10-15 hours a week into a game easy; I do that with Payday. I just don't usually marathon it for 8+ hours. I'm not a "micro-session" guy either who only pops on for like 30 minutes at a time, but towards the end of me playing MMOs actively I found myself logging on and doing a dungeon or two, then maybe wanting to do something else but realizing that while I had time to commit still I didn't have THAT much time. So I idled around chatting with people. So I quit.

"The world is populated in the main by people who should not exist." - George Bernard Shaw
Fabricated

~Living the Dream~

Reply #3429 on: September 07, 2014, 08:31:50 PM

Oh yeah, I posted this in the topic about ~2ish years ago at this point, guess where we are?

1. Rumors surface of a big IP AAA MMO done by some studio that has a good enough track record that people are curious.
2. As info trickles in fanboys get hardons, everyone speculates, IS THE HOLY TRINITY REALLY GONE THIS TIME? MAN I HOPE THE PVP IS LIKE DAOC!!
3. Breathless sorta-gameplay video of early beta/alpha product with devs talking over it about how they're really gonna do it right this time and how excited they are.
4. Fan news site opens.
5. Beta; game at best looks promising if they fix XYZ.
6. Game comes out, XYZ aren't fixed.
7. XYZ are never fixed, or fixed so slowly people get frustrated. Some big technical issues; servers, client, website, whatever.
8. Game does not immediately accrue WoW's numbers, publisher shitcans 3/4ths of the staff. Every big name creative head leaves.
9. Game stagnates, loses subs, everyone but dedicated fans move on.
10. F2P/Maintenance Mode.

"The world is populated in the main by people who should not exist." - George Bernard Shaw
Pages: 1 ... 96 97 [98] 99 100 ... 106 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: The Elder Scrolls Online  
Jump to: