Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 19, 2024, 08:51:21 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: The Elder Scrolls Online 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 89 90 [91] 92 93 ... 106 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Elder Scrolls Online  (Read 763822 times)
satael
Terracotta Army

Reply #3150 on: May 09, 2014, 09:03:55 AM

TESO's minimal (and I even got a mod to make it even less) UI was great for a solo pve game but it made me feel really strange (and not happy) when it was time for pvp and I had to load a relatively intrusive UI to make sense of all (or atleast some) of what was happening in the combat there.
Wizgar
Terracotta Army

Reply #3151 on: May 09, 2014, 10:25:00 AM

Well, that's just saying the same thing you could say about every MMO since WoW.  Do you like combat less fun than every single player game ever?  Check.  Do you like running meaningless quests for hundreds of hours?  Check.  Are you willing to make huge graphical sacrifices in order to get 50 other players on your screen whom you wish would go the fuck away?  Check.  Do you love everything about levels and loathe organic skill progression?  Check.  Do you dislike actual role-playing?  Check.  Do you like be constantly reminded that investing real world cash will make your character better?  Check.

MMOs will never be truly fun again, because of all of the above, in my opinion.  It is no longer possible.  Sometimes a particular feature of a game will mask the shortcomings for a while, but at the end of the day this genre is broken beyond repair.

I've been told that the genre is thriving. After all, WoW still has 12 million 11 million 10 million 9 million 8 million whatever number of players left, and the fact that everyone has to point to a decade-old game in decline to show how everything is hunky dory is apparently apropos of nothing.
Venkman
Terracotta Army

Reply #3152 on: May 09, 2014, 12:50:24 PM

WoW's in decline and nothing has come along to replace it. People outgrow these kind of life sinks and the core feedback loops that made these unique have jumped to other types of games anyway.

But that doesn't mean this genre is dead. It just means it's not getting the stuffed shirt press release VC crowd bubble-style attention it was getting in the mid-2000s.

That is apropos of nothing in terms of gamers seeking games to play.

Right now I'm playing AA because even though combat is terrible and the leveling is shitty questing, all the crafting, open world pvp, and other social dynamics of the game seem really really fun.

Every time you say "AA" I think Auto Assault smiley
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Auto Assault Affectionado

Reply #3153 on: May 09, 2014, 01:03:56 PM

If only!

The Transcendent One: AH... THE ROGUE CONSTRUCT.
Nordom: Sense of closure: imminent.
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

a polyamorous pansexual genderqueer born and living in the wrong country

Reply #3154 on: May 09, 2014, 01:15:01 PM

If only! x2

Surlyboi
Terracotta Army

eat a bag of dicks

Reply #3155 on: May 09, 2014, 08:46:53 PM

I'll third that. I miss that game, shitty as it was.

Tuned in, immediately get to watch cringey Ubisoft talking head offering her deepest sympathies to the families impacted by the Orlando shooting while flanked by a man in a giraffe suit and some sort of "horrifically garish neon costumes through the ages" exhibit or something.  We need to stop this fucking planet right now and sort some shit out. -Kail
Scold
Terracotta Army

Reply #3156 on: May 09, 2014, 09:09:00 PM

Right now I'm playing AA because even though combat is terrible

How terrible? :X
satael
Terracotta Army

Reply #3157 on: May 10, 2014, 12:35:58 AM

the official "we are still working to solve a series of unique problems" announcement for the 6-month delay on the console versions. There's also some talk/rumours that TESO might get a f2p option when the console versions launch though I doubt they are stupid enough to confirm that in any way in the foreseeable future.  why so serious?
Draegan
Terracotta Army

Reply #3158 on: May 10, 2014, 06:48:21 AM

It's just standard hotbar/tab target combat. I think it's shitty. A lot of people like it though.
Miasma
Terracotta Army

Stopgap Measure

Reply #3159 on: May 11, 2014, 07:54:59 AM

Billing for the next month ran.  People who didn't resubscribe weren't instantly culled from guild lists, we'll see what happens.
Scold
Terracotta Army

Reply #3160 on: May 11, 2014, 08:18:06 AM

It's just standard hotbar/tab target combat. I think it's shitty. A lot of people like it though.

I thought AA had some physics involved in projectiles? No? :(
Paelos
Contributor

Error 404: Title not found.

Reply #3161 on: May 11, 2014, 05:53:40 PM

Billing for the next month ran.  People who didn't resubscribe weren't instantly culled from guild lists, we'll see what happens.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tfslY_AvhLw

CPA, CFO, Sports Fan, Game when I have the time
Samprimary
Contributor

Reply #3162 on: May 12, 2014, 01:19:29 PM

were any of the larger game mechanic/class balance issues handled this month, or was that all left alone due to larger more systemic issues getting handled?
Miasma
Terracotta Army

Stopgap Measure

Reply #3163 on: May 12, 2014, 01:41:05 PM

They nerfed one setup in PvP where vampires could kill entire raids full of people without even taking damage themselves, but that's about it.

There was a patch today that did very little, just some quest bug fixes.  It seems like they are saving most of the changes for the Craglorn content patch.  This is a pretty bad idea because now a lot of fixes are attached to something which might be delayed over and over again.

I'm dreading Craglorn because it will nerf my hirelings and my Bash ability.  This game's group content is pretty terrible and very buggy so I don't see anything to look forward to either, since it's all group focused.
Daeven
Terracotta Army

Reply #3164 on: May 14, 2014, 02:10:26 PM

I thought AA had some physics involved in projectiles? No? :(

You just like giving people flack.

"There is a technical term for someone who confuses the opinions of a character in a book with those of the author. That term is idiot." -SMStirling

It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion
Hawkbit
Terracotta Army

Like a Klansman in the ghetto.

Reply #3165 on: May 14, 2014, 02:57:25 PM

You know how I know you fucked up?

When ZAM launches a third-party AH for you. 

That's how.
Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #3166 on: May 15, 2014, 07:59:08 AM

That's how.

What's it like?  And, yes, I agree.  I wonder how long it'll take for the GAME to agree.

My Sig Image: hath rid itself of this mortal coil.
Hawkbit
Terracotta Army

Like a Klansman in the ghetto.

Reply #3167 on: May 15, 2014, 09:30:39 AM

I didn't try it; only saw the headline. 

I'm not sure this game is salvageable.  The six month delay on the console version backs that up.  I want to like it because of the setting, but it's just not a very good game.
Logain
Terracotta Army

Reply #3168 on: May 15, 2014, 06:59:46 PM

This game fucking sucks. I sold my account. Just glad I could recoup some of the cost. Maybe this time I learned my lesson when it comes to pre-ordering MMOs. Probably not.
Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #3169 on: May 16, 2014, 08:06:23 AM

There's so much wrong with the game and not just the lack of an AH.  As much as I like some of the bits that are Elder Scrolls, such as being able to interact with so many items in the environment, I don't see it being worth a sub fee.  I don't even see it being worth my effort if it was ftp.  I would be too frustrated.  Any game that makes me frustrated even when I'm stoned and giggly will eventually kill me.  This game is in dire need of many many miracle patches. 

My Sig Image: hath rid itself of this mortal coil.
rk47
Terracotta Army

The Patron Saint of Radicalthons

Reply #3170 on: May 16, 2014, 08:23:19 AM

It just needs to be single player.  awesome, for real

Colonel Sanders is back in my wallet
Sir T
Terracotta Army

Reply #3171 on: May 16, 2014, 08:46:26 AM

It just needs to be single player.  awesome, for real

So, your saying this is KOTOR?  DRILLING AND MANLINESS

Hic sunt dracones.
rk47
Terracotta Army

Reply #3172 on: May 16, 2014, 08:48:17 AM

I'd play TOR if it's Single Player.
Well, not exactly.
I tried playing the F2P. But the installer won't work.
Checked forum, turns out I need to unrar the thing manually - and seeing no developer/moderator response to the thread made me understand why I shouldn't care about this game.

Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Auto Assault Affectionado

Reply #3173 on: May 16, 2014, 10:48:34 AM

Er, what? The installer is just an .exe download.

The Transcendent One: AH... THE ROGUE CONSTRUCT.
Nordom: Sense of closure: imminent.
amiable
Terracotta Army

Reply #3174 on: May 18, 2014, 12:15:42 PM

They just had a "forum update".  I still can't create an account or find where this mythical "activation code" is located.  I am still a paying subscriber, lol.
Simond
Terracotta Army

Reply #3175 on: May 18, 2014, 01:38:47 PM

I am still a paying subscriber
I think I've found the root cause of the problem.

"You're really a good person, aren't you? So, there's no path for you to take here. Go home. This isn't a place for someone like you."
sam, an eggplant
Terracotta Army

Reply #3176 on: May 18, 2014, 08:07:58 PM

ESO runs on a megaserver architecture. Remember the lesson of Diablo 3 1.0. If you have your entire regional population in a single auction house, the market becomes extraordinarily efficient. Your currency inflates at a rapid pace, and you're forced to make strong bind on equip items much rarer, which makes playing the game (versus playing the auction house) less rewarding.

There are several ways around that, of course, including setting items bind on pickup/account/guild/friends, but commodities cannot be bound and retain a strong inflationary effect.

There are ways around that, too-- my favorite is to shard the auction house. The very first time your account uses the AH, you're assigned to a named shard that best matches your guildmates, friends, and those in the same timezone. Each shard contains a designated number of accounts, say 10k. If you want to switch AH shards for whatever reason, you can do it for free once per month.
rk47
Terracotta Army

Reply #3177 on: May 19, 2014, 02:15:43 AM

Er, what? The installer is just an .exe download.

Yeah I know, but when I run the installer, it'll finish real quick and just closes.
Five times tried. Same result.
I googled and stumbled on a thread where I have to unrar that thing etc.
I just can't be arsed, and the officials didn't seem to pitch in any ideas to fix it.
Fuck it, if they're apathetic about it, then so be it.

amiable
Terracotta Army

Reply #3178 on: May 19, 2014, 05:38:50 AM

I am still a paying subscriber
I think I've found the root cause of the problem.

My wife is still playing.  Also, I actually find the PvP fun.
Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #3179 on: May 19, 2014, 07:29:06 AM

There are ways around that, too-- my favorite is to shard the auction house. The very first time your account uses the AH, you're assigned to a named shard that best matches your guildmates, friends, and those in the same timezone. Each shard contains a designated number of accounts, say 10k. If you want to switch AH shards for whatever reason, you can do it for free once per month.
FFXI's is another way.  Let people designate the price they want to buy things for, and when someone sells it for that or under, the item gets sold at the buy price to the buyer that had the highest bid.

GW2's system is similar, but people know what they're selling it for ahead of time.  It's a small difference, but by having the seller be blind as to the current bids and a limited means they have to low-ball if they want it sold, making the FFXI system a bit better at controlling inflation from what I saw.  (No idea now, after so many years in service.  It certainly didn't find equilibrium quite so quickly though.)

Hahahaha!  I'm really good at this!
Paelos
Contributor

Error 404: Title not found.

Reply #3180 on: May 19, 2014, 07:37:21 AM

The lack of an AH is going to be the albatross for them. I know why they didn't do it, but that wasn't the right conclusion to draw from prior games.

CPA, CFO, Sports Fan, Game when I have the time
sam, an eggplant
Terracotta Army

Reply #3181 on: May 19, 2014, 08:20:44 AM

GW2 has a megaserver too, but their system doesn't control inflation.

http://gw2trading.net/report/inflation

The consignment system in FFXI is another totally valid approach, good call.
Count Nerfedalot
Terracotta Army

Reply #3182 on: May 19, 2014, 01:06:35 PM

It seems to me like.meagserver vs multiple servers only accelerates rather than creating the problem? The root problem is insufficient sinks to balance the sources, be it gold, uber items, or crafting ingredients.

The issues with gear a la Diablo 3 may well be insurmountable though, although TESO's guild/community AH may well have been a good solution for D3, D3 wasn't a persistent world nor was it a crafting/economy game. So while it MIGHT have worked for D3, it was totally inadequate for TESO.

But a crafting economy's lifeblood is the ability to buy and sell resources and finished goods. Especially one with hundreds of resources and severely limited inventory, forcing you to behave like a just-in-time manufacturing entity, but with hundreds of thousands of competitors, no mechanisms for making or taking orders, no contract law, no way to differentiate yourself, and no way to communicate it even if you could.

Yes, I know I'm paranoid, but am I paranoid enough?
Tannhauser
Terracotta Army

Reply #3183 on: May 19, 2014, 03:29:25 PM

The lack of an AH is going to be the albatross for them. I know why they didn't do it, but that wasn't the right conclusion to draw from prior games.

Agreed.  To me, a AAA MMO must have some kind of AH and I don't mean Diablo.  It does annoy me with its absence and makes it easier to keep from buying the game.
Miasma
Terracotta Army

Stopgap Measure

Reply #3184 on: May 21, 2014, 07:13:05 PM

The Craglorn patch drops tomorrow.  Number of people at VR10 who would give a shit is maybe one percent of the population.
Pages: 1 ... 89 90 [91] 92 93 ... 106 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: The Elder Scrolls Online  
Jump to: