Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 17, 2024, 05:14:35 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: The Elder Scrolls Online 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 75 76 [77] 78 79 ... 106 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Elder Scrolls Online  (Read 763479 times)
Hawkbit
Terracotta Army

Like a Klansman in the ghetto.

Reply #2660 on: March 09, 2014, 10:24:06 AM

I read somewhere a few weeks ago (and can't locate the source) that they believe selling only "a fraction" of the copies they did for Skyrim will get them TESO production costs back.  It wasn't specified what that fraction value was but they seem confident they'll go profitable from box sales. 

I wish I could find that source.

I'd wager at this point most major MMOs have a business plan in place before launch to transition to F2P. 
Paelos
Contributor

Error 404: Title not found.

Reply #2661 on: March 09, 2014, 02:05:30 PM

Skyrim sold 20 million copes plus. Unless that fraction is 10%, they ain't touching that.

CPA, CFO, Sports Fan, Game when I have the time
Miasma
Terracotta Army

Stopgap Measure

Reply #2662 on: March 09, 2014, 03:04:28 PM

Do we know what Bethesda proper is working on right now?  If it's the next fallout instead of skyrim they would have time to let the ESO... fallout, blowover.

I'm sorry but that pun would have haunted me had I not used it.

Also, I'm buying the game regardless.  I know enough other people playing that it will be fun for long enough to get my money's worth.
Tannhauser
Terracotta Army

Reply #2663 on: March 09, 2014, 03:10:13 PM

Fallout: Boston I've heard.

Samprimary
Contributor

Reply #2664 on: March 10, 2014, 02:52:56 AM

Fallout: Boston I've heard.

Mattapan?
Stormwaltz
Terracotta Army

Reply #2665 on: March 10, 2014, 12:00:26 PM

I for one welcome our mutant Southie overlords.

Nothing in this post represents the views of my current or previous employers.

"Isn't that just like an elf? Brings a spell to a gun fight."

"Sci-Fi writers don't invent the future, they market it."
- Henry Cobb
Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #2666 on: March 10, 2014, 12:52:30 PM

I for one welcome our mutant Southie overlords.

Do you like apples?  why so serious?

"Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other."

-  Mark Twain
Tannhauser
Terracotta Army

Reply #2667 on: March 10, 2014, 02:09:20 PM

Lakov_Sanite
Terracotta Army

Reply #2668 on: March 10, 2014, 05:04:46 PM

I gotta use mah snipah rifle on dat mutaant ovah dere.

~a horrific, dark simulacrum that glares balefully at us, with evil intent.
Riggswolfe
Terracotta Army

Reply #2669 on: March 11, 2014, 11:17:21 AM

Well, I got another beta invite. This one allows me to play with the perks of the Imperial Edition. I am not sure whether this is testing that edition out before release or a desperate attempt to sell more copies of said Imperial edition. I did notice that the pre-order now has "play any race in any alliance. (I think before only Imperials could be in any alliance) " So...basically....you can be a Dark Elf in any alliance, a Nord in any alliance, etc. There goes the 'lore' behind each alliance.

"We live in a country, where John Lennon takes six bullets in the chest, Yoko Ono was standing right next to him and not one fucking bullet! Explain that to me! Explain that to me, God! Explain it to me, God!" - Denis Leary summing up my feelings about the nature of the universe.
Threash
Terracotta Army

Reply #2670 on: March 11, 2014, 11:32:45 AM

No, that was always there for preorders.

I am the .00000001428%
Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #2671 on: March 12, 2014, 08:16:55 AM

IGN sent emails that they have beta keys.  I'm sure other places have them too.  It's probably pretty easy to get one now if you want.  I have an extra one if anyone wants it.

My Sig Image: hath rid itself of this mortal coil.
Nevermore
Terracotta Army

Reply #2672 on: March 12, 2014, 01:22:01 PM

I wonder if the key I had for the last beta will still work for this one.  I guess I'll find out this weekend.  I'm mostly just curious to see if there's any improvement on the animation/combat front.

Over and out.
Paelos
Contributor

Reply #2673 on: March 12, 2014, 03:27:17 PM

IGN sent emails that they have beta keys.  I'm sure other places have them too.  It's probably pretty easy to get one now if you want.  I have an extra one if anyone wants it.

They are begging people to try it.

Tannhauser
Terracotta Army

Reply #2674 on: March 12, 2014, 03:34:51 PM

I wonder if the key I had for the last beta will still work for this one.  I guess I'll find out this weekend.  I'm mostly just curious to see if there's any improvement on the animation/combat front.

I got an email today about the beta.  Your key should work.  Also combat and the starting area have been revamped.  You can even test the Imperial race, you know the race that's too good for the average subscriber.
Lucas
Terracotta Army

Further proof that Italians have suspect taste in games.

Reply #2675 on: March 12, 2014, 03:45:56 PM

Do we know what Bethesda proper is working on right now?  If it's the next fallout instead of skyrim they would have time to let the ESO... fallout, blowover.

I'm sorry but that pun would have haunted me had I not used it.

Also, I'm buying the game regardless.  I know enough other people playing that it will be fun for long enough to get my money's worth.

Regarding the Elder Scrolls series, I can't find a quote, but I remember a developer who said, with reference to Skyrim, that its development cycle started shortly after Oblivion, basically. I imagine the next "standalone" chapter is already well in pre-production. Given the huge success of Skyrim, it's a no brainer, really, no matter how the MMOG will fare.

" He's so impatient, it's like watching a teenager fuck a glorious older woman." - Ironwood on J.J. Abrams
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

a polyamorous pansexual genderqueer born and living in the wrong country

Reply #2676 on: March 13, 2014, 01:32:08 AM

The most important change for me is that they enable collision detection AT LEAST in PvE. I don't think that will magically make combat more engaging, but it's something. This game is a bag full of disappointment though, no miracle patch is gonna save it. Eventually, only years of content and improvements will be able to make it into a nice, sweet F2P title worth considering for a run with friends in late 2015.

Lucas
Terracotta Army

Reply #2677 on: March 13, 2014, 07:33:09 AM

http://www.elderscrollsonline.com/en/news/post/2014/03/13/limited-edition-heros-guides-to-the-elder-scrolls-online

http://store.bethsoft.com/media/the-heros-guides-to-the-elder-scrolls-online.html

I must admit that if this (meaning, this particular merchandise) was done by "Bethesda proper" for the launch of a single-player chapter, I might have purchased it (and yes, this is different and not different at the same time, I know it).
« Last Edit: March 13, 2014, 07:36:31 AM by Lucas »

" He's so impatient, it's like watching a teenager fuck a glorious older woman." - Ironwood on J.J. Abrams
Riggswolfe
Terracotta Army

Reply #2678 on: March 13, 2014, 02:10:03 PM

http://www.elderscrollsonline.com/en/news/post/2014/03/13/limited-edition-heros-guides-to-the-elder-scrolls-online

http://store.bethsoft.com/media/the-heros-guides-to-the-elder-scrolls-online.html

I must admit that if this (meaning, this particular merchandise) was done by "Bethesda proper" for the launch of a single-player chapter, I might have purchased it (and yes, this is different and not different at the same time, I know it).

Can I get them without buying the game?

"We live in a country, where John Lennon takes six bullets in the chest, Yoko Ono was standing right next to him and not one fucking bullet! Explain that to me! Explain that to me, God! Explain it to me, God!" - Denis Leary summing up my feelings about the nature of the universe.
Lucas
Terracotta Army

Reply #2679 on: March 13, 2014, 04:45:24 PM

Can I get them without buying the game?

Looking at the store page I linked...yeah, seems so, it lists only the  books/guides.

Mattemeo
Terracotta Army

Reply #2680 on: March 14, 2014, 09:46:41 AM

It's always a good sign when you download/install the game and reboot the patcher after a known fault to be asked if you want to migrate to the EU megaserver based on your location... and when you decline, it asks you if you really don't want to migrate to the EU megaserver and you decline again... so the launcher sets itself as 'The Elder Scrolls Online - EU' anyway and attempts to download all 22gigs worth of the game all over again and you have to manually switch to the NA megaserver yourself to patch normally. Quite why you'd need two seperate clients to play on either server cluster is beyond me, let alone why the Launcher is incapable of accepting a straight answer twice. Beta is beta and all that, but these are pretty egregious and front-loaded fuckups.

If you party with the Party Prince you get two complimentary after-dinner mints
KallDrexx
Terracotta Army

Reply #2681 on: March 14, 2014, 10:37:28 AM

It's always a good sign when you download/install the game and reboot the patcher after a known fault to be asked if you want to migrate to the EU megaserver based on your location... and when you decline, it asks you if you really don't want to migrate to the EU megaserver and you decline again... so the launcher sets itself as 'The Elder Scrolls Online - EU' anyway and attempts to download all 22gigs worth of the game all over again and you have to manually switch to the NA megaserver yourself to patch normally. Quite why you'd need two seperate clients to play on either server cluster is beyond me, let alone why the Launcher is incapable of accepting a straight answer twice. Beta is beta and all that, but these are pretty egregious and front-loaded fuckups.

Maybe they are taking the cue from DAOC and haveing European servers several versions behind   Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Auto Assault Affectionado

Reply #2682 on: March 14, 2014, 11:59:14 AM

Or maybe regional censorship something something? That is odd.

The Transcendent One: AH... THE ROGUE CONSTRUCT.
Nordom: Sense of closure: imminent.
KallDrexx
Terracotta Army

Reply #2683 on: March 14, 2014, 12:51:50 PM

Apparently the update process is pretty dumb

The Elder Scrolls Online beta client requires 27 GB on the computer's hard drive. At least 60 GB are needed to perform the download and installation operations, and furthermore, a computer needs about 15% of its hard drive space to be empty to run properly.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #2684 on: March 14, 2014, 01:24:29 PM

ACK!

Paelos
Contributor

Reply #2685 on: March 14, 2014, 02:28:22 PM

ROFL

WayAbvPar

Reply #2686 on: March 14, 2014, 03:13:26 PM

How long until the 'oh, it also deletes the Boot.ini file on your hard drive' post?

When speaking of the MMOG industry, the glass may be half full, but it's full of urine. HaemishM

Always wear clean underwear because you never know when a Tory Government is going to fuck you.- Ironwood

Libertarians make fun of everyone because they can't see beyond the event horizons of their own assholes Surlyboi
Tannhauser
Terracotta Army

Reply #2687 on: March 14, 2014, 04:23:48 PM

Who's playing, how is the newbie update? My laptop is in the shop.
tmp
Terracotta Army

POW! Right in the Kisser!

Reply #2688 on: March 14, 2014, 07:02:00 PM

The 15% free space sounds fishy as it ran for me pretty well without it, but 60 gb for installation looks about right.

It also likes to leave ~30gb of trash stuff in its directory after you uninstall it, too. Ohhhhh, I see.
Threash
Terracotta Army

Reply #2689 on: March 14, 2014, 08:22:58 PM

Who's playing, how is the newbie update? My laptop is in the shop.

The newbie update is basically skipping the newbie island after the tutorial.  Which is an improvement.

I am the .00000001428%
Cadaverine
Terracotta Army

Reply #2690 on: March 14, 2014, 09:36:02 PM

Tried an Imperial Templar this time.  Made it to level 3, and quit when I had to go kill some assassins on a boat, and there was a dozen plus people milling around waiting to kill it as soon as it spawned.  I'll just stick to playing Oblivion, and Skyrim.

Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin to slit throats.
Venkman
Terracotta Army

Reply #2691 on: March 14, 2014, 09:52:40 PM

You didn't want to spawn camp or wait for the players to create their own rotation?!

Lightweight.*

awesome, for real

* In all seriousness, fuck that old school shit 10 years ago like it should be.
Kageru
Terracotta Army

Reply #2692 on: March 14, 2014, 10:01:23 PM

Since both of these sound like flops what's the next big hope on the MMO horizon? It's a sad situation when EQ:Next is the best hope for a decent MMO (and SOE will find a way to fail).

Is a man not entitled to the hurf of his durf?
- Simond
Modern Angel
Terracotta Army

Reply #2693 on: March 15, 2014, 04:23:33 AM

Bearing in mind that I actually like TESO, I haven't felt the savior of MMO buzz from anything since AOC and WAR launching. I felt like those launches took a lot of wind out of everyone's sails and that everything since then has been "just another game" style buzz. Which can still be solid buzz, just not the sort of thing we used to see.
Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #2694 on: March 15, 2014, 06:21:23 AM

Since both of these sound like flops what's the next big hope on the MMO horizon? It's a sad situation when EQ:Next is the best hope for a decent MMO (and SOE will find a way to fail).
I'm thinking Star Citizen. Grin

Right now it's EQ Next, though I'm not getting my hopes up.  I can't think of anything else that's been announced.  As long as the only thing being put out attempts to be bigger and better than the last MMO instead of just a solid game it will continue that way.

Hahahaha!  I'm really good at this!
Pages: 1 ... 75 76 [77] 78 79 ... 106 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: The Elder Scrolls Online  
Jump to: