Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 18, 2024, 07:04:51 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: The Elder Scrolls Online 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 57 58 [59] 60 61 ... 106 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Elder Scrolls Online  (Read 763631 times)
calapine
Terracotta Army

Solely responsible for the thread on "The Condom Wall."

Reply #2030 on: January 12, 2014, 06:21:01 PM

And we pretty much hate everything between birth and death.  why so serious?

Actually no. General rampant negativity is more fitting for RPGCodex. The "Hivemind" strawman gets thrown around here way too liberally (especially in politics), but sometimes it does exist. When something seems to be cool to hate suddenly everyone loves to pile on.

Which leads to situations were something that is "Quite OK, but not really inspiring" gets depicted as the biggest fuckup since the British retreat from Kabul in 1842.

Restoration is a perfectly valid school of magic!
Stormwaltz
Terracotta Army

Reply #2031 on: January 12, 2014, 06:47:16 PM

FWIW, I've been baffled by the complaints about graphics. I do have issues with the game (I won't discuss), but I was always happy with what the engine and the artists put out.

It could be that ESO's style of "simplified realism" simply agrees with my own taste, or that I'm unusual for expecting something that looked like an MMG rather than Skyrim.

Nothing in this post represents the views of my current or previous employers.

"Isn't that just like an elf? Brings a spell to a gun fight."

"Sci-Fi writers don't invent the future, they market it."
- Henry Cobb
calapine
Terracotta Army

Solely responsible for the thread on "The Condom Wall."

Reply #2032 on: January 12, 2014, 08:19:18 PM

FWIW, I've been baffled by the complaints about graphics. I do have issues with the game (I won't discuss), but I was always happy with what the engine and the artists put out.

It could be that ESO's style of "simplified realism" simply agrees with my own taste, or that I'm unusual for expecting something that looked like an MMG rather than Skyrim.

Yes. I think the graphic complaints stem mostly from the offical large scale pvp trailer. Which looked like something from 2007. As someone (Lantyssa?) said a page or two ago "The PR team should be fired".

Restoration is a perfectly valid school of magic!
rk47
Terracotta Army

The Patron Saint of Radicalthons

Reply #2033 on: January 12, 2014, 09:46:04 PM

The fact that Warhammer MMO had better trailers made me even more sad.
TES is big IP though, it'll sell but the subs - the breath of giant MMOs, will grow short so quick and it'll die an excruciating death months into the game.
That's when they start selling player skin mods and go F2P route. Khajitt tiger stripes anyone?

Colonel Sanders is back in my wallet
Bhazrak
Terracotta Army

Reply #2034 on: January 12, 2014, 10:04:26 PM

Well, I had fun, more than last time actually. But man, 11 weeks is just.... dumb.
Modern Angel
Terracotta Army

Reply #2035 on: January 13, 2014, 05:18:11 AM

Yes. I think the graphic complaints stem mostly from the offical large scale pvp trailer. Which looked like something from 2007. As someone (Lantyssa?) said a page or two ago "The PR team should be fired".

That was me. There's a gulf between what the game is/looks like and what's being presented by their marketing team. And it's not just the pvp trailer. Remember that picture with the weird looking dude with his mouth open at a weird angle? We were all laughing at it when it came out? Yeah.
Fabricated

~Living the Dream~

Reply #2036 on: January 13, 2014, 07:07:15 AM

NDA

But since I'm going to talk some TES lore this doesn't count. The advertised bigbad of the game is Molag Bal.

Given the recent upswing in talk about 'insensitive' content in games I'd like to point out they basically picked the worst Daedra lord next to the one I can't remember who is basically the fertility/sex god.

The name Molag Bal is most known by after well, Molag Bal is "The Lord of Rape".

I have funny feeling you won't be seeing that title in this game, nor any reference to what his more devoted followers have to do to get his boon.

"The world is populated in the main by people who should not exist." - George Bernard Shaw
rk47
Terracotta Army

The Patron Saint of Radicalthons

Reply #2037 on: January 13, 2014, 07:16:52 AM

How is there even a bigbad since the whole frigging game is centered around factions warring each other?

Colonel Sanders is back in my wallet
Fabricated

~Living the Dream~

Reply #2038 on: January 13, 2014, 08:08:02 AM

The factions are fighting eachother over the Imperial City, which is owned by crazy Molag Bal worshipping Imperials if I recall. Molag Bal steals your soul and throws you in coldharbor; you escape and not having a soul is the ingame canon reason you can come back when killed in game.

"The world is populated in the main by people who should not exist." - George Bernard Shaw
Paelos
Contributor

Error 404: Title not found.

Reply #2039 on: January 13, 2014, 08:16:29 AM

I don't really care for lore, but there are three things that drive MMOs. Gameplay, Lore, and People.

One of them you have no control over. The other two, well...

CPA, CFO, Sports Fan, Game when I have the time
Modern Angel
Terracotta Army

Reply #2040 on: January 13, 2014, 08:35:27 AM

I think they've walked back the Lord of Rape thing drastically over the years. He seems much more general enslavement, vampires, and domination now. Which still isn't pleasant but it is way less in your face.

http://elderscrolls.wikia.com/wiki/Molag_Bal

I've actually always loved the Elder Scrolls lore and world. Not enough to read every book or anything but I'm a real sucker for it.
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Auto Assault Affectionado

Reply #2041 on: January 13, 2014, 10:57:22 AM

I think they're just retconning him basically, which is perfectly fine with me.

The Transcendent One: AH... THE ROGUE CONSTRUCT.
Nordom: Sense of closure: imminent.
Sir T
Terracotta Army

Reply #2042 on: January 13, 2014, 11:46:21 AM

Well in Dawnguard the story of the first vampire is recounted and its hinted darkly that it wasn't concentual. Serena hints that her ascension was "degrading"

Hic sunt dracones.
Fabricated

~Living the Dream~

Reply #2043 on: January 13, 2014, 12:41:40 PM

Appropriate post number.

Sir T
Terracotta Army

Reply #2044 on: January 13, 2014, 01:21:55 PM

*sharpens pitchfork*

Hic sunt dracones.
WayAbvPar

Reply #2045 on: January 13, 2014, 03:48:50 PM

I think they're just retconning him basically, which is perfectly fine with me.

"Now with 99% less rape!"

When speaking of the MMOG industry, the glass may be half full, but it's full of urine. HaemishM

Always wear clean underwear because you never know when a Tory Government is going to fuck you.- Ironwood

Libertarians make fun of everyone because they can't see beyond the event horizons of their own assholes Surlyboi
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

a polyamorous pansexual genderqueer born and living in the wrong country

Reply #2046 on: January 22, 2014, 12:32:12 PM

This is the newest official video, where the Devs show off their PvE group content. Supposedly, this is the best example of PvE in TESO at this point, if they are confident enough to release it with commentary and all and considering the negative buzz already surrounding the game. Well, judge it for yourself...

Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #2047 on: January 22, 2014, 12:38:42 PM

This is the newest official video, where the Devs show off their PvE group content. Supposedly, this is the best example of PvE in TESO at this point, if they are confident enough to release it with commentary and all and considering the negative buzz already surrounding the game. Well, judge it for yourself...

Does anyone here think that the combat in this video looks fun and interesting?  

In case I'm not being transparent... I don't.

"Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other."

-  Mark Twain
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Reply #2048 on: January 22, 2014, 12:41:20 PM

I'm not actually sure there's a ton of negative buzz. For some reason almost everyone talking in general during both the beta sessions I was in was super fired up about how great the game was.

Ginaz
Terracotta Army

Reply #2049 on: January 22, 2014, 01:54:08 PM

I'm not actually sure there's a ton of negative buzz. For some reason almost everyone talking in general during both the beta sessions I was in was super fired up about how great the game was.

Is that not the case with most betas, though?  Everyone is usually eager to claim an MMO is great while beta testing but we all know that enthusiasm doesn't last into live.
Fordel
Terracotta Army

Reply #2050 on: January 22, 2014, 02:01:44 PM

Maybe the game is great and YOU are the problem!  shocked

and the gate is like I TOO AM CAPABLE OF SPEECH
Rendakor
Terracotta Army

Reply #2051 on: January 22, 2014, 02:35:16 PM

I think that might be because the people who dislike it didn't come back from subsequent beta tests.

"i can't be a star citizen. they won't even give me a star green card"
Draegan
Terracotta Army

Reply #2052 on: January 22, 2014, 06:26:51 PM

That doesn't look awful.
Mithas
Terracotta Army

Reply #2053 on: January 22, 2014, 07:12:36 PM

Yeah I was expecting much worse. That earlier PvP video looked worse.
Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #2054 on: January 22, 2014, 07:35:01 PM

Did it look $15 a month though?

Hahahaha!  I'm really good at this!
Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #2055 on: January 22, 2014, 08:20:54 PM

Did it look $15 a month though?

Yes... 10 years ago.

"Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other."

-  Mark Twain
Hawkbit
Terracotta Army

Like a Klansman in the ghetto.

Reply #2056 on: January 22, 2014, 08:40:34 PM

It's pretty.

However, it looks like they took the parts of GW2 that I thought I would like, but didn't and smashed it together with a feature-starved WoW. 

Shouldn't we expect more from online games in 2014?
KallDrexx
Terracotta Army

Reply #2057 on: January 22, 2014, 08:43:52 PM

I guess  I'm going to be the odd person out and say that that actually looked fun.  It doesn't look like you have to juggle 25 abilities like a lot more recent games.  It looks very action oriented and GW like but with the trinity (which as GW2 proved is a good thing).  Combat flow looks good.  I could see myself enjoying it, even with a monthly fee.

*shrug*
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Reply #2058 on: January 22, 2014, 08:47:41 PM

It doesn't look like you have to juggle 25 abilities like a lot more recent games.

Hmm. It seems to me rather like MMOs have been stampeding away from having lots of abilities, rather than how you make it sound.

KallDrexx
Terracotta Army

Reply #2059 on: January 22, 2014, 08:51:47 PM

It doesn't look like you have to juggle 25 abilities like a lot more recent games.

Hmm. It seems to me rather like MMOs have been stampeding away from having lots of abilities, rather than how you make it sound.

Which MMOs except for GW2 and TSW actually don't have more than one bar of abilities?  As far as I can see from reading posts both FFXI and SWTOR have a good number of abilities you have to juggle and those are really some of the more recent ones. 

I don't feel like there's been enough releases of MMOs to say there's a trend towards active ability reduction.
Sjofn
Terracotta Army

Truckasaurus Hands

Reply #2060 on: January 22, 2014, 09:00:32 PM

Neverwinter doesn't have a bunch of hot bars either.

I haven't tried everything that's come out recently but SWTOR is the last one I've touched that had a lot of ability juggling ... and that's not really in the "recent" category in my eyes any more. I haven't tried the latest FF one though.

God Save the Horn Players
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Reply #2061 on: January 23, 2014, 12:10:42 AM

Which MMOs except for GW2 and TSW actually don't have more than one bar of abilities?  As far as I can see from reading posts both FFXI and SWTOR have a good number of abilities you have to juggle and those are really some of the more recent ones.  

I don't feel like there's been enough releases of MMOs to say there's a trend towards active ability reduction.

Wildstar, TESO, Guild Wars 2, Neverwinter, TSW.  I might be missing some I didn't play. I didn't play FFXI but I also don't really think of that as new.

Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #2062 on: January 23, 2014, 12:23:13 AM

GW2 technically has two bars on many classes if you count the number keys and the function keys for Elementalist, Mesmer, etc.

-  Mark Twain
Stormwaltz
Terracotta Army

Reply #2063 on: January 23, 2014, 12:30:58 AM

Also, LotRO's recent "NGE" robbed some classes of up to a third of their abilities.

Nothing in this post represents the views of my current or previous employers.

"Isn't that just like an elf? Brings a spell to a gun fight."

"Sci-Fi writers don't invent the future, they market it."
- Henry Cobb
Triforcer
Terracotta Army

Reply #2064 on: January 23, 2014, 07:01:28 AM

M rating for ESO.  That worked out all right for Conan!

Zenimax has already said they won't change anything. or challenge- must be something deeply baked in, otherwise you would think they would just cover the nipple on the statue.

All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu.  This is the truth!  This is my belief! At least for now...
Pages: 1 ... 57 58 [59] 60 61 ... 106 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: The Elder Scrolls Online  
Jump to: