Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 20, 2024, 06:27:03 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: Useless gaming news & chatter 0 Members and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 86 87 [88] 89 90 ... 155 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Useless gaming news & chatter  (Read 1370557 times)
Rasix

I am the harbinger of your doom!

Reply #3045 on: October 27, 2015, 10:22:55 AM

Depends on your definition of "fucked up".  Was it reasonably fun? Sure (until the problems wore you down).  Was it competently made? No.

I'll give it this. I may give it another chance at some point (well after I try the D:OS EE), especially since they patched it up.  I doubt, however, that they've patched out some of my most prominent gripes.

-Rasix
Mandella
Terracotta Army

Reply #3046 on: October 27, 2015, 10:35:46 AM

Funcom's "The Park" is out for 9.99. I'll probably pick it up. Whatever you say about the Secret world, these guys can do creepy.

This one is Joel Bylos' baby, and yeah he can do some good horror writing.

Apparently this was just supposed to be an exercise in learning to use the Unreal Engine (I think), for another project in the works, but Bylos pushed for an independent release for it.

Be advised that it only contains a couple of hours of playtime, so don't be disappointed in that.
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

a polyamorous pansexual genderqueer born and living in the wrong country

Reply #3047 on: October 27, 2015, 04:08:53 PM

New David Cage game. Detroit. About androids.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LL2gW7hmXu4

HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #3048 on: October 27, 2015, 04:27:46 PM

Why doesn't he just make overly pretentious, barely coherent movies instead of these things?

brellium
Terracotta Army

Reply #3049 on: October 27, 2015, 05:12:08 PM

Funcom's "The Park" is out for 9.99. I'll probably pick it up. Whatever you say about the Secret world, these guys can do creepy.

Apparently this was just supposed to be an exercise in learning to use the Unreal Engine (I think), for another project in the works, but Bylos pushed for an independent release for it.

Be advised that it only contains a couple of hours of playtime, so don't be disappointed in that.
The videos have it looking a lot like the amusement park in TSO.

‎"One must see in every human being only that which is worthy of praise. When this is done, one can be a friend to the whole human race. If, however, we look at people from the standpoint of their faults, then being a friend to them is a formidable task."
—‘Abdu’l-Bahá
Ard
Terracotta Army

Reply #3050 on: October 27, 2015, 07:27:29 PM

That's what it's directly based on.

edit:  could have been more clear, yes, that's the same amusement park from the TSO. Iit's set in the same world and place.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2015, 07:29:54 PM by Ard »
Sir T
Terracotta Army

Reply #3051 on: October 28, 2015, 11:54:03 AM

Yeah, bought it, played it, finished it in just under 2 hours. I quite enjoyed it. Nowhere near the best game I've ever played, but I've spent far worse 10 bucks. Got a few items for my the secret world char too so there's that.

I somehow missed one achievement too, so I might replay some of it to get that. Damn completionist gene.

Hic sunt dracones.
satael
Terracotta Army

Reply #3052 on: October 29, 2015, 06:44:43 AM

Paradox Buys White Wolf – Including World Of Darkness and Vampire The Masquerade – From CCP.

In my opinion this is great news since CCP hasn't really done anything with the IP.  DRILLING AND MANLINESS DRILLING AND MANLINESS
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #3053 on: October 29, 2015, 07:35:37 AM

I can see Paradox actually completing something that might be playable. CCP did fuckall but waste money on it.

Quinton
Terracotta Army

is saving up his raid points for a fancy board title

Reply #3054 on: November 01, 2015, 08:35:23 PM

SOMA - Any views ?

Heard about it on Halloween and spent much of Halloween and a bit of today playing it.  Liked it a lot, though it could have used fewer monsters (I thought the mystery/horror of the unfolding story as you explore the environment was far stronger than the monster elements).  The visual design of the environment was fantastic, I enjoyed piecing together the story of "wtf happened / is happening here", and was generally impressed by the experience.

There were two rather frustrating timed sequences and a couple other annoying encounters that soured me on the monster side of things, but everything else made up for it.  The opening sequence has some pretty drab environmental design that had me a bit worried about the overall quality of things, but it was a false alarm.  Once the first surprising thing happens and you're in the main environment of the game, the amount of care put into the level / npc / mechanism / etc design really shows.  If you enjoy really cool airlocks and nice solid-feeling mechanisms, there are plenty of those too.

I was pleasantly surprised that once the initial mystery of who/what the protagonist is was starting to become pretty damn obvious to the player they addressed it in-game rather than dragging it out for an absurd amount of time (though all the details are not immediately obvious nor revealed).  There were a couple possible (overly used) endings that would have been really crappy that they thankfully did not fall victim to.

Story-wise my biggest complaint is the protagonist is not a blank slate, so you ride-along with someone who you may seriously disagree with.  I would have appreciated some minimal dialogue-treeing to allow me to express my own opinion on some things, even if it had no real impact on the story.

There's a no monsters (except for a couple necessary key bits) patch out there, which could be useful if you hate the encounters even more than I did (I might use it for a second play through sometime, to be able to spend more time exploring some areas I didn't get as good a look at as I would have liked):
https://www.reddit.com/r/soma/comments/3qqmb8/spoilers_release_of_my_soma_monster_mod_to_remove/
« Last Edit: November 01, 2015, 08:41:51 PM by Quinton »
Draegan
Terracotta Army

Reply #3055 on: November 02, 2015, 09:41:18 AM

If you like SMITE, here is another "FPS MOBA". Can get a key via this link here: https://rsvp.battleborn.com/ to try the beta via steam.

Checking it out now.
Nija
Terracotta Army

Reply #3056 on: November 02, 2015, 11:29:23 AM

I may overuse the phrase "rainbow vomit" but Battleborn is totally rainbow vomit.

Let me know if you can figure out what's going on. I didn't have the patience to figure it out.
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #3057 on: November 02, 2015, 01:01:05 PM

I have a low tolerance for that shit, so I'll let you know... provided I ever get around to the login and playing part.

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
They called it The Prayer, its answer was law
Mommy come back 'cause the water's all gone
Ginaz
Terracotta Army

Reply #3058 on: November 02, 2015, 02:17:51 PM

It seems an indie MMO, Otherland, on Steam's early access (I'm sure people are shocked at that part) is being accused of paying for fake positive reviews.  Don't know if its true or not.  Don't care.  Game looks like shit and is made by some random shifty Russians.

http://mmos.com/editorials/otherland-has-hundreds-of-fake-paid-reviews-on-steam

ezrast
Terracotta Army

Reply #3059 on: November 02, 2015, 05:58:03 PM

I may overuse the phrase "rainbow vomit" but Battleborn is totally rainbow vomit.

Let me know if you can figure out what's going on. I didn't have the patience to figure it out.
I'll take rainbow vomit over real-is-brown any day (looking at you, Vermintide).

Public discussion is prohibited under Battleborn's NDA, but much thanks to Draegan for the link!
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

a polyamorous pansexual genderqueer born and living in the wrong country

Reply #3060 on: November 03, 2015, 12:20:09 AM

EDIT: NDA.

Judging from trailers and screenshots, this looks like Wildstar: The FPS.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2015, 01:11:58 AM by Falconeer »

Jeff Kelly
Terracotta Army

I'm an apathetic, hedonistic, utilitarian, nihilistic existentialist.

Reply #3061 on: November 03, 2015, 12:28:30 AM

Activision Blizzard buys King for 5.9 billion. I get that whales sometimes spent an excessive amount of money on gems, but 5.9 billion for Candy Crush seems a tad excessive.

This will be yet another Zynga.
schild
Administrator

Reply #3062 on: November 03, 2015, 01:35:25 AM

Activision Blizzard buys King for 5.9 billion. I get that whales sometimes spent an excessive amount of money on gems, but 5.9 billion for Candy Crush seems a tad excessive.

This will be yet another Zynga.
Backwards, King buying companies to expand but not being able to bottle lightning twice would be another Zynga.

Activision buying them is just plain stupidity, greed and a marvelous misunderstanding of the casual/social gaming landscape. A fast-follow reskin of Hearthstone for Starcraft would make them more money than future King games.
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #3063 on: November 03, 2015, 05:59:33 AM

Yeah I heard that on the ride in this morning and was WTFing about it. Maybe if King had some elite crew or multiple games it would make sense but when all they've got is CC? Tech Bubble 2.0 in full effect on prices.

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
Father mike
Terracotta Army

Reply #3064 on: November 03, 2015, 09:11:00 AM

Maybe what Activision payed for was King's crack legal team who managed to trademark "crush", "saga", and "candy".  awesome, for real

I would like to thank Vladimir Putin for ensuring that every member of the NPR news staff has had to say "Pussy Riot" on the air multiple times.
tmp
Terracotta Army

POW! Right in the Kisser!

Reply #3065 on: November 03, 2015, 02:05:45 PM

A fast-follow reskin of Hearthstone for Starcraft would make them more money than future King games.

HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #3066 on: November 03, 2015, 02:12:39 PM

Win.  awesome, for real

Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #3067 on: November 03, 2015, 05:39:11 PM

Maybe what Activision payed for was King's crack legal team who managed to trademark "crush", "saga", and "candy".  awesome, for real

So NPR had a bit from Kotick that almost explained the decision.
1) They realize that their current stable of designers are better at male-oriented hardcore games like CoD, SC2, and WoW.
2) There's huge money out there in the female casual games market.
3) Kings is currently the biggest profit center in that market, even if they only have one game.

So it makes sense in that I can see a businessperson making the decision based on those facts.

schild
Administrator

Reply #3068 on: November 03, 2015, 06:06:45 PM

1) They realize that their current stable of designers are better at male-oriented hardcore games like CoD, SC2, and WoW.
3) Kings is currently the biggest profit center in that market, even if they only have one game.

So it makes sense in that I can see a businessperson making the decision based on those facts.

So, exactly Zynga.

Sick.
MahrinSkel
Terracotta Army

When she crossed over, she was just a ship. But when she came back... she was bullshit!

Reply #3069 on: November 03, 2015, 06:10:16 PM

But at the end of the day, they have exactly one game that is a hit with the 'female casual games market'. A first mover 'lightning in a bottle' success they haven't replicated in any way. So exactly WTF does Activision think they are buying?

--Dave

--Signature Unclear
schild
Administrator

Reply #3070 on: November 03, 2015, 06:23:14 PM

Like I said, exactly Zynga.

Zynga had one hit that happened to strike a chord with weird ass housewives who thought farms were just neato and they bought like 50 companies crating a social gaming version of Activision.

They have not bottle that lightning since, and neither will King Activision Blizzard.
Jeff Kelly
Terracotta Army

I'm an apathetic, hedonistic, utilitarian, nihilistic existentialist.

Reply #3071 on: November 03, 2015, 11:40:22 PM

Only Kotick would be able to frame it as "only women play those stupid money sink match three games" and sound like a complete dick in the process.
schild
Administrator

Reply #3072 on: November 04, 2015, 12:10:04 AM

No, everyone that says that sounds like a dick. But they aren't wrong on a monetization level. Men want to figure out how to game a f2p game. Women are happy to pay to win.

Source: the people that did the math
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #3073 on: November 04, 2015, 06:11:14 AM

So, exactly Zynga.

Sick.

Yep. Bad move but a business guy isn't going to see that, he's only going to see the dollars and assume they will convert to more dollars.

tmp
Terracotta Army

Reply #3074 on: November 04, 2015, 06:50:56 AM

No, everyone that says that sounds like a dick. But they aren't wrong on a monetization level. Men want to figure out how to game a f2p game. Women are happy to pay to win.

I'm not convinced they did their math right, or alternatively there's a lot of women who play discreetly, my Lord World of Tanks and such.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2015, 07:19:53 AM by tmp »
Draegan
Terracotta Army

Reply #3075 on: November 04, 2015, 09:53:51 AM

My wife played Farmville for like 3 months before quitting as she realized she was addicted (she's not a gamer at all). She dropped $60 bucks on the game before I could rip the laptop away from her. She hasn't touched a video game since.
schild
Administrator

Reply #3076 on: November 04, 2015, 10:27:05 AM

I'm not convinced they did their math right, or alternatively there's a lot of women who play discreetly, my Lord World of Tanks and such.
We're talking very specifically about casual/social games. World of Tanks, Path of Exile, etc are hardcore games with reasonable F2P schemes, unless I'm missing something and those games are secretly pay2win.
Engels
Terracotta Army

inflicts shingles.

Reply #3077 on: November 04, 2015, 11:45:53 AM

I'd also like to know where the stats are coming from that there's a huge secret female playerbase for WoT. Sure, there are some celebrity women playing WoT in the EU (Rita Gamer, Jacqueline, for instance), but widespread? I don't think so.

Also, schild is right in his hunch that although WoT is technically f2p, it is not a game that can be played for free without a LOT of soul crushing grindage.

I should get back to nature, too.  You know, like going to a shop for groceries instead of the computer.  Maybe a condo in the woods that doesn't even have a health club or restaurant attached.  Buy a car with only two cup holders or something. -Signe

I LIKE being bounced around by Tonkors. - Lantyssa

Babies shooting themselves in the head is the state bird of West Virginia. - schild
tmp
Terracotta Army

Reply #3078 on: November 04, 2015, 11:48:43 AM

We're talking very specifically about casual/social games. World of Tanks, Path of Exile, etc are hardcore games with reasonable F2P schemes, unless I'm missing something and those games are secretly pay2win.
World of Tanks was my first thought because it's a game I consider pretty casual (you launch the game, you play a match and then rage-quit, all in under 15 mins a day)  But more seriously, there's also bunch of these web/tablet/whatever games that are in my eyes no different from Farmville except skinned to build a "kingdom" not a farm, and oddly enough I only see them advertised toward dudes --and lesbians, I guess-- with half naked chicks writhing and promising untold pleasures if only you click on that link. And we're talking millions spent on this, with literal Superbowl ads and shit. I have yet to see such an ad with a Chippendale in tight leather pants.

Which, if we accept for a second that the research is legit and dudes don't spend money in these casual games but women do, would be pants on head stupid, because shouldn't you rather be advertising to people your own research shows spend the money, not to the ones who don't? So the explanation I can see here is either #1, the research is off and the dudes spend money on these games too, enough of it to make such advertising worthwhile... or #2, these people can't do math, which puts in doubt their ability to properly do that initial math about who the money in these games comes from.

Personally i'm inclined towards #1, mainly because statistics you can find on the subject seem to vary wildly -- when you get three studies from around the same time (last year) and one claims only 5% of U.S. mobile/facebook players ever spend money on microtransactions, another puts this number at ~10-15% and another claims it's as high as 30-40% ... well, is there any reason to believe the other statistics they provide are any more accurate? why so serious?

Incidentally -- a quick google search turned up some quite interesting insight why the spenders actually spend. They only interviewed dudes though, so maybe motivation is different, but it seems that they're much more about social aspect and helping friends who also play and such, than straight "pay to 'win'".
tmp
Terracotta Army

Reply #3079 on: November 04, 2015, 11:59:16 AM

I'd also like to know where the stats are coming from that there's a huge secret female playerbase for WoT.
That's not a statistic, and I should've put it in green, perhaps. The train of thoughts would be as follows:

* if dudes don't spend on F2P games, women do
* but World of Tanks appears highly profitable for their developer, with its current microtransaction system
* then where does the money that keeps them afloat comes from?

it's either a) dudes spend money too, or b) there must be lot of these money spending women in their playerbase.

However, schild's caveat that the spending habits of dudes are actually different in the soul-crushing grind games like WoT can work, idk. Personally I feel it's off and that they're quite happy/quick to spend in these casual titles too, but that's nothing more than a hunch -- and as I mentioned upthread the statistics you can find on the subject don't seem very reliable in general.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2015, 12:01:21 PM by tmp »
Pages: 1 ... 86 87 [88] 89 90 ... 155 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: Useless gaming news & chatter  
Jump to: