Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 01, 2024, 10:06:52 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: X-Box Games still worth getting? 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: X-Box Games still worth getting?  (Read 5781 times)
Azazel
Contributor

on: December 17, 2007, 01:29:15 PM

Since the last stock of the (non-360) XBox stuff is now on deep sale hereabouts, and I never got all that many games for the thing anyway, I'd like to see which games people here consider still worth picking up.

Caveat:  Must work on the 360, or if not, it better be really fucking good. (I do have my original XBox still hooked up, but, you know...)

I've been looking for things that might still be really worthwhile, or things that are still better in their 1st-gen incanations (Like FIFA07 - Pro Evo/Winning 11 are too hardcore for me).
I also recall some hex-based strategy game being recommended to me in the past - can't remember the name of it, but at the time I found it wasn't released in .au, and even my attempts to "aquire" it for my XBMC machine met with failure...

http://azazelx.wordpress.com/ - My Miniatures and Hobby Blog.
schild
Administrator

Reply #1 on: December 17, 2007, 01:33:25 PM

Do Otogi 1 & 2 work on the 360?

Those are the only things I can recommend.

Man, I hated the Xbox.
Azazel
Contributor

Reply #2 on: December 17, 2007, 01:45:09 PM

They're not listed, and while, yes, the PS2 was (and still does) remain a machine I favour, the XBox still had some good games (and a lot of okay ones) - it's just that most weren't exclusives so people like you and I probably tended to buy the PS2 versions...

Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #3 on: December 17, 2007, 01:54:48 PM

I might suggest Chronicles of Riddick but I suspect there is a PC version.  If not, get the Xbox one.  It won't run on the 360.
Phantom Dust.  Works OK on the 360 but with performance issues, especially if you collapse a bridge in Panorama.

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
They called it The Prayer, its answer was law
Mommy come back 'cause the water's all gone
schild
Administrator

Reply #4 on: December 17, 2007, 01:55:37 PM

Isn't Phantom Dust one of the downloadables? Or is that Psychonauts and Fahrenheit?
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #5 on: December 17, 2007, 01:57:00 PM

Pretty sure Phantom Dust is not a downloadable, but how does this matter?  You must be thinking of Psychonauts.

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
Mazakiel
Terracotta Army

Reply #6 on: December 17, 2007, 02:05:16 PM

Indigo Prophecy was pretty good, though as it's now a downloadable purchase on the 360, I'd probably suggest that over the disc.  Unless you tried it on a different platform.  Otherwise, the KOTOR games, Legacy of Kain games, Red Dead Revolver, Beyond Good and Evil,  and Call of Cthulhu would be decent games to try on the cheap.  Some people liked Fable, I thought it sucked, but it'd probably be pretty cheap too.  I'm pretty sure the above games work on the 360, but I'm not positive. 
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #7 on: December 17, 2007, 02:09:00 PM

Fable works, in both incarnations.  Not sure I'd recommend it.  I think KOTOR works, and I'd suggest that if he can't find a PC version.  I'd say skip Cthulhu and get a GameCube and Eternal Darkness.  I'm being sort of harsh with this list, but he did say "really worthwhile".

HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #8 on: December 17, 2007, 02:33:42 PM

Cthulu is very worth while, even in comparison to Eternal Darkness. Crimson Skies was fun, as were both MechAssault games. FIFA 07 was fantastic (IMO).

Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #9 on: December 17, 2007, 02:39:12 PM

Cthulhu starts off fine but I find that I'm spending more time doing the FPS-hallway thing than the solve-the-crime-what-was-that-oh-shit thing that I really should be doing.

HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #10 on: December 17, 2007, 02:41:19 PM

That's a valid criticism.

Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #11 on: December 17, 2007, 05:33:06 PM

I try to be objective with my criticisms; maybe I should explain since it's really not a bad game.  I'm coming up with my own names for these issues, like Libraryism.  This is when you get a long boring sequence in a FPS that is just meant to pad the game length.  Cthulhu doesn't have anything as bad as Halo, but the game after the famous hotel sequence does flirt with it rather hard.  Now, if I still occasionally saw vague, hulking shapes behind dirty windows then I'd probably feel much differently, but I don't.  This is an effect you see in many games where lots of effort goes into the atmosphere/gameplay of the initial areas but the rest of the game is some degree more bland.  See Oblivion for one example.  I was really getting that adventure-game vibe from Cthulhu at first, but later I realized I was once again headshotting baddies and flanking gun turrets.  Maybe things will pick up, I'm only about halfway I think.

Azazel
Contributor

Reply #12 on: December 17, 2007, 10:35:48 PM

Thanks for the suggestions, I have several of those games on XBox already, and some of the others on PC.

I've been looking for FIFA 07 but with no luck so far.

HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #13 on: December 18, 2007, 12:36:14 PM

Cthulhu does turn into a shooter for the most part about halfway in. It's still good at that, mainly because the story and buildup was so good. The creepy is replaced by the "How the fuck do I get through this part" parts, and do not feel bad about grabbing a walkthru for some bits. The ending is... well, it's fucking cryptic and a bit confusing, but still pretty awesome, IMO. Some might think it's a fuck-you ending, but really, it's Cthulhu, OF COURSE IT'S A FUCK-YOU ENDING. Elder Gods do not treat humans well.

FIFA 07 is probably going to be tough to find without getting it used online. They didn't make 08 for the regular X-Box, which is a bit of a shame since defense is much improved on 08 and they otherwise are the same game.

Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #14 on: December 18, 2007, 01:01:24 PM

Indigo Prophecy was pretty good, though as it's now a downloadable purchase on the 360, I'd probably suggest that over the disc.  Unless you tried it on a different platform.  Otherwise, the KOTOR games, Legacy of Kain games, Red Dead Revolver, Beyond Good and Evil,  and Call of Cthulhu would be decent games to try on the cheap.  Some people liked Fable, I thought it sucked, but it'd probably be pretty cheap too.  I'm pretty sure the above games work on the 360, but I'm not positive. 
KotOR 1&2, BG&E and CoC should all be bought on the cheap for the pc imo.
I'm coming up with my own names for these issues, like Libraryism.  This is when you get a long boring sequence in a FPS that is just meant to pad the game length.
How dare you, sir! Have at thee!

Oh, the xbox. I have about two dozen or more games for it. I've actually played about half of them. It really soured me on consoles (again). The GC was a much more worthwhile purchase, I still play through a couple resident evils games now and again. I wish more games would do the time travel/play as different interesting characters thing eternal darkness did, amazing stuff. Hell, half of my xbox games are shooters my dad gave me even after I told him console shooters drive me nuts.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2007, 01:03:35 PM by Sky »
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #15 on: December 18, 2007, 05:09:33 PM

Is Crimson Skies worth a shot as a solo game? I never did play it on an XBox. I was toying with picking it up.
Phildo
Contributor

Reply #16 on: December 18, 2007, 07:06:04 PM

I remember vaguely enjoying Stranger's Wrath, the Oddworld spinoff.  There was also the re-release of Conker that was pretty good.
Mazakiel
Terracotta Army

Reply #17 on: December 18, 2007, 09:15:54 PM

Is Crimson Skies worth a shot as a solo game? I never did play it on an XBox. I was toying with picking it up.

A lot of people apparently liked the X-Box Crimson Skies, but I could never get into it at all.  The original PC game felt pretty flight-simy when I played it way back when, but the X-Box version, what little I played it, seemed to ignore that completely.  Very arcadey, fly around and get powerups, type of stuff. 
schild
Administrator

Reply #18 on: December 18, 2007, 09:17:37 PM

The arcadeyness was a result of someone fucking something up and people liked it so much they kept it in.

It's an intentional mistake.
Mazakiel
Terracotta Army

Reply #19 on: December 18, 2007, 10:06:08 PM

Yeah, I'd gathered as much.  And most people I've talked to, hell, apparently just about everyone but me, loved it.  It was just too different for my tastes.  I'm admittedly pretty picky though. 
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #20 on: December 19, 2007, 06:35:15 AM

I'm coming up with my own names for these issues, like Libraryism.  This is when you get a long boring sequence in a FPS that is just meant to pad the game length.
How dare you, sir! Have at thee!

That would have been soooo funny if you had played Halo.

I'm not suggesting you play Halo.

Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #21 on: December 19, 2007, 07:36:00 AM

No, I did. I used memory bleach.  swamp poop
Azazel
Contributor

Reply #22 on: December 19, 2007, 12:42:01 PM

Well, I found a copy of FIFA07 in the UK. Now I just need to pay for it, wait for it to be sent, and wait for it to arrive. Given the time of year, I'm guessing 2-3 weeks....  swamp poop

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: X-Box Games still worth getting?  
Jump to: