Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 16, 2024, 01:55:57 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: Windows XP Welcome Screen Q 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Windows XP Welcome Screen Q  (Read 3821 times)
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

on: June 05, 2007, 07:33:54 AM

Ok. Sorry if this is an utter newb question, but it's driving me nuts and the last bug I need to squash in this current computer setup.

How do I get the Welcome Screen in XP if I only have one user available?

I've hidden the admin user (ctrl-alt-del twice to login style). I just want the single Public user for people to click when they use the machine, as I have a timer set up from login.

There are a gajillion sites on the web on how to get RID of the welcome screen, but I can't find one on forcing it for a single user. My google-fu was weak in this case  cry
Viin
Terracotta Army

Reply #1 on: June 05, 2007, 08:09:07 AM

XP Home or Pro?

I'm on a network at work, so I can check at home with XP Pro.

- Viin
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #2 on: June 05, 2007, 08:24:07 AM

Pro. No domain, though, just a standalone workstation.
Riggswolfe
Terracotta Army

Reply #3 on: June 05, 2007, 08:45:53 AM

I believe you go into the users and passwords applet in control panel and uncheck the box for "allow quick user login". I think this forces the welcome screen to come up.

"We live in a country, where John Lennon takes six bullets in the chest, Yoko Ono was standing right next to him and not one fucking bullet! Explain that to me! Explain that to me, God! Explain it to me, God!" - Denis Leary summing up my feelings about the nature of the universe.
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #4 on: June 05, 2007, 09:45:58 AM

No such thing. If it were in the User ctrl panel, I wouldn't be asking here!

I, of course, have 'Use the Welcome Screen' checked. Thing is, when you only have one user available to the Welcome Screen, it auto-logs on as that user.
ajax34i
Terracotta Army

Reply #5 on: June 05, 2007, 12:07:14 PM

I'd suggest editing registry and getting to HKLM/Software/Microsoft/Windows NT/CurrentVersion/Winlogon and setting AutoAdminLogon to 0 and ShowLogonOptions to 1, but I've tried that on an XP Home machine and it doesn't work.
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #6 on: June 05, 2007, 12:17:08 PM

That's how it's set now.
lesion

Reply #7 on: June 05, 2007, 12:25:02 PM

try running

rundll32 netplwiz.dll,ClearAutoLogon

?

steam|a grue \[T]/
ajax34i
Terracotta Army

Reply #8 on: June 05, 2007, 12:36:53 PM

I think this article describes the problem, and their suggestion is to create a second account in order to make the welcome icons appear (for both your original and the new account).

You can create a regular user account and then (while logged into Admin), go to Administrative Tools -> Computer Management -> Users and Groups -> Users -> userid, right-click properties, check "disable account", or,

Create regular user account and then (while logged into Admin), go to Administrative Tools, -> Local Security Policy -> Local Policies -> User Rights Assignment, and add the account to Deny Logon Locally (which will remove it from the welcome screen list), or,

Don't create a new account, and simply put a password on the Public account that you have.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2007, 12:44:07 PM by ajax34i »
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #9 on: June 05, 2007, 12:46:33 PM

rundll32 netplwiz.dll,ClearAutoLogon
No.
Don't create a new account, and simply put a password on the Public account that you have.
No. I already tried the disabled user, in any event. Passwording the public account is not an option.
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #10 on: June 05, 2007, 12:52:16 PM

Ok, I take it back. Ajax wins the thread.

I hadn't used the local policy to deny the disabled account local logon.

Thanks, man. I had a messy workaround I didn't want to use as a kludge (letting an idle timer kick the user to login before we open).

You win a woman's bowling trophy.

ajax34i
Terracotta Army

Reply #11 on: June 05, 2007, 12:58:27 PM

Woot.   wink
Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #12 on: June 07, 2007, 12:17:43 PM

For future reference, you might try TweakUI (or Powertools or whatever they're calling it for XP).  It lets you hide users from the Welcome screen and there is an option to not auto-login.

Hahahaha!  I'm really good at this!
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: Windows XP Welcome Screen Q  
Jump to: