Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 15, 2024, 06:42:57 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  MMOG Discussion  |  Topic: Is this true? WH40K MMO in the making? 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Is this true? WH40K MMO in the making?  (Read 32923 times)
rk47
Terracotta Army

The Patron Saint of Radicalthons

on: March 20, 2008, 12:50:44 AM

Colonel Sanders is back in my wallet
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #1 on: March 20, 2008, 01:55:42 AM

Because it's being done by a studio co-founded by a comic book artist and an ex-NCsoft person whose credits are so vague he doesn't have a single listing in Moby Games and they don't mention what he's worked on anywhere on their site?

Edit: by, more typos I shouldn't eat and type at the same time
« Last Edit: March 20, 2008, 02:01:30 AM by Trippy »
rk47
Terracotta Army

Reply #2 on: March 20, 2008, 01:56:51 AM

Because it's been done by a studio co-founded a comic book artist and a ex-NCsoft person whose credits are so vague he doesn't have a single listing in Moby Games and they don't mention what he's worked on anywhere on their site?

swamp poop

schild
Administrator

Reply #3 on: March 20, 2008, 02:00:38 AM

We went over this in the Vajuras thread.

If you want to see the caliber of people working on the game, do a search on that name.
Lt.Dan
Terracotta Army

Reply #4 on: March 20, 2008, 02:02:30 AM

How did they secure the license.  IP owners must be so desparate to create a MMO they'll take a pitch from practically anyone
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #5 on: March 20, 2008, 02:07:25 AM

THQ already had the non-MMO WH40K license (i.e. the Relic Dawn of War games) so it was a natural extension for GW to grant THQ the MMO license as well.
Ratman_tf
Terracotta Army

Reply #6 on: March 20, 2008, 07:43:51 AM

[Chaos-McBolter] LFM Emporor group! ONly needz helar then we ready 2 go!
[Chaos-Drizzit] STFU NOOB Emp wuz nurfed last patch!

"What I'm saying is you should make friends with a few catasses, they smell funny but they're very helpful."
-Calantus makes the best of a smelly situation.
Flinky
Terracotta Army

Reply #7 on: March 20, 2008, 07:48:14 AM

[Chaos-McBolter] LFM Emporor group! ONly needz helar then we ready 2 go!
[Chaos-Drizzit] STFU NOOB Emp wuz nurfed last patch!

On the plus side, people like that will actually help with immersion when playing as Greenskins  awesome, for real

Proud member of the Gnome Brigade.
Arrrgh
Terracotta Army

Reply #8 on: March 20, 2008, 08:39:44 AM

Since most MMOs suck is not having MMO experience really such a drawback?

Murgos
Terracotta Army

Reply #9 on: March 20, 2008, 08:45:24 AM

Yes, because that make the same mistakes that were made 10 years ago rather than all new mistakes.

"You have all recieved youre last warning. I am in the process of currently tracking all of youre ips and pinging your home adressess. you should not have commencemed a war with me" - Aaron Rayburn
Venkman
Terracotta Army

Reply #10 on: March 20, 2008, 08:58:57 AM

Very true, unless it's something like Dofus going for a completely different audience.

In this case though, WH40k is definitely the existing audience unless they cobble together some xtrans-based browser RTS game ;) So yea on the one hand they risk repeating mistakes only other people have learned from. But on the other, you first need confidence in the game actually ever launching to be concerned by that  Ohhhhh, I see.

How many 40k MMOs have been announced in the last 10 years? I can think of two off the top of my head but am pretty sure there were two other times too.
Arrrgh
Terracotta Army

Reply #11 on: March 20, 2008, 09:04:25 AM

Yes, because that make the same mistakes that were made 10 years ago rather than all new mistakes.

The way Vanguard avoided all the mistakes of EQ?
Murgos
Terracotta Army

Reply #12 on: March 20, 2008, 09:26:47 AM

I refuse to be drawn into a debate on why the insane do irrational things.

"You have all recieved youre last warning. I am in the process of currently tracking all of youre ips and pinging your home adressess. you should not have commencemed a war with me" - Aaron Rayburn
naum
Terracotta Army

Reply #13 on: March 20, 2008, 09:41:26 AM

What does any of this have to do with Lejendary Adventure Online?

"Should the batman kill Joker because it would save more lives?" is a fundamentally different question from "should the batman have a bunch of machineguns that go BATBATBATBATBAT because its totally cool?". ~Goumindong
Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #14 on: March 20, 2008, 09:59:23 AM

If there is much truth to that one tell-all post, Vanguard was put out by newbies, too.  It rather reinforces Murgos' point.

Hahahaha!  I'm really good at this!
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #15 on: March 20, 2008, 10:50:19 AM

I cannot see how a 40k MMO would be worth anything unless it was either an MMOFPS that didn't suck (like Battlefield 2 rather than Planetside) or was a turn-based strategy game that was nothing more than a translation of the tabletop to persistant campaign status. I'd play those. If it's just DIKU with 40k Skins, shove it right back up your sunshine hole.

WayAbvPar

Reply #16 on: March 20, 2008, 10:56:34 AM

What does any of this have to do with Lejendary Adventure Online?

Release date:      Cancelled

Sad Panda

When speaking of the MMOG industry, the glass may be half full, but it's full of urine. HaemishM

Always wear clean underwear because you never know when a Tory Government is going to fuck you.- Ironwood

Libertarians make fun of everyone because they can't see beyond the event horizons of their own assholes Surlyboi
angry.bob
Terracotta Army

We're no strangers to love. You know the rules and so do I.

Reply #17 on: March 20, 2008, 11:02:27 AM

Eh, they could make a MMORPG based on that Dark Whateverthefuckangstynerds RPG game they just released but only printed about 500 copies of. It'll suck cockass though unless you can play other races than human, and that brings up some pretty giant balance issues if they stick to the source material.

Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muß man schweigen.
Surlyboi
Terracotta Army

eat a bag of dicks

Reply #18 on: March 20, 2008, 11:55:06 AM

Getcher boltas, boyz, it's time ferra waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaagh!

Tuned in, immediately get to watch cringey Ubisoft talking head offering her deepest sympathies to the families impacted by the Orlando shooting while flanked by a man in a giraffe suit and some sort of "horrifically garish neon costumes through the ages" exhibit or something.  We need to stop this fucking planet right now and sort some shit out. -Kail
naum
Terracotta Army

Reply #19 on: March 20, 2008, 12:47:14 PM

…a turn-based strategy game that was nothing more than a translation of the tabletop to persistant campaign status…

Why hasn't there been any of these?

Oh, I forgot, that would jeopardize RL properties…

"Should the batman kill Joker because it would save more lives?" is a fundamentally different question from "should the batman have a bunch of machineguns that go BATBATBATBATBAT because its totally cool?". ~Goumindong
WayAbvPar

Reply #20 on: March 20, 2008, 01:11:37 PM

…a turn-based strategy game that was nothing more than a translation of the tabletop to persistant campaign status…

Why hasn't there been any of these?

Oh, I forgot, that would jeopardize RL properties…

Pretty much the same reason that WotC insists on selling virtual MtG cards for the same price as real ones. To roll around in cash and fuck the customer twice.

When speaking of the MMOG industry, the glass may be half full, but it's full of urine. HaemishM

Always wear clean underwear because you never know when a Tory Government is going to fuck you.- Ironwood

Libertarians make fun of everyone because they can't see beyond the event horizons of their own assholes Surlyboi
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #21 on: March 20, 2008, 05:17:59 PM

No it's not. It's still the case that the best MMORPGs developed here in NA were done by teams new to the MMO development process. With experienced teams you end up with things like AC2, SWG, TR, EQ II, and AA. Vanguard was something of a special case in that it was designed by vets but mostly implemented by newbies so it doubly sucked. Of course first time efforts can be stinkers as well.

What matters is that the team understands what makes a game fun, cares about quality and knows how to and has the time to polish the game. Relic is such a studio, IMO. Unfortunately they aren't doing the MMO.
Venkman
Terracotta Army

Reply #22 on: March 20, 2008, 05:39:10 PM

I cannot see how a 40k MMO would be worth anything unless it was either an MMOFPS that didn't suck (like Battlefield 2 rather than Planetside) or was a turn-based strategy game that was nothing more than a translation of the tabletop to persistant campaign status. I'd play those.

Either one of those would be awesome, and the latter is a microtrans' fan's wet dream.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #23 on: March 20, 2008, 08:07:07 PM

I cannot see how a 40k MMO would be worth anything unless it was either an MMOFPS that didn't suck (like Battlefield 2 rather than Planetside) or was a turn-based strategy game that was nothing more than a translation of the tabletop to persistant campaign status. I'd play those.

Either one of those would be awesome, and the latter is a microtrans' fan's wet dream.

Oh, I'd be SO DOWN for a TBS translation of the tabletop game. Hell, I'd probably even spend money on the armies, so long as they didn't try to charge RL prices for virtual armies and shit. Of course, knowing GW, they'd probably make it so that you paid like $20 for the basic army and any of the overpowered special units/characters you'd have to buy separately for $10 a pop, making those who spent more much more powerful than those who didn't.

WindupAtheist
Army of One

Badicalthon

Reply #24 on: March 20, 2008, 08:43:28 PM

What's the point of getting excited about some "in the works" MMO?  They take years to actually come out, are frequently shitty, and by the end they resemble nothing like what you expected anyway.  Getting excited about an MMO that may or may not be in development is stupid.  Unless it's KOTOR Online.

anakin'd

"You're just a dick who quotes himself in his sig."  --  Schild
"Yeah, it's pretty awesome."  --  Me
Ratman_tf
Terracotta Army

Reply #25 on: March 20, 2008, 11:01:39 PM

"What I'm saying is you should make friends with a few catasses, they smell funny but they're very helpful."
-Calantus makes the best of a smelly situation.
Megrim
Terracotta Army

Whenever an opponent discards a card, Megrim deals 2 damage to that player.

Reply #26 on: March 20, 2008, 11:18:21 PM

Oh you didn't...

One must bow to offer aid to a fallen man - The Tao of Shinsei.
NiX
Wiki Admin

Locomotive Pandamonium

Reply #27 on: March 21, 2008, 12:19:03 AM

He did and it was funny DRILLING AND MANLINESS
Morfiend
Terracotta Army

wants a greif tittle

Reply #28 on: March 21, 2008, 03:04:56 PM

Nonentity
Terracotta Army

2009 Demon's Souls Fantasy League Champion

Reply #29 on: March 21, 2008, 07:05:37 PM

what

But that Captain's salami tray was tight, yo. You plump for the roast pork loin, dogg?

[20:42:41] You are halted on the way to the netherworld by a dark spirit, demanding knowledge.
[20:42:41] The spirit touches you and you feel drained.
rk47
Terracotta Army

Reply #30 on: March 21, 2008, 07:22:52 PM

wouldn't be so bad if it's MMO'ish with squad gameplay like Granado Espada / Sword of the New World. You're a squad, and you command it. Upgrade gears with requisition points ,participate in battle etc etc.

WindupAtheist
Army of One

Badicalthon

Reply #31 on: March 22, 2008, 01:08:56 AM

"You're just a dick who quotes himself in his sig."  --  Schild
"Yeah, it's pretty awesome."  --  Me
UnSub
Contributor

Reply #32 on: March 23, 2008, 08:11:05 PM

wouldn't be so bad if it's MMO'ish with squad gameplay like Granado Espada / Sword of the New World. You're a squad, and you command it. Upgrade gears with requisition points ,participate in battle etc etc.

I was thinking the same thing: every player has a team of pets they control and command. That would be able to work real time and still have lots of flexibility.

Aez
Terracotta Army

Reply #33 on: March 24, 2008, 06:07:35 AM

Game designer 1 :

I was thinking the same thing: every player has a team of pets they control and command. That would be able to work real time and still have lots of flexibility.

Producer 1 : interesting, will it make the game looks like teh WoW?

Game designer 1 : no.

Producer 1 : what's the point then?

Game designer 1 : We have a fraction of WoW development budget AND they have an 8 year advance on us for development time.  It's better to find a niche and get a 150k stable subscription than fighting an unbeatable war.

Producer 1 :   swamp poop

Game designer 2 : I can deliver teh WoW in 18 months for 8 millions.

Producer 1 : ahhhh, take my money.

Game designer 1 : WTF??? Everybody know this guy is completely insane and addicted to crack!

Producer 1 : What's your point, don't you have a niche to take care of.

Game designer 2 : LOL

Game designer 1 :  swamp poop

Game designer 2 : You like boose?

Producer 1 :   DRILLING AND MANLINESS

Jimbo
Terracotta Army

still drives a stick shift

Reply #34 on: March 24, 2008, 06:22:38 AM

OMG Aez that was too funny!   ROFL  Way too true, but way too funny!

Are there any MMOG's that let you command like a squad?  Not the RTSmmogs, but say a game where you can have a team of four characters you control (or more?), and level them up and have fun building a team.  I allways loved The Temple of Elemental Evil turn based system it had (even if it was a buggy, the way it played was more a thinking rpg), and a mmog where you have it more turn based with a squad would be pretty fun.
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  MMOG Discussion  |  Topic: Is this true? WH40K MMO in the making?  
Jump to: