Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 07, 2024, 07:59:28 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Topic: Write a short story using modern terms 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Write a short story using modern terms  (Read 1472 times)
Righ
Terracotta Army

Teaching the world Google-fu one broken dream at a time.

on: October 19, 2004, 09:43:23 AM

The camera adds a thousand barrels. - Steven Colbert
WonderBrick
Terracotta Army

Reply #1 on: October 19, 2004, 10:05:47 AM

I am kinda surprised to see some words missing.  Like computer related words, including "computer".  or other words that have been added to the dictionary over the years.  Or the term "OK" being used earlier, as a part of a presidential campaign.

Is "1971: green" a typo?

Some of the other words listed, I need to go look up, because I am not familiar with them.

It is interesting seeing words we take for granted, and imagining a world without them, and without the concepts they convey.

"Please dont confuse roleplaying with rollplaying. Thanks."   -Shannow

"Just cuz most MMO use the leveling treadmill doesn't mean I have to lower my "fun standards" to the common acceptance. Simply put, I'm not gonna do that."  -I flyin high
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #2 on: October 19, 2004, 10:12:39 AM

Quote from: WonderBrick
I am kinda surprised to see some words missing.  Like computer related words, including "computer".

Pretty sure the term "computer" was coined more than 101 years ago.  In fact...

According to the Barnhart Concise Dictionary of Etymology, computer came into use in English in 1646 as a word for a "person who computes" and then by 1897 as a "mechanical calculating machine." The word referred to an electronic machine by 1946, perhaps as early as 1941. It is formed from the word compute, which was borrowed in 1631 from the French computer, which was a learned borrowing from Latin computare, meaning "to count, sum up."

http://dictionary.reference.com/help/faq/language/c/computer.html

"I have not actually recommended many games, and I'll go on the record here saying my track record is probably best in the industry." - schild
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #3 on: October 19, 2004, 10:20:09 AM

Might have something to do with the source
Source - Larpers and Shroomers: The language report

Really, what do a bunch of LARPers and guys on 'shrooms know?

Ok, easy joke aside they're referring to the term "green" as in "green" fuels, not the color.  It's not a collection of words as they were invented, but when they entered the common lexicon.

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
Jayce
Terracotta Army

Diluted Fool

Reply #4 on: October 19, 2004, 10:21:05 AM

I

Maybe a reference to Greenpeace's formation:

Green (adj.) in the sense of "environmental" is attested from 1972; Greenpeace, the international conservation and environmental protection group, is from 1971.

From my favorite web site.

The BBC article -is- taking some liberties with certain words.  "OK yah" they list as a word, when as someone pointed out, OK is from much earlier.

Witty banter not included.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Topic: Write a short story using modern terms  
Jump to: