Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 05, 2024, 12:46:46 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: StarCraft II Beta 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 37 Go Down Print
Author Topic: StarCraft II Beta  (Read 271769 times)
Draegan
Terracotta Army

on: May 06, 2009, 10:25:05 AM

The StarCraft II beta-test period is coming in the months ahead! If you'd like a chance to participate, now's the time to let us know. Simply go to the "Beta Profile Settings" page in Battle.net account management to go through the new beta opt-in process and upload a snapshot of your system specs. During this process, you'll also have the opportunity to opt in to future betas for other Blizzard Entertainment games. Please note that even if you've opted in to our betas previously, you'll need to complete this new process and upload your current system specs to have a chance to be invited.

Time to submit your beta application.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2010, 09:43:04 AM by Trippy »
Tarami
Terracotta Army

Reply #1 on: May 06, 2009, 10:34:53 AM

How do I sign up?

- I'm giving you this one for free.
- Nothing's free in the waterworld.
Murgos
Terracotta Army

Reply #2 on: May 06, 2009, 10:42:32 AM

"You have all recieved youre last warning. I am in the process of currently tracking all of youre ips and pinging your home adressess. you should not have commencemed a war with me" - Aaron Rayburn
Tarami
Terracotta Army

Reply #3 on: May 06, 2009, 10:51:59 AM

Thanks!

- I'm giving you this one for free.
- Nothing's free in the waterworld.
Murgos
Terracotta Army

Reply #4 on: May 06, 2009, 10:59:18 AM

Happy to help.  awesome, for real

"You have all recieved youre last warning. I am in the process of currently tracking all of youre ips and pinging your home adressess. you should not have commencemed a war with me" - Aaron Rayburn
Nonentity
Terracotta Army

2009 Demon's Souls Fantasy League Champion

Reply #5 on: May 06, 2009, 11:53:35 AM

Boo! I have my DxDiag from my home computer on my work computer so I can app to betas from work, but now I have to run their dumb program.

DUMB

But that Captain's salami tray was tight, yo. You plump for the roast pork loin, dogg?

[20:42:41] You are halted on the way to the netherworld by a dark spirit, demanding knowledge.
[20:42:41] The spirit touches you and you feel drained.
Salamok
Terracotta Army

Reply #6 on: May 06, 2009, 07:56:14 PM

The up side of going through blizzards process is that once you register all of your blizzard games it remembers all of your cd keys and you then have the option of downloading the game in case the media is misplaced or screwed up.
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #7 on: May 06, 2009, 08:01:04 PM

I can't upload using Blizz's System Checker as hitting send just gives an error message. I've probably firewalled the port they're trying to use, but I can't find any info on which ports to unblock.  Woo hah.

I fail to see the reason to do it this way instead of the traditional "send us your DXDiag."   It's not like they couldn't do that along with their whole 'you must have a cd key registered' to prevent spamming for betas.

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
Salamok
Terracotta Army

Reply #8 on: May 06, 2009, 08:03:35 PM

I'm guessing the beta thing is just bait to get you to buy into to their new account management system.

edit: and people fudge their dxdiags
Velorath
Contributor

Reply #9 on: May 07, 2009, 01:39:28 AM

I can't upload using Blizz's System Checker as hitting send just gives an error message. I've probably firewalled the port they're trying to use, but I can't find any info on which ports to unblock.  Woo hah.

I got an error telling me to check my internet connection the first few times I tried to send the data.  Tried again a few minutes later and it worked, so maybe it's just that too many people were trying to send it in at once.
Salamok
Terracotta Army

Reply #10 on: May 07, 2009, 06:53:02 AM

In retrospect I am thinking i should have signed up each of my games to their own acct to up my lottery chances.
gryeyes
Terracotta Army

Reply #11 on: May 07, 2009, 07:33:31 PM

I got an error telling me to check my internet connection the first few times I tried to send the data.  Tried again a few minutes later and it worked, so maybe it's just that too many people were trying to send it in at once.

Same, i had to try a few times before it got accepted. Took me longer to track down a Blizzard game with a code on it.
Ratman_tf
Terracotta Army

Reply #12 on: May 07, 2009, 08:22:13 PM

Yuk. I don't want my email address to be my login!

"What I'm saying is you should make friends with a few catasses, they smell funny but they're very helpful."
-Calantus makes the best of a smelly situation.
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #13 on: May 07, 2009, 08:53:05 PM

Wow their system checker sends your MAC address to Blizzard.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2009, 08:54:52 PM by Trippy »
Rendakor
Terracotta Army

Reply #14 on: May 08, 2009, 12:15:26 AM

Kind of offtopic, but if I already have a WoW account can I turn that into one of these wierd Battle.net accounts so that I can sign up for the SC2 beta? Or should I just create a new account?

"i can't be a star citizen. they won't even give me a star green card"
Koyasha
Terracotta Army

Reply #15 on: May 08, 2009, 02:09:36 AM

You have to (I think) create a new battle.net account, then merge your WOW account into it.  But the way I understand it you then have to log into wow with your email address.

-Do you honestly think that we believe ourselves evil? My friend, we seek only good. It's just that our definitions don't quite match.-
Ailanreanter, Arcanaloth
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #16 on: May 08, 2009, 04:04:31 AM

What Koyasha said. 

I finally got it to work, but had to download a new copy of the profiler to do so.  Apparently the one I had was corrupted.  awesome, for real

Vash
Terracotta Army

Reply #17 on: May 08, 2009, 06:29:21 AM

I like how you have to download and run their system checker, but then it doesn't even recognize SLI.   swamp poop

I wonder if it fails to recognize Crossfire too?
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #18 on: May 08, 2009, 06:39:28 AM

I suppose it is either very anemic in what it gathers, or it simply doesn't show you everything it gathers.  It showed that my disk space was ~75GB, which only counts my boot disk/partition.

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
They called it The Prayer, its answer was law
Mommy come back 'cause the water's all gone
Big Gulp
Terracotta Army

Reply #19 on: May 08, 2009, 06:44:59 AM

This is a multiplayer beta, right?  Pass.  I've come to the conclusion that multiplayer is great in theory, shitty in practice.

I prefer my gaming to be a solitary exercise, unless it's a casual, play on the couch with friends game.
Goreschach
Terracotta Army

Reply #20 on: May 08, 2009, 07:01:14 AM

This is a multiplayer beta, right?  Pass.  I've come to the conclusion that multiplayer is great in theory, shitty in practice.

I prefer my gaming to be a solitary exercise, unless it's a casual, play on the couch with friends game.

You do know what starcraft is, right?
Ratman_tf
Terracotta Army

Reply #21 on: May 08, 2009, 08:00:00 AM

"YOU PUSILLANIMOUS MAGGOTS! GET ON THE BATTLEFIELD!"

"What I'm saying is you should make friends with a few catasses, they smell funny but they're very helpful."
Big Gulp
Terracotta Army

Reply #22 on: May 08, 2009, 08:40:48 AM

Yep, I'm just assuming that the beta is to balance out multiplayer, and that you're not getting the single player component of the game.  Am I right in this?

If that's the case then I wouldn't even want to touch it until the actual game hits retail since I'm only interested in the single player game.  I"ve just recently come to the conclusion that I need to be more careful about what games I buy.  Even admittedly great games like TF2 or L4D don't get played by me because I don't really want to deal with other people.  Shit, I don't even like associating with people in games like WoW.
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #23 on: May 08, 2009, 10:30:54 AM

I suppose it is either very anemic in what it gathers, or it simply doesn't show you everything it gathers.  It showed that my disk space was ~75GB, which only counts my boot disk/partition.

It's very anemic.  They specifically state in the FAQ that it won't detect multiple drives or partitions.

Vash
Terracotta Army

Reply #24 on: May 08, 2009, 10:42:12 AM

It's very anemic.  They specifically state in the FAQ that it won't detect multiple drives or partitions.

That's pretty dissapointing, since the difference between having 1 video card and two of the same card in SLI or crossfire is fairly significant.  Not to mention from what I coud tell it didn't even check the GPU speed or amount of ram on your video card, just grabbed the basic model name.
Ragnoros
Terracotta Army

Reply #25 on: May 08, 2009, 10:47:47 AM

That's pretty dissapointing, since the difference between having 1 video card and two of the same card in SLI or crossfire is fairly significant.  Not to mention from what I coud tell it didn't even check the GPU speed or amount of ram on your video card, just grabbed the basic model name.
This is blizzard.  It should run smoothly on a toaster.

Edit: If anything they probably want to test it on lower end systems to further refine said toaster performance.

« Last Edit: May 08, 2009, 10:51:16 AM by Ragnoros »

Owls are an example of evolution showing off. -Shannow

BattleTag - Ray#1555
Vash
Terracotta Army

Reply #26 on: May 08, 2009, 12:06:02 PM

The rest of my system is not a toaster though, I figure I'd have a better shot at getting in as a higher end system with a less common SLI setup.  Instead their System Check tool makes it look like my system is some sort of weird Frankenstein abomination with an older video card holding it back.  Ohhhhh, I see.
Draegan
Terracotta Army

Reply #27 on: May 08, 2009, 01:24:48 PM

You probably have a better chance at getting to test this game having a 5 year old POS than a Super-Computer.
Ratman_tf
Terracotta Army

Reply #28 on: May 08, 2009, 01:25:48 PM

The rest of my system is not a toaster though, I figure I'd have a better shot at getting in as a higher end system with a less common SLI setup.  Instead their System Check tool makes it look like my system is some sort of weird Frankenstein abomination with an older video card holding it back.  Ohhhhh, I see.

That'll probably up your chances though...  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

Blah. Draegan.  Ohhhhh, I see.

Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Auto Assault Affectionado

Reply #29 on: May 08, 2009, 03:14:53 PM

Boo! I have my DxDiag from my home computer on my work computer so I can app to betas from work, but now I have to run their dumb program.

DUMB

Don't you have an automatic entry from your Blizzcon card anyway?

The Transcendent One: AH... THE ROGUE CONSTRUCT.
Nordom: Sense of closure: imminent.
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #30 on: May 08, 2009, 07:30:10 PM

You probably have a better chance at getting to test this game having a 5 year old POS than a Super-Computer.
I suppose I should not get hopeful considering my Windows version is from "teh future". Ohhhhh, I see.

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
They called it The Prayer, its answer was law
Mommy come back 'cause the water's all gone
shiznitz
Terracotta Army

the plural of mangina

Reply #31 on: May 11, 2009, 01:34:16 PM

This won't be news to anyone but it might as well be somewhere. From the Activision earnings call:

Update on Development of StarCraft II
• Now I’d like to provide an update on the development of StarCraft II, which continues to be
a major focus for us this year
• This summer, we will be opening up external beta testing, and while we haven’t announced
a release date yet, this phase will signal the final stretch of development
• During the StarCraft II beta test, we’ll also begin external testing of our newly revamped
Battle.net online service, including some features that are designed to connect all future
Blizzard games
o This includes new tools that will make it easier for players to communicate with
each other between games

I have never played WoW.
Ratman_tf
Terracotta Army

Reply #32 on: May 11, 2009, 03:38:04 PM

• This summer, we will be opening up external beta testing, and while we haven’t announced
a release date yet, this phase will signal the final stretch of development

Xerapis
Contributor

Reply #33 on: May 12, 2009, 12:44:14 AM

Sweet.

If I get in, all of my male students will be forced to worship me.

..I want to see gamma rays. I want to hear x-rays. I want to...smell dark matter...and feel the solar wind of a supernova flowing over me...
Soulflame
Terracotta Army

Reply #34 on: May 19, 2009, 10:10:47 AM

I've watched a couple of videos where two "e-sport" players are testing maps, and I have to say, the sheer amount of micro that's going on in the video really kills a lot of my desire to play this against other people.

I'm with Big Gulp.  Bring on the single player.  I'll be damned if I want to micro my troops while running away from an explody bug, by running one at a time back into the explody bugs, all while managing an economy, scouting, watching builds, etc.  It looks entirely too much like work.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 37 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: StarCraft II Beta  
Jump to: