Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 18, 2024, 07:20:02 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  MMOG Discussion  |  Topic: Rift: Planes of Telara 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 84 85 [86] 87 88 ... 97 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Rift: Planes of Telara  (Read 803515 times)
Modern Angel
Terracotta Army

Reply #2975 on: March 10, 2011, 07:49:59 AM

Yeah, I guess I shouldn't have posted three pages worth of raging about AFKers. Oh, wait. I didn't fucking do that. I was responding to someone bragging about the dickhead maneuver. Be discrete if you're going to game the system. You also never get to bitch about exploiters, getting ganked for hours or any of the myriad ways people can game the system to fuck you over. Ever. You turned in your complaining card.
Lakov_Sanite
Terracotta Army

Reply #2976 on: March 10, 2011, 07:53:37 AM

why so serious?

~a horrific, dark simulacrum that glares balefully at us, with evil intent.
Paelos
Contributor

Error 404: Title not found.

Reply #2977 on: March 10, 2011, 07:55:48 AM

Get a room you two. The sexual tension is killing me.

CPA, CFO, Sports Fan, Game when I have the time
Shatter
Terracotta Army

Reply #2978 on: March 10, 2011, 08:11:54 AM

One can get mad at players for doing it but its Trion's fault.  I mean lets all go back in time to WOW when people would afk in AV.  Literally half the team would be afk at times in the tunnel.  Did you really think letting people net favor and experience for doing nothing in a warfront wouldnt get exploited?  Overall they have done a decent job but this one getting by was stupidity at best.  I did see in todays patch notes they added a 15 minute wait period if you leave a warfront early...so glad they added that but have nothing for afkers. 
AcidCat
Terracotta Army

Reply #2979 on: March 10, 2011, 08:12:27 AM

When the shine starts to wear off, people will realize that they left WoW for a different-looking-WoW and will either get bored faster or just go back to their first love.     

I dunno, at this stage is WoW's life I think there are more and more players that have been playing the game for years and are just ready for something else in the same genre. Rift certainly comes at a good time to take advantage of Azeroth fatigue. I know I won't be going back to WoW this time. There's only so many years you can play the same game, regardless of expansions.
Soulflame
Terracotta Army

Reply #2980 on: March 10, 2011, 08:41:44 AM

People aren't people in mmo's. They are little pixelated sprites, disassociation and all that. I really don't think it makes you a bad person to not care if you just stole a mining node from legolaz(in my defense, his name was legolaz)
Do you still actually feel that way?  Are you being for real?

If so, I do hope you grow up some day.
Draegan
Terracotta Army

Reply #2981 on: March 10, 2011, 08:42:27 AM

When the shine starts to wear off, people will realize that they left WoW for a different-looking-WoW and will either get bored faster or just go back to their first love.     

I dunno, at this stage is WoW's life I think there are more and more players that have been playing the game for years and are just ready for something else in the same genre. Rift certainly comes at a good time to take advantage of Azeroth fatigue. I know I won't be going back to WoW this time. There's only so many years you can play the same game, regardless of expansions.

That's my argument as well.
Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #2982 on: March 10, 2011, 08:45:12 AM

That's my argument as well.

A part of me wants you both to be right.  I'm enjoying my time in Rift.  I also enjoyed my time in DCUO.  It's nice to have options in how to spend my gaming time.

"Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other."

-  Mark Twain
Lakov_Sanite
Terracotta Army

Reply #2983 on: March 10, 2011, 08:45:18 AM

See? I think the game is TOO similar to wow. I am getting sick of wow and don't want a watered down version. Now some people think rift is better than wow and that may be their opinion but they are wrong.  Rift is trying to be a re-textured wow in so many places and you just can't do that any better than they do so rift ends up being equal to in some regards, lesser in a few areas than wow.

Again, doesn't mean rift is a bad game, in fact it's a lot of fun but they really should be pushing the non wow aspects to make it an overll better game. The rifts are a big stepping stone but why isn't the end-game rifts? Yes there are level 50 raiding rifts but there are also heroics and raids afaik which seem too much like they are trying to copy wow "again" I mean heroics? seriously?

Now one of the best, BEST things I found in rift and possibly the most fun I've had was last night when I discovered that zones have hidden puzzles and cairnes. Little mini games that can net you a nice level appropriate blue item.  Why am I just now hearing about those? why aren't they playing up this sort of thing?  Why do the dyes cost so damned much?

Trion is dropping the ball in trying too hard to be the same thing. They needed to just have basic wow functionality, the UI, combat, etc and that's all in there but that's where it needed to stop and where they really should have started trying new things.

I've said it before, the game will do well and it'll hang around for a while but it's the stepping stone, it's the transition game between wow and "the next big thing"

Modern Angel
Terracotta Army

Reply #2984 on: March 10, 2011, 08:46:26 AM

Same. I think Cataclysm was a fine expansion, better than WLK. Despite that, I'm not subbed. It doesn't do it for me. Rift is just different enough that it scratches the same itch without being a 100% clone. YMMV, but I think there's plenty of WoW ennui for a near-WoW to do quite well.
Rasix

I am the harbinger of your doom!

Reply #2985 on: March 10, 2011, 08:49:15 AM

After Rift, I'm done with DIKU mmo for a while.  Every time I've gone back to WoW, it's because it was offering a better experience (IMO) than the game I was playing (EQ2, LOTRO, AoC, WAR).  It's just not right now.  For the most part, Cataclysm is not the expansion I wanted.  

Quitting Rift, at this moment, will likely be from MMO/diku burnout or a desire to play single player games like DA2.  Rift hasn't managed to piss me off yet, but I'm pretty easy to keep happy.  I don't take my MMO gaming super duper seriously.  Little bugs or shit I know that's going to be fixed don't bother me.  End game concerns don't really bother me as I'm enjoying leveling. 

-Rasix
Lakov_Sanite
Terracotta Army

Reply #2986 on: March 10, 2011, 08:53:00 AM

People aren't people in mmo's. They are little pixelated sprites, disassociation and all that. I really don't think it makes you a bad person to not care if you just stole a mining node from legolaz(in my defense, his name was legolaz)
Do you still actually feel that way?  Are you being for real?

If so, I do hope you grow up some day.

There's fresh air outside, it's also nice and sunny, you really should get off the computer and take it in sometime.  Do I go out of my way to be a douchebag? no. Do I realize that there are people behind the screens? of course. Getting upset over someone teabagging your corpse, stealing a node, afk'ing in pvp however just means you need to get out.

Falconeer
Terracotta Army

a polyamorous pansexual genderqueer born and living in the wrong country

Reply #2987 on: March 10, 2011, 09:03:15 AM

Now some people think rift is better than wow and that may be their opinion but they are wrong.

If that isn't trolling I don't know what is. You don't mean to do it, your fingers just type on their own.

EDIT: because whatever.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2011, 09:04:58 AM by Falconeer »

WayAbvPar

Reply #2988 on: March 10, 2011, 09:17:53 AM

Let's talk about the game and not about other posters. I am asking nicely. Please don't make me ask again.

When speaking of the MMOG industry, the glass may be half full, but it's full of urine. HaemishM

Always wear clean underwear because you never know when a Tory Government is going to fuck you.- Ironwood

Libertarians make fun of everyone because they can't see beyond the event horizons of their own assholes Surlyboi
Threash
Terracotta Army

Reply #2989 on: March 10, 2011, 09:28:43 AM

Now one of the best, BEST things I found in rift and possibly the most fun I've had was last night when I discovered that zones have hidden puzzles and cairnes. Little mini games that can net you a nice level appropriate blue item.  Why am I just now hearing about those? why aren't they playing up this sort of thing?  Why do the dyes cost so damned much?

They are rewards for explorers, advertising them completely ruins the point of having them.  At that point they might as well spawn the loot in your bags when you reach the appropriate level.  I'm with you on the dyes.

I am the .00000001428%
Lakov_Sanite
Terracotta Army

Reply #2990 on: March 10, 2011, 09:45:37 AM

They are rewards for explorers, advertising them completely ruins the point of having them.  At that point they might as well spawn the loot in your bags when you reach the appropriate level.  I'm with you on the dyes.

I don't mean telling players where there are and how to do them, anyone can google that stuff. I just mean letting players know these things 'exist' and having many, many more of them than maybe one per zone.  These are things people have been conditioned to not even bother looking for in most mmo's and could be one of rifts biggest strengths but they arent playing to it.

AcidCat
Terracotta Army

Reply #2991 on: March 10, 2011, 10:11:51 AM

Actually I've been so trained by WoW's "guided tour" of the world that I have to keep reminding myself to get off the beaten path and look around. The artifact sets and puzzles are a welcome incentive to just explore.
Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #2992 on: March 10, 2011, 10:46:30 AM

I don't mean telling players where there are and how to do them, anyone can google that stuff. I just mean letting players know these things 'exist' and having many, many more of them than maybe one per zone.  These are things people have been conditioned to not even bother looking for in most mmo's and could be one of rifts biggest strengths but they arent playing to it.

Reading your achievements list helps with finding new things to do and explore. 

"Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other."

-  Mark Twain
WayAbvPar

Reply #2993 on: March 10, 2011, 11:08:32 AM

I love the idea of the hidden stuff in each zone. I just can't make myself go dig around for it when every 5 steps I am getting dismounted and debuffed by mobs 10 levels below me. If the patch fixes that, I will spend my next several hours exploring Freemarch with a fine-toothed comb.

When speaking of the MMOG industry, the glass may be half full, but it's full of urine. HaemishM

Always wear clean underwear because you never know when a Tory Government is going to fuck you.- Ironwood

Libertarians make fun of everyone because they can't see beyond the event horizons of their own assholes Surlyboi
Draegan
Terracotta Army

Reply #2994 on: March 10, 2011, 11:10:22 AM

See? I think the game is TOO similar to wow. I am getting sick of wow and don't want a watered down version. Now some people think rift is better than wow and that may be their opinion but they are wrong.

awesome, for real

In any case, Lakov, have you participated in a zone wide event?  If you have, have you participated several different ones?
« Last Edit: March 10, 2011, 11:13:38 AM by Draegan »
Lakov_Sanite
Terracotta Army

Reply #2995 on: March 10, 2011, 11:53:42 AM

Are talking about the zone wide events the rift invasions where you go around killing rifts then killing roaming packs, then a boss appears and you kill that? I seem to recall some buff the wardstones thing too but i was over before I knew what was going on.

I do like the random rifts and invasions and while some people here *cough* keep saying there are several different types, all I see are "look a ton of mobs, kill them" type events.

Back to me saying its not a better game. Well they are trying to out-wow wow and we should all know that's not possible. Also anyone who says rift isnt blatantly copying many parts of wow is either blind or lying. I'm not saying they shouldnt take what wow did well but it's more than that since they are taking a lot of the bad stuff too.

It's obvious there were a lot of good ideas that went into the making of the game but got scaled back with people saying things like "slow down, we cant be too different from wow" and I think that kills some of their potential.

Draegan
Terracotta Army

Reply #2996 on: March 10, 2011, 12:10:20 PM

So the answer to my question is that you have only done the Silverwood/Freemarch one then yes?

Did you get passed level 20 yet?

Lakov_Sanite
Terracotta Army

Reply #2997 on: March 10, 2011, 12:38:21 PM

Fun doesn't start until you hit 50? Learn2play noob?  awesome, for real

I got to 30 defiant side then switched and am 29 guardian now. I'll just have to wait a bit longer for that fun I suppose?

Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #2998 on: March 10, 2011, 12:44:46 PM

To be honest, many of the soul trees don't really start getting fleshed out until 35 or so.  My cleric started to really get interesting when it hit 34.  Every level after that has been a learning experience.  I'm finding that while I have new toys to play with that a new problem has emerged.  My wisdom doesn't scale in the later levels like it did in the early game.  This has me wondering if it's like that for other classes as well.  The problem with balancing for the endgame is that some souls will flesh out early and some late.  This will give you the illusion of being weak or strong at different points along the leveling process.  I just hope that when I hit 50, it will be fairly evened out.  If not now, in a few months.   

-  Mark Twain
Draegan
Terracotta Army

Reply #2999 on: March 10, 2011, 12:53:14 PM

Fun doesn't start until you hit 50? Learn2play noob?  awesome, for real

I got to 30 defiant side then switched and am 29 guardian now. I'll just have to wait a bit longer for that fun I suppose?

Seriously dude?  You're going this route? 

In any case, there are multiple zone invasion events for each element in each zone though I haven't seen the higher level ones yet.  I guess you haven't seen any of them outside the newbie ones.
Lakov_Sanite
Terracotta Army

Reply #3000 on: March 10, 2011, 01:08:12 PM

We can't all be raiding 4/5 in "uber dungeon 02" sorry.  However more than halfway though leveling and having been in three of the zones so far none of the rifts have been more interesting than "shit spawns, kill it" you seem to be under the impression that maybe hiding the shit in barrels, or having to buff a crystal before killing said shit, or having a really big shit appear seem to all be vastly different things, they aren't.

What's different about rift? the exploration stuff is very nice and so are the puzzles. The rifts themselves however do not seem to be interesting beyond visually and can you please explain HOW they are different? Besides just coming in 4-5 different color schemes. Fuck I even like the mechanic but it gets old.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2011, 01:10:40 PM by Lakov_Sanite »

Bzalthek
Terracotta Army

"Use the Soy Sauce, Luke!" WHOM, ZASH, CLISH CLASH! "Umeboshi Kenobi!! NOOO!!!"

Reply #3001 on: March 10, 2011, 02:12:25 PM

Utnayan?

"Pity hurricanes aren't actually caused by gays; I would take a shot in the mouth right now if it meant wiping out these chucklefucks." ~WayAbvPar
Draegan
Terracotta Army

Reply #3002 on: March 10, 2011, 07:37:33 PM

You're a very angry and bitter individual.  Maybe you should take a break.
Lakov_Sanite
Terracotta Army

Reply #3003 on: March 10, 2011, 10:07:17 PM

You're a very angry and bitter individual. 

www.f13.net

Look the game is fun but it's also pretty....safe.  They didn't do anything especially daring and essentially just copied wow in almost every aspect. They could have done a lot more and been dare I say a great game but it's all there same as wow, even the little puns and inside references, though they are more subdued.

Where this game deviate it really shines but the problem is they got way too conservative and will they fix that? maybe. My guess is a lot of people are going to play this for a bit, people already burned out on wow, see this is essentially the same and just stop playing mmo's for a while.

Ashamanchill
Terracotta Army

Reply #3004 on: March 10, 2011, 10:19:41 PM

Dude, rifts are essentially open air dungeons. They give you the loot (dispersed through planarite/those funky blue shit they occaisionally drop) you need to do other, better dungeons, or raids, or what not. They are no different than Vortex Pinnacle, except they are right beside you. If you don't like them, realistically you can say, fuck you, I'm sticking to dungeons/questing.

My only significant beef with them is that they need to show much clearer who is a tank and who is a healer. I'm sorry but this is the age of LFD whether you like it or not, and we are not all doing every rift with our buddies. It need to make a giant shield above the person with current aggro, or something, saying HEAL ME DUMMY!!! Having a tank spec's name in oragne is not really enough.

A poster signed by Richard Garriot, Brad McQuaid, Marc Jacobs and SmerricK Dart.  Of course it would arrive a couple years late, missing letters and a picture but it would be epic none the less. -Tmon
Hawkbit
Terracotta Army

Like a Klansman in the ghetto.

Reply #3005 on: March 10, 2011, 11:20:37 PM

My guess is a lot of people are going to play this for a bit, people already burned out on wow, see this is essentially the same and just stop playing mmo's for a while.

I think Rift will be one of the last profitable MMOs for a very long time (not considering GW2 a true MMO).  The wheel is ready for reinvention. 

I was thinking about this pretty recently, that when my time in Rift is done, I likely won't go back to WoW.  And that surprises the shit out of me, honestly.  It's the first time I've looked at it and just didn't want to go back.  So now I'm looking at all the other MMOs, seeing that they're all little broken pieces of WoW (or WoW stole their little pieces and tried to fix them).  And again, I'm not seeing myself wanting to go back to any of them. 

I use EQ1 as my nostalgia fix and after multiple attempts to get back into it over the past six years, I just can't.  And I think that feeling is lost now, it will only likely come back when the next really, really remarkable game is released that changes everything like WoW did.  I realize this sounds all dramatic, but for someone who thought they'd be playing MMOs for life, I'm now seeing that really isn't the case for myself. 
Draegan
Terracotta Army

Reply #3006 on: March 11, 2011, 07:56:16 AM

You're a very angry and bitter individual. 

www.f13.net

F13 isn't angry or bitter.  It's jaded, skeptical, and mean.  There's a difference.
Dark_MadMax
Terracotta Army

Reply #3007 on: March 11, 2011, 08:10:01 AM

My only significant beef with them is that they need to show much clearer who is a tank and who is a healer. I'm sorry but this is the age of LFD whether you like it or not, and we are not all doing every rift with our buddies. It need to make a giant shield above the person with current aggro, or something, saying HEAL ME DUMMY!!! Having a tank spec's name in oragne is not really enough.

Tanks are dark orange names.
Rasix

I am the harbinger of your doom!

Reply #3008 on: March 11, 2011, 08:14:53 AM

Facepalm

-Rasix
Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #3009 on: March 11, 2011, 08:23:06 AM

F13 isn't angry or bitter.  It's jaded, skeptical, and mean.  There's a difference.

The jaded and skeptical part is fine.  The aggressive attitudes around here should go away in my opinion.  The people here are far too intelligent to feel the need to resort to name calling and belittling.

-  Mark Twain
Pages: 1 ... 84 85 [86] 87 88 ... 97 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  MMOG Discussion  |  Topic: Rift: Planes of Telara  
Jump to: