Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 19, 2024, 10:43:08 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  MMOG Discussion  |  Topic: Rift: Planes of Telara 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 59 60 [61] 62 63 ... 97 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Rift: Planes of Telara  (Read 804053 times)
Modern Angel
Terracotta Army

Reply #2100 on: February 04, 2011, 07:45:10 AM

Newsflash: Every single thing you enjoy is made of math. Games, all of them, are made of math. Computers are made of math. Cookies are made of math. Going the ICP route of ignoring it because you just want to explore the wonder of pixel universes/giraffes doesn't change the underlying facts. Dikus are math.

And really, it's completely fine if that ruins your immersion. But if you refuse to take part in solving the equation that's not the fault of the people who insist you do or play something else. That's your fault for trying to cram your playstyle into a group/game that's not for you. They're not "elitist assholes"; they just don't want to put in 30 hours a week into something that takes 10 because people can't be bothered to risk breaking their immersion.

X damage in Y time isn't a design flaw. That's literally 99% of games, any genre, ever.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2011, 07:47:05 AM by Modern Angel »
Threash
Terracotta Army

Reply #2101 on: February 04, 2011, 07:50:54 AM

Anyone know if the racials have been changed for this beta weekend?

I am the .00000001428%
Modern Angel
Terracotta Army

Reply #2102 on: February 04, 2011, 07:52:10 AM

Yes. In the patch notes. I'll let you read them. :D

Nerfed into the ground!
Arrrgh
Terracotta Army

Reply #2103 on: February 04, 2011, 07:57:48 AM

I discovered that I'm now too lazy to heal without healing add ons like Vuhdo. Joined a BG with my justicar/sentinal/something, noticed I'd have to individually target anyone I wanted to heal and then click a spell, said fuck it and become one of those people with heals who only heal themselves that everyone loves.

Decided to try an instance so I put enough points into justicar to get the tank aura (huge agro and more HPs), zone into the first fairy instance, another cleric joins, looks at me and says you're not a tank and then leaves. Stereotypes die hard.

But she was right for reasons other than her complaint that clerics can't tank. Justicars at that level have no taunt. Do they ever get taunt? Why do they call classes that can't taunt tanks? They also have weak AE agro and the trash packs at the start of that instance were 3 packs.

I generally play the side that had dwarves but since Rift dwarves are an abomination I'm going to play the other side just to put them out of their misery. Later when they're puzzled about the lack of players on the guardian side they will of course never admit the possibility that one of their races being a graphical joke has anything to do with it.

I've been playing the large purple race. I have no idea why they're large and purple. I'm sure there's some back story explanation somewhere but it wasn't noticeable enough to get me to read it so I still have no idea why my defiant characters look that way.
Segoris
Terracotta Army

Reply #2104 on: February 04, 2011, 07:58:21 AM

Racials were nerfed to be complete shit now. Basically, it's a +10 to a single stat to a race, and some of the races get some fluff animation/travel ability. I don't disagree that the racials needed some adjusting, but this is pretty awful.
Shatter
Terracotta Army

Reply #2105 on: February 04, 2011, 08:00:10 AM

Yeah they bitch slapped racials for B6.  They needed rework but they are essentially not worth mentioning anymore to the point they might as well of just removed them altogether
Modern Angel
Terracotta Army

Reply #2106 on: February 04, 2011, 08:02:51 AM

Dwarves are always awesome. Always.
Hawkbit
Terracotta Army

Like a Klansman in the ghetto.

Reply #2107 on: February 04, 2011, 08:06:03 AM

Unless they require addons to play.
Segoris
Terracotta Army

Reply #2108 on: February 04, 2011, 08:09:14 AM

Decided to try an instance so I put enough points into justicar to get the tank aura (huge agro and more HPs), zone into the first fairy instance, another cleric joins, looks at me and says you're not a tank and then leaves. Stereotypes die hard.

But she was right for reasons other than her complaint that clerics can't tank. Justicars at that level have no taunt. Do they ever get taunt? Why do they call classes that can't taunt tanks? They also have weak AE agro and the trash packs at the start of that instance were 3 packs.

Justicars get an actual taunt ability, it's called bolt of radiance (while Mien of Leadership is active). That is in addition to having a lot of aggro generation. About why call a tank when a soul can't taunt? Honestly, since b2 or b3 I can't remember the last time I used a taunt ability as my natural threat generation has been high enough to not even need it (lots of dungeon runs in both Defiant and Guardian zones, including some pugs).

Also, I strongly agree about the dwarves. They are, by far, the worst implementation of dwarves I've seen. At this point though, with the way names are displayed, there's no reason to be anything except a dwarf or kelari with a 2 letter name for pvp servers. Stats/racials are no longer important, the races have no individuality anymore, so just go with what with be the toughest to see by environment, though having to stare at a dwarf avatar would be a pain in the ass.
Typhon
Terracotta Army

Reply #2109 on: February 04, 2011, 08:43:57 AM

Unless they require addons to play.

Like stilts?
Paelos
Contributor

Error 404: Title not found.

Reply #2110 on: February 04, 2011, 08:47:43 AM

Having to do X DPS in Y time is a design flaw, not a need for DPS meters.   

I've agreed with that forever and have railed against boss enrages since they were put into the game. Now it's just the norm in WoW which explains why I'm raiding less.

CPA, CFO, Sports Fan, Game when I have the time
AcidCat
Terracotta Army

Reply #2111 on: February 04, 2011, 09:44:09 AM

But if you refuse to take part in solving the equation that's not the fault of the people who insist you do or play something else. That's your fault for trying to cram your playstyle into a group/game that's not for you.

Well, like I said, my solution is to just not raid, period. I don't want to be a liability to people more serious about the game than me. Thankfully these games generally have enough content to support my playstyle in addition to those who seek efficiency and mastery of game systems.

I particularly like the drop in/drop out public groups of Rift, no obligation, no worries.
Rendakor
Terracotta Army

Reply #2112 on: February 04, 2011, 09:46:02 AM

Having to do X DPS in Y time is a design flaw, not a need for DPS meters.    

I've agreed with that forever and have railed against boss enrages since they were put into the game. Now it's just the norm in WoW which explains why I'm raiding less.
Y doesn't have to be an enrage timer, it could be "before the healers run out of mana" or "before too many dps stand in fire and die". Enrage timers are only useful when all other mechanics of a fight are easily negated. Having a fight or two that's basically a DPS race has always been a good way to test class balance (Patchwerk comes to mind).

"i can't be a star citizen. they won't even give me a star green card"
Paelos
Contributor

Error 404: Title not found.

Reply #2113 on: February 04, 2011, 10:20:21 AM

Having a fight or two that's basically a DPS race has always been a good way to test class balance (Patchwerk comes to mind).

Agreed, and there are other factors in play usually beyond the simple hard enrage I was talking about. It's a math problem to be sure.

CPA, CFO, Sports Fan, Game when I have the time
Threash
Terracotta Army

Reply #2114 on: February 04, 2011, 10:34:50 AM

I much prefer races this way.  Now you can play what you want without gimping yourself.

I am the .00000001428%
Shatter
Terracotta Army

Reply #2115 on: February 04, 2011, 10:39:45 AM

I think even with the racial changes Ill still play Defiant...cooler mounts :P
Draegan
Terracotta Army

Reply #2116 on: February 04, 2011, 11:44:24 AM

The Mathosian racial is the worst racial ever known to gaming.

You can't use it in combat, it puts you to sleep, doesn't do anything, and it kills you.

So it's essentially a special emote you can use out of combat and it also kills you.

lol.
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #2117 on: February 04, 2011, 12:08:27 PM

Yeah, I lolled at that one. Totally not making it to release.
Modern Angel
Terracotta Army

Reply #2118 on: February 04, 2011, 12:17:23 PM

See, when I first saw it I didn't see the no in combat part. I thought, "That shit is GREAT!" Then someone pointed out the no in combat clause and duurrrrrrrr
Ard
Terracotta Army

Reply #2119 on: February 04, 2011, 12:24:23 PM

Yeah, I lolled at that one. Totally not making it to release.

It not only didn't make it into release, it didn't make it into beta 6.  Go read the non-leaked actual beta 6 patch notes.  It went from one of the worst to probably one of the best.

Edit: here, since it's public anyhow, and people tend to be lazy.  I do however expect both the mathosian and ethian ones to get hit with the nerf stick once they figure out the ramifications of racial based runspeed mods in pvp warfronts.

RACIAL ABILITIES
* Updated all Racial Abilities.

HIGH ELVES
* Removed Wisdom of the Ages.
* Tavril's Grace now increases Wisdom by 10.
* Added: Angelic Flight: Flies toward the selected area. Cannot be used in combat.

DWARVES
* Removed Second Wind.
* Bahralt's Mettle now increases Strength by 10.
* Added: Density: Dwarves can fall twice the distance of other races safely.

MATHOSIANS
* Removed Heroic Resolve,
* Thedeor's Will now increases Dexterity by 10.
* Added: Motivational Roar - Increases the movement speed of the Mathosian and nearby group members by 30% for 10 seconds. This ability cannot be used in combat.

ETHIAN
* Removed Eth-Made Shield Generator.
* Sun's Fortune now increases Intelligence by 10.
* Added: Agility: Increases movement speed by 70% for 15 seconds. This ability cannot be used in combat.

KELARI
* Removed Kelari Frenzy.
* Flame's Ferocity now increases Dexterity by 10.
* Added Camouflage: The Kelari transforms into a ghostly fox for up to 30 seconds, giving them a wider radius to avoid aggro with, and despawning any pets the Kelari may have. This ability cannot be used in combat.

BAHMI
* Removed Sefir of Power.
* Removed Sefir of Constitution.
* Added: Sefir of Strength: Increases Strength by 10.
* Added: Mighty Leap: Leaps at the selected area. Cannot be used in combat.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2011, 12:29:38 PM by Ard »
ezrast
Terracotta Army

Reply #2120 on: February 04, 2011, 12:38:34 PM

Level X0-X7 players now get buffed in warfronts. The details aren't clear, but at least you won't get utterly roflstomped upon entering a new bracket now.
Modern Angel
Terracotta Army

Reply #2121 on: February 04, 2011, 12:38:57 PM

I missed that. That is awesome news.
Ard
Terracotta Army

Reply #2122 on: February 04, 2011, 12:41:08 PM

Holy crap, I missed that also, and I was looking for it.

edit:  yup, there it is, awesome.

* Added Ascended Courage to Warfronts. Increases the effectiveness of characters for the first seven levels of each Warfront bracket. We'll be evaluating this in Beta 6 for further balancing.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2011, 12:42:39 PM by Ard »
Draegan
Terracotta Army

Reply #2123 on: February 04, 2011, 12:53:02 PM

That's HUGE.  Since doing a warfront if you weren't near max was pointless.
Threash
Terracotta Army

Reply #2124 on: February 04, 2011, 01:58:20 PM

I was getting the ascended courage buff at level 18.

I am the .00000001428%
ezrast
Terracotta Army

Reply #2125 on: February 04, 2011, 02:22:39 PM

=== KNOWN ISSUES ===
* Extra icons for the Ascended Courage buff are being applied to players in Warfronts, including those not under the actual effects of the buff. THESE EXTRA ICONS HAVE NO GAMEPLAY EFFECT!
veredus
Terracotta Army

Reply #2126 on: February 04, 2011, 05:11:06 PM

The new Kelari racial is actually awesome. That description doesn't match it in game, in game npcs ignore you. It's great for getting through high agro areas.
Threash
Terracotta Army

Reply #2127 on: February 04, 2011, 05:38:48 PM

The elf wings are pretty cool too.

I am the .00000001428%
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #2128 on: February 05, 2011, 06:37:21 AM

Man, those Rifts are addicting. I discovered I'd gained two levels running them in the 8-10 bracket and went on to finish out another 2 just chasing them down.  For some reason they're more fun than the PQs in WAR were and I can't quite figure out why.

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
kildorn
Terracotta Army

Reply #2129 on: February 05, 2011, 07:24:22 AM

The pvp bracket buff needs one other minor change: the spells are level based (get X rank at Y level), which aren't buffed by the changes. So you may in essence be level 18 for damage calculations, you're doing about 70% the damage/healing of a real level 18. I noticed a HUGE difference in my pvp capability when I went from 17 to 18, because 4 of my 6 primary spells had a rank up there.
Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #2130 on: February 05, 2011, 01:04:14 PM

What server is everyone on?

Today's How-To: Scrambling a Thread to the Point of Incoherence in Only One Post with MrBloodworth . - schild
www.mrbloodworthproductions.com  www.amuletsbymerlin.com
ezrast
Terracotta Army

Reply #2131 on: February 05, 2011, 01:35:22 PM

Mostly Rocklift Guardian, but I've also been playing Reclaimer Guardian just for open world ganking.

Since Saboteur charges don't deal damage, they don't break CC. My assassin/sab can kite a melee mob through about 4 fully primed detonations before it has a chance to catch up. I'm hoping for hilarious results when I level high enough to try it on players in the pvp zones. In the meantime I'm leveling as a bard, which is amazing for healing in WFs.
Threash
Terracotta Army

Reply #2132 on: February 05, 2011, 03:49:39 PM

Saboteur is so much fun in pvp.  I was topping the charts in damage and killing blows at level 11.

I am the .00000001428%
Hawkbit
Terracotta Army

Like a Klansman in the ghetto.

Reply #2133 on: February 05, 2011, 04:23:58 PM

I rolled a Warden/Sentinel/Purifier for this beta.  I still plan to play my Paladin at launch, but I hit a point where nobody seems to want to heal in a rift.  So instead of beating my head against a wall, I decided to try healing.  Considering I've never played a dedicated heal class in any MMO before, I'm actually liking it so far.  It is pretty amazing how much better a public group of 20 does when they have someone healing them. 

I'm definitely going to switch it up though and go for an offensive role to flip into when soloing.  Pure healers aren't terrible to solo, just a tad boring. 
Modern Angel
Terracotta Army

Reply #2134 on: February 05, 2011, 04:24:38 PM

The parses we were running showed Saboteur not being awesome in group content but I think a lot of that is knowing when to detonate at less than five charges so there's no waste, which takes a lot more finesse than I was expecting. That said, Saboteur is just a fun class all around and I can't think of much else like it in the MMO world.
Pages: 1 ... 59 60 [61] 62 63 ... 97 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  MMOG Discussion  |  Topic: Rift: Planes of Telara  
Jump to: