Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 17, 2024, 01:53:41 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  MMOG Discussion  |  Topic: Rift: Planes of Telara 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 50 51 [52] 53 54 ... 97 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Rift: Planes of Telara  (Read 802899 times)
Ghambit
Terracotta Army

Reply #1785 on: January 23, 2011, 08:03:33 AM

"See, the beauty of webgames is that I can play them on my phone while I'm plowing your mom."  -Samwise
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

a polyamorous pansexual genderqueer born and living in the wrong country

Reply #1786 on: January 23, 2011, 08:24:57 AM

Seems like the game will ship with only 10 dungeons. I am a bit worried. Do you think they are enough?

jakonovski
Terracotta Army

Reply #1787 on: January 23, 2011, 09:23:22 AM

Seems like the game will ship with only 10 dungeons. I am a bit worried. Do you think they are enough?

Depends on the dungeon I suppose. Are they giant labyrinthine places of spiky death or just a hole with a dude in it?
Hawkbit
Terracotta Army

Like a Klansman in the ghetto.

Reply #1788 on: January 23, 2011, 10:15:19 AM

Seems about on par with WoW's launch, really.  I'm not too concerned, because there's more to do outside of dungeons in RIFT.  I get the impression (and I could be wrong) that one won't need to even go into a dungeon to get decent gear. 
Malakili
Terracotta Army

Reply #1789 on: January 23, 2011, 10:36:39 AM

Depends on how many of them are available in end game.  While a good quality dungeon early on or so might keep people interested and make them feel cool, the vast majority of leveling isn't going to be done there most of the time.  Make that development time work for keeping your players around when they are done leveling.  What did WoW have at launch in terms of level 60 dungeons (non raid) - Blackrock Depths, Scholomance, Stratholme (effectively 2 dungoens), Blackrock Spire (part 5man part small raid).

Am I missing any launch level 60 non raids?
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

Reply #1790 on: January 23, 2011, 10:59:36 AM

Seems about on par with WoW's launch, really.  I'm not too concerned, because there's more to do outside of dungeons in RIFT.  I get the impression (and I could be wrong) that one won't need to even go into a dungeon to get decent gear. 

I dislike being forced into dungeons, but I am not happy if I run out of them. Dunegons as the only way to get good gear are not my thing, I like dungeons for dungeons' sake. And being on par with 7 years old WoW still doesn't reassure me. We'll see. Digging this simple cute game a lot so far.

Xilren's Twin

Reply #1791 on: January 23, 2011, 12:50:29 PM

If anyone still needs a key, i have a 25 use one as well.  Just PM me.

"..but I'm by no means normal." - Schild
Modern Angel
Terracotta Army

Reply #1792 on: January 23, 2011, 04:05:28 PM

My understanding is 10 *endgame* dungeons, not 10 dungeons. I may have misread that. I may also be getting both NDA information and stuff from friends mixed up. But I do think it was 10 endgame. Then you have raid dungeons, raid rifts, normal rifts... just offhand, without doing the actual math, this is probably a little more than Vanilla WoW.
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

Reply #1793 on: January 23, 2011, 05:17:34 PM

That would mean no dungeons until level 50? I am basing my numbers on the Achievement panel in game. It lists 10 dungeons you can get achievements for, and then, separated, 2 raids.

Malakili
Terracotta Army

Reply #1794 on: January 23, 2011, 05:24:36 PM

That would mean no dungeons until level 50? I am basing my numbers on the Achievement panel in game. It lists 10 dungeons you can get achievements for, and then, separated, 2 raids.

There is a least 1 dungeon around level 14-15 for each faction, based on what I saw in the no-NDA'd beta.
Draegan
Terracotta Army

Reply #1795 on: January 23, 2011, 05:46:49 PM

You guys aren't doing your homework.

I wrote an article based on this on Rift Junkies but here's the break down!

There are 10 normal dungeons throughout the leveling process.  It is not known have many max level normal dungeons there are.

There are 10 expert mode dungeons (heroic or hardmode) that are broken into two tiers.  So once you are geared for the first tier you have 5 dungeons to rotate through.  There is a second tier with the other 5 dungeons as well.

Unlike WOW, each expert dungeon is an extended version.  Larger layout, more bosses.  Each expert dungeon's expansion extends the original normal dungeon's story line.  The example given in a podcast is one dungeon where you see a bunch of miners in normal mode, then in expert there is a new tunnel to explore.

This does not mention raids (I think they mentioned 2) or all the other rift events they have planned for max level.

As far as not testing max level in beta, they have mentioned, as others, there is an alpha test going on as well.
Ghambit
Terracotta Army

Reply #1796 on: January 24, 2011, 09:21:37 AM

Head scratch
Link the article please.

"See, the beauty of webgames is that I can play them on my phone while I'm plowing your mom."  -Samwise
Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #1797 on: January 24, 2011, 10:13:38 AM

I think I'm going to give this game a try as soon as I get bored with DCUO.  It looks like just enough of a departure from WoW to be worth a month.  If the love lasts beyond that, it's a bonus.

"Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other."

-  Mark Twain
Modern Angel
Terracotta Army

Reply #1798 on: January 24, 2011, 10:15:14 AM

If that's the case I'm completely wrong about the 10 endgame dungeons and that would put it at 10 in the game.

Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #1799 on: January 24, 2011, 11:15:51 AM

I think I'm going to give this game a try as soon as I get bored with DCUO.  It looks like just enough of a departure from WoW to be worth a month.  If the love lasts beyond that, it's a bonus.
You're such a whore.

Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?
Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #1800 on: January 24, 2011, 11:37:01 AM

He really is, I think I have played 500 games with him over the years. Hes such a tease. Just when your like "Hay Nebu joined the guild/group/regime", hes off to the next lady.  game. Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

Today's How-To: Scrambling a Thread to the Point of Incoherence in Only One Post with MrBloodworth . - schild
www.mrbloodworthproductions.com  www.amuletsbymerlin.com
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

Reply #1801 on: January 24, 2011, 11:56:54 AM

Ok, this has to be repeated. The multi-class system in this game is such an incredible winner. It is just awesome, kind of worth the ticket price. You REALLY got 32 classes (which is amazing to begin with) to play with, and you can mix and match them to countless combinations, and change them on the fly completely changing your playstyle whenever you are bored with one, or you require a different approach (or role in a dungeon or PvP). Completely. What is not absolutely super awesome in that? Not to mention when you level up. You basically don't allocate (talent) points in one class, you do it once for each "role" you decided to set up (up to 4). This totally feels like leveling up 4 chars instead of 1 every time you ding.

I am starting to think this game, while horribly DIKU and all, is way much better than the hype says.

Oh, and PvP (extra) souls?  awesome, for real

Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #1802 on: January 24, 2011, 12:07:35 PM

He really is, I think I have played 500 games with him over the years. Hes such a tease. Just when your like "Hay Nebu joined the guild/group/regime", hes off to the next lady.  game. Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

LotRO would have kept me if we would have had a regular group running dungeons.  You just need to quit your life and game with Cheddar and I every night. 

I'm very loyal to games if I have a regular group.  If I'm solo 99% of the time, I'm pretty flighty. 

"Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other."

-  Mark Twain
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #1803 on: January 24, 2011, 12:18:54 PM

So you'll be playing Blood Bowl, then?  DRILLING AND MANLINESS
Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #1804 on: January 24, 2011, 12:20:49 PM

If it doesn't require reaction time, I'd give it a shot.  I suck at FPS style games.  Just ask Schild.  He used to laugh at my pathetic skills. 

-  Mark Twain
Hawkbit
Terracotta Army

Like a Klansman in the ghetto.

Reply #1805 on: January 24, 2011, 12:27:18 PM

Ok, this has to be repeated. The multi-class system in this game is such an incredible winner. It is just awesome, kind of worth the ticket price. You REALLY got 32 classes (which is amazing to begin with) to play with, and you can mix and match them to countless combinations, and change them on the fly completely changing your playstyle whenever you are bored with one, or you require a different approach (or role in a dungeon or PvP). Completely. What is not absolutely super awesome in that? Not to mention when you level up. You basically don't allocate (talent) points in one class, you do it once for each "role" you decided to set up (up to 4). This totally feels like leveling up 4 chars instead of 1 every time you ding.

I am starting to think this game, while horribly DIKU and all, is way much better than the hype says.

I can't agree more, though the only thing that would make it better is if one could change their archetype in a city, like FFxi.  That would be pure win, provided they gave us enough inventory for all the gear. 
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

Reply #1806 on: January 24, 2011, 12:32:50 PM

Actually, I always wondered how come Nebu doesn't play Blood Bowl with us yet. It's not like I know him, but I have this feeling it fits him perfectly.

Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Auto Assault Affectionado

Reply #1807 on: January 24, 2011, 12:33:38 PM

If it doesn't require reaction time, I'd give it a shot.  I suck at FPS style games.  Just ask Schild.  He used to laugh at my pathetic skills. 

Turn-based.

The Transcendent One: AH... THE ROGUE CONSTRUCT.
Nordom: Sense of closure: imminent.
Shatter
Terracotta Army

Reply #1808 on: January 24, 2011, 12:36:42 PM

I can't agree more, though the only thing that would make it better is if one could change their archetype in a city, like FFxi.  That would be pure win, provided they gave us enough inventory for all the gear. 

You have no idea how much time I have spent on talent calculators lol
Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #1809 on: January 24, 2011, 01:00:15 PM

Actually, I always wondered how come Nebu doesn't play Blood Bowl with us yet. It's not like I know him, but I have this feeling it fits him perfectly.

If it's anything like Football Manager (formerly Championship Manager), I'd love it. 

Maybe I should look into it.  Do you guys need teams?  You filled up pretty fast.

-  Mark Twain
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

Reply #1810 on: January 24, 2011, 01:02:08 PM

We'll need teams for Season #4, which is realistically due in 6 weeks or so. Check the (graveyard) forum, you'll have a blast.

/hijack

Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #1811 on: January 24, 2011, 01:05:43 PM

So you'll be playing Blood Bowl, then?  DRILLING AND MANLINESS

If it doesn't require reaction time, I'd give it a shot.  I suck at FPS style games.  Just ask Schild.  He used to laugh at my pathetic skills.  
Turns are two minutes long. I kind of wish they were 2:30, but I'm adjusting. Get in for Season 4, we're not even halfway through Season 3 so plenty of time!

edit: slow on the post  awesome, for real
Ratama
Terracotta Army

Reply #1812 on: January 24, 2011, 01:33:49 PM

You REALLY [get] 32 classes
No, you don't.

There are 4 classes, with 3 spec lines you get to choose out of 8 possibilities for each class.  

And with each new beta phase, less and less options remain viable (more and more talents keep changing from generic % bonuses, to proprietary bonuses to that tree's abilities only, for instance).  Still better customization than, say, WoW, but each patch keeps bringing it down closer and closer to WoW's level.

I honestly wouldn't recommend this to anyone based on vastly superior character customization anymore.

Spare the rod, spoil the dev.
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #1813 on: January 24, 2011, 01:35:08 PM

Sometimes you really, really shouldn't listen to betatards.
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

Reply #1814 on: January 24, 2011, 01:45:26 PM

No, you don't.

There are 4 classes, with 3 spec lines you get to choose out of 8 possibilities for each class.  

And with each new beta phase, less and less options remain viable (more and more talents keep changing from generic % bonuses, to proprietary bonuses to that tree's abilities only, for instance).  Still better customization than, say, WoW, but each patch keeps bringing it down closer and closer to WoW's level.

I honestly wouldn't recommend this to anyone based on vastly superior character customization anymore.

I disagree with what you said.

Sheepherder
Terracotta Army

Reply #1815 on: January 24, 2011, 02:38:22 PM

You basically don't allocate (talent) points in one class, you do it once for each "role" you decided to set up (up to 4). This totally feels like leveling up 4 chars instead of 1 every time you ding.

Note: WoW does this already.  It has for quite a while.
Murgos
Terracotta Army

Reply #1816 on: January 24, 2011, 02:40:56 PM

No, you don't.

That's not really true.  You can change the 3 spec lines pretty much at will and have multiple configurations and point allocations ready to go at any time.

But, I agree it's only really 4 classes.  But, false variety is pretty much true for most of today's MMO's.

"You have all recieved youre last warning. I am in the process of currently tracking all of youre ips and pinging your home adressess. you should not have commencemed a war with me" - Aaron Rayburn
Draegan
Terracotta Army

Reply #1817 on: January 24, 2011, 03:11:48 PM

No, you don't.

Quite wrong there.
ezrast
Terracotta Army

Reply #1818 on: January 24, 2011, 03:43:36 PM

Apparently the patcher doesn't save your progress if you quit in the middle of a 7GB download. Cool.
Threash
Terracotta Army

Reply #1819 on: January 24, 2011, 04:07:33 PM

You basically don't allocate (talent) points in one class, you do it once for each "role" you decided to set up (up to 4). This totally feels like leveling up 4 chars instead of 1 every time you ding.

Note: WoW does this already.  It has for quite a while.

Cept with two different specs and talent point choice is basically meaningless, you pick a spec not where to put your points pretty much.

I am the .00000001428%
Pages: 1 ... 50 51 [52] 53 54 ... 97 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  MMOG Discussion  |  Topic: Rift: Planes of Telara  
Jump to: