Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 18, 2024, 06:39:21 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  MMOG Discussion  |  Topic: Rift: Planes of Telara 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20 ... 97 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Rift: Planes of Telara  (Read 803756 times)
Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #595 on: October 20, 2010, 10:26:52 AM

No, I just want them to wear reasonable armor.  One can still look feminine in full armor.

Hahahaha!  I'm really good at this!
Bzalthek
Terracotta Army

"Use the Soy Sauce, Luke!" WHOM, ZASH, CLISH CLASH! "Umeboshi Kenobi!! NOOO!!!"

Reply #596 on: October 20, 2010, 10:31:16 AM

This begs for a comic strip where two hulking knights in full plate (read: steel barrel) are checking out an identical set of full plate walking past: "nice ass!"

"Pity hurricanes aren't actually caused by gays; I would take a shot in the mouth right now if it meant wiping out these chucklefucks." ~WayAbvPar
Chimpy
Terracotta Army

Reply #597 on: October 20, 2010, 10:47:36 AM

The pictures look pretty nice.

'Reality' is the only word in the language that should always be used in quotes.
Draegan
Terracotta Army

Reply #598 on: October 20, 2010, 12:13:04 PM

For more pretty, here's a compilation of all of the official screenshots.

http://telarapedia.com/wiki/Category:Official_Screenshots
Pennilenko
Terracotta Army

Reply #599 on: October 20, 2010, 08:00:34 PM

No, I just want them to wear reasonable armor.  One can still look feminine in full armor.

Everybody knows that the best armor is basically a thong and bra with a few bits of metal sewn on.

"See?  All of you are unique.  And special.  Like fucking snowflakes."  -- Signe
Bzalthek
Terracotta Army

"Use the Soy Sauce, Luke!" WHOM, ZASH, CLISH CLASH! "Umeboshi Kenobi!! NOOO!!!"

Reply #600 on: October 20, 2010, 08:26:40 PM

Precisely.  If anything, in a land where everyone seems to have magically enchanted blades and other arcane tools, excessive armor is just a hindrance!

"Pity hurricanes aren't actually caused by gays; I would take a shot in the mouth right now if it meant wiping out these chucklefucks." ~WayAbvPar
Ghambit
Terracotta Army

Reply #601 on: October 20, 2010, 08:28:46 PM

No, I just want them to wear reasonable armor.  One can still look feminine in full armor.

Everybody knows that the best armor is basically a thong and bra with a few bits of metal sewn on.

Exactly.  'Cause who'd want to damage a half-naked fantasy vixen?  That's how that armor works...  purely psychological, and therefore built into the damage models.  e.g. The better your armor, the skimpier it is.  
« Last Edit: October 20, 2010, 10:52:34 PM by Ghambit »

"See, the beauty of webgames is that I can play them on my phone while I'm plowing your mom."  -Samwise
Pennilenko
Terracotta Army

Reply #602 on: October 20, 2010, 09:59:04 PM

If I was just some dumb peon and I saw this chick carrying a gigantic fucking sword wearing almost nothing, around an army of fully armored soldiers, guess who I would mess with last.

"See?  All of you are unique.  And special.  Like fucking snowflakes."  -- Signe
Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #603 on: October 21, 2010, 07:21:51 AM

Rift: Planes of Telara - Dynamic Dimensions Trailer

EDIT: Shows off some of the "rifts" and how it changes the things int he area. No audio, no write up.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2010, 08:15:25 AM by Mrbloodworth »

Today's How-To: Scrambling a Thread to the Point of Incoherence in Only One Post with MrBloodworth . - schild
www.mrbloodworthproductions.com  www.amuletsbymerlin.com
rattran

Unreasonable

Reply #604 on: October 21, 2010, 08:06:25 AM

Any further posts with just a link and no summary, discussion, explanation, or commentary will be deleted. Put a little bit of effort into it (this goes for everyone, not just MrB).

Hey, look what got posted elsewhere! Not everyone can watch video at work.
Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #605 on: October 21, 2010, 08:17:11 AM

Figured the title would work. but OK. Fixed.

Today's How-To: Scrambling a Thread to the Point of Incoherence in Only One Post with MrBloodworth . - schild
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #606 on: October 22, 2010, 08:49:55 AM

I was just talking about the normal mapping in EQ2, loved it so much...

We use a per pixel shader technique called normal mapping where we take the lighting information from a very high polygon model and apply it to a lower polygon model in game. So the way that light bounces off the model makes it appear much higher polygon in game than it really is. Few mmos out there are fully normal mapped so we are truly next gen in that regard.

http://forums.riftgame.com/showthread.php?4570-Q-amp-A-with-Art-Director-Darren-Pattenden
Chimpy
Terracotta Army

Reply #607 on: October 22, 2010, 10:14:57 AM

For some reason, the "higher polygon" part made me think of the conversation on the last page about boobage in the game.

And I chuckled.

My friends were saying they announced the last mage soul yesterday, but I could not find information about it (and delving through the official forums lasted about 2 minutes before I ran away in fear).

'Reality' is the only word in the language that should always be used in quotes.
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #608 on: October 22, 2010, 11:10:12 AM

Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #609 on: October 26, 2010, 07:30:10 AM

I was just talking about the normal mapping in EQ2, loved it so much...

We use a per pixel shader technique called normal mapping where we take the lighting information from a very high polygon model and apply it to a lower polygon model in game. So the way that light bounces off the model makes it appear much higher polygon in game than it really is. Few mmos out there are fully normal mapped so we are truly next gen in that regard.

Hopefully they are using higher resolution normal maps than Eq2. But, im always leery of any multiplayer game using all out normal maps. Performance is always an issue.

Soukyan
Terracotta Army

Reply #610 on: October 26, 2010, 08:04:40 AM

Justicar = DoK / Warrior Priest then? 

It appears that way. I believe the lead for the team who is developing the soul trees was a developer for WAR, so I expect to see some class similarities and some skill similarities with that game. Which is cool with me because I love WAR. Rift looks even better to me, though, so I'm excited. Haven't been this interesting in an upcoming MMOG in a long time.

"Life is no cabaret... we're inviting you anyway." ~Amanda Palmer
"Tree, awesome, numa numa, love triangle, internal combustion engine, mountain, walk, whiskey, peace, pascagoula" ~Lantyssa
"Les vrais paradis sont les paradis qu'on a perdus." ~Marcel Proust
Hartsman
Developers

Trion

Reply #611 on: October 26, 2010, 10:26:47 PM

It appears that way. I believe the lead for the team who is developing the soul trees was a developer for WAR, so I expect to see some class similarities and some skill similarities with that game. Which is cool with me because I love WAR. Rift looks even better to me, though, so I'm excited. Haven't been this interesting in an upcoming MMOG in a long time.

It's been interesting - The devs working on the souls have past experience from working on: EQ, EQ2, DAoC, WAR, WoW, and even Fury. 

So far there hasn't been a "THIS GAME DID EVERYTHING BEST!" kind of mindset with the classes, which has been fantastic.

The debates on the design floor do, however, get pretty epic.

Shatter
Terracotta Army

Reply #612 on: October 27, 2010, 05:08:22 AM

It's been interesting - The devs working on the souls have past experience from working on: EQ, EQ2, DAoC, WAR, WoW, and even Fury.  

So far there hasn't been a "THIS GAME DID EVERYTHING BEST!" kind of mindset with the classes, which has been fantastic.

For the love of god dont let the WOW guy lead the discussion
AutomaticZen
Terracotta Army

Reply #613 on: October 27, 2010, 07:01:30 AM

UnSub
Contributor

Reply #614 on: October 27, 2010, 07:18:30 PM

Trion vs Palladium ends, leaving a Rift between them.

Probably would have been hard for Palladium to stand that they were the only ones who could use the term 'Rift' and all variants in the nerd space.

Stabs
Terracotta Army

Reply #615 on: October 27, 2010, 11:46:02 PM

Not least because Feist's Riftwar saga began 8 years before Rifts was published.
SurfD
Terracotta Army

Reply #616 on: October 28, 2010, 01:04:36 AM

Trion vs Palladium ends, leaving a Rift between them.

Probably would have been hard for Palladium to stand that they were the only ones who could use the term 'Rift' and all variants in the nerd space.
I have always felt a bit sad for the Palladium games guys.   The Rifts Universe as an IP is probably one of the coolest, most richly developed RPG worlds i have ever seen, it's just too bad that the ruleset it is attached to usually causes frothing rage after trying to understand it for more then 30 seconds.

Darwinism is the Gateway Science.
Count Nerfedalot
Terracotta Army

Reply #617 on: October 28, 2010, 05:29:04 PM

I have always felt a bit sad for the Palladium games guys.   The Rifts Universe as an IP is probably one of the coolest, most richly developed RPG worlds i have ever seen, it's just too bad that the ruleset it is attached to usually causes frothing rage after trying to understand it for more then 30 seconds.

Wouldn't that imply that they brought it on themselves?  If they are good at making up IP but suck at making games maybe they should be publishing fiction instead of games?  Not sure where the sympathy for them comes from, unless its akin to the sadness you might feel for the wasted life of a convict in prison who made too many wrong choices. 

Yes, I know I'm paranoid, but am I paranoid enough?
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Auto Assault Affectionado

Reply #618 on: October 28, 2010, 06:54:10 PM

The Palladium dude is pants on head crazy, don't feel sorry for him.

The Transcendent One: AH... THE ROGUE CONSTRUCT.
Nordom: Sense of closure: imminent.
Draegan
Terracotta Army

Reply #619 on: November 10, 2010, 12:24:24 PM

Trion tossed out another dungeon reveal; this one is the Abyssal Precipice. 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RdKQXlr-RPs
Chimpy
Terracotta Army

Reply #620 on: November 10, 2010, 12:52:53 PM

That really was an underwhelming little video there. Haven't heard much new about this game for a while and they show what looks like 4 people attacking 4 different creatures on top of a mountain? Where is the cool boss or crazy spell effect or something flashy?

Sigh.

Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #621 on: November 10, 2010, 01:49:23 PM

That really was an underwhelming little video there.

This.

If your video doesn't drop jaws, then you probably shouldn't release it.  Ok, unless you have to in order to maintain funding. 

"Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other."

-  Mark Twain
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

a polyamorous pansexual genderqueer born and living in the wrong country

Reply #622 on: November 10, 2010, 02:06:41 PM

That video critically hit my frothing interest for this game, draining away the little enthusiasm I had. I hope I am just seeing things, I really want to like Rifts, but the video REEKS of EverQuest 2 in an alarming way, and I wasn't anticipating that at all. I loved EQ2, but I am not really looking for anything that resembles it in the style/animation/combat departments.

SurfD
Terracotta Army

Reply #623 on: November 10, 2010, 02:23:22 PM

That really was an underwhelming little video there. Haven't heard much new about this game for a while and they show what looks like 4 people attacking 4 different creatures on top of a mountain? Where is the cool boss or crazy spell effect or something flashy?

Sigh.
What the hell was up with nearly everyone in that video swinging their weapons at empty air?   All i saw in that entire video was a lot of flailing weapons at empty space.   I mean, what is the point of your fancyass graphics engine, if you cant even use it for properly beating on monsters?  How big are the hitboxes on the mobs in this game?

Darwinism is the Gateway Science.
Chimpy
Terracotta Army

Reply #624 on: November 10, 2010, 02:26:19 PM

That video critically hit my frothing interest for this game, draining away the little enthusiasm I had. I hope I am just seeing things, I really want to like Rifts, but the video REEKS of EverQuest 2 in an alarming way, and I wasn't anticipating that at all. I loved EQ2, but I am not really looking for anything that resembles it in the style/animation/combat departments.

The game is named Rift, no plural.  tongue

And I don't think you can expect much of a stylistic change from the EQ2 "photorealism" way of look as a large portion of their development team appears to have come from the EQ and EQ2 teams.

There really are 3 realms of MMO art design to me:

Attempts at being as Photorealistic as possible while being a little gritty: EQ2, LotRO, Vanguard all seem to have been in that vein from what I have seen.
More stylistic and sometimes cartoony: WoW
Photorealistic world with ridiculously sterotypical female character models in stripper clothes: Anything made in Korea.

Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #625 on: November 10, 2010, 02:45:19 PM

No "Stylistic but not cartoony"? sad

Hahahaha!  I'm really good at this!
Hawkbit
Terracotta Army

Like a Klansman in the ghetto.

Reply #626 on: November 10, 2010, 03:25:23 PM

Needs a "Cracks starting to show?" thread. 

Actually, either that video was a full-blown mistake on the PR side, or else they're beginning to let us all down easily.  That was terribad and like a few others above, my interest waned a notch or two.  That video should have been entitled "Been there, Done that."
Pennilenko
Terracotta Army

Reply #627 on: November 10, 2010, 03:40:17 PM

That video showed me that shit was working and that I can expect a familiar feel. What type of fantasical magic mmo technology were the critical people expecting?

I mean do you all want some fantastic completely unrelated to game play cgi trailers and shit, or do you want to see what the game is really like?

Also I am not a fanboy, and am jaded like the rest of you, I just have no idea what you all are expecting.

Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #628 on: November 10, 2010, 04:01:58 PM

That video showed me that shit was working and that I can expect a familiar feel.

You should be plenty satisfied with the current MMO offerings then. 

"Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other."

-  Mark Twain
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Auto Assault Affectionado

Reply #629 on: November 10, 2010, 04:04:16 PM

The waving weapons at things from 20 feet away thing was pretty jarring. Like worse than SWTOR animations (which I am pretty neutral on overall) jarring. Hopefully it will look better when not in 3rd person marketing camera angle view.

The Transcendent One: AH... THE ROGUE CONSTRUCT.
Nordom: Sense of closure: imminent.
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20 ... 97 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  MMOG Discussion  |  Topic: Rift: Planes of Telara  
Jump to: