Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 19, 2024, 10:42:44 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  MMOG Discussion  |  Topic: Rift: Planes of Telara 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 97 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Rift: Planes of Telara  (Read 804369 times)
LC
Terracotta Army

Reply #420 on: September 13, 2010, 12:49:52 PM

Welcome to F13. We eat our own young.

I remember when the F13 welcoming committee rolled out the red carpet for me.
Bzalthek
Terracotta Army

"Use the Soy Sauce, Luke!" WHOM, ZASH, CLISH CLASH! "Umeboshi Kenobi!! NOOO!!!"

Reply #421 on: September 13, 2010, 01:06:27 PM

And you think your dog just ran away too, didn't you?

"Pity hurricanes aren't actually caused by gays; I would take a shot in the mouth right now if it meant wiping out these chucklefucks." ~WayAbvPar
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #422 on: September 13, 2010, 01:51:07 PM

Typhon
Terracotta Army

Reply #423 on: September 13, 2010, 04:39:48 PM

Guys, I am not sure where the venom toward me has come from. 

He's not joking, they really are hateful.

Me?  I'm just here to learn to toughen up - I'm too nice!
AutomaticZen
Terracotta Army

Reply #424 on: September 13, 2010, 06:29:13 PM

It's like FFA PVP in forum form.
Pennilenko
Terracotta Army

Reply #425 on: September 13, 2010, 06:37:23 PM

It's like FFA PVP in forum form.

To me it has felt like a shark tank filled with starving sharks.

"See?  All of you are unique.  And special.  Like fucking snowflakes."  -- Signe
Hawkbit
Terracotta Army

Like a Klansman in the ghetto.

Reply #426 on: September 13, 2010, 07:38:47 PM

Sadly, this PvP is better than pretty much any MMO PvP out...
Hoax
Terracotta Army

l33t kiddie

Reply #427 on: September 13, 2010, 08:49:32 PM

I think the biggest enemy Rift will have to fight is blandness, they are trying to do a few things that have sounded good on paper in the past and ended up being very bland and boring in execution. I'm mostly talking about their class system choices though I also worry about the dynamic content as well.

If the game is well crafted I think the formula they are pitching could be a winner. Then again what was the last well crafted MMO?

A nation consists of its laws. A nation does not consist of its situation at a given time. If an individual's morals are situational, then that individual is without morals. If a nation's laws are situational, that nation has no laws, and soon isn't a nation.
-William Gibson
Draegan
Terracotta Army

Reply #428 on: September 13, 2010, 08:58:23 PM

Well everyone that talks about the game in the media, people from PAX/GamesCom etc. say the game is extremely polished in alpha form.  Just ask AutomaticZen.  You can even listen to him talk about it in the latest podcast at Riftpodcast.com.
Spiff
Terracotta Army

Reply #429 on: September 13, 2010, 11:41:34 PM

To me the biggest enemy is simply GW2. However interesting a lot of what I see and read about Rifts sounds I know I won't invest in 2 MMO's like this at once.

They both talk about dynamic content (admittedly in slightly different ways, but neither looks a lot more promising than the other atm).
They both have an interesting and somewhat novel metagame going for skills&feats and such.
They both look gorgeous (slight edge to GW2 atm I'd say, but maybe that's just because I've seen more in depth footage of it).

It's like watching Tyson Gay sprint; he's almost inhumanly fast and would win any other day, but Usain Bolt is the guy people came to see.

Unless this launches months before GW2 and I just can't resist scratching my MMO itch any longer, I can't see me choosing this instead.
Chimpy
Terracotta Army

Reply #430 on: September 14, 2010, 05:53:02 AM

This has a bonus on GW2 that means a lot to some people: NCSoft has nothing to do with it.

'Reality' is the only word in the language that should always be used in quotes.
Cheddar
I like pink

Noob Sauce

Reply #431 on: September 14, 2010, 08:45:44 AM

This has a bonus on GW2 that means a lot to some people: NCSoft has nothing to do with it.

Come on now, NCSoft is one of the more benevolent devs out there...    why so serious?

No Nerf, but I put a link to this very thread and I said that you all can guarantee for my purity. I even mentioned your case, and see if they can take a look at your lawn from a Michigan perspective.
Jherad
Terracotta Army

I find Rachel Maddow seriously hot.

Reply #432 on: September 14, 2010, 09:01:46 AM

To me the biggest enemy is simply GW2.

I'm interested in both. Rift for my 'deep' addiction-fulfilling MMO world, and GW2 for lighter 'instant action' play. Of course there will be competition between the two, but they're very different concepts (at least, I believe they are...).

The early polish is a good sign - the two big things that first stood out for me in WoW beta were polish and attention to detail. It isn't the be-all-end-all, but I'm convinced that is a prerequisite to mass market appeal. Of course if it requires a supercomputer to run, that'll be undone.
Vinadil
Terracotta Army

Reply #433 on: September 14, 2010, 09:34:06 AM

Of course if it requires a supercomputer to run, that'll be undone.

That is my comment on "polish" as well.  It is one thing for this game to work beautifully on the developer's system in a controlled environment (for extremely short periods of time.  A demo could last for 3 hours with several people playing together and not amount to any meaningful time in MMO standards).

It is another for it to work just as well on millions of systems over hundreds of hours per month.  I can put up with new features that don't work exactly right if the game runs lag-free and crash-free.  I don't care if the ideas are brilliant if my computer sputters along (say like with EQ2 in the beginning) simply moving through town and the game crashes.

Not sure about the whole GW2 competition, I have not followed that game at all... but that is because I don't see it in the same vein as most other MMO's, so personally it does not compete with them at all.  It seems like more competition with FPS/RTS crowds to me, or at least those are the people in my guild who are most interested in it.
ghost
The Dentist

Reply #434 on: September 14, 2010, 09:38:47 AM

It only becomes red after it is thoroughly drenched in your own blood.
Draegan
Terracotta Army

Reply #435 on: September 14, 2010, 10:52:38 AM

I'm definitely interested in both GW2 and Rift.  It's a no brainer if you think you'll enjoy both games.  Guild Wars 2 won't have a subscription.
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #436 on: September 14, 2010, 12:38:33 PM

I can see TOR, GW2 and Rift each filling a particular niche, however, all of them releasing around the same time and having Blizz pound the jungle flat with their expansion, it's going to be a brutal year. Everyone better be on their A game.

As unbelievable as I find it....I think I'll be buying all three unless something goes horribly wrong. I like what I'm seeing from each one, for different reasons. Good thing there are no big home improvement projects planned for next year, I won't have any time.
Draegan
Terracotta Army

Reply #437 on: September 14, 2010, 12:58:21 PM

I'm not sure that Cataclysm is going to be a massive success as the previous expansions.  That doesn't mean it won't be a success, but I don't think it's going to be amazing and awesome.  There is more hype out there in the MMOGsphere for the new games than there is about Cataclysm.

We'll have to wait for Blizzcon to see if anything new is coming soon(tm).
AutomaticZen
Terracotta Army

Reply #438 on: September 14, 2010, 01:08:28 PM

To me the biggest enemy is simply GW2. However interesting a lot of what I see and read about Rifts sounds I know I won't invest in 2 MMO's like this at once.

They both talk about dynamic content (admittedly in slightly different ways, but neither looks a lot more promising than the other atm).
They both have an interesting and somewhat novel metagame going for skills&feats and such.
They both look gorgeous (slight edge to GW2 atm I'd say, but maybe that's just because I've seen more in depth footage of it).

It's like watching Tyson Gay sprint; he's almost inhumanly fast and would win any other day, but Usain Bolt is the guy people came to see.

Unless this launches months before GW2 and I just can't resist scratching my MMO itch any longer, I can't see me choosing this instead.
I'm just going to buy both as GW2 is subscription free and alternate as I see fit.  They scratch very different itches.
jayfyve
Terracotta Army

Reply #439 on: September 14, 2010, 04:24:20 PM

Scott Hartsman on Ten Ton Hammer Live Podcast:

http://www.tentonhammer.com/podcasts/live/19

edit: Fast Forward to 47 min mark, lasts for around 45min.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2010, 05:31:04 PM by jayfyve »
Threash
Terracotta Army

Reply #440 on: September 14, 2010, 08:19:39 PM

How about a summary instead :)

I am the .00000001428%
Draegan
Terracotta Army

Reply #441 on: September 14, 2010, 09:04:26 PM

It was a basic "Intro to Rift 101".  It was meant for people who never heard of the game before.  However this time Scott got to go into a little more detail with his explanations.
Grimwell
Developers

[Redacted]

Reply #442 on: September 14, 2010, 10:00:12 PM

I can't believe that recent posts in this thread have lacked any reference to Sparta. Well done chaps! Well done!

......what's this got to do with Shadowbane anyway?

o.0

Grimwell
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #443 on: September 15, 2010, 07:34:03 AM

That summary was rather spartan.
Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #444 on: September 15, 2010, 09:53:44 AM

Madness.

Hahahaha!  I'm really good at this!
jayfyve
Terracotta Army

Reply #445 on: September 15, 2010, 11:28:59 AM

How about a summary instead :)

I'm scared to write more than a sentence or two. My writing skills aren't very good.

It really was just an intro to rifts, covering everything I've heard before. Biggest thing that I got from the interview was that I don't like TTH live podcast guys, but Scott H seemed to dominate the talking quite well.
Draegan
Terracotta Army

Reply #446 on: September 15, 2010, 12:35:18 PM

... but Scott H seemed to dominate the talking...

Thankfully.
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #447 on: September 15, 2010, 01:34:24 PM

While I was enduring the TTH dickbags yammering, I noticed they put up a transcription and read that instead.
jayfyve
Terracotta Army

Reply #448 on: September 15, 2010, 04:40:59 PM

Also looks like marketing is heating up:

The Telara Chronicles
http://www.dccomics.com/wildstorm/comics/?cm=15619

Preview:
http://www.dccomics.com/media/excerpts/15619_x.pdf

Anybody know of other media in the works? Was this the MMO that was going to be tied into a SCIFI series?
Chimpy
Terracotta Army

Reply #449 on: September 15, 2010, 06:50:26 PM

I believe the Sci-Fi tv MMO is a different title.

They have a section called "SyFy Action MMO" separate from Rift and End of Nations.

'Reality' is the only word in the language that should always be used in quotes.
Tearofsoul
Terracotta Army

Reply #450 on: September 18, 2010, 04:41:31 PM

Question: Is Trion gonna be at NYCC next month? I don't see it on the exhibitor list ...
Draegan
Terracotta Army

Reply #451 on: September 18, 2010, 06:39:29 PM

Not that I know of, though I don't know about the comic book guys.

Curt Schilling is going to be there though.   awesome, for real
Tearofsoul
Terracotta Army

Reply #452 on: September 18, 2010, 07:09:23 PM

Not that I know of, though I don't know about the comic book guys.

Curt Schilling is going to be there though.   awesome, for real

And GW2 too.
Segoris
Terracotta Army

Reply #453 on: September 27, 2010, 12:14:27 PM

I know there are a few people here that are interested in this game, so fyi a chance for a chance to be in beta has appeared. Draegan's site Riftjunkies.com is holding a contest for some keys from Pax.

In other words, Draegan has been holding out on us. Mob

Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #454 on: September 27, 2010, 12:27:10 PM

I'm sure he's holding a contest for keys he's not giving out here at f13, RIGHT?

why so serious?  Mob Cthulu
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 97 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  MMOG Discussion  |  Topic: Rift: Planes of Telara  
Jump to: