Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 17, 2024, 03:24:57 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  MMOG Discussion  |  Topic: Rift: Planes of Telara 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 97 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Rift: Planes of Telara  (Read 802947 times)
Draegan
Terracotta Army

Reply #315 on: June 23, 2010, 11:52:34 AM

That and PnP is an obviously much more controlled environment. 
Malakili
Terracotta Army

Reply #316 on: June 23, 2010, 12:04:26 PM

That and PnP is an obviously much more controlled environment. 

Indeed. I think the lack  of a Dungeon Master is the single biggest problem with any multiplayer CRPG.  I don't think you can really emulate that on a big scale either. NWN persistent world servers were about the max where it can realistically work though, not to mention that those weren't paid services, so if you got griefers or players who didn't play in the spirit of the game, you could just ban them outright and be done with it.    I always hoped to find an MMO that would somehow replicate that experience, but on the scale a well funded project can do, but it turns out that I don't think its actually possible.
Ghambit
Terracotta Army

Reply #317 on: June 23, 2010, 12:17:05 PM

One might not come across someone specifically saying "I tank thee via taunt" at the table.  But obviously there are "tanky" roles most balanced tabletop games have.  When groups fall outside being effective (working together as a balanced team), then it's up to the GM to either punish them or reward them for some creative gameplay, if they're even capable of such.  Most of the time though, if they stuck to the rules strictly - they'd be dead.  Which is the way it should be if you dont want to drown yourself in roleplay or scripted/circumstantial encounters.

That's not to say non-trinity groups cant succeed.  Remember the all-mage 40-man that downed Rags?  Or was it Ony...  I forgot (but even then, certain types of mages fit certain roles... so then you're basically playing Ars Magica).  BUT, like I said - it takes good strategy and creative play.  Having a balanced team just makes things easier...  in any classed co-op of any type generally.  Some systems are easier to get creative with, others arent.  But, they're still diku.

HoT's system seems pretty diverse and complex class-wise, which may be its saving grace.  People wont be bored no matter what their role as long as they're presented with enough choice.  But, that doesnt mean the devs. should make the game easymode so anyone at anytime on anyquest with anyteam arrangement can pwn their game.

"See, the beauty of webgames is that I can play them on my phone while I'm plowing your mom."  -Samwise
Cheddar
I like pink

Noob Sauce

Reply #318 on: August 08, 2010, 02:49:11 PM

The fact that Hartsman is a part of this project is enough for me to give it a whirl.

No Nerf, but I put a link to this very thread and I said that you all can guarantee for my purity. I even mentioned your case, and see if they can take a look at your lawn from a Michigan perspective.
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #319 on: August 09, 2010, 06:44:42 AM

Wait, what? I need to pay more attention to the mmo forum.
Hartsman
Developers

Trion

Reply #320 on: August 12, 2010, 10:39:39 PM

Wait, what? I need to pay more attention to the mmo forum.

And here I thought you just didn't love me anymore.

Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #321 on: August 13, 2010, 12:06:55 PM

Love Letters
Brogarn
Terracotta Army

Reply #322 on: August 17, 2010, 08:28:38 AM

Preview over at Ten Ton Hammer: http://www.tentonhammer.com/rift/hands-on-preview-part-1

Also, details about classes have been linked or explained by Scott in blog comments (Keen and Graev, Game by Night, probably a few others) all over the place.
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #323 on: August 17, 2010, 09:10:03 AM

Quote from: Hartsman from that preview
"We fully expect that people will discover new and exciting things that never occurred to us, and that's ok... that's part of the fun.  We're not trying to overbalance everything and make everyone feel exactly the same."
That sounds like the FFH2 ideal: fun > balance. Situationally there are different elements to 'balance' anyway. I like when people focus on making things fun:
the Saboteur (a class that specializes in sneaking up to five bombs onto a target, then detonating them - preferably when the mob is appropriately loaded down with de-buffs).
DRILLING AND MANLINESS

I can see where that might be an issue in pvp, but if pvp is fun, dying isn't such a hassle (see my TF2 debacles).

Graphics look cool, but who knows with an mmo. I'm hoping they can capture what EQ2 has lost, and as far as vet mmo devs go, Scott is the man (my love letters emoticon is only a slight exaggeration, heh) to build the team of awesome. I need another game for my winter mmo fix, and the market, it's filled with meh and suck. So label me cautiously optimistic based on previews and lore and interviews (which is about a hill'o'beans, but hey).
Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #324 on: August 17, 2010, 10:58:06 AM

I've resisted telling him you sleep with an 8x12 glossy at night, in case he thinks it's a little creepy.

Hahahaha!  I'm really good at this!
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #325 on: August 17, 2010, 11:11:07 AM

I had it blown up to a mural on the ceiling. Sorry, Raph.
Malakili
Terracotta Army

Reply #326 on: August 17, 2010, 03:17:04 PM

Also, details about classes have been linked or explained by Scott in blog comments (Keen and Graev, Game by Night, probably a few others) all over the place.

Speaking of which, here is the post from Keen and Graev, its about classes:

Quote from: Scott Hartsman
Hey.  Happy to drop some authoritative answers:

Rift, Invasion, Defense and other overland events are not instanced. It may look like it from the videos, but, no — It’s a seamless world that dynamically changes and responds to what’s going on in it. The events can also alter the existing world population in interesting ways.

The events themselves are public, in that people’s contribution determines their reward via an implicit grouping system that keeps track of everyone who participates in any given event.

On the classes/souls: You choose your Calling (think: archetype) when you start, and the first soul (think: class) inside of that calling. That’s your soul. You can obtain the rest of the souls appropriate for your calling over time.

e.g. A warrior who started out as an Reaver, could collect a Champion soul later on, and then a Beastmaster soul, and then a Paladin soul, and so on.

As you level up, you’re able to control more souls at a at once – You start out being able to only have one Soul active, and eventually you can control and spend points in three at a time.

At the most, that high level warrior could then have three souls “loaded” into a role (think: spec) and spend points the way they chose across all three.

So, I could have a tanking role that spent exclusively in Paladin…and then also have a role where I spent exclusively in Reaver… and then also have a combination Champion/Reaver/Paladin… and then also have a Champion/Beastmaster/Reaver (which is a really good dps combo), and change between those four Roles/specs at will.

We call those Roles, and you can swap between them in the field. currently, the game supports characters having up to 4.)

And then – Yep, that takes place in a world that also has instances (dungeons, raids, etc), quests, and so on.

Hope that makes sense!

- Scott
Threash
Terracotta Army

Reply #327 on: August 17, 2010, 03:25:47 PM

This really is starting to sound fun, is it coming out any time soon?

I am the .00000001428%
Brogarn
Terracotta Army

Reply #328 on: August 18, 2010, 06:17:40 AM

Ard
Terracotta Army

Reply #329 on: August 18, 2010, 09:56:53 AM

Okay, that write up has me wanting this out now.  That said, they better take their time and do this right.  Do not release another Age of Conan, missing all the mid to end game content.
Draegan
Terracotta Army

Reply #330 on: August 18, 2010, 11:51:20 AM

If you watch the gamescom trailer you'll get a quick look at a fire rift.   Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

If anyone is interested I run an official fansite.

http://www.riftjunkies.com
« Last Edit: August 18, 2010, 11:57:39 AM by Draegan »
palmer_eldritch
Terracotta Army

Reply #331 on: August 18, 2010, 05:03:10 PM

If you watch the gamescom trailer you'll get a quick look at a fire rift.   Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

If anyone is interested I run an official fansite.

http://www.riftjunkies.com

What's an "official" fansite?

(hey, can you get me into the beta?)
Draegan
Terracotta Army

Reply #332 on: August 18, 2010, 08:04:35 PM

Official meaning that I was recognized by Trion as an "Official Fansite".  

And I can't get you into something that hasn't started yet!  Not that I'll have that power when it begins anyway.
Hartsman
Developers

Trion

Reply #333 on: August 18, 2010, 08:42:35 PM

Okay, that write up has me wanting this out now.  That said, they better take their time and do this right. 

My tiny producer brain just divided by zero.

(And thanks. :)

Ard
Terracotta Army

Reply #334 on: August 18, 2010, 11:40:45 PM

Yes, well, I'm not Sky and I'm not about to start stalking you.  I still have beef over what EQ2 became in the time since you've left.  Just don't pull a McQuaid, or a Jacobs, or a Godager, and I think we'll be cool.  Not that it'd stop me from buying the game, I'm kinda a dumb ass that way.
Brogarn
Terracotta Army

Reply #335 on: August 19, 2010, 07:00:18 AM

Not that it'd stop me from buying the game, I'm kinda a dumb ass that way.

Amen. For example: I should run screaming whenever I see the name Funcom, yet...

Facepalm
Malakili
Terracotta Army

Reply #336 on: August 19, 2010, 07:01:48 AM

Frankly, just the fact that Hartsman posts here and comes off as a reasonable human being drastically ups my chances of buying this game.
Segoris
Terracotta Army

Reply #337 on: August 19, 2010, 08:58:02 AM

Frankly, just the fact that Hartsman posts here and comes off as a reasonable human being drastically ups my chances of buying this game.

I agree, and am happy that it's not just here though. He seems consistent in everything I've seen with him posting including interviews and when he pops in places to clarify. He seems like his ego is in check and not inflated like some others. Of course perception and reality may differ, I don't know, he could just be a good actor, but combining modesty in everything I've read with the fact that the game seems awesome has this marked as my most anticipated game/mmo atm.

I'd probably be a lot more excited and posting more on the official forums instead of lurking if I didn't fear I'd turn into Sky and end up sitting in a tree outside Scott's window with binoculars why so serious?
Segoris
Terracotta Army

Reply #338 on: August 19, 2010, 11:50:59 AM

Anyone know if more info has been posted about crafting? I haven't been able to find anything new and I realized that is still my only concern for this game as of right now, that I don't want the crafting to resemble EQ2 at all. Sadly, the only things I've seen is that you can have multiple crafting professions and the bit on the faq about how they have some robust system planned.
Draegan
Terracotta Army

Reply #339 on: August 19, 2010, 02:24:54 PM

Anyone know if more info has been posted about crafting? I haven't been able to find anything new and I realized that is still my only concern for this game as of right now, that I don't want the crafting to resemble EQ2 at all. Sadly, the only things I've seen is that you can have multiple crafting professions and the bit on the faq about how they have some robust system planned.

There have been a few mentions of different types of gathering/crafting professions.  You get up to three of them.  It was also mentioned that crafting is more traditional.  Which I assume is like WOW.  

So basically, don't expect anything different.  Just refined (I hope).

But they haven't released any crafting related articles, blogs or interviews yet.
AutomaticZen
Terracotta Army

Reply #340 on: August 19, 2010, 02:39:16 PM

I've been following this one for awhile, since going over an interview with Lars on the site I work for, and I'm glad to see them getting more information out there.  And videos are always cool.

The Wildstorm comic deal was odd, but I'm looking forward to the game itself.  As long as I can make black people. (The Eth seem to be in the right direction)

Wolf
Terracotta Army

Reply #341 on: August 23, 2010, 05:27:12 AM

This was playable at gamescom. After randomly passing by the booth about 50 times I managed to get some one on one time. I won't repeat what various previews have to say about the game but I will say, for something that's not even in Beta, this is a really polished game. And I believe that's one of the best compliments you can give an mmo game :)

As a matter of fact I swallowed one of these about two hours ago and the explanation is that it is, in fact, my hand.
Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #342 on: August 25, 2010, 06:41:13 AM

Today's How-To: Scrambling a Thread to the Point of Incoherence in Only One Post with MrBloodworth . - schild
www.mrbloodworthproductions.com  www.amuletsbymerlin.com
AutomaticZen
Terracotta Army

Reply #343 on: August 25, 2010, 07:33:54 AM

I'm digging the class system presented here, but it seem like it'll be hell to balance.

http://www.gametrailers.com/video/gc-10-rift-planes/703481?type=flv
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #344 on: August 25, 2010, 08:19:58 AM

I must admit, that video with the class stuff was impressive. This is on my radar.

Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #345 on: August 25, 2010, 09:31:33 AM

Yeah that multiclassing stuff looks wicked! Been on my radar because of Mr. H, but visuals are pretty awesome and the class mechanics look great. Too bad it's an mmo :P
Chimpy
Terracotta Army

Reply #346 on: August 25, 2010, 09:58:12 AM

Yeah that multiclassing stuff looks wicked! Been on my radar because of Mr. H, but visuals are pretty awesome and the class mechanics look great. Too bad it's an mmo :P

We promise we won't tell on you if you like it. :D

I was not even aware of this until recently (I usually gloss over most of the threads on upcoming games) when a friend mentioned it. I really think this looks like it could be cool. The multiple roles in an archetype thing sounds pretty snazzy. Going to keep more of an eye on this I think.

'Reality' is the only word in the language that should always be used in quotes.
Threash
Terracotta Army

Reply #347 on: August 25, 2010, 09:59:39 AM

I'm digging the class system presented here, but it seem like it'll be hell to balance.

The more i think about it the more it looks like they just separated their version of wow talent trees into different classes.

I am the .00000001428%
Draegan
Terracotta Army

Reply #348 on: August 25, 2010, 11:10:27 AM

The more i think about it the more it looks like they just separated their version of wow talent trees into different classes.

It's similar to that yes.

Using the WOW to Rift translation:

In Rift you pick a Warrior at character creation.  Using WOW terms that means you have access to all these talent trees:

Prot. Paladin
Ret Paladin
Arms Warrior
Fury Warrior
Prot Warrior
Bear Druid (But not cat?)
Blood DK
Unholy DK
Frost DK

And you get to mix and match any three.  It's been mentioned that each calling has like 8 souls to pick from.

In WOW you have dual spec.  In Rift it's been mentioned that you can have up to four saved specs that you can switch between when you're OOC.

Now just picking souls doesn't give you abiltiies.  If you watch any of the soul system videos there are root abilities.  You gain more abilities via putting points into the talent tree.  So you may specifically choose to put X points into a soul just get a specific ability.  In the Russ Brown video he mentions "Put X points into the Champion tree for Improved Charge".
WindupAtheist
Army of One

Badicalthon

Reply #349 on: August 25, 2010, 01:14:56 PM

Class system is nigh-incomprehensible and will utterly mystify anyone who's not already a hardened MMO geek. Lore suffers from way too much "After the Tururrhbjbhsrf Civl War, the forces of Foghdjhsd learned to harness the power of Lowdfihsfhjk!" type stuff. Unless you've taken ten years and three games plus expansions to establish and build up your lore (like you know who) you need to keep that shit simple.

"You're just a dick who quotes himself in his sig."  --  Schild
"Yeah, it's pretty awesome."  --  Me
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 97 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  MMOG Discussion  |  Topic: Rift: Planes of Telara  
Jump to: