Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 07, 2024, 11:08:07 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Topic: Android! 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 44 45 [46] 47 48 ... 74 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Android!  (Read 818325 times)
Quinton
Terracotta Army

is saving up his raid points for a fancy board title

Reply #1575 on: May 01, 2011, 06:54:17 PM

I'm very happy with how Nexus S turned out (been using it as my primary phone since months before it shipped, and have been using the sprint SKU for over a month now), but then I may be a little biased here.  Some people really don't like the shiny black plastic finsh, claiming it looks cheap, but I find the build quality to be quite good.  Compared to the 2010 generation devices it (and the Galaxy series which use the same SLSI S5PC11x SoC) is faaast.  The new multicore stuff may be a bit snappier, but I've yet to feel the Nexus S was underpowered for a WVGA smartphone.  5MP camera is not mindblowing, but is solid and gets the job done. 

Additional upside: Nexus S is the first Gingerbread based device, receives Gingerbread updates first (like 2.3.4 which added video chat in gtalk), has an unlockable bootloader and lots of support for third party roms if you're into that (support for building AOSP on Nexus S went out alongside the OTA: http://groups.google.com/group/android-building/msg/79ccaf7ebfa22744)

Chimpy
Terracotta Army

Reply #1576 on: May 01, 2011, 08:27:05 PM

I really don't care much about rooting, camera features, or even the apps available mostly. I have had the same phone for almost 6 years now and as it is time to upgrade I figured I might as well get a smart phone since I am the only person in my family/social circle that is without one.

I was originally thinking of a Galaxy S (Edge 4G) but the lack of bloatware on the Nexus S seems like it will fit my liking better. There is no 4G in Champaign as of yet (and who knows how long it will be until that gets put in..._) so that does not really matter.

I just want to make sure people who have it actually think it has good build quality and works as advertised.

'Reality' is the only word in the language that should always be used in quotes.
Sand
Terracotta Army

Reply #1577 on: May 01, 2011, 10:32:50 PM

Ok, so does anyone have a Nexus S?

I am most likely going to buy one sometime next month (they are being released may 8 on Sprint), depending on permanent job situation. Just want to know what people think of it after using it for a while.

As I said above I just got mine a couple weeks ago. Im loving it!

Fast. Beautiful screen. Battery time has actually been very good and Im a frequent email reader/writer and web browser.

Downloaded this game called "Majesty" and its very strategy ala Heroes of Might and Magicish, and the graphics are awesome (for a phone!).

Happiest I have been with a phone since I bought my very first smart phone back in 2003.

PS- My wife has the Galaxy S and has had nothing but problems with it. Shitty battery time (like 6 hours from full to empty with minimal talking) and it continuously reboots itself (I guess the phone version of a blue screen of death). We took it back into today and they factory reset it. If it continue to happen we will dump it under the warranty.

Also if you get the Nexus spend a little bit of extra dough and get the Zagg invisibleShield for the screen. Its not a normal screen protector, its like clear aluminum.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2011, 10:38:55 PM by Sand »
Xuri
Terracotta Army

몇살이세욬ㅋ 몇살이 몇살 몇살이세욬ㅋ!!!!!1!

Reply #1578 on: May 01, 2011, 10:43:15 PM

I'm very happy with how Nexus S turned out (been using it as my primary phone since months before it shipped, and have been using the sprint SKU for over a month now), but then I may be a little biased here.  Some people really don't like the shiny black plastic finsh, claiming it looks cheap, but I find the build quality to be quite good.  Compared to the 2010 generation devices it (and the Galaxy series which use the same SLSI S5PC11x SoC) is faaast.  The new multicore stuff may be a bit snappier, but I've yet to feel the Nexus S was underpowered for a WVGA smartphone.  5MP camera is not mindblowing, but is solid and gets the job done. 

Additional upside: Nexus S is the first Gingerbread based device, receives Gingerbread updates first (like 2.3.4 which added video chat in gtalk), has an unlockable bootloader and lots of support for third party roms if you're into that (support for building AOSP on Nexus S went out alongside the OTA: http://groups.google.com/group/android-building/msg/79ccaf7ebfa22744)
Not enough of an upgrade to convert from this, the most beautiful of phones, my N1. Heart

-= Ho Eyo He Hum =-
Rendakor
Terracotta Army

Reply #1579 on: May 02, 2011, 08:25:46 AM

I've got the Galaxy S (ATT Captivate) and other than ATT's usual bullshit I've had no problems with it.

"i can't be a star citizen. they won't even give me a star green card"
Pennilenko
Terracotta Army

Reply #1580 on: May 02, 2011, 07:45:43 PM

I've got the Galaxy S (ATT Captivate) and other than ATT's usual bullshit I've had no problems with it.

I have one too, I love it. It works well and is fast.

"See?  All of you are unique.  And special.  Like fucking snowflakes."  -- Signe
Tale
Terracotta Army

sıɥʇ ǝʞıן sʞןɐʇ

Reply #1581 on: May 02, 2011, 07:53:39 PM

Well, I love my $99 Huawei IDEOS U8150. Froyo modded with FusionIDEOS (adds multitouch and saves battery by underclocking in standby mode).
MuffinMan
Terracotta Army

Reply #1582 on: May 05, 2011, 04:07:27 PM

More Google related than Android but Sprint integrated Google Voice into their service on the 3rd. Sucks that I found out about it today from an Engadget article about issues that people have been having. I activated it anyways because I'm a daredevil and/or stupid.

I'm very mysterious when I'm inside you.
rattran

Unreasonable

Reply #1583 on: May 05, 2011, 04:14:00 PM

Jumped from Red to Pink, so I've retired my Droid1 for a shiny new LG G2X. I'll miss the Droid1, first phone I've had that lasted a year, and I didn't hate.
fuser
Terracotta Army

Reply #1584 on: May 10, 2011, 02:29:37 PM

At io2011 its really heavy android. One very cool think so far is dev kit for the android at home and the usb dev kit. Very cool how you now can develop a usb device that will even poke android to get you to download an associated market app. The hardware is realky nice.
schild
Administrator

Reply #1585 on: May 10, 2011, 02:33:22 PM

I need to start fucking going to I/O.
Bann
Terracotta Army

Reply #1586 on: May 11, 2011, 06:44:52 AM

I've been following this thread for awhile as I've known its way past time for me to upgrade my phone. I'm still rocking a RAZR from 5-6 years ago.  DRILLING AND MANLINESS

I want a smart phone, and have a preference for android. Both my Girlfriend and I are not under contract (I'm still on a family plan and she is prepaid) and we are looking to get a family plan together for some savings. We are in Chicago, so coverage is not really an issue.

We are looking to commit to something at some point this summer. She has her eye on an Iphone, but could be talked off that, I believe. I currently believe that the Nexus S to be the phone that looks coolest to me, but I thought I'd solicit some opinions here. Seems like people are happy with the Nexus S, but if you were getting a phone in the next 3-4 months, would you pull the trigger on a nexus S now, or is there something coming out soon that you would hold out for?
Xuri
Terracotta Army

몇살이세욬ㅋ 몇살이 몇살 몇살이세욬ㅋ!!!!!1!

Reply #1587 on: May 11, 2011, 07:04:44 AM

Rumors have been going around fpr a while (and more or less confirmed by Google) of a new Nexus phone in the works (possibly running on Nvidia's quad-core mobile CPU (Tegra), possibly being made by LG), though it might not see the light of day until the very end of the year - you probably don't want to wait that long? :P

-= Ho Eyo He Hum =-
RhyssaFireheart
Terracotta Army

Reply #1588 on: May 11, 2011, 07:23:41 AM

Since I'm currently disinclined to completely reread the thread, why is the Nexus S better than the Galaxy S phone?  I'm going to upgrade soon (tm), definitely before September and was leaning towards the Samsung Fascinate since we're on Verizon and are perfectly happy with the service we get from them.  But I keep hearing the Nexus S phones are so awesome so now I'm wondering...

schild
Administrator

Reply #1589 on: May 11, 2011, 09:14:26 AM

Anyone want to sell their Galaxy Tab LE from IO? Heh.

Daddy want badly. I just can't stand my iPad.
RhyssaFireheart
Terracotta Army

Reply #1590 on: May 11, 2011, 09:57:26 AM

I just can't stand my iPad.
You can send it my way.  I wouldn't complain about having one.  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

fuser
Terracotta Army

Reply #1591 on: May 11, 2011, 12:38:33 PM

Anyone want to sell their Galaxy Tab LE from IO? Heh.

Daddy want badly. I just can't stand my iPad.

Its pretty sweet but I hear rumors the le will being retail market with the white android skin. Really disapointed there was no phones this year as they are pushing nfc. Cool tech demos showing multiplayer link up by putting to nexus s together. It activates p2p on fruit ninja to establish multiplayer bluetooth link.

Heck they gave out nfc tags as a part of the ticketpouch.
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #1592 on: May 11, 2011, 01:20:11 PM

Rumors have been going around fpr a while (and more or less confirmed by Google) of a new Nexus phone in the works (possibly running on Nvidia's quad-core mobile CPU (Tegra), possibly being made by LG), though it might not see the light of day until the very end of the year - you probably don't want to wait that long? :P

This looks great and all, but I need a Nexus on VZW.  It's not looking like I will be able to hold out for a Super Awesome Kickass Phone, not until Q4 and not even a rumor of VZW so it's Thunderbolt for me it seems.

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
They called it The Prayer, its answer was law
Mommy come back 'cause the water's all gone
ghost
The Dentist

Reply #1593 on: May 11, 2011, 01:41:45 PM

I just can't stand my iPad.

What don't you like about it?  Edit:  Or, more appropriately, what do you see as the benefits of switching to the Samsung device?
« Last Edit: May 12, 2011, 05:48:46 AM by ghost »
Koyasha
Terracotta Army

Reply #1594 on: May 12, 2011, 01:39:29 AM

Has anyone had any experience with the 'document scanner' apps?  I've seen a few of them and trying to figure out which one will be best for a hypothetical future phone is hard.  The two trial versions I tried (Document Scanner and Scan2PDF Mobile) both had horribly blurry pictures, but I'm trying them on my G1's 3 megapixel camera; I don't know if the image quality would improve significantly (that is, be readable) with newer phones.  I'm attempting to replace my mother's phone and if I can get her to learn to use something like this it'll be good for her - she's constantly lugging around paper that isn't necessary when she could scan documents in and email them as needed.  Anyone have a good suggestion on which app seems to perform well?

Additionally, haven't been keeping up on devices lately - I'm wondering what would be good for her.  Screen size maximized is a must, so she can see as much as possible - I originally had some comments about Verizon phones, but she really wants to stick with AT&T, and I know less about what they have that's any good.  Anyone got suggestions on device to use?  From a quick look it seems like the HTC Inspire might be the best they've got for these purposes - 8 MP camera and 4.3 inch screen.  I'd prefer the largest possible screen so she can see what she's doing.  Anything that's coming out in the next 2-3 months would also be reasonable, since there's no great rush to get this done.

Alternately, perhaps a good tablet would be useful to her as well - hell of a lot more screen real estate, and she could more easily see and read the documents on the device itself.  But I haven't kept up with tablets at all, so if anyone has any good suggestions on that front I'd also welcome those.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2011, 02:49:25 AM by Koyasha »

-Do you honestly think that we believe ourselves evil? My friend, we seek only good. It's just that our definitions don't quite match.-
Ailanreanter, Arcanaloth
Sand
Terracotta Army

Reply #1595 on: May 12, 2011, 09:56:30 AM

Since I'm currently disinclined to completely reread the thread, why is the Nexus S better than the Galaxy S phone?  I'm going to upgrade soon (tm), definitely before September and was leaning towards the Samsung Fascinate since we're on Verizon and are perfectly happy with the service we get from them.  But I keep hearing the Nexus S phones are so awesome so now I'm wondering...

I believe...

A) More on board memory.
B) Direct Google phone meaning they have the better operating system and get updated first.
C) Other than that between my wife having the Galaxy and me having the Nexus we have had far fewer issues with the Nexus and its been noticeably faster with longer battery life than my wife's.

(A and B I completely pulled out of my ass, but believe its what I was told and or read in this thread).

jakonovski
Terracotta Army

Reply #1596 on: May 13, 2011, 04:31:02 AM

Sweet, my Desire HD got the 2.3 update. It's so smoooooooth now.
caladein
Terracotta Army

Reply #1597 on: May 13, 2011, 05:39:09 AM

Since I'm currently disinclined to completely reread the thread, why is the Nexus S better than the Galaxy S phone?  I'm going to upgrade soon (tm), definitely before September and was leaning towards the Samsung Fascinate since we're on Verizon and are perfectly happy with the service we get from them.  But I keep hearing the Nexus S phones are so awesome so now I'm wondering...

If you have the option to go with a same-gen reference device like the Nexus S, you're better off doing it.  The Fascinate isn't a bad phone (I have the AT&T version, the Captivate) by any stretch, but you're going to be stuck at least one major OS revision behind and support for it will probably dry up a lot faster than for the reference phones (or even stuff from HTC/Motorola).

Really, the only trump card it has over what I'd recommend on Verizon, the Incredible 2, is the screen, which is pretty spectacular.  I guess the back of the Incredible might bother you, but I just slap everything in an Otterbox Commuter these days.

"Point being, they can't make everyone happy, so I hope they pick me." -Ingmar
"OH MY GOD WE'RE SURROUNDED SEND FOR BACKUP DIG IN DEFENSIVE POSITIONS MAN YOUR NECKBEARDS" -tgr
Nerf
Terracotta Army

The Presence of Your Vehicle Has Been Documented

Reply #1598 on: May 14, 2011, 06:16:59 AM

Since I'm currently disinclined to completely reread the thread, why is the Nexus S better than the Galaxy S phone?  I'm going to upgrade soon (tm), definitely before September and was leaning towards the Samsung Fascinate since we're on Verizon and are perfectly happy with the service we get from them.  But I keep hearing the Nexus S phones are so awesome so now I'm wondering...

If you have the option to go with a same-gen reference device like the Nexus S, you're better off doing it.  The Fascinate isn't a bad phone (I have the AT&T version, the Captivate) by any stretch, but you're going to be stuck at least one major OS revision behind and support for it will probably dry up a lot faster than for the reference phones (or even stuff from HTC/Motorola).

Really, the only trump card it has over what I'd recommend on Verizon, the Incredible 2, is the screen, which is pretty spectacular.  I guess the back of the Incredible might bother you, but I just slap everything in an Otterbox Commuter these days.

Is there a release date on the Incredible 2 yet?
TripleDES
Terracotta Army

Reply #1599 on: May 14, 2011, 10:31:10 AM

The Nexus phones are to be taken as baseline specifications and are also development phones. I rather doubt that they'll implement a quad core in this one. I mean, it'll be sweet and I'll be buying this in an instant (if it'll be true) if Microsoft continues to piss me off.

--edit: Also, Android manufacturers are still pretty schizo. Google had Samsung make a Gingerbread phone which was released quite a while ago now, and still, new devices, like for instance the Infuse 4G, are still being released with Froyo.  why so serious?

I hope that update guarantee crap announced at IO has some weight.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2011, 10:36:18 AM by TripleDES »

EVE (inactive): Deakin Frost -- APB (fukken dead): Kayleigh (on Patriot).
caladein
Terracotta Army

Reply #1600 on: May 14, 2011, 11:09:07 AM

Is there a release date on the Incredible 2 yet?

I think they've been out here for a little bit now.

"Point being, they can't make everyone happy, so I hope they pick me." -Ingmar
"OH MY GOD WE'RE SURROUNDED SEND FOR BACKUP DIG IN DEFENSIVE POSITIONS MAN YOUR NECKBEARDS" -tgr
fuser
Terracotta Army

Reply #1601 on: May 14, 2011, 04:11:29 PM

Been using the 3.0.1 release on my Galaxy Tab 10.1 for a few days now and I have come to the conclusion it's still unstable. The networking stack seems to freeze quite a bit timing out apps which makes them hang and force close. It doesn't sound to bad but trying to use google maps and it freezing every-time you pinch zoom it causes total headaches. Some other really stupid things are the date/timezone being grayed out requiring a complete factory reset to to set them. The app store freezes on installs (related to the network connectivity) for long periods of time to transactions timeout.

It's not nearly as polished as 2.x awaiting for the 3.1 OTA update.
Quinton
Terracotta Army

is saving up his raid points for a fancy board title

Reply #1602 on: May 14, 2011, 07:39:24 PM

I'm wondering if the network issues you're seeing might not be Tab-specific.  Xoom has been pretty solid for me.  Your 10.1 Tab is wifi-only?
fuser
Terracotta Army

Reply #1603 on: May 14, 2011, 08:47:31 PM

Yep they were WiFi only, and I've been using the Samsung 4g LTE mobile hotspot that was given out. A friends that has a Xoom mentioned some issues along the same (force quits) and its the WiFi only version also.
Rendakor
Terracotta Army

Reply #1604 on: May 16, 2011, 10:54:11 AM

My girlfriend had been having problems with her Galaxy S phone so we decided to format it; before doing so we took out her Sim card and SD card so we didn't lose all of her contacts. However, after resetting it and putting the Sim card back in, her contacts were gone anyway. Going into Sim management under Contacts showed no contacts on the Sim card, despite them all being there 5 minutes before...  swamp poop

Any ideas on how we can fix this short of typing them all back in by hand? Some googling gave me a couple shady-looking programs, but they all require a Sim card reader which we don't have.

Edit: Nevermind. We started typing in contacts by hand, and after typing in a few the rest all popped back up.  swamp poop
« Last Edit: May 16, 2011, 11:19:20 AM by Rendakor »

"i can't be a star citizen. they won't even give me a star green card"
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #1605 on: May 16, 2011, 11:31:51 AM

It was testing your resolve.

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #1606 on: May 17, 2011, 07:43:21 AM

I noticed the Samsung Droid Charge is available and it seems to be a slightly-improved Thunderbolt.  Specifically it has more memory and apparently a better screen, from some quick googling.  Checking the pre-discount price on my VZW account screen (ripoff) they are priced the same.

rattran

Unreasonable

Reply #1607 on: May 17, 2011, 03:55:07 PM

I was happy with Verizon service while I had it (except the price) but trying to cancel service with them has me raging. I ported my number to T-Mobile for the sexy new G2x phone, and now verizon can't seem to find my records to cancel me. But they sent out a shiny new bill. Fuckers.

The G2x is quite spiffy, if I was still with Verizon, I think I'd wait for the Droid 3 or LG Revo. Charge Review
« Last Edit: May 18, 2011, 07:57:22 AM by rattran »
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #1608 on: May 18, 2011, 06:15:25 AM

That Charge review was negative enough for me to consider a long-ass wait for something else.  Particularly the TouchWiz part, I am switching phones now simply because of the lag time on my Droid.  I need Google to get on with a (new) Nexus on VZW.

fuser
Terracotta Army

Reply #1609 on: May 18, 2011, 09:33:35 AM

Update on the Galaxy Tab 10.1, the crashes on app's are totally WiFi signal strength based. I have been using it a fair bit on good/known WiFi networks and it's been running like a champ. 3.1 notes seem to indicate a bunch of changes with the WiFi so it will probably fix up all the issues experienced.

The battery life is fantastic, under light usage you can get 2-3 days on a single charge(that's with wifi active in sleep mode). Browsing is good but apparently its a limited version of the browser compared to the 3.0 Xoom (people on XDA are trying to get the apk and port it over but its useless till 3.1 is released). There's some weird bugs with the tablet where a co-workers tablet will turn itself off after sleeping for a period of time.

Speaking of which one issue still ongoing is really long mp3's on the tablet (3-4hrs long) the music app just stops playing after a period of time. It's really annoying and random. I have tested the mp3 on a desktop pc with zero issues.
Pages: 1 ... 44 45 [46] 47 48 ... 74 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Topic: Android!  
Jump to: