Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 07, 2024, 09:55:02 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Topic: Android! 0 Members and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 36 37 [38] 39 40 ... 74 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Android!  (Read 818324 times)
Thrawn
Terracotta Army

Reply #1295 on: November 13, 2010, 12:45:07 PM

Could anyone recommend an app for facebook chat? I've been trying Go!Chat for the last couple of days but it's really klling my battery. I assume this might be the case with any of them, though.

I use eBuddy and it combines my Facebook chat, Google chat and a bunch of other options into it just fine.  Can be a bit of a battery hog though if you don't set it to only check for messages every 15 minutes.  Also Trillian has an Android app in beta, I haven't look at it myself but I'm told it works very well but the interface is currently pretty clunky.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2010, 12:50:34 PM by Thrawn »

"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the Universe is that none of it has tried to contact us."
Amarr HM
Terracotta Army

Reply #1296 on: November 13, 2010, 04:43:06 PM

Started using this app called whatsapp not sure if it links through Facebook, it links via your cell number.

I'm going to escape, come back, wipe this place off the face of the Earth, obliterate it and you with it.
IainC
Developers

Wargaming.net

Reply #1297 on: November 15, 2010, 02:49:09 PM

Got my Milestone 2 this morning and have been playing with it all day. It's a definite departure from my well-loved G1 but it's growing on me. I can take or leave all the Motoblur stuff to be honest - I don't desperately need random people's Facebook updates pushed to my home screen. I've spent more time in pushing widgets around than I have actually using the phone to do useful things with. I do like the resizable widgets though - that's a very nice touch.

Physically the phone feels chunky, well made and large although lined up next to my G1 there's almost no difference between the case sizes - the G1 is slightly thicker and a shade narrower but not by very much. I guess it's the huge screen on the Milestone that makes it feel much bigger than it is. The screen is very responsive and super-sharp. The Motorola keyboard isn't as nice as the one on the G1, for a start it only has four rows despite being considerably larger; so numbers need an alt press to use which is annoying, this is the same on most current gen smartphones with keyboards though so it's not just Motorola. The keys are slightly dimpled but not as well defined as the G1's keyboard. I guess I'll get used to the feel soon enough although typing on the G1 is a much nicer experience. For some reason, alt and shift buttons are only present on the left side of the keyboard so using those in combination with keys that are normally pressed by your left thumb can be a chore. The slider is slightly stiff but otherwise smooth and solid feeling.

Motorola need to be a bit more generous with their bundled accessories too; there is no slip-case or bag for the phone, no screen protectors and the included USB cable is laughably short. I bought the docking station separately and that too has the same very short USB cable included. It's irritating to need a hub or an extender to be able to use the thing comfortably while it's docked or charging. The camera seems fine and it's nice that Motorola don't have the same hangups about multiple ports that HTC do and the phone has a 3.5mm stereo jack as well as a USB port so I can listen to music while the phone is charging.

I like the phone and I'm sure it will grow on me, the Motoblur UI is not too intrusive once you bin all the stuff you aren't interested in and the Grand Unified Contact List of Doom is actually pretty nice once you get over the initial shock of the size of your combined social media networks. Linking profiles from multiple networks is very handy indeed.

- And in stranger Iains, even Death may die -

SerialForeigner Photography.
Nerf
Terracotta Army

The Presence of Your Vehicle Has Been Documented

Reply #1298 on: November 15, 2010, 03:24:55 PM

Holy shit there are a lot of android tablets out right now.

Has anyone used one of these yet?  So far these two both look pretty good, but it's damned hard to figure out what some offer over others with shitty chinese descriptions of everything.

Daves previous link: http://www.ankaka.com/imito-im7android-21-tablet-pcmid-wifi-7tft-touch-screen-800mhz-cpu-256-ddr2-ram-webcam-builtin-2g_p46876.html?zenid=el9mmuqb9861ibn4g9lkg6g996

This one:  http://www.singingegg.com/cube-u6-mid-cpu-telechip-8902-arm11-core-800mhz-os-android-2-1.html?___store=default

They seem identical to me, except for the second one looking like an iPad, with will be funny when the apple-fanboi father in law comes around.
MahrinSkel
Terracotta Army

When she crossed over, she was just a ship. But when she came back... she was bullshit!

Reply #1299 on: November 15, 2010, 04:30:23 PM

They look pretty identical except for casing, and might be the same underneath.  There's also this 10" model, which is pretty equivalent except that the screen is larger, the processor is 1GHz, and the battery life is about half (so you'd probably have to tether it to a wall wart).  At about the size of a hardback novel (rather than the paper-back of the 7-inch) it's at the upper edge of a comfortable couch-surfing device.

Looks like prices are coming down quickly on Android tablets, too.  That first one was $170 when I first linked it.

--Dave

--Signature Unclear
Quinton
Terracotta Army

is saving up his raid points for a fancy board title

Reply #1300 on: November 15, 2010, 04:57:18 PM

I'd be a bit nervous about < 1GHz ARMv7 (like ARM9/ARM11 solutions) and < 512MB ram for a good tablet experience. 

Right now the typical Froyo smartphone hardware platform for android is:
- 800MHz-1GHz ARMv7 CPU w/ FPU  & NEON (MSM8x50, MSM7x30, Samsung S5PC11x, TI OMAP36xx, etc)
- 384-512MB ram
- 800x480 wvga display
- OpenGL ES 2 capable GPU

If you increase display size, you're going to increase memory pressure and CPU/GPU load, probably wanting something a bit beefier.

Samsung's Galaxy Tab platform is similar to their Galaxy S platform, but with a 1024x600 display, and seems to be pretty solid (the S5PC11x has about 2x the memory bus of the MSM8x50 and OMAP36xx and a pretty snappy GPU).

I'd be cautious of the ARM9 based solutions, they're almost guaranteed to be underpowered.  A good ARM11 design with a decent GPU and memory subsystem might be usable if the resolution is not too over the top.
Nerf
Terracotta Army

The Presence of Your Vehicle Has Been Documented

Reply #1301 on: November 15, 2010, 08:47:57 PM

Isn't the galaxy tab several hundred higher?  Really looking for something sub $250.

If I find an 800ghz 512MB ram tab, should that be acceptable?
NiX
Wiki Admin

Locomotive Pandamonium

Reply #1302 on: November 15, 2010, 09:10:10 PM

Isn't the galaxy tab several hundred higher?  Really looking for something sub $250.

If I find an 800ghz 512MB ram tab, should that be acceptable?

I think the point Quinton is trying to make is that you'll get what you pay for.
MahrinSkel
Terracotta Army

When she crossed over, she was just a ship. But when she came back... she was bullshit!

Reply #1303 on: November 15, 2010, 09:57:45 PM

I'd be cautious of the ARM9 based solutions, they're almost guaranteed to be underpowered.  A good ARM11 design with a decent GPU and memory subsystem might be usable if the resolution is not too over the top.
But we're talking about a *very* narrow application spread, something you use to surf the web and maybe play a few games while sitting on the couch ignoring what the significant other is watching on TV (but ignoring it while "being together", which being at your desk with headphones on would not be).  Android phones just don't have the battery for hours of continual use (and the screens are too small), laptops are overkill, etc.  We're not after the full Android experience, just a web appliance with some flexibility.

--Dave

--Signature Unclear
Vaiti
Terracotta Army

Reply #1304 on: November 15, 2010, 10:34:52 PM

While doing abit of research I came across an interesting tidbit of information with alot of these Chinese tabs.
The ones you see like that Cube U6 which state a speed higher than 600mhz are likely overclocked. Alot of these Chinese tabs are using a Telechip 890x. Which are typically natively clocked at around 600mhz, getting those higher speeds involves overclocking it.

Not a huge concern maybe, but battery life is going to pay a price for that OCing, and I just wouldn't think the device would be as stable. Also would appear Telechip 890x series can't handle Froyo well if at all. They can however handle video at 720p and in some cases 1080p with no problems at all. So if you just want a little video player you'll be ok.

EvE: Caern Robillard | Cua D'Mon
Steam Profile
NiX
Wiki Admin

Locomotive Pandamonium

Reply #1305 on: November 16, 2010, 07:47:57 AM

But we're talking about a *very* narrow application spread, something you use to surf the web and maybe play a few games while sitting on the couch ignoring what the significant other is watching on TV (but ignoring it while "being together", which being at your desk with headphones on would not be).  Android phones just don't have the battery for hours of continual use (and the screens are too small), laptops are overkill, etc.  We're not after the full Android experience, just a web appliance with some flexibility.

--Dave

Haha, you mentioned games in an Android thread.
Amarr HM
Terracotta Army

Reply #1306 on: November 16, 2010, 10:36:59 AM

Market doesn't necessarily need games when it has free emulators. Also he's correct about the couch thing.

I'm going to escape, come back, wipe this place off the face of the Earth, obliterate it and you with it.
Quinton
Terracotta Army

Reply #1307 on: November 17, 2010, 01:11:07 AM

The web browser is one of the more memory and compute intensive apps on the platform (modern websites tend to assume you have desktop-ish resources and sure you can burn 100MB on javascript and images and crap to display that page, why not!).

So the answer, of course, is "it depends."  For some specific workloads, you may be totally happy with a device that's a little underpowered -- a lot of it depends on what you want the device to do and how responsive you want it to be.  The general spec space I sketched out above is to fit the "device can run several apps and be reasonably responsive" expectation that many users have.

Other things you tend to give up for some of the cheaper tablets include:
- good touchscreen (resistive touchscreens are not so great and not multitouch)
- quality of display (not just number of pixels, but bit-depth, backlight brightness, contrast, etc)
- various peripherals

Again, for certain specific cases you may be quite happy, but as a general use device, I'd be wary of the current crop of $100-200 Android tablets, as most I've heard of sound rather underpowered.  My advice would be to try one first (of course I'd advise that with much more expensive consumer electronics devices too).
ffc
Terracotta Army

Reply #1308 on: November 17, 2010, 05:20:54 PM

Not to barge in on tablet discussions but relevant to tablets and phones, mobile Google Docs editing is here!  Happy happy happy
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #1309 on: November 18, 2010, 05:16:41 AM

Awesome.

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
They called it The Prayer, its answer was law
Mommy come back 'cause the water's all gone
MahrinSkel
Terracotta Army

Reply #1310 on: November 19, 2010, 04:18:15 PM

So, I'm playing around with programming for Android.  Can anyone recommend a primer for the framework beyond "Java for Dummies" and the android.com documentation?

--Dave

--Signature Unclear
fuser
Terracotta Army

Reply #1311 on: November 22, 2010, 04:27:30 PM

New update on Nexus One, froyo?

Bah a new build of 2.2.1  Ohhhhh, I see.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2010, 04:37:11 PM by fuser »
MuffinMan
Terracotta Army

Reply #1312 on: November 28, 2010, 03:56:26 PM

I came here to thank whoever mentioned the TuneIn Radio app and I now see that I'm crazy because search comes up with nothing. I mean, all radio pretty much plays the same shit but now I can listen to the stations from back home.

I'm very mysterious when I'm inside you.
KallDrexx
Terracotta Army

Reply #1313 on: December 02, 2010, 05:04:37 AM

Google Finally has released a Google Reader app!

Draegan
Terracotta Army

Reply #1314 on: December 02, 2010, 07:00:32 AM

Finally!

Installing.

Edit:
This app needs a widget or a way to notify me of new messages like emails do.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2010, 07:51:19 AM by Draegan »
Quinton
Terracotta Army

Reply #1315 on: December 06, 2010, 11:07:31 AM

bhodi

No lie.

Reply #1316 on: December 06, 2010, 02:26:50 PM

An integrated sip stack! Now only if I could convince my bosses it'd be worth selling sip accounts for use on android.

NFC tech is absurdly useful, if could ever get traction. Sadly, I'm not sure it will.
ffc
Terracotta Army

Reply #1317 on: December 06, 2010, 02:57:49 PM

As part of the Nexus brand, Nexus S delivers what we call a “pure Google” experience: unlocked, unfiltered access to the best Google mobile services and the latest and greatest Android releases and updates.

Here's side-by-side specs of the Nexus One and Nexus S.  No removable storage is odd but 16GB is where I would top out instead of a 32GB microsd card anyway.  The Nexus line offering clean Android installs not subject to the manufacturer/carrier letting the phone die by refusing to (timely) push out updates is going to be my Android preference.  IIRC, Samsung was guilty of this with an older Android phone. 

With the Nexus S on T-Mobile (no contract T-Mobile plans are cheaaaap) I'm one sim card change away which may be too tempting to pass up.  If it was available straight from Google there is no way I could have stopped myself from clicking until I was $530 poorer which is exactly what happened with my Nexus One.
Quinton
Terracotta Army

Reply #1318 on: December 06, 2010, 10:33:14 PM

An integrated sip stack! Now only if I could convince my bosses it'd be worth selling sip accounts for use on android.

NFC tech is absurdly useful, if could ever get traction. Sadly, I'm not sure it will.

1. Put NFC in millions of smartphones
2. ?
3. Profit

We actually have some more concrete plans, but getting the hardware out there is an important step.  There are a *lot* of cool things you can do with it beyond just tag scanning and payments.
Quinton
Terracotta Army

Reply #1319 on: December 07, 2010, 01:48:29 AM

Some video of Andy Rubin talking about Android, Google Maps Mobile 5 (vectors! caching!), and showing off a sneak peek at a development build of Honeycomb on prototype tablet hardware:
http://video.allthingsd.com/video/google-andy-rubin-with-motorola-tablet-prototype/4BAACA69-E8CD-4120-BE7C-DD8703C3FEEA

More general Android interview stuff (no demos):
http://video.allthingsd.com/video/google-andy-rubin-highlights-at-dive-into-mobile/D2214853-E3EB-44B0-B641-47DB98994533

Some stills here:
http://www.crunchgear.com/2010/12/07/video-and-screenshots-of-the-motopad-with-android-3-0/
« Last Edit: December 07, 2010, 01:50:23 AM by Quinton »
KallDrexx
Terracotta Army

Reply #1320 on: December 07, 2010, 05:22:53 AM

I thought Gingerbread was supposed to have a major UI overhaul.  So far from what I am seeing, I'm pretty underwhelmed.  Do any of the UI changes help actually address the horrible issue of UI inconsistencies between apps?  And does the stock launcher still stutter like hell.  I find these more important than SIP and NFC personally.

Although the new copy/paste bars mean I can actually copy and paste without wanting to throw my phone across the room (well maybe, depending on how it handles multiple lines)
« Last Edit: December 07, 2010, 05:26:26 AM by KallDrexx »
Quinton
Terracotta Army

Reply #1321 on: December 07, 2010, 01:16:47 PM

Rumors are different than announced features.

Gingerbread includes significant performance work, which improves responsiveness across the board, and a lot of improvements to the SDK/NDK/runtime which should simply and improve performance of games and other apps that care about low latency.  There are a lot of small improvements to look and feel, and a lot of incremental improvements to the OS, but no, 2.3 is not a major UI overhaul.
MahrinSkel
Terracotta Army

Reply #1322 on: December 07, 2010, 04:11:03 PM

I thought Gingerbread was supposed to have a major UI overhaul.  So far from what I am seeing, I'm pretty underwhelmed.  Do any of the UI changes help actually address the horrible issue of UI inconsistencies between apps?  And does the stock launcher still stutter like hell.  I find these more important than SIP and NFC personally.

Although the new copy/paste bars mean I can actually copy and paste without wanting to throw my phone across the room (well maybe, depending on how it handles multiple lines)
Strangely enough, there is more UI consistency between low-end apps built by 1 man shops than there is between major commercial apps.  The small shop uses XML-based UI that looks almost exactly like the core functionality, while the larger operations try to differentiate themselves by coding up their own UI in Java.

--Dave

--Signature Unclear
NiX
Wiki Admin

Locomotive Pandamonium

Reply #1323 on: December 07, 2010, 09:08:04 PM

Quinton, why does Google hate Canada?
Quinton
Terracotta Army

Reply #1324 on: December 07, 2010, 10:53:06 PM

Quinton, why does Google hate Canada?

Is this about Nexus S availability or are we oppressing Canada in some other way recently?  If the former, I hope to see NS in more markets beyond US/UK in the future, but we don't pre-announce that sort of thing, usually.
Quinton
Terracotta Army

Reply #1325 on: December 07, 2010, 10:54:47 PM

Strangely enough, there is more UI consistency between low-end apps built by 1 man shops than there is between major commercial apps.  The small shop uses XML-based UI that looks almost exactly like the core functionality, while the larger operations try to differentiate themselves by coding up their own UI in Java.

I assumed he was talking about UI inconsistencies between *our* apps, which honestly, is kinda embarrassing in places.  We're certainly due for a system-wide look'n'feel overhaul, but this was not something on the table for 2.3.
KallDrexx
Terracotta Army

Reply #1326 on: December 08, 2010, 05:33:25 AM

I assumed he was talking about UI inconsistencies between *our* apps, which honestly, is kinda embarrassing in places.  We're certainly due for a system-wide look'n'feel overhaul, but this was not something on the table for 2.3.

Yeah that, and a gallery app that doesn't suck for what a gallery is meant to do (e.g. organize photos)
rattran

Unreasonable

Reply #1327 on: December 08, 2010, 08:03:40 AM

Gallery is my only continual annoyance on the Droid. It's pretty wonky at the best of times.
Quinton
Terracotta Army

Reply #1328 on: December 08, 2010, 12:16:42 PM

Yeah that, and a gallery app that doesn't suck for what a gallery is meant to do (e.g. organize photos)

The stock gallery app needs to die.  I'm surprised there are no third party replacements -- there's a ton of room for improvement and I can't think of any reason why everyone is waiting for us to fix it.  Not that we shouldn't fix it, it sucks, just that I'd expect others to fill the vacuum.
rattran

Unreasonable

Reply #1329 on: December 08, 2010, 01:42:07 PM

I can only think because it's so bad, everyone expects you to fix it Real Soon™ and doesn't bother making a different one.
Pages: 1 ... 36 37 [38] 39 40 ... 74 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Topic: Android!  
Jump to: