Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 08, 2024, 04:28:52 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Topic: Android! 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 74 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Android!  (Read 818332 times)
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #385 on: November 09, 2009, 12:11:52 PM

I like how Verizon's "unlimited" data plan has a 5 GB/month cap. Fucking marketing people. Ohhhhh, I see.

(5 GB/month is a lot, I'm just complaining about the misinformation).
I thought AT&T does the exact same thing. 
They don't, at least not for the iPhone. "Enterprise" devices like the BlackBerry do have caps.
KallDrexx
Terracotta Army

Reply #386 on: November 09, 2009, 01:32:44 PM

I like how Verizon's "unlimited" data plan has a 5 GB/month cap. Fucking marketing people. Ohhhhh, I see.

(5 GB/month is a lot, I'm just complaining about the misinformation).

old news.  All carriers have the 5gb fine print.  There was a huge stint on the Pre boards because of it on Sprint as well.  The fact is though that unless you abuse it to retarded extents, they won't do anything.  I've gone over 5gb of data on my Pre every month since I've had it due to Pandora and I have yet to have a problem.
snowwy
Terracotta Army

Reply #387 on: November 09, 2009, 05:12:21 PM

So a thought ....The Google-maps gps looks fantastic, but only available in the US so far. If/when they ever port this to Europe , I think i'd rather leave this baby in my pocket if i decided to take the car on a ride down the continent.
The roaming-charges would be hilarious. Or did I misunderstand the whole thing and it actually uses satelites also?
caladein
Terracotta Army

Reply #388 on: November 10, 2009, 02:45:13 AM

If it works like Google Maps app on other phones: it uses your phone's GPS (or cell tower triangulation) for location but the maps and directions are all over your data connection (except for a bit of caching).

"Point being, they can't make everyone happy, so I hope they pick me." -Ingmar
"OH MY GOD WE'RE SURROUNDED SEND FOR BACKUP DIG IN DEFENSIVE POSITIONS MAN YOUR NECKBEARDS" -tgr
Ghambit
Terracotta Army

Reply #389 on: November 11, 2009, 07:07:49 PM

I just got back from ATT and Verizon since I'm phone shopping and the 'rola Droid kicks all asses.  The speed is the main thing I noticed, coupled with the shear amount of freedom you have with apps.  The FREE GPS navigation is a big plus, because systems like Blackberry charge an extra $10/month for the same features.  Not only that, but it wont be difficult to dev. your own navigation apps for various other uses, like Marine or Aviation, etc.

Note:  Verizon now has a "buy one Blackberry, get another phone of equal or lesser value free" promotion.  Sooo, you can buy a BB Storm2, etc. for the wifey and get an HTC Eris for free.  I will say the HTC is a better construction than the 'rola Droid (as usual, Motorola builds shoddily)...  but the power of the droid over the pure is noticeable, albeit the Eris is still better than a BB imo.

And obviously, tethering a Verizon phone, specifically a droid (which will have greater bandwidth and wider 3G coverage) makes more sense at $30/month rather than being stuck with a Blackberry from ATT and data/tethering for $60.  Note:  iphone cant tether as of yet.

BUUUUUUUUUT, word on the street is the 1GHz smartphones will be out for the holidays this year.  So, I may wait until then... kinda dumb going entry on a proc. half the speed of a Snapdragon.  And you can pretty much guarantee the Snapdragon entry prices wont be more than $300.  For an xtra $100 I'll gladly wait for the extra power.

"See, the beauty of webgames is that I can play them on my phone while I'm plowing your mom."  -Samwise
Salamok
Terracotta Army

Reply #390 on: November 11, 2009, 09:55:55 PM

I will say the HTC is a better construction than the 'rola Droid (as usual, Motorola builds shoddily)...
I always was under the impression that HTC churned out some pretty shitty build quality phones (hence the new model every 2 weeks), maybe I need to take another look.

And obviously, tethering a Verizon phone, specifically a droid (which will have greater bandwidth and wider 3G coverage) makes more sense at $30/month rather than being stuck with a Blackberry from ATT and data/tethering for $60.  Note:  iphone cant tether as of yet.
I have read quite a few conflicting articles on tethering the droid 1 was as you describe and acted like it was available now then there is this  that states early next year for $15 a month.  Anyone out there actually went down to a store and asked them what is available right now?
Ghambit
Terracotta Army

Reply #391 on: November 12, 2009, 08:15:06 AM

They made it seem like tethering was avilable now, but given the intelligence level of the salespeople I'm pretty sure now that it was for a different phone.

"See, the beauty of webgames is that I can play them on my phone while I'm plowing your mom."  -Samwise
Cheddar
I like pink

Noob Sauce

Reply #392 on: November 13, 2009, 01:04:40 PM

Posting from my droid. 

No Nerf, but I put a link to this very thread and I said that you all can guarantee for my purity. I even mentioned your case, and see if they can take a look at your lawn from a Michigan perspective.
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #393 on: November 13, 2009, 04:15:19 PM

I hate you. You too, Yeg.

Damnit. I can resist.

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
Salamok
Terracotta Army

Reply #394 on: November 16, 2009, 07:33:02 AM

Sprint 4g available in Austin now, is there a decent android 2.0 phone in the pipe for Sprint?  My contract with AT&T is up in 4 months.
KallDrexx
Terracotta Army

Reply #395 on: November 16, 2009, 07:44:29 AM

Does sprint even have any 4g phones?  Last I looked all of them were 4g compatable but not 4g capable (i.e. they can connect to 4g networks but not get 4g speeds).
Salamok
Terracotta Army

Reply #396 on: November 16, 2009, 10:23:15 AM

Does sprint even have any 4g phones?  Last I looked all of them were 4g compatable but not 4g capable (i.e. they can connect to 4g networks but not get 4g speeds).

If they don't I would imagine they will very shortly. The 4g speeds almost make my dream of eliminating wired internet service a reality.  I wonder what the caps are on the unlimited plan?  At 3-6mbs I doubt they hold to the traditional 5gb limit.
KallDrexx
Terracotta Army

Reply #397 on: November 16, 2009, 10:35:00 AM

If they don't I would imagine they will very shortly. The 4g speeds almost make my dream of eliminating wired internet service a reality.  I wonder what the caps are on the unlimited plan?  At 3-6mbs I doubt they hold to the traditional 5gb limit.

Interestingly enough sprint's website says that 4G is unlimited but 3G is limited to 5gb. 
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #398 on: November 16, 2009, 11:41:29 AM

Sprint has a 4G USB modem for connecting your computer.

Samsung is supposedly working on a 4G Android phone but who knows when that will be available?
Ghambit
Terracotta Army

Reply #399 on: November 17, 2009, 03:23:20 PM

A marketing rep. for At&T told me to hold off on buying ANYTHING from AT&T (or anyone for that matter) until february 2010.  I believe that probably coincides with some kind of 4G Android phone they have in the works.  Technically, she was violating NDAs telling me this info. actually.  There's a reason they're giving away iPhones and Blackberrys right now.

In other news, most of the AT&T salespeople have Verizon.    awesome, for real

Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #400 on: November 18, 2009, 06:23:37 AM

My advice is to hold off on buying anything from AT+T until... death.  Yours or theirs.

Is it too early to complain about the Android Market?

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
They called it The Prayer, its answer was law
Mommy come back 'cause the water's all gone
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #401 on: November 18, 2009, 06:42:42 AM

No, complain away as it will keep me from buying a cell phone.   11 years clean!

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
sidereal
Contributor

Reply #402 on: November 18, 2009, 08:22:11 PM

Just pre-ordered a Nook.  Good times.

THIS IS THE MOST I HAVE EVERY WANTED TO GET IN TO A BETA
Cheddar
I like pink

Noob Sauce

Reply #403 on: November 19, 2009, 04:28:13 AM

I love the Droid.  Browing is almost instant and there are some awesome widgets.  I got 1 for the weather from weather.com and with a simple press it gives me hourly, 36 hour, or 10 day forecast.  Also it automatically updates for what area I am in.

I am still getting used to the music player, which I also love.  One neat feature is it will turn off when I unplug the stereo jack - very nice feature.

No Nerf, but I put a link to this very thread and I said that you all can guarantee for my purity. I even mentioned your case, and see if they can take a look at your lawn from a Michigan perspective.
Segoris
Terracotta Army

Reply #404 on: November 19, 2009, 12:31:17 PM

I am still getting used to the music player, which I also love.  One neat feature is it will turn off when I unplug the stereo jack - very nice feature.

Weird, my music player keeps playing, after unplugging it, until I shut it off or pause the music player. Also, the screen's sleep timer isn't staying. Are you using the default player or did you download one of the apps?

Another thing, I keep setting it to 1 minute until it sleeps and it returns to the default 15 seconds from time to time.

Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #405 on: November 19, 2009, 12:50:47 PM

I don't know how to turn off virtual-keyboard clicking.  I think it was off when I got it but I don't know how I turned it on.  Or if I did.

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
Segoris
Terracotta Army

Reply #406 on: November 19, 2009, 01:12:26 PM

I don't know how to turn off virtual-keyboard clicking.  I think it was off when I got it but I don't know how I turned it on.  Or if I did.

The only setting I know for that is in the following area: Settings->Language & Keyboard->Android Keyboard (Onscreen Keyboard Settings)->Uncheck Sound on Keypress. Other then that, I don't know of any settings on the default phone and don't know if there is an app that may have something to do with it.
Cheddar
I like pink

Noob Sauce

Reply #407 on: November 19, 2009, 05:30:32 PM

Weird, my music player keeps playing, after unplugging it, until I shut it off or pause the music player. Also, the screen's sleep timer isn't staying. Are you using the default player or did you download one of the apps?

Another thing, I keep setting it to 1 minute until it sleeps and it returns to the default 15 seconds from time to time.

Default.  I like it.  I really have not done much modifying beyond the default settings - they seem to work just fine for me.

Viin
Terracotta Army

Reply #408 on: November 19, 2009, 05:47:47 PM

I love the Droid.  Browing is almost instant and there are some awesome widgets.  I got 1 for the weather from weather.com and with a simple press it gives me hourly, 36 hour, or 10 day forecast.  Also it automatically updates for what area I am in.

Not that I don't think that's cool and all (it is), but it sounds remarkably like the iPhone. Maybe we'll see some divergence in 6 months?

- Viin
Prospero
Terracotta Army

Reply #409 on: November 19, 2009, 07:43:13 PM

What would you like to see change? Not trolling, I'm honestly curious. I have an iPhone and outside some control issues on Apple's part I like the hardware and software design. Right now it seems like there isn't much room for hardware differentiation in the industry, outside of speed upgrades and additional sensors. For data oriented phones like the droid you need as much screen space as possible. That kind of limits your basic design to a) one giant screen or b) one giant screen with a keyboard attached.

It seems like until we get malleable OLED displays the industry is going to be hard pressed to something different with form factor while still supporting data rich phones.

On the software front, it seems that the constraints for developers are pretty similar on both platforms. Google has better hooks into its services which is a good thing, and the Android store is more open so we should see some better apps there. Still, I'm not seeing a ton of room for differentiation. I think that is one of the reasons APple is cleaning house; they have a solid piece of hardware with reasonable software support like everyone else, but they have the iPod/iTunes brand which gives them a big leg up on the competition. Google has a very strong brand as well, but doesn't have the hardware reputation to drive sales.

Supposedly Google has their own handset coming out in the next couple months. Hopefully that shakes up the industry a bit.
Viin
Terracotta Army

Reply #410 on: November 19, 2009, 07:51:50 PM

I'm not looking for anything earth shattering, I just don't see anything that would have me switch from my already better-than-most-others iPhone. (The only thing I can think of that would cause me to want to switch would be to get on a different carrier).

I do hope to see some uses of the hardware that aren't possible on the iPhone due to Apple's draconian rules, so there is hope for that.

Right now the Droid is a "me too" phone, which is great we need that.

I don't have an answer to your question, I'm just asking (hoping, mostly) for a reason to toilet the iPhone.

- Viin
Quinton
Terracotta Army

is saving up his raid points for a fancy board title

Reply #411 on: November 19, 2009, 09:02:24 PM

iPhone had a 13 month lead (initial launch between iPhone and G1) and definitely had the early sales advantage from their large  following of computing/consumer device enthusiasts.  We're starting to see some nice diversity in Android devices, and they're now shipping on 3 of the top 4 US carriers.  Some fun stuff is still in the pipe.  2010 is going to be an entertaining year, I think.
schild
Administrator

Reply #412 on: November 19, 2009, 09:28:53 PM

The App store and such will pick up for Android, undoubtedly, when:

1. The iPhone market is so saturated and at such a low price-point, that people just stop making stuff for it.
2. This is probably the most important because it will never happen - the droid based phones need to become as homogeneous as PCs. That is to say, will stuff on one phone (say the current G1) work well on a snapdragon phone? Or the Droid? Or vice versa. There's a schism in the perceptions of the marketplace.
3. People stop making fucking apps with programmer art.

Seriously, the Android apps are - in general - so goddamn ugly and poorly that there's no need to guess as to why I haven't spent a dime in the Android app store and I have over 80 games on my iPod Touch. It also doesn't help that the best apps are free. When people see that, why would they want to make stuff for Android?
Prospero
Terracotta Army

Reply #413 on: November 19, 2009, 10:02:42 PM

Yeah, Android phones are a bitch develop for I hear. The lack of standardized hardware makes dealing with three versions of iPhone comparatively pleasant.
schild
Administrator

Reply #414 on: November 19, 2009, 10:26:36 PM

Yeah, Android phones are a bitch develop for I hear. The lack of standardized hardware makes dealing with three versions of iPhone comparatively pleasant.
Also, total lack of graphics acceleration and - unless I'm mistaken, which I probably am - there's actually more stuff that needs to run in the background than there is on the iPhone. Or at least, it seems as though the games and such aren't as quarantined off on Android as they are on the iPhone.

That said, as a phone, Android >>>> iPhone for me. As a gaming/app system? For now, keeping my iPod touch - unfortunately.
Prospero
Terracotta Army

Reply #415 on: November 19, 2009, 10:46:35 PM

What does do better as a phone? I've never played with one. Standing in a Verizon store gives me hives.
schild
Administrator

Reply #416 on: November 19, 2009, 10:48:24 PM

What does do better as a phone? I've never played with one. Standing in a Verizon store gives me hives.
Mine has a keyboard and my ear makes the screen less icky looking than an iPhone when I use it. Also, it feels like a phone instead of a designer piece of chrome.

Ow, that rhymed.

Anyway, I also <3 the google apps integration. Basically, everything that google is a big part of is great (except when HTC makes design choices to the phone itself). Everything a third party developer is a part of is pretty much canned ass.

Oh, and it needs better google docs integration, but I'm sure that's coming.
Prospero
Terracotta Army

Reply #417 on: November 19, 2009, 10:53:18 PM

K, so I'm not missing much. I do live la vida Google, so better integration on that front would be nice. If someone can be bothered to make a piece of kit that's as nice as the iPhone I might jump ship. The droid is decidedly not a contender on that front. I may be a software issue but watching a couple people at work try to use their phones has been agonizing. Gestures seemed to work for shit and even basic taps weren't being recognized.
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #418 on: November 20, 2009, 09:07:43 AM

The only setting I know for that is in the following area: Settings->Language & Keyboard->Android Keyboard (Onscreen Keyboard Settings)->Uncheck Sound on Keypress. Other then that, I don't know of any settings on the default phone and don't know if there is an app that may have something to do with it.

Facepalm

That was where I had found it before.  Coupled with Sound & display settings -> Audible Selection, I no longer sound like a secretary from a noir film.

Quinton
Terracotta Army

is saving up his raid points for a fancy board title

Reply #419 on: November 20, 2009, 09:33:30 AM

Also, total lack of graphics acceleration and - unless I'm mistaken, which I probably am - there's actually more stuff that needs to run in the background than there is on the iPhone. Or at least, it seems as though the games and such aren't as quarantined off on Android as they are on the iPhone.

Total lack of graphics acceleration?

G1/Dream/myTouch/Hero/etc (the MSM72xx based devices) have OpenGL ES 1.0 and not a bad little GPU.

Droid has OpenGL ES 2.0 and also not a bad little GPU.
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 74 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Topic: Android!  
Jump to: