Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 08, 2024, 05:25:25 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Topic: Android! 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 74 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Android!  (Read 818334 times)
IainC
Developers

Wargaming.net

Reply #175 on: February 26, 2009, 08:57:57 AM

So I bought one of these today. Feels nice, seems to work well. A few minor gripes but nothing that makes me want to throw it at the wall yet. The Mrs got an iphone, will be interesting to directly compare the two in actual use.

- And in stranger Iains, even Death may die -

SerialForeigner Photography.
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

a polyamorous pansexual genderqueer born and living in the wrong country

Reply #176 on: March 09, 2009, 06:07:21 AM

So I bought one of these today. The Mrs got an iphone, will be interesting to directly compare the two in actual use.

I was about to make a new thread, but resurrecting this will do just fine.

Is there anything pretty much like the iPhone but not the iPhone?

I know NOTHING about these things. Would you please list me a few competitive/similar products and what they have or don't have compared to the iPhone?

And strictly to topic, and the quoted text, time for your report Iain.

schild
Administrator

Reply #177 on: March 09, 2009, 06:08:18 AM

Is there anything pretty much like the iPhone but not the iPhone?

Oh, wait, I know this one.

Android.
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

Reply #178 on: March 09, 2009, 06:16:03 AM

Apparently, and why I am not surprised?, the G1 has yet to be released in Crap-Taly. Would be in a few months, but still unavailable. Teehee  why so serious?

And yes, why ask something that was answered in the very same 6 pages thread? I was lazy, in a rush and redundant.

TripleDES
Terracotta Army

Reply #179 on: March 09, 2009, 06:28:57 AM

If you aren't opposed to onscreen keyboards, the HTC G2 looks actually pretty good. If your mobile provider is partially owned by Vodafone (like Proximus here in Belgium), you'll be able to get your hands on these.

EVE (inactive): Deakin Frost -- APB (fukken dead): Kayleigh (on Patriot).
Quinton
Terracotta Army

is saving up his raid points for a fancy board title

Reply #180 on: March 09, 2009, 11:32:52 PM

If you aren't opposed to onscreen keyboards, the HTC G2 looks actually pretty good. If your mobile provider is partially owned by Vodafone (like Proximus here in Belgium), you'll be able to get your hands on these.

Been using one as my primary for a couple months now.  I do miss the hard keyboard at times, but love the feel of the device (smaller, thinner, more comfortable to hold as a phone).  HTC's actually calling this Magic (G1 is a t-mobile name, not an HTC name).  Also: more flash storage, larger battery.

http://www.htc.com/www/product/magic/specification.html
sidereal
Contributor

Reply #181 on: March 10, 2009, 08:40:36 AM

Hm.  Need a keyboard.  No sale!

THIS IS THE MOST I HAVE EVERY WANTED TO GET IN TO A BETA
schild
Administrator

Reply #182 on: March 10, 2009, 08:41:09 AM

Hm.  Need a keyboard.  No sale!

Then just get the G1?
sidereal
Contributor

Reply #183 on: March 10, 2009, 08:42:22 AM

I got one on launch day.  Read the thread, yo!

I'd be willing to pay for an upgrade, but losing the keyboard is a downgrade.

schild
Administrator

Reply #184 on: March 10, 2009, 08:43:07 AM

I'd be willing to pay for an upgrade, but losing the keyboard is a downgrade.

/agree
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

Reply #185 on: March 10, 2009, 10:52:25 AM

But but

G1 vs iPhone?

Me needs a graph.

sidereal
Contributor

Reply #186 on: March 10, 2009, 11:05:34 AM

schild
Administrator

Reply #187 on: March 10, 2009, 02:01:50 PM

But but

G1 vs iPhone?

Me needs a graph.
The G1 has a keyboard.

The iPhone has Zenbound.

This is all I would base my purchases on.
IainC
Developers

Wargaming.net

Reply #188 on: March 10, 2009, 02:49:38 PM

I used to think I wanted an iPhone until I got myself a G1 and an iPhone for the wife. There's no way I'd swap with her after road testing them side by side for a week or so.

- And in stranger Iains, even Death may die -

SerialForeigner Photography.
Venkman
Terracotta Army

Reply #189 on: March 10, 2009, 07:43:19 PM

I have been exactly the reverse.

Falc, it'd be easier if you explained what you wanted to do with it first.

Also, don't consider this a lifelong commitment. "Android" is "G1" today, but who knows a year from now? Meanwhile, the only improvements Apple is likely to make is a better springboard to organize the icons (because after you have seven pages of icons, you realize just how limited the current springboard/desktop is). So think not about the one true phone that will rule them all forever more. Think more about the phone you want to jerk around for the next year or so.
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #190 on: March 10, 2009, 08:28:12 PM

I have been exactly the reverse.

Falc, it'd be easier if you explained what you wanted to do with it first.

Also, don't consider this a lifelong commitment. "Android" is "G1" today, but who knows a year from now? Meanwhile, the only improvements Apple is likely to make is a better springboard to organize the icons (because after you have seven pages of icons, you realize just how limited the current springboard/desktop is). So think not about the one true phone that will rule them all forever more. Think more about the phone you want to jerk around for the next year or so.
Huh? Apple is *constantly* updating its OSes including the iPhone OS.
Quinton
Terracotta Army

Reply #191 on: March 11, 2009, 03:29:02 AM

I'd say the likelyhood of Apple licensing their OS to other OEMs is pretty near zero, which will limit the options as far as hardware goes to the models Apple currently ships at any given time.  Of course if you're into the iLifeStyle thing and think Steve can do no wrong, this is probably just fine.  What happens in a possible post-Steve Apple?  Hard to say.
Righ
Terracotta Army

Teaching the world Google-fu one broken dream at a time.

Reply #192 on: March 11, 2009, 07:08:24 AM

So what you're saying is that the Apple CEO is surely DYING, and that you're simply bringing this up to help consumers make an unbiased choice?

The camera adds a thousand barrels. - Steven Colbert
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

Reply #193 on: March 11, 2009, 10:27:59 AM

TURNS OUT WHAT COSTS AROUND 180$ IN THE US GOES FOR LIKE 500€ IN ITALY!

AM I PISSED? OH NO AM I? AM I?

Trippy
Administrator

Reply #194 on: March 11, 2009, 10:44:39 AM

I'd say the likelyhood of Apple licensing their OS to other OEMs is pretty near zero, which will limit the options as far as hardware goes to the models Apple currently ships at any given time.  Of course if you're into the iLifeStyle thing and think Steve can do no wrong, this is probably just fine.  What happens in a possible post-Steve Apple?  Hard to say.
Oh I agree on the hardware part but this is what Darniaq said:
Meanwhile, the only improvements Apple is likely to make is a better springboard to organize the icons
Basically claiming that Apple has stopped development on the iPhone OS.
Quinton
Terracotta Army

Reply #195 on: March 11, 2009, 10:07:09 PM

So what you're saying is that the Apple CEO is surely DYING, and that you're simply bringing this up to help consumers make an unbiased choice?

As has already been pointed out, you should buy whatever works for you today, for surely next year there will be all sorts of new gadgets from many manufacturers to choose from. 

Apple, as run by Steve today, is not an Apple that will license its OS to others (gives up way too much control over the experience) or give up control of the experience (which many people consider to be a good thing!).  That's pretty much all I'm saying.
Quinton
Terracotta Army

Reply #196 on: March 11, 2009, 10:09:23 PM

Meanwhile, the only improvements Apple is likely to make is a better springboard to organize the icons

I agree that it seems absurdly unlikely that Apple has just decided to stop work on osx-for-iphone and there won't be any big changes in the experience.  Though what I'm most interested in is if they get the stuff under the hood improved -- better stability, a way of dealing with multiple apps and/or background tasks, etc.
Hindenburg
Terracotta Army

Itto

Reply #197 on: March 12, 2009, 05:21:01 AM

TURNS OUT WHAT COSTS AROUND 180$ IN THE US GOES FOR LIKE 500€ IN ITALY!

AM I PISSED? OH NO AM I? AM I?

That'd be because you're trying to buy an unlocked cell phone. Buy locked and unlock yourself.

"Who uses Outlook anyway?  People who get what they deserve, that's who." - Ard.
sidereal
Contributor

Reply #198 on: March 12, 2009, 11:14:27 AM

I think the "Apple Is (Evil|Jesus)" thread is in Politics.

Jeff Kelly
Terracotta Army

I'm an apathetic, hedonistic, utilitarian, nihilistic existentialist.

Reply #199 on: March 13, 2009, 02:07:39 AM

For the 'Apple won't do new iPhone OS versions' crowd:

Apple to Preview iPhone OS 3.0 on March 17th
Quinton
Terracotta Army

Reply #200 on: March 13, 2009, 02:38:53 AM

Wow, they're going through major version numbers like nobody's business!
Draegan
Terracotta Army

Reply #201 on: March 25, 2009, 05:58:22 AM

schild you should try path of a warrior if you havnt already.  its entertaining.
schild
Administrator

Reply #202 on: March 25, 2009, 06:22:02 AM

The only game I play on any phone is Trap!
Venkman
Terracotta Army

Reply #203 on: March 28, 2009, 06:57:38 PM

I agree that it seems absurdly unlikely that Apple has just decided to stop work on osx-for-iphone and there won't be any big changes in the experience. 

Whoa. Crazy ass derail for a throwaway statement that was quoted without the whole "in the next year" part. My main point was that making a phone decision doesn't need to be a lifelong commitment because things can change and you can adapt. And coincidentally, it's even easier now that you can get an iPhone without said commitment.

I merely said that given its very nature, the Android platform is likely to see a lot more changes in the user experience than the iPhone one. And ironically since that point, what have we seen in the 3.0 firmware announcement? A whole bunch of shit that should have been in there in the first place, like: copy/paste, consistent use of landscape/portrait views, and a phone-wide search funciton. And worse, no damned Springboard improvement.

I don't like the G1 devices I've played with. They're slow, clunky, and I suppose the keyboard is mostly for folks used to Blackberries. But I feel that the pace Apple is moving to improve the underlying experience is slothful enough to be based entirely on "product/feature" rollout plans, and not because they're worried about any sort of competition. That's never a good thing.
schild
Administrator

Reply #204 on: March 28, 2009, 07:14:03 PM

Slow? Compared to what?
Righ
Terracotta Army

Teaching the world Google-fu one broken dream at a time.

Reply #205 on: March 30, 2009, 12:18:36 PM

not because they're worried about any sort of competition. That's never a good thing.

... for Apple. Historically at least, when Apple have tried to sit back and grow fat from their dominant market position, its resulted in them losing market share at a dizzying rate.

The camera adds a thousand barrels. - Steven Colbert
Venkman
Terracotta Army

Reply #206 on: April 03, 2009, 04:21:00 PM

Slow? Compared to what?

UI responsiveness in general. Feels like it takes just slightly longer to do anything, from shifting UI screens to launching a program. It reminds me of WoW responsiveness vs LoTRO responsiveness. My baseline is the iPhone, which has slow parts (Notes for example) but in general feels much more plucky.

But here again, I expect this to improve on the Android with firmware updates. Apparently the software isn't taking full advantage of the hardware capability. Haven't looked into it much, just what I've heard from folks who would know.
schild
Administrator

Reply #207 on: April 03, 2009, 05:15:50 PM

Slow? Compared to what?

UI responsiveness in general. Feels like it takes just slightly longer to do anything, from shifting UI screens to launching a program. It reminds me of WoW responsiveness vs LoTRO responsiveness. My baseline is the iPhone, which has slow parts (Notes for example) but in general feels much more plucky.

But here again, I expect this to improve on the Android with firmware updates. Apparently the software isn't taking full advantage of the hardware capability. Haven't looked into it much, just what I've heard from folks who would know.
It's your imagination. Some things, much like the iPhone are slow. But UI responsiveness? No, not really.
sigil
Terracotta Army

Reply #208 on: April 04, 2009, 03:17:53 PM

well, you have a sms messaging thread with say 700+ messages in it and  it gets a bit sluggish  DRILLING AND MANLINESS
Tebonas
Terracotta Army

Reply #209 on: April 09, 2009, 04:36:03 AM

Since I broke my Iphone and those fuckers wouldn't give me a new one till September I caved in and bought the G1 (needed a phone I can type SMS with RIGHT NOW, not in the 2 weeks they need for a repair). Assholes smelled my desparation and fleeced me for 450 Euros (Unlocked, so I can use it for trips abroad as well).

The UI is a bit less intuitive, but good enough. Any tips for must-have applications? Useable Podcatcher? Tips and Tricks for Iphone Switchers?
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 74 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Topic: Android!  
Jump to: