Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 03, 2024, 03:09:31 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Warhammer Online (Moderator: tazelbain)  |  Topic: High Level Armor Sets 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 Go Down Print
Author Topic: High Level Armor Sets  (Read 145047 times)
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Auto Assault Affectionado

Reply #140 on: October 24, 2008, 03:42:04 PM

My favorite words in the English language are "I told you so".

So I am glad once again to have a chance to use those words. This is pretty much *precisely* what I was trying to tell people during the beta who were saying, "Don't worry, the game isn't gear-dependent, and it won't be in the future, it's not designed that way." Gear dependent cockblocks are what devs do when they're cornered and have run out of ideas, or where the ideas they do have will be too expensive or too difficult to execute.

This isn't the right 'told-you-so' for what those people (or at least me) thought they were arguing about. The sort of gear dependency I was talking about personally in those threads was the difference between gear in DAOC and gear in WoW; while it mattered in both, in DAOC once you were at cap everyone kind of sat around the same territory stat-budget wise, as opposed to WoW where it keeps spiraling up to infinity.

This is just a out-of-nowhere bizarro you-must-have-an-Onyxia-cloak-for-Nefarian style thing, which isn't what I was talking about at all, and is, if anything, amazingly far more stupid than what the argument was about back then.

The Transcendent One: AH... THE ROGUE CONSTRUCT.
Nordom: Sense of closure: imminent.
Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #141 on: October 24, 2008, 03:46:34 PM

Does anyone have a link to these sets and their piece/set bonuses?  I think it's time to really start crunching numbers to determing the magnituded of the effect this will have on RvR (rather than just the 50% PvE bonus). 

"Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other."

-  Mark Twain
EWSpider
Terracotta Army

Reply #142 on: October 24, 2008, 03:48:07 PM

Rena is the current Animist Team Lead for DAoC.  Class TLs are given VIP status on the Vault and Rena just happened to change his colors to Red.  He probably shouldn't be allowed to use those colors, but whatever.  At any rate, there's a part of the TL program that is successful and has worked very well over the years.  Unfortunately what goes on with that part of the program will never be known to the public and they only get to see the less successful part of the program (TL Reports) and the TL interactions on the Vault and other forums.  The successful part (IMO) are Mythic's internal forums where Team Leads discuss game design with the DAoC developers.  I was the Infiltrator Team Lead for a few years before retiring from that position.  Retired class TLs are allowed to continue to participate on Mythic's internal forums, they simply no longer represent a specific class and are no longer asked to communicate with their class's community.  I'm still active as a retired Class TL on their forums and continue to enjoy the program.  I do agree however that asking the Class TLs to represent Mythic on external forums isn't the greatest idea.

most often known as Drevik
Tannhauser
Terracotta Army

Reply #143 on: October 24, 2008, 03:51:05 PM

I loved this game because it seemed a casual, fun MMO with great pvp.  Then I hit T3 and Tor Suckcock and I soured.

But all day at work I looked forward to playing  my SH and thinking FOR SURE Mythic would fix the game.

Instead I read this horse-shit about armor grinds?

I am off to cancel.  Fuck you Mythic.  I loved your game, the graphics, the UI, the lore, the setting, the magic items.  You were THIS close to a success!  God you missed it you fucking clueless, clown-molesting, child-beating, neanderthal, cock gobbling toad-humpers!

I play the Warhammer tabletop mini game!  I RUN a Warhammer RP campaign!  I am your goddam audience and I can't fucking wait to cancel!

Fuckit bye.  I got WoW, and LOTRO both new expansions.  I got SW and Fable II.
Epic.  Fail.
Ard
Terracotta Army

Reply #144 on: October 24, 2008, 04:07:53 PM

Does anyone have a link to these sets and their piece/set bonuses?  I think it's time to really start crunching numbers to determing the magnituded of the effect this will have on RvR (rather than just the 50% PvE bonus). 

I don't even think that's the issue so much as the king PQ being the major carrot for doing the rvr to begin with.  Until they work in something like darkness falls, or give some other major carrot for doing it, like giving a real reason to hold a keep, the values on the armor don't matter so much as that you need it to participate int he major reason to pvp to begin with.
Montague
Terracotta Army

Reply #145 on: October 24, 2008, 04:14:57 PM

I wonder if the invisible hand of EA is involved in this.  Even Jacobs can't be this stupid, can he?

That was my thought. This smells of Riccitello much more than MBJ, especially since I dont see Jacobs going around posting everywhere how fucking awesome this new change is.

When Fascism comes to America it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross - Sinclair Lewis.

I can tell more than 1 fucktard at a time to stfu, have no fears. - WayAbvPar

We all have the God-given right to go to hell our own way.  Don't fuck with God's plan. - MahrinSkel
schild
Administrator

Reply #146 on: October 24, 2008, 04:16:01 PM

How the hell does this sound more like Riccitello? Mythic already did this once with ToA?
Goreschach
Terracotta Army

Reply #147 on: October 24, 2008, 04:18:52 PM

I wonder if the invisible hand of EA is involved in this.  Even Jacobs can't be this stupid, can he?

That was my thought. This smells of Riccitello much more than MBJ, especially since I dont see Jacobs going around posting everywhere how fucking awesome this new change is.

That's some pretty absurd tinfoil shit. You really think he called up Mythic and said "Hey guys, you know that game you're doing? Yeah, that one. I rolled zerg, and the lag during Alt raids is getting pretty bad. Could you add some kind of arbitrary requirement to keep the noobs out? tia".
Righ
Terracotta Army

Teaching the world Google-fu one broken dream at a time.

Reply #148 on: October 24, 2008, 04:20:23 PM

This really is nonsense. I didn't like the odds when I was waiting for class items to drop as the highest attendance player in my class in a DKP guild in WoW. It involved hundreds of tedious clears. It will be worse in WAR with the nonsense PQ rolls and the asinine system of favoring the DPS classes. I'm not prepared to catass raid here or anywhere else any more. I'll continue to play for a while, but it looks like I've been shut out of the endgame.

WoW will get my bucks for WotLK because I know that the 70-80 and other new stuff will be good for a few weeks of fun at least. But the WoW 'endgame' is just as atrocious.

I'm very tempted to join Endie in GoonBat now.

The camera adds a thousand barrels. - Steven Colbert
Montague
Terracotta Army

Reply #149 on: October 24, 2008, 04:22:40 PM

How the hell does this sound more like Riccitello? Mythic already did this once with ToA?

A pollyanna-ish hope that the lead designer of a AAA MMO wasn't certifiably insane/mentally retarded?

When Fascism comes to America it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross - Sinclair Lewis.

I can tell more than 1 fucktard at a time to stfu, have no fears. - WayAbvPar

We all have the God-given right to go to hell our own way.  Don't fuck with God's plan. - MahrinSkel
Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #150 on: October 24, 2008, 04:24:45 PM

A pollyanna-ish hope that the lead designer of a AAA MMO wasn't certifiably insane/mentally retarded?

McQuaid... check

Garriot... check

Who's next?

"Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other."

-  Mark Twain
Righ
Terracotta Army

Reply #151 on: October 24, 2008, 04:28:24 PM

McQuaid... check

Garriot... check

Who's next?

How the fuck does Jennings expect us to take his moniker seriously when he's less barmy than any of his peers?

d4rkj3di
Terracotta Army

Reply #152 on: October 24, 2008, 04:32:52 PM

I play the Warhammer tabletop mini game!  I RUN a Warhammer RP campaign!  I am your goddam audience and I can't fucking wait to cancel!
This is where you made your biggest mistake. You are not the audience they wanted playing WAR. You are the audience they wanted to keep out, if possible. They don't want a bunch of players going on and on about tabletop rules and shortcuts and lore. They want 1 million MMO players, picked from the corpse of whatever game they have just lost interest in, be that WoW or LOTRO or EQ2.

Hardcore Warhammer fans are not the target audience for this game, pissed-off and bored WoW players are.
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #153 on: October 24, 2008, 04:41:24 PM

My favorite words in the English language are "I told you so".

So I am glad once again to have a chance to use those words. This is pretty much *precisely* what I was trying to tell people during the beta who were saying, "Don't worry, the game isn't gear-dependent, and it won't be in the future, it's not designed that way." Gear dependent cockblocks are what devs do when they're cornered and have run out of ideas, or where the ideas they do have will be too expensive or too difficult to execute.

This isn't the right 'told-you-so' for what those people (or at least me) thought they were arguing about. The sort of gear dependency I was talking about personally in those threads was the difference between gear in DAOC and gear in WoW; while it mattered in both, in DAOC once you were at cap everyone kind of sat around the same territory stat-budget wise, as opposed to WoW where it keeps spiraling up to infinity.

This is just a out-of-nowhere bizarro you-must-have-an-Onyxia-cloak-for-Nefarian style thing, which isn't what I was talking about at all, and is, if anything, amazingly far more stupid than what the argument was about back then.

My point was that something like TOA happens because developers come up against design problems that they find too hard, too complicated or too expensive to solve, and so they insert a gear-dependent block of some kind in the game that is designed in their view to suck up catass energies. It doesn't matter where exactly that catass gear is inserted into the design, really. And you guys said, "Oh, that's not an inevitable part of Diku design, and Mythic is really clear that this isn't part of the vision for Warhammer."
Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #154 on: October 24, 2008, 04:55:06 PM

And, unfortunately for me, there doesn't seem to be anything in the relatively near future that I'm interested in. 

Dammit. 

My Sig Image: hath rid itself of this mortal coil.
khaine
Terracotta Army

Reply #155 on: October 24, 2008, 05:01:26 PM

McQuaid... check

Garriot... check

Who's next?

Surely Bowman at least gets a mention in there , I only tried Horizons for one day at launch , and quickly got the message when they used pron signup page for membership management , but still , Bowman did some epic crazy posts on forums that entertained me for hours

Definitely not the McQuaid-opium epic level , but still entertaining nonetheless

raydeen
Terracotta Army

Reply #156 on: October 24, 2008, 05:03:37 PM

There is only one man who could possibly top them all if he wanted...

DEREK SMART!!!!

BATTLECRUISER ONLINE UNIVERSE!!!!!

I was drinking when I wrote this, so sue me if it goes astray.
gimpyone
Terracotta Army

Reply #157 on: October 24, 2008, 05:05:27 PM

DEREK SMART!!!!

What have you done?
Righ
Terracotta Army

Reply #158 on: October 24, 2008, 05:07:57 PM

Surely Bowman at least gets a mention in there

Don't forget that before Bowman there was the High Priest of batshit insane developers, David Allen.

Simond
Terracotta Army

Reply #159 on: October 24, 2008, 05:14:05 PM

And, unfortunately for me, there doesn't seem to be anything in the relatively near future that I'm interested in. 

Dammit. 
Nice emoticon.

"You're really a good person, aren't you? So, there's no path for you to take here. Go home. This isn't a place for someone like you."
khaine
Terracotta Army

Reply #160 on: October 24, 2008, 05:14:20 PM

Surely Bowman at least gets a mention in there

Don't forget that before Bowman there was the High Priest of batshit insane developers, David Allen.

Damn had forgot about him ,

So a Mmorpg company with Allen , Bowman , Garriot , at it's core , McQuaid managing the financing and hiring/firing , and MJ as the PR man ,

This , would be quite a reality TV show I would actually enjoy watching

raydeen
Terracotta Army

Reply #161 on: October 24, 2008, 05:14:35 PM

DEREK SMART!!!!

What have you done?

Doomed humanity. It seemed like a good idea at the time.

I was drinking when I wrote this, so sue me if it goes astray.
Nevermore
Terracotta Army

Reply #162 on: October 24, 2008, 05:14:59 PM

I was the Infiltrator Team Lead for a few years before retiring from that position.

I don't believe you, you don't seem like enough of a douchbag.  Let's see some Paladin TL level insanity, then maybe I'll believe you.  why so serious?

Over and out.
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #163 on: October 24, 2008, 05:32:26 PM

The grab bag says you need all seven pieces of a particular armour set to take part in a King encounter.

That so utterly retarded that it must either be an error, or be something that will get changed when everyone points out that it fails the HAM test ie...

The HAM test for MMOG mechanics

Is "you need all seven pieces of a particular armour set to take part in a King encounter" more retarded than pistol damage not stacking with rifle damage?

I'd have to say Yes.

"People will not assume that what they read on the internet is trustworthy or that it carries any particular ­assurance or accuracy" - Lord Leveson
"Hyperbole is a cancer" - Lakov Sanite
Nevermore
Terracotta Army

Reply #164 on: October 24, 2008, 05:47:57 PM

zomg schild quoting nancy, my worlds, they collide

We aren't quite there.  No one has called this 'A SLAP IN THE FACE!' yet.

Over and out.
EWSpider
Terracotta Army

Reply #165 on: October 24, 2008, 05:49:57 PM

I was the Infiltrator Team Lead for a few years before retiring from that position.

I don't believe you, you don't seem like enough of a douchbag.  Let's see some Paladin TL level insanity, then maybe I'll believe you.  why so serious?

You mean increasing your Quickness didn't make you run faster? this guy looks legit

most often known as Drevik
Ard
Terracotta Army

Reply #166 on: October 24, 2008, 05:56:05 PM

HE WHO SHALL NOT BE NAMED

Sweet god, why did you invoke his name?  Do you know what you've done here?  I need to go find a fallout shelter now...
Sjofn
Terracotta Army

Truckasaurus Hands

Reply #167 on: October 24, 2008, 05:56:54 PM

There is a VAST CONSPIRACY to keep the truth about quickness and runspeed from the world! What's his ass was a patsy!

God Save the Horn Players
Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #168 on: October 24, 2008, 05:57:23 PM

Sweet god, why did you invoke his name?  Do you know what you've done here?  I need to go find a fallout shelter now...

As long as noone speaks the name two more times, we're all safe.

-  Mark Twain
Hayduke
Terracotta Army

Reply #169 on: October 24, 2008, 05:58:24 PM

This is what I want to know.  Now that I'm over the kneejerk reaction I'd like to know if this is going to be just a tiering/keying system to access certain content (which is FUCKING RETARDED but acceptable), or is going to wildly shift power from RvRers to PvE players.

A shame.  I really wanted to do some king raids, but I can't see myself farming for it like it's Vex Thal.  However I could probably still live with things if it wasn't massively overpowered like WoW.
Fordel
Terracotta Army

Reply #170 on: October 24, 2008, 06:19:47 PM

Some of them were perfectly sane, it's why they quit!  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

and the gate is like I TOO AM CAPABLE OF SPEECH
ghost
The Dentist

Reply #171 on: October 24, 2008, 06:37:08 PM

This is what I want to know.  Now that I'm over the kneejerk reaction I'd like to know if this is going to be just a tiering/keying system to access certain content (which is FUCKING RETARDED but acceptable), or is going to wildly shift power from RvRers to PvE players.

A shame.  I really wanted to do some king raids, but I can't see myself farming for it like it's Vex Thal.  However I could probably still live with things if it wasn't massively overpowered like WoW.

Probably column A, but you can be sure that most people want very little from column B.

This game is circling the bowl already.  That is so sad. 
Hawkbit
Terracotta Army

Like a Klansman in the ghetto.

Reply #172 on: October 24, 2008, 07:04:11 PM

So I get back from eight days without internet... to this shit?  I was already on the fence about the T3 grind that I couldn't fucking stand. 

Now I find that there's a super-cockblock involved in the game?  How appropriate they announce it after the first month's subs have been billed. 

I just canceled, likely pre-ordering WotLK now instead of waiting six months. 

I had such high hopes, Mythic. 
Fraeg
Terracotta Army

Mad skills with the rod.

Reply #173 on: October 24, 2008, 07:49:52 PM

Ahh, just what was missing:  assrape by rabid peruvian mountain goats.

well I had fun in beta and in t1-t3.

"There is dignity and deep satisfaction in facing life and death without the comfort of heaven or the fear of hell and in sailing toward the great abyss with a smile."
Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #174 on: October 24, 2008, 07:55:31 PM

Has this been parsed out of the IGN thread?

The wards have no bearing in PvP damage whatsoever, in most cases, you can form superior suits from armor with alot of talismen slots (which the renown merchant DOES offer).

The only thing in RvR that you'd miss out on are unique set bonus abilities, but, realistically - the majority are not going to complete high end sets for a long time so they will be lacking the 'set bonus' too.

Winning a gold bag at a keep take where there are 200 people because everyone is 40 and there? Good luck.

Having a class specific BP drop from a boss that takes hours to spawn in PvE and you can only fight once every 3 days at best? Good luck, we keep getting Shadow Warrior stuff dropping ... oh not to mention the stuff is BoP so you can't trade for it either.

Outside of the lower level sets that you can do the kill missions for, the odds are very few will have *any* complete sets for a long time. If you have no interest in PvEing the king, or going to the high end PvE dungeons, then the wards are completely meaningless .. unless they add in weapons for players that have a ward bonus (Which I would doubt they ever do, because it would be horrible to non-40s).

Gratz on playing a PvP/RvR game and QQing about loot though. Must've been rough to be that guy in the FPS that always whined because someone beat him to the sniper rifle or his camp spot.

Look up the set armor factor and the combined stats, assume you will at best have 3 pieces of said set .. then tell me, why would you bother in RvR?

You won't.

We all *will* look relatively the same, but it wont be because after 5 million king kills attended, we were lucky enough to all win gold bags or get loot rights at the damn thing to get our 'PvE attained armor'

-Rena_Lanford, DAoC Team Lead
THAT is supposed to make me happy to play this game?  Oh. My. Gawd.  What. The. Fuck?

I don't care if that's a volunteer or a paid employee.  They've got a red name and as far as anyone reading the post is concerned, a representative of Mythic.

No wonder they let Jacobs do all the PR.

Hahahaha!  I'm really good at this!
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Warhammer Online (Moderator: tazelbain)  |  Topic: High Level Armor Sets  
Jump to: