Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 12, 2024, 01:04:00 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Movies  |  Topic: Scott Pilgrim vs. the World 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Scott Pilgrim vs. the World  (Read 59873 times)
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #70 on: August 15, 2010, 01:02:12 PM

I don't expect this to do well at the box office at all. It's such a niche, geek style of movie. I plan on going to see it if I can, but I don't expect anyone in the mainstream to do so. Especially not when it's up against The Expendables and Eat Pray Love.

Abagadro
Terracotta Army

Possibly the only user with more posts in the Den than PC/Console Gaming.

Reply #71 on: August 15, 2010, 01:30:02 PM

DVD sales might save it.

Not that I care but I always found it amusing and indicative of that "First to Report" style of news when they can announce Friday Through Sunday receipts on Sunday morning.

They've modeled box office receipts to the point where they can be highly predictive based upon Friday numbers. But they are estimates that are sometimes off, but usually only by a few percent. They can go beyond that even and predict with a high degree of confidence the entire box office based upon the percentage drop after the first week.

"As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.”

-H.L. Mencken
Teleku
Terracotta Army

https://i.imgur.com/mcj5kz7.png

Reply #72 on: August 15, 2010, 03:11:09 PM

Saw this last night, was Amazing.  One of the best/funniest movies I've seen in a very long time.

"My great-grandfather did not travel across four thousand miles of the Atlantic Ocean to see this nation overrun by immigrants.  He did it because he killed a man back in Ireland. That's the rumor."
-Stephen Colbert
climbjtree
Terracotta Army

Reply #73 on: August 15, 2010, 04:02:51 PM

Just got back from an afternoon showing. Laughed the whole way through and loved catching all the NES references.

Totally recommend it.
Ard
Terracotta Army

Reply #74 on: August 15, 2010, 07:57:41 PM

Yeah, dittoing what everyone else said.  It got exiled to a tiny screen in the back of the theater, and it totally didn't deserve that.
Velorath
Contributor

Reply #75 on: August 15, 2010, 09:51:30 PM

DVD sales might save it.

Not that I care but I always found it amusing and indicative of that "First to Report" style of news when they can announce Friday Through Sunday receipts on Sunday morning.

They've modeled box office receipts to the point where they can be highly predictive based upon Friday numbers. But they are estimates that are sometimes off, but usually only by a few percent. They can go beyond that even and predict with a high degree of confidence the entire box office based upon the percentage drop after the first week.

Some might be pretty surprised at how accurate a lot of estimates for opening weekend are before the movie is even released, although those numbers aren't generally available to the public.
UnSub
Contributor

Reply #76 on: August 16, 2010, 01:44:27 AM

Brogarn
Terracotta Army

Reply #77 on: August 16, 2010, 04:40:46 AM

Never been a console gamer, but still enjoyed the heck out of this movie. Wife left to go shopping about 15 minutes in, though. Hehe.
WindupAtheist
Army of One

Badicalthon

Reply #78 on: August 16, 2010, 07:56:22 AM

DVD sales might save it.

This. Those early reports might be "amusing" to whoever's pet movie is taking it up the ass on any given weekend, but they're also almost always right to within a couple million at most.

"You're just a dick who quotes himself in his sig."  --  Schild
"Yeah, it's pretty awesome."  --  Me
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #79 on: August 16, 2010, 03:08:14 PM

There's still the international market.. which likes a lot of movies that have been turds in the US lately.  I wish I could remember what day NPR did the story, but it was about a month ago.  It's why you're seeing sequels or planned sequels for movies that bombed in the US.. they made more internationally than here.. which is apparently a growing trend.  The guy being interviewed inferred (at least to my ears) that the US might stop being the target market for movies if this trend continued.

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
NiX
Wiki Admin

Locomotive Pandamonium

Reply #80 on: August 17, 2010, 06:38:46 PM

I like that they actually filmed in Toronto. Awesome movie, very entertaining.
DraconianOne
Terracotta Army

Reply #81 on: August 18, 2010, 06:47:03 AM

Each time he does this Wright's ability to get financing goes down.

You say "each time" like it's a regular thing but this is the first "big budget" movie he's directed. Hot Fuzz was made for $16m and made $79m worldwide in box office and $33m in US DVD sales. Shaun of the Dead was made for $5m and made $30m worldwide in box office (and while I can't find an estimate of DVD sales figures, it made $500k in US sales during the week that Hot Fuzz was released three years after it was initially released for home).

I don't disagree that Pilgrim will probably find it difficult in the Box Office and make only half it's budget back worldwide but I also don't think that it's make-or-break for Wright's career.

A point can be MOOT. MUTE is more along the lines of what you should be. - WayAbvPar
sickrubik
Terracotta Army

Reply #82 on: August 18, 2010, 09:21:44 AM

This type of film probably has a little more leg. There's really nothing groundbreaking coming in the next month to steal the thunder, aside from maybe Machete on September 3rd.

beer geek.
KallDrexx
Terracotta Army

Reply #83 on: August 18, 2010, 09:41:46 AM

What about gems such as Piranha 3d!  Ohhhhh, I see.
Teleku
Terracotta Army

Reply #84 on: August 18, 2010, 11:01:51 AM

"My great-grandfather did not travel across four thousand miles of the Atlantic Ocean to see this nation overrun by immigrants.  He did it because he killed a man back in Ireland. That's the rumor."
-Stephen Colbert
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #85 on: August 18, 2010, 04:32:22 PM

What's wrong with Kelly Brook nekkid in 3D?
sickrubik
Terracotta Army

Reply #86 on: August 18, 2010, 10:55:49 PM

Saw SP tonight. God bless you, Edgar Wright. You are a saint amongst men.

beer geek.
KallDrexx
Terracotta Army

Reply #87 on: August 19, 2010, 05:44:31 AM

What's wrong with Kelly Brook nekkid in 3D?

I can probably find that on the internet for free instead of paying $10 to see it :p
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #88 on: August 19, 2010, 06:00:23 AM

But but 3D! awesome, for real
NowhereMan
Terracotta Army

Reply #89 on: August 19, 2010, 08:07:47 AM

What the hell is it with the August 25th release date in the UK? If I didn't want to support a film that looks awesome and I don't think is going to get huge mainstream success I would be tempted to pirate it just to give the studios the middle finger. They've shown that they can simultaneous releases, fuck this two weeks later bullshit. There's way too many films where a later release date means having to self-censor the internet to avoid spoilers.

"Look at my car. Do you think that was bought with the earnest love of geeks?" - HaemishM
Surlyboi
Terracotta Army

eat a bag of dicks

Reply #90 on: August 19, 2010, 11:09:26 AM

Saw it today. Liked it a lot. Still hate Michael Cera, but the rest of the cast was pretty solid.

Brie Larson was almost a perfect Envy Adams.

Tuned in, immediately get to watch cringey Ubisoft talking head offering her deepest sympathies to the families impacted by the Orlando shooting while flanked by a man in a giraffe suit and some sort of "horrifically garish neon costumes through the ages" exhibit or something.  We need to stop this fucking planet right now and sort some shit out. -Kail
Teleku
Terracotta Army

Reply #91 on: August 19, 2010, 11:42:35 AM

Yeah, I thought Michael Cera was the weakest part of the movie.  But the movie was still amazing, so whatever.

-Stephen Colbert
Slyfeind
Terracotta Army

Reply #92 on: August 19, 2010, 02:12:34 PM

Heh. "Directed by Hope Larsen." That's Brian Lee O'Malley's wife.  awesome, for real

"Role playing in an MMO is more like an open orchestra with no conductor, anyone of any skill level can walk in at any time, and everyone brings their own instrument and plays whatever song they want.  Then toss PvP into the mix and things REALLY get ugly!" -Count Nerfedalot
Prospero
Terracotta Army

Reply #93 on: August 20, 2010, 09:27:41 AM

That movie is much better than it has any right to be. Fucking amazing.
Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #94 on: August 20, 2010, 12:12:14 PM

This type of film probably has a little more leg. There's really nothing groundbreaking coming in the next month to steal the thunder, aside from maybe Machete on September 3rd.

I will likely see this movie tomorrow for exactly this reason...and it probably wouldn't have otherwise gotten a second glance from me.  Everything else out there is pure SHIT right now.

"...maybe if you cleaned the piss out of the sunny d bottles under your desks and returned em, you could upgrade you vid cards, fucken lusers.." - Grunk
sickrubik
Terracotta Army

Reply #95 on: August 20, 2010, 12:27:14 PM

I think I would be seeing it again this weekend if it weren't for the fact that the local art house has the following, which we are seeing:

Girl Who Played With Fire
Exit Through The Gift Shop

beer geek.
Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #96 on: August 22, 2010, 01:31:39 PM

I will likely see this movie tomorrow for exactly this reason...and it probably wouldn't have otherwise gotten a second glance from me.  Everything else out there is pure SHIT right now.

I don't know why I am quoting myself, other than to remark at what a horrible mistake I made.  I imagine there is a certain type of person who will like a movie like this, but holy shit it sure isn't me.  Fucking horrible.  Except for that Ramona chick, who for some reason I found unreasonably hot.

And for whatever reason I can't figure out, I keep replaying some of the scenes in my head, as if I enjoyed any part of them.  Which I didn't.  I think.

"...maybe if you cleaned the piss out of the sunny d bottles under your desks and returned em, you could upgrade you vid cards, fucken lusers.." - Grunk
WindupAtheist
Army of One

Badicalthon

Reply #97 on: August 22, 2010, 02:28:57 PM

Drops to #10 at the box office with a >50% decline in it's second weekend. That isn't a horrible percentage in and of itself (Expendables had a similar dropoff and remains #1) but it's decisive for a movie that didn't have that large of an initial take in the first place.

"You're just a dick who quotes himself in his sig."  --  Schild
"Yeah, it's pretty awesome."  --  Me
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #98 on: August 22, 2010, 05:48:27 PM

I don't know why I am quoting myself, other than to remark at what a horrible mistake I made.  I imagine there is a certain type of person who will like a movie like this, but holy shit it sure isn't me.  Fucking horrible.  Except for that Ramona chick, who for some reason I found unreasonably hot.

And for whatever reason I can't figure out, I keep replaying some of the scenes in my head, as if I enjoyed any part of them.  Which I didn't.  I think.

My diagnosis is that you're broken.

"I have not actually recommended many games, and I'll go on the record here saying my track record is probably best in the industry." - schild
Tarami
Terracotta Army

Reply #99 on: August 22, 2010, 06:38:35 PM

He's not alone. Watching the trailer only makes me think "what is this stupid shit?" and leave me with no desire to actually watch the movie.

- I'm giving you this one for free.
- Nothing's free in the waterworld.
Zetor
Terracotta Army

Reply #100 on: August 22, 2010, 09:52:12 PM

He's not alone. Watching the trailer only makes me think "what is this stupid shit?" and leave me with no desire to actually watch the movie.
This. Though I think part of the reason is that I am not an American (neither are you I think!), so it's very possible that we just don't "get" the references. :p

SurfD
Terracotta Army

Reply #101 on: August 22, 2010, 11:37:21 PM

This. Though I think part of the reason is that I am not an American (neither are you I think!), so it's very possible that we just don't "get" the references. :p
I am Canadian (live in Toronto in fact), and other then a few bits of name dropping (mostly for places / locations), I don't think there was anything in it that would even make it remotely Inaccessable to a non canadian viewer.   It was cool on a personal level to hear them go "and here is X band, from Brampton", or see Casa Loma used as a set piece, but that is no different then watching any generic american movie where someone mentions the Bronx or Harlem or the Jersey Shore or uses any american landmark as a set piece.

Darwinism is the Gateway Science.
Teleku
Terracotta Army

Reply #102 on: August 22, 2010, 11:55:21 PM

Yeah, this movie was seriously one of the best movies I've seen in a very very long time.  I could see somebody who is several generations older than ours not getting it due to many of the references.  But other than that, the movie is amazing.  I mean, as in, should at least be nominated for best picture good.  I have a very hard time seeing how anybody could watch that movie and not enjoy it.  I was laughing the ENTIRE way from start to finish.  Very few movies can do that.

-Stephen Colbert
Abagadro
Terracotta Army

Possibly the only user with more posts in the Den than PC/Console Gaming.

Reply #103 on: August 23, 2010, 12:04:44 AM

It took me a bit to get into the aesthetic of the thing (some stuff seemed overly cutsie and I react badly to that and combined with Michael Sera gave me Juno flashbacks and I hate  that movie like no other), but once I got into the groove I enjoyed it quite a bit (Routh was the highpoint for me). Some older people in the theater walked out halfway through. I can see this movie being completely incomprehensible to that generation. It always fascinates me when people go to movies without the slightest clue as to what it is.

As for my comment above, I'm amazed Hot Fuzz was made for only 16M so good on Edgar, although when you work everything out even that film was barely profitable. I just really want to see him bust out as I think the guy is a genius.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2010, 12:09:48 AM by Abagadro »

"As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.”

-H.L. Mencken
Arthur_Parker
Terracotta Army

Internet Detective

Reply #104 on: August 23, 2010, 12:37:21 AM

Yeah, I'm not sure what the big deal is.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Movies  |  Topic: Scott Pilgrim vs. the World  
Jump to: