Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 03, 2024, 04:14:02 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Topic: 8 hours in Dublin 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: 8 hours in Dublin  (Read 3409 times)
Raging Turtle
Terracotta Army

on: September 01, 2008, 01:38:07 PM

I've got an eight hour layover in Dublin on Thursday, and was wondering if people had any recommendations of places to check out?  I'm a quarter Irish, and it'd be nice to see a few historical places while I'm there.  Or an awesome restaurant/pub.   awesome, for real

Or am I crazy for trying think I'll have time to arrive, exit customs, stow my bags, get a taxi to the city, have fun, then return to the airport, grab my bags, and clear security for the next flight?
schild
Administrator

Reply #1 on: September 01, 2008, 01:53:29 PM

Well, the real question is, are you brown looking?
IainC
Developers

Wargaming.net

Reply #2 on: September 01, 2008, 02:09:25 PM

Dublin airport isn't too far from the city itself. If you want tourist Dublin then go to Temple Bar and Grafton Street. You can get your fill of 'Oirishness' there.

- And in stranger Iains, even Death may die -

SerialForeigner Photography.
Raging Turtle
Terracotta Army

Reply #3 on: September 01, 2008, 02:16:20 PM

White, shaved head, Irish last name.  I do have a great tan though...  Ohhhhh, I see.
Sir T
Terracotta Army

Reply #4 on: September 01, 2008, 02:36:20 PM

For good beer check out the oyster bar in temple street. They brew their own beer and its great.

Or you could take the tour of the Guinness brewery.

Your best bet though might be to get on those Dublin tour busses that whiz round the city. you get shown all the sights and can get off and on when you wish.

Sherries in lower abbey street used to be my fav restaurant, but they redid it recently and I havent been in there since. If you want Vegitarian and Hare Khrisna, check out Govindas

Give yourself plenty of time though, Dublin traffic is a nightmare

Hic sunt dracones.
schild
Administrator

Reply #5 on: September 01, 2008, 02:39:20 PM

Ironic since it's the only thing he doesn't have.
Amarr HM
Terracotta Army

Reply #6 on: September 01, 2008, 03:26:07 PM

You could also avoid the City Centre and head for the Boyne Valley (I would Dublins not all its cracked up to be) go to see Newgrange and stop off in Slane Village for a pint and some grub. Newgrange is about 20-30 minutes from the Airport and is the oldest standing burial chamber in the world plus Slane is the closest thing you'll get to a rustic Irish setting in such a short time.

http://www.newgrange.com/index.htm

I'm going to escape, come back, wipe this place off the face of the Earth, obliterate it and you with it.
IainC
Developers

Wargaming.net

Reply #7 on: September 01, 2008, 03:31:32 PM

For good beer check out the oyster bar in temple street. They brew their own beer and its great.

Or you could take the tour of the Guinness brewery.

Your best bet though might be to get on those Dublin tour busses that whiz round the city. you get shown all the sights and can get off and on when you wish.

Sherries in lower abbey street used to be my fav restaurant, but they redid it recently and I havent been in there since. If you want Vegitarian and Hare Khrisna, check out Govindas

The Guinness brewery is practically next door to my office, a block or so over is the Jameson distillery. The tourist bus is a bit crappy tbh, Viking Splash is a better way to see the city but you're unlikely to have time to do that.

Trinity College is a good place to visit, you can see the Book of Kells there if you're into that kind of thing and it's right on the main Grafton Street/O'Connell Street drag.

Dublin is a bit of a hole however, the surrounding countryside and in fact the rest of Ireland is much better. Out where I live (Castleknock) are some really nice pubs and country restaurants.

Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #8 on: September 01, 2008, 05:05:40 PM

Go to a pub, get pissed and lament your lot in life.

My Sig Image: hath rid itself of this mortal coil.
Amarr HM
Terracotta Army

Reply #9 on: September 01, 2008, 05:49:08 PM

Dude maybe I'm an old fart who doesn't drink anymore but I still suggest to avoid Dublin like the plague.

By the way Iain do you work in the Digital Hub?

I'm going to escape, come back, wipe this place off the face of the Earth, obliterate it and you with it.
tazelbain
Terracotta Army

tazelbain

Reply #10 on: September 01, 2008, 07:26:23 PM

>8 hours in Dublin
Sounds like a murder mystery.

"Me am play gods"
IainC
Developers

Wargaming.net

Reply #11 on: September 02, 2008, 01:58:50 AM

Dude maybe I'm an old fart who doesn't drink anymore but I still suggest to avoid Dublin like the plague.

We're in the Digital Hub area, the corner of Cork St and Ardee St to be precise.

Tale
Terracotta Army

sıɥʇ ǝʞıן sʞןɐʇ

Reply #12 on: September 02, 2008, 05:29:43 AM

I've had two short visits to Dublin (a day or two at a time) and I got the most enjoyable sightseeing out of just walking around. I mean epic, long walks. Along the River Liffey, around Trinity College, along the major streets and back, and stopping to look at a few interesting things. Didn't do the Guinness brewery tour, but I picked interesting-looking pubs and had a pint or two of Guinness in each (remember it's a LONG wait after you order one - the correct pouring process is several slow steps, and a true Guinness drinker is happy that it's being done slowly). Felt I had seen a lot after all that walking and people-watching.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2008, 05:32:31 AM by Tale »
Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #13 on: September 02, 2008, 07:29:51 AM

We have a very good friend who works at Google now.  I guess he'll expect us to visit him.  I expect I'll never see him again. 

My Sig Image: hath rid itself of this mortal coil.
Amarr HM
Terracotta Army

Reply #14 on: September 02, 2008, 10:16:19 AM

We're in the Digital Hub area, the corner of Cork St and Ardee St to be precise.

Ah ok I been into a few multimedia exhibitions in The Hub and went to college around the corner way back.

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Topic: 8 hours in Dublin  
Jump to: