Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 08, 2024, 07:32:31 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: Wii not only beats 360/PS3, it cures sick people now. 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Wii not only beats 360/PS3, it cures sick people now.  (Read 4633 times)
Triforcer
Terracotta Army

on: January 13, 2008, 08:19:51 PM

All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu.  This is the truth!  This is my belief! At least for now...
Fabricated

~Living the Dream~

Reply #1 on: January 13, 2008, 08:20:14 PM

have entertaining games.

"The world is populated in the main by people who should not exist." - George Bernard Shaw
schild
Administrator

Reply #2 on: January 13, 2008, 08:47:12 PM

support hd.
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #3 on: January 14, 2008, 06:39:04 AM

Fucking work.

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
They called it The Prayer, its answer was law
Mommy come back 'cause the water's all gone
Prospero
Terracotta Army

Reply #4 on: January 14, 2008, 11:50:36 AM

Make me a sandwich.
naum
Terracotta Army

Reply #5 on: January 14, 2008, 12:31:40 PM

Make me a sandwich.

Tuna w/tomato please.

"Should the batman kill Joker because it would save more lives?" is a fundamentally different question from "should the batman have a bunch of machineguns that go BATBATBATBATBAT because its totally cool?". ~Goumindong
Ratman_tf
Terracotta Army

Reply #6 on: January 14, 2008, 12:44:58 PM

Wii Wii Wii Alll the way home!

"What I'm saying is you should make friends with a few catasses, they smell funny but they're very helpful."
-Calantus makes the best of a smelly situation.
Jain Zar
Terracotta Army

Reply #7 on: January 14, 2008, 02:37:46 PM

Have decent third party support given the fact its 4 times more powerful than the Gamecube?

Not have Schild hate on the thing every five minutes?

Oh, and apparently it can't have UN Squadron and Parodius on the Virtual Console.  This makes me SAD.
Riggswolfe
Terracotta Army

Reply #8 on: January 14, 2008, 02:46:13 PM

Be on store shelves.

"We live in a country, where John Lennon takes six bullets in the chest, Yoko Ono was standing right next to him and not one fucking bullet! Explain that to me! Explain that to me, God! Explain it to me, God!" - Denis Leary summing up my feelings about the nature of the universe.
schild
Administrator

Reply #9 on: January 14, 2008, 02:48:36 PM

Have decent third party support given the fact its 4 times more powerful than the Gamecube?

Less than 2 times more powerful thx.
squirrel
Contributor

Reply #10 on: January 15, 2008, 01:06:04 AM

Meh sold mine. I don't need therapy thanks. Or at least not that kind. I'll buy another one when there's something to play on it. Until then my inferior 360 and PS3 are keeping me busy. Or busty. No wait, I sold the Wii so I won't get busty. But I will get busy. Or something...

Speaking of marketing, we're out of milk.
schild
Administrator

Reply #11 on: January 15, 2008, 01:38:21 AM

Squirrel. I miss you.

In a total hetero man-way.
TheWalrus
Terracotta Army

Reply #12 on: January 15, 2008, 09:30:51 PM

My wife got me one for Xmas, and we like it fine. Gets the family playing and since I can't play my guts and gore and monster closet games with the little girl around, I don't miss them. Thats why I have a PC and other consoles in another room. The sports stuff is great to invite friends over and get drunk trying to bowl.

vanilla folders - MediumHigh
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #13 on: January 15, 2008, 09:48:51 PM

I like that game where you shoot cans.

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
Jain Zar
Terracotta Army

Reply #14 on: January 16, 2008, 12:23:50 AM

I was messing around with some Gamecube games on it.  Resident Evil Remake and RE4 both looked pretty as all get out.
(Instead of tabletop game day we seemed to have had "Watch me play videogames and heckle".  It was actually rather amusing. )

I still don't see this shitty graphics complaint no 1080p stuff.

stray
Terracotta Army

has an iMac.

Reply #15 on: January 16, 2008, 12:30:27 AM

I still don't see this shitty graphics complaint no 1080p stuff.

That's because the complainers are actually referencing it to newer graphics, instead of judging things in a vacuum.

Nothing against RE4 though. It's still a great game.
schild
Administrator

Reply #16 on: January 16, 2008, 12:35:32 AM

RE4 is probably the best looking thing that will come out on the Wii.

And it's a gamecube game.

I'm wondering if Jain could have picked a bigger outlier than RE4. Yea, let's take the built from the ground up for the Gamecube CAPFUCKINGCOM game and use it as an argument for "I just don't see the graphics complaint."

RE4 is an amazing technical achievement. Compare RE4 to Eternal Darkness. Or really anything else on the cube (that isn't ultra stylized like Windwaker). Nothing holds up. Nothing on the Wii holds up to RE4 either, except uhhh RE4. Twilight Princess doesn't even touch it.

Bad choice for comparison.

That said, Perfect Dark Zero looked better than RE4. And it was an unoptimized buggy piece of shit 360 launch title.

Edit: Stray, graphics never get judged in a vacuum. But sometimes - particularly with SRPGs/Wargames - graphics are easily overlooked for gameplay. It's hard to over look how shitty Tomb Raider Legend looked compared to Uncharted. Hell, even the very short bits of in-game cutscene in RE5 we've seen are so far beyond RE4 that it approaches the Ridiculous Barrier.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2008, 12:37:35 AM by schild »
stray
Terracotta Army

has an iMac.

Reply #17 on: January 16, 2008, 12:50:25 AM

I mean that Jain Zar seems to be judging RE4 in a vacuum. Not you. You're right, there's a noticable difference even in shitty 360 launch titles. Take it a step further, like a new-ish Capcom game (Dead Rising for example), and there's a big difference. And with RE5, it'll be even clearer on what system has and doesn't have "shitty graphics".
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #18 on: January 16, 2008, 12:23:19 PM

To be fair, RE4 beat everything on any system in the GC/PS2/X-Box generation. It still holds up.

But then I think Twilight Princess, Metroid and Prince of Persia for the Wii were also beautiful games that hold up with this generation of graphics. The one thing the Wii graphics engine either can't handle (or developers have been too lazy to bother with) is the shiny bloom type of effects. The FIFA 07 for the GC had them (though not to the level of the X-Box version) but the FIFA 08 had none of it. FIFA 08 for the Wii was graphically inferior to just about anything you could name.

Azazel
Contributor

Reply #19 on: January 16, 2008, 05:10:17 PM

Prince of Persia for the Wii? That "Two Swords" thing?

What's that about?

http://azazelx.wordpress.com/ - My Miniatures and Hobby Blog.
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #20 on: January 16, 2008, 08:01:46 PM

What's that about?

It's like a gladiator film.

Azazel
Contributor

Reply #21 on: January 16, 2008, 08:34:26 PM

That could really go very far in either direction.

http://azazelx.wordpress.com/ - My Miniatures and Hobby Blog.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #22 on: January 17, 2008, 12:47:55 PM

What's that about?

About rebooting the storyline and starting over. With the return of the angsty prince.

But seriously, it's a pretty good Wii game, even though the waggle is tacked onto the combat and doesn't work that well. Luckily, the game isn't about combat, it's about finding the right way to jump through puzzles. It's quite fun.

Rasix

I am the harbinger of your doom!

Reply #23 on: January 17, 2008, 01:08:33 PM

RE4 is an amazing technical achievement. Compare RE4 to Eternal Darkness. Or really anything else on the cube (that isn't ultra stylized like Windwaker). Nothing holds up. Nothing on the Wii holds up to RE4 either, except uhhh RE4. Twilight Princess doesn't even touch it.

If you're still buying games now for the older systems, of which only really PS2 has anything coming out anymore, you can fall into a "who needs this HD crap" trap.

There's a number of absolutely great looking games that can make the jump look like something that wouldn't be worth the barrier to entry ($$$)

Just off the top of my head:
Shadow of the Colossus
Okami
Rogue Galaxy
Final Fantasy XII
Beyond Good and Evil
God of War  (really doesn't hold up well when you look back)
RE4 (already mentioned)

These games are really either technical masterpieces or rely heavily on cell shading techniques. These games would be skull poppers in HD, but as is, they can give the illusion that this HD crap isn't worth the effort.  Doesn't hurt that these games have the gameplay to back it up.

I really just cannot wait to see what Square, Team ICO and others produce in HD.  They really pushed the last generation farther than most people thought possible.

-Rasix
stray
Terracotta Army

has an iMac.

Reply #24 on: January 17, 2008, 01:46:06 PM

I think SotC is definitely pretty, but God, that framerate is horrendous. That's one case where I think the visuals should have been downgraded a bit.
Phildo
Contributor

Reply #25 on: January 18, 2008, 08:53:14 AM

Not to mention more recent titles Odin Sphere and Grim Grimoire.  Absolutely gorgeous.  Unfortunately, less great on the gameplay front than any of the games Rasix mentioned.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: Wii not only beats 360/PS3, it cures sick people now.  
Jump to: