Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 18, 2024, 12:49:01 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: DOTA2 0 Members and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 52 Go Down Print
Author Topic: DOTA2  (Read 466824 times)
Malakili
Terracotta Army

Reply #210 on: October 26, 2011, 01:29:37 PM

WTF is DOTA 2 (beta?)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Q2LKGfhVwg&feature=feedu

Hour long footage and first impressions.
Lounge
Terracotta Army

Reply #211 on: November 03, 2011, 12:27:11 AM

I'm here to shamelessly beg for one of someone's friend key if any of you lucky bastards managed to get in with the group today.

http://blog.dota2.com/2011/11/your-time-has-come/
Prospero
Terracotta Army

Reply #212 on: November 17, 2011, 03:31:44 PM

Anyone else in yet? I got an invite last night from a friend.
Megrim
Terracotta Army

Whenever an opponent discards a card, Megrim deals 2 damage to that player.

Reply #213 on: November 17, 2011, 06:23:01 PM

Nah, still waiting.

One must bow to offer aid to a fallen man - The Tao of Shinsei.
Ice Cream Emperor
Terracotta Army

Reply #214 on: November 17, 2011, 07:25:16 PM

I'm starting to suspect my computer is now Too Old For Betas. That or my luck is poor.
jakonovski
Terracotta Army

Reply #215 on: November 18, 2011, 05:51:23 AM

I'm starting to suspect my computer is now Too Old For Betas. That or my luck is poor.

They'll probably want data from old rigs as well, because they'll want to make sure that a range of computers can run it.
Ice Cream Emperor
Terracotta Army

Reply #216 on: November 18, 2011, 05:52:48 AM

That's what I keep telling myself!
Prospero
Terracotta Army

Reply #217 on: November 18, 2011, 02:28:56 PM

FWIW, it runs really well on old machines. I think it's running better than LoL on my box which is about 6 years old.
Megrim
Terracotta Army

Reply #218 on: January 03, 2012, 11:18:00 PM

Sooo... anyone have spare invites yet?

Bann
Terracotta Army

Reply #219 on: February 01, 2012, 04:53:24 PM

Check you email, I just got an invite.  DRILLING AND MANLINESS
Rasix

I am the harbinger of your doom!

Reply #220 on: February 01, 2012, 05:27:18 PM

Yep, just got in as well.

-Rasix
Megrim
Terracotta Army

Reply #221 on: February 01, 2012, 07:29:01 PM

Nope, didn't get one =(

Fudge.

Ragnoros
Terracotta Army

Reply #222 on: February 01, 2012, 08:43:37 PM

I may have said this already, but you are REALLY not missing anything. My brother got me and himself into beta, we managed one game, and collectively regretted even that. This coming from two fairly avid DotA players (back in the day). Everything is exactly the same, and just a massive step backwards from what Riot has done with the genre. Example: As in WC3, usable items are still bound to the NUMERIC KEYPAD. Yes, the one nowhere near either of your hands or any other useful keys.

Owls are an example of evolution showing off. -Shannow

BattleTag - Ray#1555
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #223 on: February 01, 2012, 08:57:00 PM

Is there an NDA still in place?
Ragnoros
Terracotta Army

Reply #224 on: February 01, 2012, 09:01:18 PM

Believe it or not I actually had the exact mental image of you coming here to bitch me out about that. So I Googled it.
Would you like me to Google it for you?  why so serious?

EDIT: I have no problem with your inquiry and respect f13s NDA policy. I merely find my prediction becoming reality amusing.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2012, 09:03:47 PM by Ragnoros »

Owls are an example of evolution showing off. -Shannow

BattleTag - Ray#1555
Bann
Terracotta Army

Reply #225 on: February 02, 2012, 06:09:33 AM

I may have said this already, but you are REALLY not missing anything. My brother got me and himself into beta, we managed one game, and collectively regretted even that. This coming from two fairly avid DotA players (back in the day). Everything is exactly the same, and just a massive step backwards from what Riot has done with the genre. Example: As in WC3, usable items are still bound to the NUMERIC KEYPAD. Yes, the one nowhere near either of your hands or any other useful keys.

This was my first take  as well. Played 1 game by myself to get a feel, played 1 match with what seemed like all other recent beta invitees as Ghostrider, closed out fired up LoL. I'll definitely dig deeper in this weekend, but my inital impression was not great. Maybe it was the champs I tried, but I found the pacing to be much slower. Also, I kept expecting towers to act like LoL towers. Still not sure on their agro mechanics, but I was sad that they started flinging at me when I was in the middle of like 4 of my creeps.
ffc
Terracotta Army

Reply #226 on: February 02, 2012, 09:41:14 AM

I found the pacing to be much slower.

After Dominion in LoL I can't play as originally intended. Much too slow and creep denial slows things down even further
Lounge
Terracotta Army

Reply #227 on: February 02, 2012, 10:47:18 AM

Pretty much everything in the game can be custom keybound to your hearts content.  
Yes... We all know this game is not for League players.  Personally I find League to be incredibly frustrating to play.  To each his own.

Edit: Also the NDA has been lifted on this for quite some time.
Margalis
Terracotta Army

Reply #228 on: February 02, 2012, 05:58:30 PM

My question is who is this game for?

We already have both DOTA and HON, this is now essentially the third version of the same game. It seems like the target audience is HON players who want a graphics upgrade.

vampirehipi23: I would enjoy a book written by a monkey and turned into a movie rather than this.
Lounge
Terracotta Army

Reply #229 on: February 03, 2012, 10:59:17 AM

My question is who is this game for?

We already have both DOTA and HON, this is now essentially the third version of the same game. It seems like the target audience is HON players who want a graphics upgrade.

Hon has taken over quite a unique identity over the last year and is VERY different than dota despite starting out as a 100% clone.  I would say the target audience is the estimated 20 million dota players out there who want a modern client with things like reconnect and matchmaking.  I expect the fact that it bears the Valve brand will attract some new players as well.
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Auto Assault Affectionado

Reply #230 on: February 10, 2012, 12:27:17 PM

The inevitable lawsuit:

http://kotaku.com/5883938/blizzard-is-suing-valve

Blizzard's case would appear to be very strong, to me.

The Transcendent One: AH... THE ROGUE CONSTRUCT.
Nordom: Sense of closure: imminent.
Hayduke
Terracotta Army

Reply #231 on: February 10, 2012, 02:28:22 PM

I'd say it's kind of a stretch to say Blizzard ever promoted DotA.  Even more of a stretch that people would confuse DotA2 with Warcraft III.  Idk maybe there's more to it, but this doesn't seem like a very strong case.

What happened to the Riot objection anyway?  Was that shot down or something?
Malakili
Terracotta Army

Reply #232 on: February 10, 2012, 02:34:08 PM

Blizzard's case would appear to be very strong, to me.

Was there any ever an EULA of any kind which stated that mods for WCIII were in any way Blizzard property?

In fact, I thought a big reason that SC2 galaxy editor had a bunch of this kind of language was precisely because Blizzard WISHED they had some rights to DOTA when they didn't.

Oh well, we'll see what happens.  In the end, its too late.  Everyone knows the game Valve is make is the heir apparent, and has the original developer.  If they have to change the name, it'll at most create sour grapes among DOTA fans towards Blizzard.
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Reply #233 on: February 10, 2012, 02:43:43 PM

http://us.battle.net/sc2/en/game/maps-and-mods/mods/dota <-- announced before DOTA 2 I think?

In any case I believe Blizzard is only trying to stop them from trademarking DOTA, not stop them from using it? I'm not totally clear on all the legalese.

EDIT: And yes, it appears the EULA for the World Editor for War3 would apply here.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2012, 02:49:20 PM by Ingmar »

HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #234 on: February 12, 2012, 09:27:19 AM

I don't understand why ANYONE but the original creator is trying to trademark the name DOTA. If we had trademark law that made any goddamn sense, both Valve and Blizzard would have to come to him for permission to use the term. Yes, I know he works for Valve now, but that shouldn't mean they can trademark shit he created without giving him a little taste of the action.

Mosesandstick
Terracotta Army

Reply #235 on: February 12, 2012, 10:32:28 AM

DOTA was made by Eul, Guinsoo (Riot) then turned it into All-stars, and when he left for LoL Icefrog (Dota 2) took over.

Edit: Google proves I'm an idiot and you're right. Eul does work for Valve.
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Reply #236 on: February 13, 2012, 12:33:04 AM

I don't understand why ANYONE but the original creator is trying to trademark the name DOTA. If we had trademark law that made any goddamn sense, both Valve and Blizzard would have to come to him for permission to use the term. Yes, I know he works for Valve now, but that shouldn't mean they can trademark shit he created without giving him a little taste of the action.

Blizzard doesn't appear to be trying to trademark it, just stop Valve from doing so.

Setanta
Terracotta Army

Reply #237 on: February 13, 2012, 12:46:30 AM

My understanding is that Blizzard doesn't want the DOTA title copyrighted so that it is accessible by all. They aren't fighting to claim it, just to stop Valve from having sole access.

"No man is an island. But if you strap a bunch of dead guys together it makes a damn fine raft."
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #238 on: February 13, 2012, 08:39:49 AM

Well, if that's the case, I can support that... except with the creator working at Valve, it seems like Valve probably has a viable (if regrettable) claim to copyright.

Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Reply #239 on: February 13, 2012, 11:57:25 AM

The EULA for the Warcraft 3 editor tool stuff that was used to create it is the obstacle there from what I can tell.

Thrawn
Terracotta Army

Reply #240 on: March 06, 2012, 06:19:44 AM

Got a beta invite for this last night.  ACK! Feels about right.

Only played 3 games vs. bots, but I already feel like my thousand+ games of League were playing a lazy tutorial and now I'm playing the real game on hard mode.  It's the same game, and a completely different game at the same time.  So many common habits from League just get you killed in DotA.  Not decided yet if I'm actually enjoying that or not, but I am much more willing to give it a try than I was before.  (although I still hate the deny mechanic)   But the fact that in beta the DotA 2 interface and matchmaking and such feels way ahead of the 2 year old PvP.net is promising.

Hoax and I both are going to be be playing occasionally if anyone wants to join us, don't know else on F13 is playing.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2012, 06:23:41 AM by Thrawn »

"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the Universe is that none of it has tried to contact us."
MrHat
Terracotta Army

Out of the frying pan, into the fire.

Reply #241 on: March 06, 2012, 07:30:56 AM

Got a beta invite for this last night.  ACK! Feels about right.

Only played 3 games vs. bots, but I already feel like my thousand+ games of League were playing a lazy tutorial and now I'm playing the real game on hard mode.  It's the same game, and a completely different game at the same time.  So many common habits from League just get you killed in DotA.  Not decided yet if I'm actually enjoying that or not, but I am much more willing to give it a try than I was before.  (although I still hate the deny mechanic)   But the fact that in beta the DotA 2 interface and matchmaking and such feels way ahead of the 2 year old PvP.net is promising.

Hoax and I both are going to be be playing occasionally if anyone wants to join us, don't know else on F13 is playing.

I actually came to the conclusion that DOTA is no longer for me (after playing for years in the WC version).  LOL turned me into a big casual, and the DOTA2 beta showed me that I actually much prefer the lazy habits picked up by LOL.

Then I went back to LOL and couldn't play that anymore.  So now I just stare at those links in my Steam library.

I will say the interface and lobby system is one of the best I've seen.
Malakili
Terracotta Army

Reply #242 on: March 06, 2012, 07:41:58 AM

I have beta access but I've played a grand total of one game.  I just don't really have time for another game right now.  I guess I could be coaxed into logging in for a game now and again.
Fordel
Terracotta Army

Reply #243 on: March 06, 2012, 06:37:01 PM

Can you guys actually elaborate on what the differences actually are? Pretend you are talking to someone whose never played either game and only watched like 3 games total ever.

and the gate is like I TOO AM CAPABLE OF SPEECH
Ice Cream Emperor
Terracotta Army

Reply #244 on: March 06, 2012, 07:53:11 PM

(I also got a beta invite, and have been playing with my n00b roomate.)

The ceiling is just way higher, all the way from the small-scale mechanics - timing last hits, managing creep aggro - through the medium scale - laning combinations, managing mana & ability use, resource exploitation, map navigation, item choice - on through to the strategic level.

On top of that it just has a much less streamlined risk/reward setup. Getting killed screws you up considerably more, and the ability to deny creeps means that lane dominance can have an even greater snowballing effect -- so early game ganks are more effective and also much easier to pull off. In theory this should lead to more conservative play but in my experience so far observing games and such -- the whole shape of the game feels much more varied than LoL, and there are far more ganks and skirmishes and kills overall. The mid-game of most of the matches I have watched is about ten times more active than the comparable period in a high-level LoL game, where people almost literally do not leave lane except for dragon fights, and only one champion on each team ganks with any regularity.

LoL just feels like a vastly more standardized, abstracted, top-down-designed version of the same game, which results in a more easily-comprehensible but also shallower strategic (and tactical) game. DOTA is very clearly built from the ground up, complete with all the WC3 engine idiosyncracies that have been incorporated into the gameplay (for better and worse.)

Of course both communities are horrible, horrible, horrible.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 52 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: DOTA2  
Jump to: