Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 23, 2024, 12:27:06 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Topic: Anime recommendations 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 44 45 [46] 47 48 ... 59 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Anime recommendations  (Read 650208 times)
Bzalthek
Terracotta Army

"Use the Soy Sauce, Luke!" WHOM, ZASH, CLISH CLASH! "Umeboshi Kenobi!! NOOO!!!"

Reply #1575 on: February 12, 2011, 10:03:47 AM

Heh, yeah.  That cat thing is seriously creeping me out, too.

"Pity hurricanes aren't actually caused by gays; I would take a shot in the mouth right now if it meant wiping out these chucklefucks." ~WayAbvPar
Stormwaltz
Terracotta Army

Reply #1576 on: February 24, 2011, 02:01:59 PM

I've watched the first two episodes of Madoka, and I'm enjoying it. Mami is pretty awesome - partly because she uses magical flintlock muskets the way John Woo characters use pistols, party because she always has that little smile that says, "Oh, dear boy, I'm so much more than you can handle."

What?

So given what I've seen so far, she's probably going to be the Roy Fokker - the awesomely competent role model who dies midway through the series.

Anyway, like it, but it doesn't scratch the Mahou Josei itch I've been feeling. What I want is something like Nana or Honey & Clover, but with magic. The closest thing to this I can think of is Someday's Dreamers.

Nothing in this post represents the views of my current or previous employers.

"Isn't that just like an elf? Brings a spell to a gun fight."

"Sci-Fi writers don't invent the future, they market it."
- Henry Cobb
Bzalthek
Terracotta Army

Reply #1577 on: February 24, 2011, 08:02:30 PM

the awesomely competent role model who dies midway through the series.

heh

This is the only anime I must watch as it airs.  The first since I started paying attention to new releases.

edit: Speaking of which, Episode 8: Shit just got real again.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2011, 08:57:08 PM by Bzalthek »

"Pity hurricanes aren't actually caused by gays; I would take a shot in the mouth right now if it meant wiping out these chucklefucks." ~WayAbvPar
cironian
Terracotta Army

play his game!: solarwar.net

Reply #1578 on: February 25, 2011, 03:21:18 PM

This is the only anime I must watch as it airs.  The first since I started paying attention to new releases.

Yeah, I like how starting at the third episode the series keeps getting more and more creepy. Feels like a really well-done deconstruction of the whole genre, much better than I expected it to be. I also like how even before Ep.8 they always gave you the vague feeling that
Bzalthek
Terracotta Army

Reply #1579 on: February 25, 2011, 07:43:48 PM

This is the only anime I must watch as it airs.  The first since I started paying attention to new releases.

Yeah, I like how starting at the third episode the series keeps getting more and more creepy. Feels like a really well-done deconstruction of the whole genre, much better than I expected it to be. I also like how even before Ep.8 they always gave you the vague feeling that

Bzalthek
Terracotta Army

Reply #1580 on: March 16, 2011, 08:31:24 AM

Upcoming anime for Spring.  Some of it actually looks pretty interesting

Simond
Terracotta Army

Reply #1581 on: March 17, 2011, 03:41:14 PM

They've made a Toriko anime? 

DRILLING AND MANLINESS

"You're really a good person, aren't you? So, there's no path for you to take here. Go home. This isn't a place for someone like you."
Rendakor
Terracotta Army

Reply #1582 on: March 17, 2011, 09:51:43 PM

Deadman Wonderland, Sket Dance, and Hidan no Aria will all get at least an episode or two.

"i can't be a star citizen. they won't even give me a star green card"
Simond
Terracotta Army

Reply #1583 on: March 25, 2011, 03:27:34 PM

Time for some anime history. Nihon SF Taikai is the Japanese anime con, and when it's held in Osaka, it's called DAICON. (Dai = Great, so "Great Con(vention), and daikon = Japanese radish. It's a pun, see...oh, never mind). Anyway, DAICON III was in 1981, and DAICON IV was in 1983, and for each one the same group of fans came up with an animated intro video. Like so:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-840keiiFDE

Said group of fans called themselves DAICON Film when they were still all amateurs. When they decided to actually make a go of it as a professional studio, they changed their name.

To Gainax.

And for their next trick, Anno got a job animating the God/Giant Warrior scene in Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind. He wanted to make a sequel, Miyazaki said 'no', so Anno decided to take a few ideas from Nausicaa (ridiculously powerful artificial giant humanoids, a character whose mother went insane and thought a doll was her daughter, the whole "Mankind over-reached in its pride and technology and brought an apocalypse down on itself" thing) and make his own series.

"You're really a good person, aren't you? So, there's no path for you to take here. Go home. This isn't a place for someone like you."
Bzalthek
Terracotta Army

Reply #1584 on: March 25, 2011, 11:51:36 PM

Starting to feem?

AutomaticZen
Terracotta Army

Reply #1585 on: April 04, 2011, 07:59:00 AM

Ao no Exorcist is a decent Shonen manga, I'll give the show a try.  Deadman Wonderland as well.

Lotto no Omocha... what?  Really?
LC
Terracotta Army

Reply #1586 on: April 21, 2011, 12:11:47 AM

Time for some anime history. Nihon SF Taikai is the Japanese anime con, and when it's held in Osaka, it's called DAICON. (Dai = Great, so "Great Con(vention), and daikon = Japanese radish. It's a pun, see...oh, never mind). Anyway, DAICON III was in 1981, and DAICON IV was in 1983, and for each one the same group of fans came up with an animated intro video. Like so:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-840keiiFDE

Said group of fans called themselves DAICON Film when they were still all amateurs. When they decided to actually make a go of it as a professional studio, they changed their name.

To Gainax.

And for their next trick, Anno got a job animating the God/Giant Warrior scene in Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind. He wanted to make a sequel, Miyazaki said 'no', so Anno decided to take a few ideas from Nausicaa (ridiculously powerful artificial giant humanoids, a character whose mother went insane and thought a doll was her daughter, the whole "Mankind over-reached in its pride and technology and brought an apocalypse down on itself" thing) and make his own series.

A very very very similar bunny girl sequence appeared in the Densha Otoko opening:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-63xA5bMEw8

Then later in Getsumen To Heiki Mina:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Getsumento_Heiki_Mina

Rendakor
Terracotta Army

Reply #1587 on: April 21, 2011, 04:05:20 AM

FlCl has one too, where Haruko is screaming "Daicon Five!", but that's just Gainax being themselves.

LC
Terracotta Army

Reply #1588 on: April 21, 2011, 05:06:08 PM

Densha Otoko was awesome btw and everyone should watch it.
Simond
Terracotta Army

Reply #1589 on: April 23, 2011, 03:12:06 AM

So...the last two episodes of Puella Magi Madoka Magica finally aired.

And they were fucking awesome. Definitely the best series made in the last couple of years, and slots nicely into my personal top five list...possibly even top three.

cironian
Terracotta Army

play his game!: solarwar.net

Reply #1590 on: April 23, 2011, 06:37:08 AM

So...the last two episodes of Puella Magi Madoka Magica finally aired.

And they were fucking awesome. Definitely the best series made in the last couple of years, and slots nicely into my personal top five list...possibly even top three.

This man speaks the truth.
Simond
Terracotta Army

Reply #1591 on: April 23, 2011, 06:47:11 AM

^^Would that avatar lie to you?  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?    ‿‿

E: Just had someone somewhere else point out that the reason Sayuka's  Imagine that, an anime that actually uses symbolism rather than just "It looks cool, throw it in".
« Last Edit: April 24, 2011, 03:48:55 AM by Simond »

Segoris
Terracotta Army

Reply #1592 on: April 28, 2011, 09:10:29 AM

Watched the entire season of Puella Magi Madoka and it was pretty damn good. Even though there are lots of really solid aspects in there ( such as the witch scenes and Kyubey - who has become one of my favorite characters) I still feel that it was missing something.

Though, even with that said - I'd still say it is a must watch (or at least give a 3 episode chance for) and for me it is definitely a top 10 series, but not quite a top 5.

Bzalthek
Terracotta Army

Reply #1593 on: May 30, 2011, 07:18:28 PM

Hen Zemi is a twisted celebration of abnormality.  It's oddly comforting.

Rendakor
Terracotta Army

Reply #1594 on: June 11, 2011, 10:44:57 AM

Chartfag has summer previews up. Dantalian no Shoka looks weird, but I'll watch the first few episodes because GAINAX. Probably also going to give Kami-sama no Memo-chou, Appleseed XIII, and R-15 a shot.

SurfD
Terracotta Army

Reply #1595 on: June 11, 2011, 11:49:29 PM

Just out of curiosity, where do you guys usually go for your fix of the latest new serieses?  Do you google for fan-sub groups? Watch them from a streaming site?  Have a nice centralized torrent tracker site?  Just recently got back from an anime con in toronto, where I cought a bunch of cool new stuff, but as it has been ages since I did any regular anime downloading, most of my old links are dead or gone, and I am a bit lost trying to find good quality sources for good quality episodes of the stuff I wanted to follow up on.

Darwinism is the Gateway Science.
Rendakor
Terracotta Army

Reply #1596 on: June 12, 2011, 12:29:53 AM

nyaa-torrents is one of the largest trackers still out there; http://www.animesuki.com/ is another good one. If it's not on one of those, I just google "showname fansub" and look for a group I'm familiar with.

Abalieno
Terracotta Army

Reply #1597 on: June 12, 2011, 06:02:53 AM

Huh?

http://www.tokyotosho.info/?cat=1

That's the way, then a lil research about which group is better.

- HRose / Abalieno
cesspit.net
Bzalthek
Terracotta Army

Reply #1598 on: June 12, 2011, 07:04:34 AM

animetake.com is the only site I use anymore.

Arrrgh
Terracotta Army

Reply #1599 on: June 12, 2011, 07:55:50 AM

Crunchyroll is good for streaming.
Hoax
Terracotta Army

l33t kiddie

Reply #1600 on: June 18, 2011, 12:37:33 PM

Yeah you can use anidb.net to find out who is making the good subs if you really care about getting that better than dvd quality stuff.

A nation consists of its laws. A nation does not consist of its situation at a given time. If an individual's morals are situational, then that individual is without morals. If a nation's laws are situational, that nation has no laws, and soon isn't a nation.
-William Gibson
fuser
Terracotta Army

Reply #1601 on: June 20, 2011, 08:17:14 AM

Kinda Anime related right?

Starz has picked up Sam Raimi/Rob Tapert project, live action adaptation of Noir
« Last Edit: June 20, 2011, 08:20:38 AM by fuser »
Simond
Terracotta Army

Reply #1602 on: June 20, 2011, 10:50:20 AM

Chartfag has summer previews up. Dantalian no Shoka looks weird, but I'll watch the first few episodes because GAINAX. Probably also going to give Kami-sama no Memo-chou, Appleseed XIII, and R-15 a shot.
Summer 2011 preview: Hope you like vampires or moeblobs!

...wait a second. Mawaru Penguindrum? "New project from the director of Revolutionary Girl Utena"?

« Last Edit: June 20, 2011, 11:01:00 AM by Simond »

Stormwaltz
Terracotta Army

Reply #1603 on: June 20, 2011, 11:16:31 PM

Starz has picked up Sam Raimi/Rob Tapert project, live action adaptation of Noir

Noir came out in my heyday of anime buying, when I spent $300 a month and would watch any series that was slightly decent.

Noir was so dull and self-important, I gave up after one disc.

- Henry Cobb
Stormwaltz
Terracotta Army

Reply #1604 on: June 20, 2011, 11:20:46 PM

Chartfag has summer previews up.

I saw a new Higurashi OVA in there.

Sold, sight unseen.

- Henry Cobb
Simond
Terracotta Army

Reply #1605 on: June 27, 2011, 03:12:37 PM

Mecha Hell
Like AMV Hell but with mechs.

Obviously.  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

Amaron
Terracotta Army

Reply #1606 on: July 07, 2011, 08:40:27 AM

Looks like several of the summer shows should be out by tonight or tomorrow night.   I've no clue if any of these are actually any good though.
Simond
Terracotta Army

Reply #1607 on: July 08, 2011, 03:14:18 PM

Amaron
Terracotta Army

Reply #1608 on: July 08, 2011, 05:48:21 PM

I just watched that earlier. Definitely the most suitable anime to watch while on drugs this season. Kamisama Dolls and Sacred Seven are for the Naruto crowd I'd say. Although Kamisama Dolls has a little potential.

I caught "No. 6" as well.   That one seems like it's going to be the high profile anime this season. 
Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #1609 on: July 08, 2011, 07:52:55 PM

Is that made by the guy who did Utena?

Hahahaha!  I'm really good at this!
Pages: 1 ... 44 45 [46] 47 48 ... 59 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Topic: Anime recommendations  
Jump to: