Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 17, 2024, 11:49:08 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Topic: Anime recommendations 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 40 41 [42] 43 44 ... 59 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Anime recommendations  (Read 649515 times)
Rendakor
Terracotta Army

Reply #1435 on: August 11, 2010, 01:13:55 AM

Can we talk about.....Evangelion?
Ahem.

"i can't be a star citizen. they won't even give me a star green card"
Mosesandstick
Terracotta Army

Reply #1436 on: August 11, 2010, 01:54:14 AM

Eureka7's one of the two or three anime series I've seen in the past couple of years. Definitely worth it.
Vision
Terracotta Army

Reply #1437 on: August 11, 2010, 11:21:18 PM

Can we talk about.....Evangelion?
Ahem.

So is End of Evangelion technically the cannon ending?
Rendakor
Terracotta Army

Reply #1438 on: August 12, 2010, 12:09:18 AM

No. They're two distinct endings. Have you seen it yet?

It's also possible that each story (TV Series, Death&Rebirth and End of Eva, Rebuild of Evangelion) is a sequel to the previous; multiple iterations of the same story, recreated by Shinji after Third Impact each time.

Teleku
Terracotta Army

https://i.imgur.com/mcj5kz7.png

Reply #1439 on: August 12, 2010, 12:34:20 AM

My impression was that they were basically two different endings, though they both shed light into understanding each other.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2010, 12:36:03 AM by Teleku »

"My great-grandfather did not travel across four thousand miles of the Atlantic Ocean to see this nation overrun by immigrants.  He did it because he killed a man back in Ireland. That's the rumor."
-Stephen Colbert
Simond
Terracotta Army

Reply #1440 on: August 12, 2010, 05:29:12 AM

Conversely, they could be the same ending - the "Congratulations!" is Shinji during Third Impact coming to the realisation that it's okay for him to just be himself, that you do need to reach out to other people and accept the possibility of being hurt but that you can't do that by simply destroying everyone's ego-barriers and turning the planet into a giant, Tang-based, group-conciousness because that's just stasis instead of progression*. EoE is bookends around that - leading up to and after the fact.

*I feel like going into a TTGL tangent here, but shall simply leave one little snippet: Did you know that the S2 engine used by Angels  canonically runs off of spiral energy?  DRILLING AND MANLINESS
« Last Edit: August 12, 2010, 12:45:18 PM by Simond »

"You're really a good person, aren't you? So, there's no path for you to take here. Go home. This isn't a place for someone like you."
Rendakor
Terracotta Army

Reply #1441 on: August 12, 2010, 09:09:30 PM

I don't think they're the same ending. My take on it:

Vision
Terracotta Army

Reply #1442 on: August 12, 2010, 10:40:46 PM

Oh, nice! Spiral energy seems to be a GAINAX thing.
and within the series, there was definitely a 3rd impact? Where did I miss this?
Rendakor
Terracotta Army

Reply #1443 on: August 12, 2010, 11:17:50 PM

Well, I did say presumably, but it is sort of implied that Third Impact must occur for Human Instrumentality to occur.

Simond
Terracotta Army

Reply #1444 on: August 24, 2010, 01:30:39 PM

Well, fuck.
http://io9.com/5620836/
Japanese animation has lost one of its giants. Satoshi Kon, director of Paprika  and creator of Paranoia Agent, has apparently died at age 47. Gainax employee Takeda Yasuhiro tweeted the news a short time ago, and it was confirmed by Madhouse's Masao Maruyama via the Otakon committee.
sad

"You're really a good person, aren't you? So, there's no path for you to take here. Go home. This isn't a place for someone like you."
Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #1445 on: August 24, 2010, 08:27:35 PM

Studio Ghibli is likely shutting down as well.

Hahahaha!  I'm really good at this!
Vision
Terracotta Army

Reply #1446 on: August 25, 2010, 12:57:44 AM

Japanese animation has lost one of its giants. Satoshi Kon, director of Paprika  and creator of Paranoia Agent, has apparently died at age 47. Gainax employee Takeda Yasuhiro tweeted the news a short time ago, and it was confirmed by Madhouse's Masao Maruyama via the Otakon committee.
sad

Fuck...
Just Fuck.
Rendakor
Terracotta Army

Reply #1447 on: August 25, 2010, 02:15:36 AM

Well, fuck.
sad
0.0 DPS You will be missed.

fuser
Terracotta Army

Reply #1448 on: August 26, 2010, 03:02:57 PM

Ack to Satoshi Kon

Studio Ghibli is likely shutting down as well.

Dear god no, I wanted the rumored Porco Rosso sequel.
Stormwaltz
Terracotta Army

Reply #1449 on: August 30, 2010, 12:33:43 PM

So I'm finally watching Toradora. I downloaded the first three eps ages ago, but only continued when I won a box set of the NA release from The Escapist.

Good lord, Kushieda is just... vividly weird.

Nothing in this post represents the views of my current or previous employers.

"Isn't that just like an elf? Brings a spell to a gun fight."

"Sci-Fi writers don't invent the future, they market it."
- Henry Cobb
Hoax
Terracotta Army

l33t kiddie

Reply #1450 on: August 30, 2010, 05:54:49 PM

That was a good show, I really enjoyed it and that style of anime is not often my cup of tea.

A nation consists of its laws. A nation does not consist of its situation at a given time. If an individual's morals are situational, then that individual is without morals. If a nation's laws are situational, that nation has no laws, and soon isn't a nation.
-William Gibson
Hoax
Terracotta Army

l33t kiddie

Reply #1451 on: September 02, 2010, 10:50:11 PM

I need to give a lot of praise to Angel Beats. Plain and simple, watch it.

Wanted to second this opinion and say thanks to Segoris for mentioning the show which got me to watch it.

A nation consists of its laws. A nation does not consist of its situation at a given time. If an individual's morals are situational, then that individual is without morals. If a nation's laws are situational, that nation has no laws, and soon isn't a nation.
-William Gibson
schild
Administrator

Reply #1452 on: September 03, 2010, 06:26:58 AM

Well, fuck.
sad
0.0 DPS You will be missed.
Oh god, that is a shame.
Simond
Terracotta Army

Reply #1453 on: September 09, 2010, 10:44:20 AM

And time for a couple of trailers of Autumn series.

Firstly, Star Driver. Our protagonist, Ginga Bishonen (no, really) washes up on the shore of an island housing an exclusive academy. There, Utena Ginga must fight duels using swords mecha to protect the Rose Bride Shine Maiden Anthy Himemiya Wako Agemaki, who is the key to revolutionising the world unlocking the secrets of the mecha.

Produced by Bones (RahXephon, Eureka 7) and written by this chap. So it could be interesting. Fabulous trailer here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VtDpxbIr0-I

Secondly, Panty & Stocking with Garterbelt. Gainax doing an impression of the Powerpuff girls in the style of Dead Leaves: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iZbGlVqKXTM
« Last Edit: September 09, 2010, 02:52:44 PM by Simond »

LC
Terracotta Army

Reply #1454 on: September 12, 2010, 01:22:50 PM

Dont forget the inevitable fall anime crammed into a single image preview.

I'm looking forward to the second seasons of letter bee and super robot wars.

« Last Edit: September 12, 2010, 01:26:16 PM by LC »
Vision
Terracotta Army

Reply #1455 on: September 12, 2010, 02:09:26 PM

And time for a couple of trailers of Autumn series.

Firstly, Star Driver. Our protagonist, Ginga Bishonen (no, really) washes up on the shore of an island housing an exclusive academy. There, Utena Ginga must fight duels using swords mecha to protect the Rose Bride Shine Maiden Anthy Himemiya Wako Agemaki, who is the key to revolutionising the world unlocking the secrets of the mecha.

Produced by Bones (RahXephon, Eureka 7) and written by this chap. So it could be interesting. Fabulous trailer here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VtDpxbIr0-I

This looks like Gurren Lagann TBH. Dunno if that was what they were purposely going for or not.

The new Gainax show looks awesome!! Love the PPG look.
Bzalthek
Terracotta Army

"Use the Soy Sauce, Luke!" WHOM, ZASH, CLISH CLASH! "Umeboshi Kenobi!! NOOO!!!"

Reply #1456 on: September 12, 2010, 06:51:54 PM

Hrm, I dunno.  Maybe this Fall won't completely suck after all.

"Pity hurricanes aren't actually caused by gays; I would take a shot in the mouth right now if it meant wiping out these chucklefucks." ~WayAbvPar
Hoax
Terracotta Army

l33t kiddie

Reply #1457 on: September 13, 2010, 12:57:18 PM

Is there a reason nobody mentioned Bakemonogatari here and I had to find it for myself? Show is fucking fantastic. Gonna have to buy this on BR, its that good.

-William Gibson
Bzalthek
Terracotta Army

Reply #1458 on: September 13, 2010, 01:17:26 PM

Hrm, I coulda sworn I mentioned it, but I suppose not.  I recall enjoying it, but from last summer I barely remember much of anything =/

"Pity hurricanes aren't actually caused by gays; I would take a shot in the mouth right now if it meant wiping out these chucklefucks." ~WayAbvPar
Korachia
Terracotta Army

Reply #1459 on: September 13, 2010, 01:29:03 PM

I have heard that a 3rd season of Black Lagoon is commencing. Has anybody seen the first episode, and can they recommend it?

Also, I don't watch much anime, but is there anything out there that has the same quality as Cowboy Bebop and Ghost in the shell? can be a series or film.
Arrrgh
Terracotta Army

Reply #1460 on: September 13, 2010, 02:05:38 PM

Is there a reason nobody mentioned Bakemonogatari here and I had to find it for myself? Show is fucking fantastic. Gonna have to buy this on BR, its that good.

Great show. The psycho bisexual girlfriend who appears a few episodes in steals the show.

Segoris
Terracotta Army

Reply #1461 on: September 13, 2010, 02:12:41 PM

I believe I have that on my list of shit to watch, glad to hear a positive opinion.

I have heard that a 3rd season of Black Lagoon is commencing. Has anybody seen the first episode, and can they recommend it?

Also, I don't watch much anime, but is there anything out there that has the same quality as Cowboy Bebop and Ghost in the shell? can be a series or film.

The "3rd season" is an OVA that is, sadly, only five episodes called Roberta's revenge or something along those lines (she was the maid for the Lovelace household/cartel). Only the first episode is out, and I'm waiting for all five to finish before I watch them. They aren't due to finish though until March or April since they are doing some weird scheduling thing of one per month for the first three and then every other month, I think, for the last two. I'd say this, it's Black Lagoon...just watch it if you don't mind waiting a while between episodes, or wait for it all to finish up and watch it at the same time.

As for the recommendation, are you looking for sci-fi? Bounty Hunter? Cop/detective action-type? More specifics would help as "quality" is a pretty vague term in this case, imo.
LC
Terracotta Army

Reply #1462 on: September 13, 2010, 03:39:37 PM

Death Note
Hellsing Ultimate OVA
Planetes
Evangelion
Ergo Proxy
Zipang
Anything with Gundam in the name. (In my opinion anyway.)
Anything from Studio Ghibli

Just the first ones to pop into my head. I'm sure I could make a nice list given enough time.
Hoax
Terracotta Army

l33t kiddie

Reply #1463 on: September 13, 2010, 04:47:42 PM

Death Note
Hellsing Ultimate OVA
Planetes
Evangelion
Ergo Proxy
Zipang
Anything with Gundam in the name. (In my opinion anyway.)
Anything from Studio Ghibli

Just the first ones to pop into my head. I'm sure I could make a nice list given enough time.

Since you said quality, not much.

I'd say take a look at:
Kenshin OVA's
5-shot OVA called Yukikaze about an fighter jet with an ai and a pilot
Macross Zero (another OVA)

Those are just insane visual standards, have you seen the show Ghost in the Shell (Stand Alone Complex) if that isn't what you are talking about bump that to the top of the list, its better imo than the movies, also Ergo Proxy is a true show, scifi and great, so I'll ditto LC there.

On par with Bebop in terms of a fun show but without that holy fucking shit eye candy factor but with that overall quality level Black Lagoon would be the first thing I would recommend.

Other favorites that you should read the synopsis on and decide if they sound like your cup of tea..

mecha:
Rahxephon
TTGL
Escaflowne
Eureka 7

(juvenile) Love Stories of various odd anime stripes:
FLCL
Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya
Welcome to the NHK

-William Gibson
Bzalthek
Terracotta Army

Reply #1464 on: September 13, 2010, 06:20:10 PM

Lots of good shit in these posts, but I highly recommend Samurai 7 as well. And well, Tengen Toppa Gurenn Lagann simply because if you haven't seen it you're a bad person.

Also, while I'm not a huge Bebop fan, I think you might like With Hunter Robin.  Another probable, though it's off in another direction, is the 74 episode Monster.  Not as much action, but I found it thoroughly enjoyable.

That leads me to horror/psych tangents, but it's pretty far from start already.

Fordel
Terracotta Army

Reply #1465 on: September 13, 2010, 06:51:38 PM

Any of the Macross' but Seven are fun to watch really.

Macross Plus is still my favorite.

Frontier is the latest one I think, or it's the last one I've seen. It's the same 'spirit' or theme as the very first one.

Has anyone else watched the two Patlabor movies? I never watched the actual series, but I have the movies and really enjoy them.

and the gate is like I TOO AM CAPABLE OF SPEECH
Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #1466 on: September 13, 2010, 08:13:12 PM

I loved Patlabor, but most find them really slow.

Hahahaha!  I'm really good at this!
Korachia
Terracotta Army

Reply #1467 on: September 14, 2010, 06:24:32 AM

Thanks a lot for all the suggestions. I very concisely used the vague term "quality" because I wanted to keep an open mind to all the anime out there. First time I was recommended to watch cowboy Bebop I was quite skeptical because it was "cartoons"... My skepticism was turned into shame. On the other hand I have experienced that there is a lot of crap out there as well, so I was kinda hoping people would show me what shows/films are the gems of anime genre.  

I guess what I liked the most was the first season of ghost in the shell with its intelligent plotline, somewhat philosophical themes, focus on technology, and a strong, but with flaws, central character(s) and villians that aren't just "bad evil dude", but is quite complex themselves. Also anything in a post apocalyptic or apocalyptic setting is also of interest. Don't know if it helps.

Anyway I appreciate all the suggestions so will look into it :)
Hoax
Terracotta Army

l33t kiddie

Reply #1468 on: September 14, 2010, 09:57:43 AM

I'd say check out Technolyze as well then, I found it far too brutally slow paced myself but I have ADD when it comes to anime and the quality of the art/animation is top notch along with a setting/plot that it sounds like you will enjoy.

Oh yeah Voices of a Distant Star & Pale Cocoon are both fairly easy choices for scifi, def worth watching.

-William Gibson
fuser
Terracotta Army

Reply #1469 on: September 14, 2010, 11:38:47 AM

I guess what I liked the most was the first season of ghost in the shell with its intelligent plotline, somewhat philosophical themes, focus on technology, and a strong, but with flaws, central character(s) and villians that aren't just "bad evil dude", but is quite complex themselves.

If you want to go down right serious Serial Experiments Lain is probably exactly what your looking for. Continuing on with some of Oshii's work (Jin-Roh, The Sky Crawlers) seems a good match. The Wings of Honneamise would probably be good viewing as the world design alone is amazing (it captures some weird 1950's USSR alternative world).
Pages: 1 ... 40 41 [42] 43 44 ... 59 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Topic: Anime recommendations  
Jump to: