Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 17, 2024, 09:25:13 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Topic: Anime recommendations 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 25 26 [27] 28 29 ... 59 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Anime recommendations  (Read 649472 times)
sidereal
Contributor

Reply #910 on: February 04, 2009, 02:38:45 PM

Yeah, the cheesiness is kind of a charm.  I also dig the whole Mecha + Brittania vs China vs Japan backstory that screams "We're going to make a strategic video game out of this"

THIS IS THE MOST I HAVE EVERY WANTED TO GET IN TO A BETA
Yoru

the y master, king of bourbon

Reply #911 on: February 05, 2009, 06:21:20 AM

Code Geass could've been cool, but they kept injecting "we need to save budget money for the mecha fights" episodes. The crappy teen drama stuff killed it for me.
stray
Terracotta Army

has an iMac.

Reply #912 on: February 11, 2009, 08:48:57 PM

Anything worth watching from 2008?

.... That isn't schoolgirls or robots? I prefer lecherous Marx brothers humor and/or vampires.

[edit] By Marx, I mean actually funny. By vampires, I mean supernatural. smiley
« Last Edit: February 11, 2009, 09:10:54 PM by Stray »
Yoru

Reply #913 on: February 12, 2009, 01:19:41 AM

Anything worth watching from 2008?

.... That isn't schoolgirls or robots? I prefer lecherous Marx brothers humor and/or vampires.

[edit] By Marx, I mean actually funny. By vampires, I mean supernatural. smiley

Pretty much? No. '08 was a down year.
Hoax
Terracotta Army

l33t kiddie

Reply #914 on: February 13, 2009, 07:27:01 AM

I recommended Demon Prince Enma awhile back, bet you never saw it.  I think it was technically from 2006 or 2007 but whatever.  I didn't watch shit for anime in 2008. 

That Persona anime sucked ass btw.

A nation consists of its laws. A nation does not consist of its situation at a given time. If an individual's morals are situational, then that individual is without morals. If a nation's laws are situational, that nation has no laws, and soon isn't a nation.
-William Gibson
Simond
Terracotta Army

Reply #915 on: February 14, 2009, 04:25:00 AM

"You're really a good person, aren't you? So, there's no path for you to take here. Go home. This isn't a place for someone like you."
stray
Terracotta Army

has an iMac.

Reply #916 on: February 14, 2009, 04:31:13 AM

I recommended Demon Prince Enma awhile back, bet you never saw it.  I think it was technically from 2006 or 2007 but whatever.  I didn't watch shit for anime in 2008. 

That Persona anime sucked ass btw.

Cool artwork. I'll check it out.

[edit] Well, shit.. I can only find 1 seeder torrents.
rk47
Terracotta Army

The Patron Saint of Radicalthons

Reply #917 on: February 23, 2009, 08:45:29 AM

-Gundam 00 Season 2- Emo Mode Max.
Very poor writing quality overall.

Colonel Sanders is back in my wallet
stray
Terracotta Army

has an iMac.

Reply #918 on: February 28, 2009, 05:36:25 PM

Code Geass could've been cool, but they kept injecting "we need to save budget money for the mecha fights" episodes. The crappy teen drama stuff killed it for me.

I've just started the first season, only seen a few episodes... Figured I'd give it a try since I read enough lists that praised it. So far, it seems pretty cool. I usually don't go for mecha, but here, the action is quick, and the plot is focused on intrigue. Luluch's secretiveness and plotting is actually reminiscent of Death Note to me. I'm sure it'll change, but I didn't expect that.
stray
Terracotta Army

has an iMac.

Reply #919 on: March 02, 2009, 11:50:35 AM

Well, it started to drag towards the end, but I have the second season as well now. Might as well watch it.

By the way, is this a certain "genre" of anime...? I compared it to Death Note.. are there other stories like this? Just wondering, because the whole secret mastermind angle is similar. I know that anime tends to repeat formulas, but in different settings.
Simond
Terracotta Army

Reply #920 on: March 02, 2009, 05:02:19 PM

"You're really a good person, aren't you? So, there's no path for you to take here. Go home. This isn't a place for someone like you."
stray
Terracotta Army

has an iMac.

Reply #921 on: March 03, 2009, 12:42:02 PM

Speaking of Deathnote, I'm re-watching it with the English dubs. They are surprisingly good.. Usually I prefer subs, but they got good actors for this.

Anyhow, I'd say that it's one of the better animes to show non-anime fans. At least series wise. No giant robot/drawn out battles/schoolgirls/or lecherous freaks to puzzle anyone. Just a good original story.
Stormwaltz
Terracotta Army

Reply #922 on: March 03, 2009, 01:21:32 PM

Usually I prefer subs, but they got good actors for this.

I'll take a moment to give props to Black Lagoon's dub, too. Revy's a bit shrill when yelling, but the English Dutch - unlike the Japanese Dutch - actually sounds like a black man.

And though I hesitate to mention it (for fear of being called a racist), the dub Shenhua's profane broken English is hilarious.

Nothing in this post represents the views of my current or previous employers.

"Isn't that just like an elf? Brings a spell to a gun fight."

"Sci-Fi writers don't invent the future, they market it."
- Henry Cobb
Strazos
Greetings from the Slave Coast

The World's Worst Game: Curry or Covid

Reply #923 on: March 03, 2009, 03:23:21 PM

You talking about that one episode in Black Lagoon where Revy and Rock go Japan?

I'll have to pick up the discs at some point; that series was fucking awesome.

And on Deatnote...dunno why, but I couldn't get into it. Not sure if I felt it moved slow, or too many episodes, or what. Maybe I'll give it another try at some point, because it at least seemed to be trying to be different, though I usually cannot get into Shonen Jump stuff for the life of me.

Fear the Backstab!
"Plato said the virtuous man is at all times ready for a grammar snake attack." - we are lesion
"Hell is other people." -Sartre
Stormwaltz
Terracotta Army

Reply #924 on: March 03, 2009, 04:13:09 PM

You talking about that one episode in Black Lagoon where Revy and Rock go Japan?

Haven't seen that one yet (it's a hard show to watch with a four year-old in the house).

Shenhua's the knife-wielding Taiwanese assassin that shows up at the end of season 1.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2009, 04:15:22 PM by Stormwaltz »

Nothing in this post represents the views of my current or previous employers.

"Isn't that just like an elf? Brings a spell to a gun fight."

"Sci-Fi writers don't invent the future, they market it."
- Henry Cobb
Strazos
Greetings from the Slave Coast

The World's Worst Game: Curry or Covid

Reply #925 on: March 03, 2009, 04:18:25 PM

Ah, gotcha.

Sorry, can't stand Revy's voice in English...it's not rough enough for me. Shenhua is done very well, though.

Fear the Backstab!
"Plato said the virtuous man is at all times ready for a grammar snake attack." - we are lesion
"Hell is other people." -Sartre
stray
Terracotta Army

has an iMac.

Reply #926 on: March 03, 2009, 07:16:40 PM

though I usually cannot get into Shonen Jump stuff for the life of me.

Probably the most un-Shonen Jump like thing they've done, I think! Only thing I could say is that they drag it into further plots/story arcs where it would have been fine as a one season deal, but even then, it's not dragged out too long. 37 episodes total, but you could be fine just watching the first season. Just get the dub I mentioned, play it in the background or something.. You'll probably get into it.

edit - scratch that, the whole thing's worth watching. i got confused. either that, or the live action movie, which isn't too bad... lacks the anime's cool artwork though.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2009, 07:38:54 PM by Stray »
stray
Terracotta Army

has an iMac.

Reply #927 on: March 06, 2009, 01:01:32 AM

Usually I prefer subs, but they got good actors for this.

I'll take a moment to give props to Black Lagoon's dub, too. Revy's a bit shrill when yelling, but the English Dutch - unlike the Japanese Dutch - actually sounds like a black man.

And though I hesitate to mention it (for fear of being called a racist), the dub Shenhua's profane broken English is hilarious.

The acting is passable, but it's probably best anyways considering the international angle of the series. Besides, the only japanese guy is Rock anyways.
stray
Terracotta Army

has an iMac.

Reply #928 on: March 07, 2009, 09:40:10 AM

I love the character designs in this show (Tengen Toppa Gurren Langann)

Might be a first, since I usually hate this style of anime (which is probably the most typical actually). Usually go for more realistic, sleek styles.. I mentioned liking Death Note's animation.. That would be one. So cool I want Mikami's hair. Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

Kurozuka's another recently well drawn style like it..

DLRiley
Terracotta Army

Reply #929 on: March 07, 2009, 01:38:58 PM

Death Note is something you READ not watch. Maybe live action would work, but in general if nothing cool is happening why are you animating it? Soul Eater is pretty much the only anime of 2008 worth watching.

I wanna get into Code Geass but it looks soo gay...the thought of some unmanily nancy boy ordering around men with guns and giant robots doesn't seem to say 'great anime'. but if he ain't a whinny bitch, then I'll stomach my initial revulsion. But someone please tell me, how bad is the teen drama?
schild
Administrator

Reply #930 on: March 07, 2009, 01:47:12 PM

Death Note is something you READ not watch. Maybe live action would work, but in general if nothing cool is happening why are you animating it?

The first half of the death note anime was just fine.

Both live-action movies were Decent.

Both the anime and the manga turned into shit though.
stray
Terracotta Army

has an iMac.

Reply #931 on: March 07, 2009, 01:49:35 PM

Yeah, I don't get that. It managed to be very engaging for me, and merely through just the characters and plot. Not much action, but I'm fine without it. There's ton of anime with action and for the most part, they're complete and utter dogshit. That or made for toddlers. I'm a different type of anime viewer though, I guess. I like some action, but I'll take something more subdued instead, or funny, or "slice of life".. what have you.

[edit]
« Last Edit: March 07, 2009, 02:03:17 PM by Stray »
stray
Terracotta Army

has an iMac.

Reply #932 on: March 08, 2009, 04:32:18 PM

bah wrong thread...

might as well say that I think I hate historical anime.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2009, 04:37:18 PM by Stray »
Bzalthek
Terracotta Army

"Use the Soy Sauce, Luke!" WHOM, ZASH, CLISH CLASH! "Umeboshi Kenobi!! NOOO!!!"

Reply #933 on: March 08, 2009, 06:31:14 PM

I'm like that.  I'm not an action-junkie.  The teenager fight anime don't interest me all that much.  For example, Soul Eater: Fight things, get souls, rinse, repeat, yawn.  Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann, Black Lagoon, Samurai 7, etc. all have fight sequences that while there is a lot of fighting it's not the central plot and those are some of my favorite anime.

I watch just about everything, though I've stopped watching most fan-service ecchi bullshit.
I prefer supernatural or dark thriller type of shit, Ergo Proxy, Monster, etc.  but a good story will keep me watching no matter what. 

"Pity hurricanes aren't actually caused by gays; I would take a shot in the mouth right now if it meant wiping out these chucklefucks." ~WayAbvPar
Fabricated

~Living the Dream~

Reply #934 on: March 08, 2009, 07:21:22 PM

New season of Hajime No Ippo started a short while ago, enjoying it again even though it continues to be a pretty typical sports anime (well, excepting the fact it acknowledges that boxers tend to end their careers early and with brain damage).
« Last Edit: March 08, 2009, 07:24:13 PM by Fabricated »

"The world is populated in the main by people who should not exist." - George Bernard Shaw
stray
Terracotta Army

has an iMac.

Reply #935 on: March 08, 2009, 09:25:30 PM

For example, Soul Eater: Fight things, get souls, rinse, repeat, yawn.

Yeah, when I caught that on TV, I immediately lost interest once the premise was set out.

The artwork is just as cool and colorful as Legann's though.
stray
Terracotta Army

has an iMac.

Reply #936 on: March 10, 2009, 06:48:00 PM

speaking of toned down anime (although it has moments of violence.. just not typical teenage action), i just started watching a series called Speed Grapher. Anyone seen it? It's about a former combat photographer, bored with normal life, and out of interesting subjects, who investigates a hedonist/fetish club and ends up getting more than he bargained for. There's a supernatural element too, but I won't give it away. More sophisticated than the usual stuff though, for sure.

Plus, Duran Duran (Girls on Film) as the opening theme. What could go wrong?  awesome, for real

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NSTphPlzZp4
« Last Edit: March 10, 2009, 07:35:00 PM by Stray »
Bzalthek
Terracotta Army

Reply #937 on: March 10, 2009, 11:27:32 PM

Yup, that's a decent one.

Actually, I'm kind of running out of shit to watch these days.  /sadpanda

"Pity hurricanes aren't actually caused by gays; I would take a shot in the mouth right now if it meant wiping out these chucklefucks." ~WayAbvPar
stray
Terracotta Army

has an iMac.

Reply #938 on: March 11, 2009, 12:31:30 AM

Well I have FLCL and Haruhi sitting around... just because I can't stop hearing about them. I looked at the first ep of Haruhi and wasn't impressed, but I'll give it a chance after Speed Grapher. I've been desperate for a comedy anime (I think my favorite series is what Schild suggested back "eons" ago... GTO. And there just isn't anything like it unfortunately).
Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #939 on: March 11, 2009, 09:18:03 AM

You might try Cromartie High School.  It's one you'll either love or hate though.

Hahahaha!  I'm really good at this!
Hoax
Terracotta Army

l33t kiddie

Reply #940 on: March 11, 2009, 11:50:40 AM

Well I have FLCL and Haruhi sitting around... just because I can't stop hearing about them. I looked at the first ep of Haruhi and wasn't impressed, but I'll give it a chance after Speed Grapher. I've been desperate for a comedy anime (I think my favorite series is what Schild suggested back "eons" ago... GTO. And there just isn't anything like it unfortunately).

If your watching in the out of order, order, the first ep shouldn't be taken too seriously.  But honestly it is pretty fucking fantastic unless your one of the people who hates the characters.

I'm going to download Speed Grapher and Soul Eater (I love the people involved in that show, have to check it out) been wanting to watch some anime for the last month.

A nation consists of its laws. A nation does not consist of its situation at a given time. If an individual's morals are situational, then that individual is without morals. If a nation's laws are situational, that nation has no laws, and soon isn't a nation.
-William Gibson
Bzalthek
Terracotta Army

Reply #941 on: March 11, 2009, 11:54:06 AM

FLCL pissed me off because it was only 6 episodes.  I really enjoyed it.  Haruhi is a hit or miss anime.  I personally loved it.  Give it a couple more episodes to get past the formulaic introduction episodes.

I'm assuming GTO is Great Teacher Onizuka?  A+ show in my book.  (Though it may be because I'm working my way through school to be a teacher, but whatever.)  That's going to be hard to match up...

Have you tried watching Gokusen?  It's got some similarities to GTO, though not a whole lot.  

I'm gonna wing some suggestions, look em up if you feel inclined.  They're not nearly related to one another except for probably in my head.
Welcome to the NHK!
Minami-ke
Lucky Star
Genshiken

To be honest, there's not a whole hell of a lot of comedy that isn't excessive fanservice crap.
I'll keep my eyes open though.

stray
Terracotta Army

has an iMac.

Reply #942 on: March 11, 2009, 02:59:56 PM

Thanks y'all.

I almost want to give Soul Eater another try, just for the art alone. Really like it. I just don't care enough about it to pay that much attention... but it seems dub torrents are hard to come by.

Yeah, by GTO I mean Onizuka.

[edit] By the way, what's meant by "fanservice"? I see that term used a bit.
Yoru

Reply #943 on: March 11, 2009, 05:03:01 PM

[edit] By the way, what's meant by "fanservice"? I see that term used a bit.

Gratuitous sexualized content inserted entirely to titillate the fanbase. See: panty shots, hot spring scenes, pretty much all of Eiken, Burn Up, or their ilk.

In essence, the production team "servicing" the fans.
schild
Administrator

Reply #944 on: March 11, 2009, 05:10:14 PM

It doesn't even have to be sexualized. Any use of anything, a character or otherwise, in a place where there's absolutely no reason for it to be and exists only for fans - for example, putting any actual FF characters in Kingdom Hearts.
Pages: 1 ... 25 26 [27] 28 29 ... 59 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Topic: Anime recommendations  
Jump to: