Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 17, 2024, 09:27:01 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Topic: Anime recommendations 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20 21 ... 59 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Anime recommendations  (Read 649472 times)
Strazos
Greetings from the Slave Coast

The World's Worst Game: Curry or Covid

Reply #630 on: September 10, 2007, 07:45:04 PM

Wait, Inuyasha is still ongoing?

shocked

Fear the Backstab!
"Plato said the virtuous man is at all times ready for a grammar snake attack." - we are lesion
"Hell is other people." -Sartre
rk47
Terracotta Army

The Patron Saint of Radicalthons

Reply #631 on: September 10, 2007, 09:08:40 PM

So, I haven't been into Anime for awhile now and just realized there's been some good stuff around. Just looking for a list of some good ones to watch that aren't the love themed ones. I've seen way too many of those.
I can tell you what to avoid and that is Haruhi and Lucky Star. I watched a few episodes of both after seeing people cream their pants over both of them at pretty much every online community I visit, and I want that 3 hours of my life back. They're both awful and insipid. Don't buy into the hype.

Bartender I've seen some of and I liked it a lot but I'm pretty sure it's not for everyone.

Maybe you just don't "get" them. Or perhaps you simply have different tastes. Maybe they're just Not For You.

Now, if you had said that about Naruto, Inuyasha, or Bleach, I'd agree with you wholeheartedly.  evil

I don't think it's about 'understanding' it. The fact is Haruhi is a just a standard, girlfriend has superpowers something like that was in Hollywood, but in a more subtle manner. But the way they go about it with non-sequenced episodes...the first one was really fucked up probably didn't help. I understand what the show is about but i'm still wondering why the hell is it so popular.

Lucky star is something like Peanuts comic strip. I remember watching the first episode and felt numb. Which side should I eat this bread from oooooo.  undecided It slowly gets better sometimes..but overall still hovers slightly above average.

Colonel Sanders is back in my wallet
Fabricated

~Living the Dream~

Reply #632 on: September 11, 2007, 03:44:15 AM

So, I haven't been into Anime for awhile now and just realized there's been some good stuff around. Just looking for a list of some good ones to watch that aren't the love themed ones. I've seen way too many of those.
I can tell you what to avoid and that is Haruhi and Lucky Star. I watched a few episodes of both after seeing people cream their pants over both of them at pretty much every online community I visit, and I want that 3 hours of my life back. They're both awful and insipid. Don't buy into the hype.

Bartender I've seen some of and I liked it a lot but I'm pretty sure it's not for everyone.

Maybe you just don't "get" them. Or perhaps you simply have different tastes. Maybe they're just Not For You.

Now, if you had said that about Naruto, Inuyasha, or Bleach, I'd agree with you wholeheartedly.  evil
A good % of the episodes in all three of those (especially Inuyasha) fit the "insipid" title quite well, even if I do watch 2 of them (Naruto and Bleach are losing me though. Everything eventually becomes DBZ, BLARGH ARGGG POWER LEVELS GRUNT URRRR). Haruhi and Lucky Star just bored me to death. Are dance number openings and weak metahumor really that awesome? Then again maybe I just don't dig Japanese "comedy"; I did hate Jungle Wa Itsumo, Excel Saga, Azumanga, etc.

Wait, Inuyasha is still ongoing?

shocked
Nope. They ended the tv show in the middle of a run with a "Well looks like we'll continue to fight and blah blah blah!!" hopeful narration when the popularity finally sputtered out. I'm sure there's like 200 volumes of manga after that with Inuyasha and Kagome screaming eachother's names Akira style.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2007, 03:46:27 AM by Fabricated »

"The world is populated in the main by people who should not exist." - George Bernard Shaw
Simond
Terracotta Army

Reply #633 on: September 11, 2007, 04:07:51 AM

No, actually, that sounds like a typical Takahashi (non-)ending.
See: Pretty much everything she ever did bar Maison Ikkoku.

"You're really a good person, aren't you? So, there's no path for you to take here. Go home. This isn't a place for someone like you."
Strazos

Reply #634 on: September 11, 2007, 07:18:13 PM

I don't know about the dance numbers, but yeah, Metahumor can be pretty damn amusing, though a lot of people will miss the jokes.

Fear the Backstab!
"Plato said the virtuous man is at all times ready for a grammar snake attack." - we are lesion
Strazos

Reply #635 on: September 12, 2007, 04:54:51 PM

Since I was looking for Higurashi/Lucky Star torrents anyway, I tried to look up the TTGL torrents....

WTF? AniDB.net says they're up to 23, but no group has done 1-23?

Any suggestions on which subbers I should use for what episodes?

Fear the Backstab!
Yoru

the y master, king of bourbon

Reply #636 on: September 12, 2007, 06:25:22 PM

Since I was looking for Higurashi/Lucky Star torrents anyway, I tried to look up the TTGL torrents....

ADTRW, Anon, BSS-Anon, Black-Order, in order of descending quality (in general). Black-Order has a 1-13 rollup out, the rest will rely on your own ingenuity.
Sairon
Terracotta Army

Reply #637 on: September 13, 2007, 06:14:09 PM

A good % of the episodes in all three of those (especially Inuyasha) fit the "insipid" title quite well, even if I do watch 2 of them (Naruto and Bleach are losing me though. Everything eventually becomes DBZ, BLARGH ARGGG POWER LEVELS GRUNT URRRR). Haruhi and Lucky Star just bored me to death. Are dance number openings and weak metahumor really that awesome? Then again maybe I just don't dig Japanese "comedy"; I did hate Jungle Wa Itsumo, Excel Saga, Azumanga, etc.

I'm of the same opinion, found Haruhi to be extremely overrated and also just following Naruto and Bleach because they used to be good entertainment. You should pick up Claymore if you haven't, you'd probably love it. The first couple of episodes might be mediocre but after that it turns into greatness.
Fabricated

~Living the Dream~

Reply #638 on: September 13, 2007, 09:58:09 PM

I'm of the same opinion, found Haruhi to be extremely overrated and also just following Naruto and Bleach because they used to be good entertainment. You should pick up Claymore if you haven't, you'd probably love it. The first couple of episodes might be mediocre but after that it turns into greatness.
I heard Claymore was the new Berserk and instantly became interested, I just haven't gotten around to getting any episodes.

"The world is populated in the main by people who should not exist." - George Bernard Shaw
rk47
Terracotta Army

Reply #639 on: September 14, 2007, 03:55:41 AM

can't get into claymore for some reason. my brain just went 'no no no' when i see chicks waving big swords around while looking smug.

Pennilenko
Terracotta Army

Reply #640 on: September 14, 2007, 09:52:14 AM

can't get into claymore for some reason. my brain just went 'no no no' when i see chicks waving big swords around while looking smug.

If you give claymore some more time, your brain will say, "Yes, yes, yes!" Then you will understand that that smug look is really just a bunch of cool angst.

"See?  All of you are unique.  And special.  Like fucking snowflakes."  -- Signe
Hoax
Terracotta Army

l33t kiddie

Reply #641 on: September 15, 2007, 01:42:20 AM

I was hoping it was a killer's detached gaze myself, but I'm going to check it out either way sometime soon.

A nation consists of its laws. A nation does not consist of its situation at a given time. If an individual's morals are situational, then that individual is without morals. If a nation's laws are situational, that nation has no laws, and soon isn't a nation.
-William Gibson
Evil Elvis
Terracotta Army

Reply #642 on: September 16, 2007, 04:54:35 PM

I liked Planetes.  It had a lot of the familiar anime trappings, but the characters were enjoyable, and the story was interesting.
Simond
Terracotta Army

Reply #643 on: September 17, 2007, 10:48:08 AM

Do the impossible, see the invisible, ROW ROW FIGHT THE POWA!
Touch the untouchable, break the unbreakable, ROW ROW FIGHT THE POWA!
 Rock on!

TTGL just. keeps. GETTING. BETTER.
(and I have no idea how)

"You're really a good person, aren't you? So, there's no path for you to take here. Go home. This isn't a place for someone like you."
Yoru

Reply #644 on: September 17, 2007, 11:10:37 AM

Do the impossible, see the invisible, ROW ROW FIGHT THE POWA!
Touch the untouchable, break the unbreakable, ROW ROW FIGHT THE POWA!
 Rock on!

TTGL just. keeps. GETTING. BETTER.
(and I have no idea how)

The truth: I quote it.

Sunday cannot come fast enough.
Evil Elvis
Terracotta Army

Reply #645 on: September 20, 2007, 06:38:18 PM

Based on what ppl have said here, I checked out Claymore and Gurren-Lagann. 

I've watched 5 eps of TTGL, and I'm pretty sure I hate it.

I stuck with Claymore despite the "meh" first few eps, and I really got into it despite the amgpowerupz! crap.  I'm starting to get worried though, because while the last few episodes have had a lot of action, they're DBZ'ing the fuck out it.
Yoru

Reply #646 on: September 23, 2007, 02:18:09 AM

Yeah sure 300 parodies are passe these days.

SO WHAT?! THIS. IS. MY. DRILL!

Spoilers that go up to about episode 25.
Simond
Terracotta Army

Reply #647 on: September 24, 2007, 06:16:40 AM

I am now convinced that TTGL is the anti-Evangelion.

Arrrgh
Terracotta Army

Reply #648 on: September 24, 2007, 05:24:39 PM

Strazos

Reply #649 on: September 24, 2007, 10:03:54 PM

Apparently, Adult Swim is going to start airing Deathnote soon.

I have no idea what the quality of the English dub is, but I'll try to watch it as I never got around to watching the JP version.

Fear the Backstab!
Simond
Terracotta Army

Reply #650 on: September 28, 2007, 09:09:51 AM

Well, the School Days finale finally aired...BAD END (and nice boat, too).

Also: Geneon USA has gone into receivership in the last couple of days.

Hoax
Terracotta Army

l33t kiddie

Reply #651 on: September 28, 2007, 09:11:02 AM

Yeah there is minor panic about wtf is going on w/ Geneon.  It really sucks because they had been licensing everything good for the last 6 months or so...

A nation consists of its laws. A nation does not consist of its situation at a given time. If an individual's morals are situational, then that individual is without morals. If a nation's laws are situational, that nation has no laws, and soon isn't a nation.
-William Gibson
Yoru

Reply #652 on: October 01, 2007, 12:32:00 AM

Welp, it's over.

God damn that was an awesome series. Easily one of the best I've ever seen.
SurfD
Terracotta Army

Reply #653 on: October 01, 2007, 03:56:28 AM

ADTRW, Anon, BSS-Anon, Black-Order, in order of descending quality (in general). Black-Order has a 1-13 rollup out, the rest will rely on your own ingenuity.
What, exactly, does ADTRW convert into when it is not an acronym?  To give us some help when attempting to identify the sub group.

Darwinism is the Gateway Science.
Simond
Terracotta Army

Reply #654 on: October 01, 2007, 05:21:11 AM

Anime Death Tentacle Rape Whorehouse.
It's the Something Awful anime forum, and ADTRW/Studio ADTRW usually spontaneously (re)forms whenever people there are fed up with waiting for subs. :)

Bittersweet ending is bittersweet...and it leave a whole bunch of room for prequels, sequels and spin-offs.
OST in a couple of days, too.

Chenghiz
Terracotta Army

Reply #655 on: October 01, 2007, 10:43:40 AM

Can someone link me or PM me a link to TTGL? I can't find the first episodes for shit and tv-links is failing me.
Yoru

Reply #656 on: October 01, 2007, 10:58:06 AM

Can someone link me or PM me a link to TTGL? I can't find the first episodes for shit and tv-links is failing me.

Google for Black Order Gurren Lagann.

:)
Chenghiz
Terracotta Army

Reply #657 on: October 01, 2007, 08:18:01 PM

Oh I didn't know it was licensed already. I guess that would explain the scarcity, thanks.
Simond
Terracotta Army

Reply #658 on: October 05, 2007, 05:42:59 AM

Everyone who dislikes Haruhi/Lucky Star but likes Kanon '06 should be watching Clannad, btw.

Strazos

Reply #659 on: October 05, 2007, 08:08:56 PM

Is there such a person?

Fear the Backstab!
Hoax
Terracotta Army

l33t kiddie

Reply #660 on: October 06, 2007, 08:41:09 AM

People are fucking broken...

-William Gibson
rk47
Terracotta Army

Reply #661 on: October 07, 2007, 08:35:50 AM

Everyone who dislikes Haruhi/Lucky Star but likes Kanon '06 should be watching Clannad, btw.

Clannad is so......so.....Generically Good. Or something like that. There is really nothing that amazed me but at the same time I kinda say, 'Ok, at least it didn't go over the top and claim itself to be something it isn't'  That said, ok. Go Clannad. Go.  tongue

stu
Terracotta Army

Reply #662 on: October 07, 2007, 08:16:14 PM

I started watching Gurren Lagann. Definitely kick ass. The characters are funny and the animation rocks.

Dear Diary,
Jackpot!
schild
Administrator

Reply #663 on: October 07, 2007, 09:16:17 PM

I'm watching Umisho now for the tit humor.
Simond
Terracotta Army

Reply #664 on: October 08, 2007, 03:14:59 AM

I'm letting other people do three episode tests on the new series first, then I'll see what I'm interested in.  :-D

Someone on ADTRW has an interesting theory about the new Gundam series, incidentally: The stereotypical (recent) Gundam series starts out with a war going on, then about halfway through the protagonist/his girlfirend turn into pacifists and fight to end the war.

The new series starts out with the Gundam pilots already doing that part (and with other characters pointing out the inherant contradiction of 'fighting for peace'), so the speculation goes that it's going to be a reverse of the usual story in that aobut halfway through the hero goes "You know what? Maybe there is such a thing as a just war after all" and start blowing stuff up with great gusto.

At the very least, this one shouldn't end up with the director's wife's Gundam fanfiction being turned into scripts. (SEED/SEED Destiny, I'm looking at you here)

Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20 21 ... 59 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Topic: Anime recommendations  
Jump to: