Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 22, 2024, 04:18:37 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Topic: Anime recommendations 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 59 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Anime recommendations  (Read 650118 times)
LC
Terracotta Army

Reply #350 on: March 22, 2007, 02:03:56 PM

The new anime season will be starting soon. You can look at a translated version of moonphase's list here. Also contains a comments section with bickering and trolling between different groups and their lackeys. The original and much longer list can be found at moonphase of course.

Didn't see it mentioned here, but I didn't really look hard either.

The ones that stand out (at least for me) so far:

Gurren Lagann
Mahou Shoujo Lyrical Nanoha StrikerS
Hayate
Heroic Age
xenoglossia
Romeo x Juliet
Gigantic Formula
jeeg
Darker than black
Koutetsu Sangokushi
moribito
terra-e
Koutetsu Sangokushi
kami-chama Karin
bokurano
Emma
Skullman
Devil May Cry
stray
Terracotta Army

has an iMac.

Reply #351 on: March 22, 2007, 04:18:53 PM

I know jack and shit about everything you listed there. Except DMC. I'm a big fan of the games, but I'm afraid the anime series could get really corny. Like, really, really bad. I know the games do (fortunately, they have other strengths).

I want to see the new Naruto stuff too, but I'll just wait until it's a season in. I'm probably bourgeois to someone here for liking it so much, but I don't give a fuck.
angry.bob
Terracotta Army

We're no strangers to love. You know the rules and so do I.

Reply #352 on: March 22, 2007, 07:20:09 PM

I want to see the new Naruto stuff too, but I'll just wait until it's a season in. I'm probably bourgeois to someone here for liking it so much, but I don't give a fuck.

It's pretty good. It's not high art, but if you liked the part of the first series that followed the manga, you'll like it just fine. I watched the show up to about episode 160 and had to take a break from the filler stuff. Why people are snobs about either Naruto or Bleach is beyond me. neither is high art, but neither pretends to be. They're both fun shows and there's no fucking harems or early teens piloting giant robot superweapons for the military - rare as hell in anime.

Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muß man schweigen.
Strazos
Greetings from the Slave Coast

The World's Worst Game: Curry or Covid

Reply #353 on: March 22, 2007, 09:49:33 PM

I don't like either because I find them to be boring crap. Also, I'm extremely biased against lengthy series; 12-25 episodes is the sweet spot for me.

Also, you missed the new Higurashi.

Fear the Backstab!
"Plato said the virtuous man is at all times ready for a grammar snake attack." - we are lesion
"Hell is other people." -Sartre
WindupAtheist
Army of One

Badicalthon

Reply #354 on: March 22, 2007, 09:59:00 PM

All anime has to pass what I call the Dad Test.  This means I have to be able to watch it with my 58 year old father and not feel embarrassed for myself. Big O passed the Dad Test just fine, and he actually recommended Armitage: Dual Matrix to me after catching it on Showtime one night.  But if I were to put on most of what runs on Adult Swim anymore, he'd look over at me and ask me when I went queer.

So what's out there that can pass the Dad Test?  He likes James Cameron movies and there's no such thing as too much cinematic violence in his book, if that helps.

"You're just a dick who quotes himself in his sig."  --  Schild
"Yeah, it's pretty awesome."  --  Me
Yoru

the y master, king of bourbon

Reply #355 on: March 22, 2007, 11:23:12 PM

Black Lagoon, probably. It's one of the better new action series.

Really, though, I don't see a whole lot in the spring anime season to excite me, although I have been watching the Les Miz anime just kinda 'cuz.
Strazos

Reply #356 on: March 22, 2007, 11:42:07 PM

There's, uh....Some Maria-sama ga Miteru OVAs coming out.

Shut Up.

Fear the Backstab!
"Plato said the virtuous man is at all times ready for a grammar snake attack." - we are lesion
stray
Terracotta Army

has an iMac.

Reply #357 on: March 22, 2007, 11:53:37 PM

For my Dad, nothing would pass the Dad test...

I share a lot of the same interests with him, but anime isn't one of them (actually, I'm not the biggest anime fan myself either. At least in the big picture of things). I'd never hold it as a standard on how I should view things, and couldn't help with any recommendations if that's your criteria.

It's pretty good. It's not high art, but if you liked the part of the first series that followed the manga, you'll like it just fine. I watched the show up to about episode 160 and had to take a break from the filler stuff. Why people are snobs about either Naruto or Bleach is beyond me. neither is high art, but neither pretends to be. They're both fun shows and there's no fucking harems or early teens piloting giant robot superweapons for the military - rare as hell in anime.

Actually, I like the whole thing. I don't see why some people feel it dropped in quality after the first 50-60 eps or so. Right after Zabuza, you get the Chounin Exam, Orochimaru, and Gaara. Which rocked. Then after that, Tsunade and Jiraiya, and more Orochimaru. Then after that, Sasuke's betrayal, etc.. It has some weak moments, but nothing worth scoffing at really.

But yeah, it's not high art. It is the best shounen type of series I've seen though (or could even stick with in the long run). It's more broadly appealing than the average battle heavy series. Lots of non action related drama and character development, great female and male characters, and a fair share of comedy too.
LC
Terracotta Army

Reply #358 on: March 23, 2007, 01:06:54 AM

« Last Edit: March 23, 2007, 01:08:34 AM by LC »
stray
Terracotta Army

has an iMac.

Reply #359 on: March 23, 2007, 01:14:51 AM

All of those look really good. Except the Idolmaster one.

They're all series? Some look like feature films.
LC
Terracotta Army

Reply #360 on: March 23, 2007, 01:35:33 AM

They're all series? Some look like feature films.

All are series that will begin airing next month.
Stormwaltz
Terracotta Army

Reply #361 on: March 23, 2007, 02:10:06 AM

True enough, but personally I find that even Sunrise's failures are interesting.

Nothing in this post represents the views of my current or previous employers.

"Isn't that just like an elf? Brings a spell to a gun fight."

"Sci-Fi writers don't invent the future, they market it."
- Henry Cobb
stray
Terracotta Army

has an iMac.

Reply #362 on: March 23, 2007, 02:46:24 AM

Well... I wouldn't mind playing the game. Just for kicks. I'm a sucker for anything sim-like, and wish there was more of the Japanese variety in the States. Also, I like cel-shading, and it looks downright amazing in that respect.

Wouldn't really care about that thing in a form of passive entertainment though (on the other hand, it would appear that Xenoglossia doesn't have anything close to the same premise -- Except I still don't care).
LC
Terracotta Army

Reply #363 on: March 23, 2007, 02:59:17 AM

For my Dad, nothing would pass the Dad test...

I share a lot of the same interests with him, but anime isn't one of them (actually, I'm not the biggest anime fan myself either. At least in the big picture of things). I'd never hold it as a standard on how I should view things, and couldn't help with any recommendations if that's your criteria.

Actually, I like the whole thing. I don't see why some people feel it dropped in quality after the first 50-60 eps or so. Right after Zabuza, you get the Chounin Exam, Orochimaru, and Gaara. Which rocked. Then after that, Tsunade and Jiraiya, and more Orochimaru. Then after that, Sasuke's betrayal, etc.. It has some weak moments, but nothing worth scoffing at really.

But yeah, it's not high art. It is the best shounen type of series I've seen though (or could even stick with in the long run). It's more broadly appealing than the average battle heavy series. Lots of non action related drama and character development, great female and male characters, and a fair share of comedy too.

Naruto is awful period. They should cancel that shit and replace it with a new season of GODANNAR.
schild
Administrator

Reply #364 on: March 23, 2007, 03:27:33 AM

Naruto wasn't awful. Period. It wasn't what most make it out to be, but I thought the first 25 or so episodes were great. I stopped watching around episode 40 or 50 though.

Doesn't matter though, it absolutely pales in comparison to Hunter X Hunter.

Godannar looks like dog shit. Fucking robots. It's funny, cuz I agree with a lot of LC's likes, but goddamn.

Also, Big O? Why am I the only one who found it to be unbearable dreck? Granted when people over here started watching that, I think I had just gotten through Abenobashi Mahou Shotengai for a second time.
stray
Terracotta Army

has an iMac.

Reply #365 on: March 23, 2007, 04:13:22 AM

Never seen Godannar. I don't have anything against giant robots necessarily, but I've yet to see anything that kept me glued to the screen for an extended period of time (even the so called greatest stuff that's been around over the years). So far, I can digest it in a movie at best.

If a series is going to win me over with long drawn out battles, then it'll more than likely need 1) martial arts and 2) human fighters and conflicts. Supernatural stuff is cool too. The gold standard for me is still Hokuto/Fist of the North Star.

Naruto, of course, doesn't live up to that either....But it makes up for it on other angles. It's an entertaining little show all around -- but I'm not trying to make it out like the greatest thing or whatever.

[EDIT] That being said, I'll give Godannar a chance. Haven't seen HXH either, but I have it queued up.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2007, 04:16:43 AM by Stray »
Sairon
Terracotta Army

Reply #366 on: March 23, 2007, 04:21:23 AM

Watched first episode of Godannar, didn't like it at all. I like Naruto more than HxH if you exclude fillers. My personal favorite is Berserk, it's so raw and badass.
LC
Terracotta Army

Reply #367 on: March 23, 2007, 04:39:40 AM

Naruto wasn't awful. Period. It wasn't what most make it out to be, but I thought the first 25 or so episodes were great. I stopped watching around episode 40 or 50 though.

Doesn't matter though, it absolutely pales in comparison to Hunter X Hunter.

Godannar looks like dog shit. Fucking robots. It's funny, cuz I agree with a lot of LC's likes, but goddamn.

Also, Big O? Why am I the only one who found it to be unbearable dreck? Granted when people over here started watching that, I think I had just gotten through Abenobashi Mahou Shotengai for a second time.

If you shortened it into 39 episodes it might be decent.

Yes HxH is one of my favorites as well. I didn't say HxH because you had already mentioned it. Too bad HxH won't be finished anytime soon if ever. I don't think there have been any manga releases in over a year.

I also wish they would finish Narutaru someday. You should definitely get it if you haven't watched it already.

Narutaru

During her summer holiday at her grandparents house Tamai Shiina, a young and cheerful schoolgirl, meets a strange looking creature. They befriend each other and Shiina names it "Hoshimaru - The Round Star".When Shiina returns home efter the summer to go back to school she starts meeting other kids that also have befriended a strange creaturelike Hoshimaru. But she soon finds out that not all these creatures and their masters are as friendly as Hoshimaru.

*Note: Not suitable for children due to some brutal killings and scenes of extreme cruelty.

Big O sucked because it was paid for with American money.

Godannar is awesome.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2007, 05:15:37 AM by LC »
LC
Terracotta Army

Reply #368 on: March 23, 2007, 05:11:27 AM

No delete post option...
« Last Edit: March 23, 2007, 05:14:34 AM by LC »
Strazos

Reply #369 on: March 23, 2007, 07:25:39 AM

I don't fare well with mecha. Eva, Full Metal Panic - fine. But beyond that, my tolerance for such stuff is...limited.

Fear the Backstab!
Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #370 on: March 23, 2007, 08:58:30 AM

I thought the same.

Hahahaha!  I'm really good at this!
Strazos

Reply #371 on: March 23, 2007, 09:23:53 AM

Thirded.

Fear the Backstab!
Hoax
Terracotta Army

l33t kiddie

Reply #372 on: March 26, 2007, 11:46:56 AM

The only things that have passed my "first four eps made me want to see more" test recently were:

-Code Geass:  Mecha but decent, which is good enough for me I love giant robots.

-Bakumatsu Kikansetsu Irohanihoheto:  Samurai-swordplay, politics, revenge etc. but with a few extra twists for spice.

-Shounen Onmyouji: This is pretty indicative of how bad the start of '07 has been for anime, this show only seems good by comparison.  Its watchable "fluff" about a boy who is a demon-catcher.  The young romance was sort of cute and the mascot/animal/shinigami was pretty likeable for once.

A nation consists of its laws. A nation does not consist of its situation at a given time. If an individual's morals are situational, then that individual is without morals. If a nation's laws are situational, that nation has no laws, and soon isn't a nation.
-William Gibson
Yoru

the y master, king of bourbon

Reply #373 on: March 26, 2007, 12:51:31 PM

I've been following Geass on and off. It's kinda meh for me; too much cliched melodrama in between the action episodes. Too many cliches in general.
LC
Terracotta Army

Reply #374 on: March 27, 2007, 02:21:21 PM

Mecha but decent, which is good enough for me I love giant robots.

The same goes for me as well. I will watch anything with giant robots.

You shouldn't have any trouble finding something to watch in April.
Strazos

Reply #375 on: March 27, 2007, 11:14:03 PM

What...The...Fuck. (Opens a WMV, smallish)

Fear the Backstab!
RhyssaFireheart
Terracotta Army

Reply #376 on: March 28, 2007, 12:34:27 AM

What...The...Fuck. (Opens a WMV, smallish)

I'll see you and raise you Pocky Dance.

(I've been on a GitS:SAC kick since I missed it the first time around.  Found this gem searching for episodes until my bonus comes in this month.  :mrgreen:  )

Strazos

Reply #377 on: March 28, 2007, 12:49:26 AM

No idea what that was, besides the guy trying to be Batou. I think the first guy was from GitS as well, the sniper guy.

Fear the Backstab!
RhyssaFireheart
Terracotta Army

Reply #378 on: March 28, 2007, 12:55:24 AM

Yeah, main guy there was cosplaying Saito.  I only found it because I was looking for 2nd Gig episode 14.  Sniper= Heart but I'm weird like that.

I will admit to having dressed up for GenCon one year, but it wasn't as anyone specific (ah, pseudo-Scottish female is all).  And I sure as hell can't imagine running around like that while someone video tapes it.  Too old and stuffy now, I guess.   embarassed

Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #379 on: March 28, 2007, 08:21:45 AM

Was the first guy supposed to be Ishikawa?

Strazos

Reply #380 on: March 28, 2007, 09:01:42 PM

I would go as Kyon...or Yuuichi. They're practically the same character anyway.

(I'm too much of a wuss to do that anyway, oh well)

Fear the Backstab!
Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #381 on: March 29, 2007, 11:30:50 AM

Awww, cosplay is fun.  With the right costume, girls are all over you, too.  (With the wrong costume, fangirls are all over you.)

Furiously
Terracotta Army

Reply #382 on: March 29, 2007, 11:38:32 AM

Somehow that paints this picture in my mind... "My baby's mommy thought my Vash the Stampeed costume was cool...."

Strazos

Reply #383 on: March 29, 2007, 11:42:49 AM

lolz

Fear the Backstab!
SimuKaren
Developers

Simutronics

Reply #384 on: April 02, 2007, 06:32:57 AM

Wait a minute here. This topic is well over a year old, and nobody has yet mentioned my favorite anime of all time... and yes, I did read all eleven pages.

For the love of God and all that is holy, somebody please say they both watched and enjoyed Ayashi No Ceres as much as I did!

That said, I have taken from this thread many serieseses that I needs must watch. Thank you all for this semi-comprehensive list of recommendations.  :-D

"Let the tigers come with their claws!" - The Rose, The Little Prince
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 59 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Topic: Anime recommendations  
Jump to: