Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 03, 2024, 12:12:55 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: Original Video Game ST 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Original Video Game ST  (Read 7792 times)
HAMMER FRENZY
Contributor

on: December 11, 2007, 12:54:51 PM

I was driving around the other day and was humming some tunes when I realized that a majority of the game music my particular group of friends and I grew up on and loved was just great. I just thought it would be cool if we all shared each others favorite game ST's and got each other listening to new stuff.

Try to avoid ST's that have any licensed music. Keep it all original stuff.

Just to start. I fucking love the F-Zero Soundtracks. All of them. F-Zero X has one of the most awesome ST's and FZ GP Legend and FZ Climaz have two of the greatest 16-bit ST's of all time in my opinion.

The fact that Suzac (GBA FZ developer) had a guy (Kenji Hikita is a goddamn monster) who could make original F-Zero compositions that sound like they should be with all the other F-Zero classics is just freaking awesome.   

My Genesis games... LET ME SHOW YOU THEM!
Zetleft
Terracotta Army

Reply #1 on: December 11, 2007, 01:02:10 PM

Streets of Rage had an awesome opening intro. 
schild
Administrator

Reply #2 on: December 11, 2007, 01:13:10 PM

What is this "ST" abbreviation.

Try Video Game OST. No one uses ST. That's just funky weird.

That said.

Katamari Damacy.
Street Fighter 2.
Final Fantasy VI.
Marble Madness.
Shadow of the Colossus.
Deus Ex Main Theme.

Game. Set. Match.
Velorath
Contributor

Reply #3 on: December 11, 2007, 01:16:00 PM

What is this "ST" abbreviation.

Try Video Game OST. No one uses ST. That's just funky weird.

That said.

Katamari Damacy.
Street Fighter 2.
Final Fantasy VI.
Marble Madness.
Shadow of the Colossus.
Deus Ex Main Theme.

Game. Set. Match.

Castlevania beats just about every one of those.
Mazakiel
Terracotta Army

Reply #4 on: December 11, 2007, 01:16:47 PM

I would have to add Castlevania:  SotN to any soundtrack list.  I loved the music in that game. 

edit:  Beat to the punch, but it bears repeating.  Castlevania rocks. 
schild
Administrator

Reply #5 on: December 11, 2007, 01:18:28 PM

Actually, I'd add Castlevania 1. maybe 3. But none of the others. Well that's not true. I'd add the track Jail of Jewels also.

But I can't listen to castlevania all the time. I can listen to those above all the time.

Edit: Real Point of my post was F-Zero? No, I think I'd rather listen to happy 2 b hardcore for 36 hours straight. Ridge Racer has better music than F-Zero by a fair margin. And it sounds less like campy game music.
HAMMER FRENZY
Contributor

Reply #6 on: December 11, 2007, 01:22:45 PM

Yah I like OST. Anyway, SF had a great OST, oddly enough the EX games had a freaking great sound track. They were just really good. Tekken Tag on the PS2 was also very good, as well as Guilty Gear XX (non Korean version).

Streets of Rage 1 and 2 had some of the greatest 16 bit OST's. They were damn great. Unfortunately Yuzo Koshiro was wasted during Bare Knuckle 3 so that OST was kinda weird. All that guy touches is gold though. He did Portrait of Ruin recently...

Schild: On the F-Zero thing. Wow you are retarded. ACK!

schild
Administrator

Reply #7 on: December 11, 2007, 01:26:41 PM

Schild: On the F-Zero thing. Wow you are retarded.

Not really, that shit is frenetic. Way too frenetic. There's not enough sugar in the world to make that music enjoyable while you're not playing the game.
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #8 on: December 11, 2007, 01:34:36 PM

HoMaM 3
Quake
HAMMER FRENZY
Contributor

Reply #9 on: December 11, 2007, 01:47:44 PM

I liked quake. I also liked the OST from Perfect Dark, (there was some deathmatch music in that) and to continue with the fighting game thing, I also really liked Killer Instinct Jaja  awesome, for real

I also have heart bubbles for the Contra Shattered Soldier OST and Einhander.

Oddly enough, I actually liked the R-type Delta OST than Einhander though. That sound track was solid as hell.

Schild: Really, you are silly. You have your silly pants on and you don't even know it. F-Zero is the only Racing game that didn't BS its OST by filling it with techno or raunchy dance club mixes. (Only done correctly by, surprise suprise, Yuzo Koshiro, in Wangan Midnight Maximum Tune) It has consistently stuck to its roots and drilled power rock, power metal themes to accompany its frantic ass racing.  It is still in the minority of OSTs that many people can remember once hearing just a few notes. You'd be surprised how many people can call out Big Blue or Mute City. Listen to the F-Zero X OST or the GX one. They are good. The GX one was awesome cause ti made you think it was going all silly electronica in the initial laps then slaps you with guitar solos while int he final laps. Brilliant...  swamp poop  And really, listen to the Falcon Densetsu OST. It is a high point in 16-bit era game composition.

Really, did you just the other day tell me how much you loved the Guilty Gear OST? Jaja.. Same shit, cept with Neo Classical flare... swamp poop Frenetic....
« Last Edit: December 11, 2007, 01:59:59 PM by HAMMER FRENZY »

schild
Administrator

Reply #10 on: December 11, 2007, 02:02:10 PM

I can call out Big Blue and Mute City because I played the game that much. Remember though, you come from a world of the abnormal. The vast majority of gamers out there have never seen F-Zero let alone play it.

Just because I like the Guilty Gear OST doesn't mean it's one of the best out here. Or anywhere near.

FFVI is the pinnacle of 16-bit OST. And don't call GP Legend "Falcon Densetsu" you silly weaboo.

What the hell is neo-classical about "frenetic." That's exactly what the F-Zero music is. It's supposed to be awesome WHILE YOU'RE RACING. I suppose if I was tearing down the 202 listening to it, it would be shit hot. But i'm not going to listen to it while I'm chilling at my desk on the internet. That's just fucking weird.
ahoythematey
Terracotta Army

Reply #11 on: December 11, 2007, 02:12:43 PM

Shadow of the Colossus.  Whole game is beautiful.

Zelda: Wind Waker.

Super Metroid.  Maridia's underwater rocky theme gives me chills.

Dungeon Siege.  Soule is awesome here, in my opinion better than his Elder Scrolls stuff.

Diablo 2 and LoD.  I turned the music off after beating the campaigns and doing multiplayer, but the music still kicked ass.

Mega Man X.  Storm Eagle's stage theme is all the reason I need.

Chrono Cross.  Except for the theme to Another Termina, that OST is ear candy.

Earthbound.  Offbeat and fucking brilliant.

I love almost all of the FF soundtracks, but if I had to pick just one it'd be 7, or Tactics.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2007, 02:16:37 PM by ahoythematey »
HAMMER FRENZY
Contributor

Reply #12 on: December 11, 2007, 02:17:35 PM

Schild: I have torn down the 202 listening to F-Zero, and you are correct. It is absolutely shit hot. But the songs are just as good to just listen to. For example, I really like the Katamari Demacy OST but that music too is better to listen to in game, but it in no way takes away from how good that soundtrack is.

F-Zero's sound track is supposed to be impressive while racing, but it is not like the type of music was created for F-Zero. The damn music sounds like most power metal bands. Listen to Racer X... It is F- Zero music with lyrics... F-Zero music is really good game music and that is the point. The music is damn grreat for that game and what it is trying to emphasize, fast, frantic racing. But outside of the game, the music is well done power rock, and when Nintendo had that band just play the music straight from the game on actual instruments, it sounded damn awesome.   

Oh and the Guilty Gear OST is really good. It is just a good sound track all together. Good like SF. Seriously.

Man I love the Megaman X soundtrack. It had a lot of memorable songs on it. One of my buddies was freaking obsessed with the Earthbound OST.

« Last Edit: December 11, 2007, 02:19:20 PM by HAMMER FRENZY »

ahoythematey
Terracotta Army

Reply #13 on: December 11, 2007, 03:04:36 PM

Hammer Frenzy, check out Overclocked Remix if you have not already, I think you'd appreciate it.
stray
Terracotta Army

has an iMac.

Reply #14 on: December 11, 2007, 04:10:39 PM

God of War title screen track (and elsewhere). Particularly cool at just right moments when I was pulling off some bone ripping move.

Legend of Zelda triforce/title screen track

Ground Zero Funk from Tekken 5 for corny techno stuff

Among others...

stray
Terracotta Army

has an iMac.

Reply #15 on: December 11, 2007, 04:40:31 PM

But I can't listen to castlevania all the time. I can listen to those above all the time.

See, that I can't do.. I just like them hand-in-hand with the game itself. I appreciate them for how they set mood and atmosphere, but don't really care to listen them by themselves.

I'm the same way with most film scores (not made by Morricone).
Yoshimaru
Terracotta Army

Reply #16 on: December 11, 2007, 04:59:45 PM

Chrono Trigger + Secret of Mana

That is all.

Edit: ^ Not

« Last Edit: December 11, 2007, 05:07:28 PM by Yoshimaru »
Rasix

I am the harbinger of your doom!

Reply #17 on: December 11, 2007, 06:38:17 PM

Persona 3's OST was excellent. It just worked perfectly for the game.

-Rasix
stu
Terracotta Army

Reply #18 on: December 11, 2007, 10:22:56 PM

Impend, from Halo 2   

Yeah, I know everyone here loves Halo.  tongue

Dear Diary,
Jackpot!
Simond
Terracotta Army

Reply #19 on: December 12, 2007, 02:51:05 AM

Pretty much anything from Amiga-era Team 17 games had a good 'soundtrack' (title track at least). Likewise The Bitmap Brothers.
James Pond 2: Robocod for turning the Robocop main theme into a bouncy, happy Mario-esque tune.

And, of course, the Turrican 2 soundtrack was a masterpiece as well as a mindblowing technical demonstration.

"You're really a good person, aren't you? So, there's no path for you to take here. Go home. This isn't a place for someone like you."
caladein
Terracotta Army

Reply #20 on: December 12, 2007, 03:07:29 AM

I'll throw in a couple more nods for FF Tactics's and Persona 3's OSTs.

The one I haven't seen mentioned is the Sonic 2 soundtrack, I remember that being almost retardly sticky in my head.

"Point being, they can't make everyone happy, so I hope they pick me." -Ingmar
"OH MY GOD WE'RE SURROUNDED SEND FOR BACKUP DIG IN DEFENSIVE POSITIONS MAN YOUR NECKBEARDS" -tgr
WindupAtheist
Army of One

Badicalthon

Reply #21 on: December 12, 2007, 05:53:49 AM

Mega Man 3

"You're just a dick who quotes himself in his sig."  --  Schild
"Yeah, it's pretty awesome."  --  Me
HAMMER FRENZY
Contributor

Reply #22 on: December 12, 2007, 07:09:11 AM

-Thunder Force 1 - 4
-The New Tetris (N64)
-Street Fighter III: 3rd Strike

JWIV
Terracotta Army

Reply #23 on: December 12, 2007, 07:14:24 AM

No Mechwarrior 2 love?  For shame.
Phildo
Contributor

Reply #24 on: December 12, 2007, 03:52:17 PM

Wild Arms.  The opening anime was magical.

Also, I have fond memories of the original theme to Lunar on the Sega CD.  Man, that was a bad song.
Hoax
Terracotta Army

l33t kiddie

Reply #25 on: December 12, 2007, 05:03:15 PM

Schild: On the F-Zero thing. Wow you are retarded.

Not really, that shit is frenetic. Way too frenetic. There's not enough sugar in the world to make that music enjoyable while you're not playing the game.

Sounds like you need to graduate to adult sugar son.  By that I mean pure Colombian blow.

P.S.  Can you add your own name to the fucking spell check already?  Nobody reads the update the spellcheck thread anymore...   Shaking fist

A nation consists of its laws. A nation does not consist of its situation at a given time. If an individual's morals are situational, then that individual is without morals. If a nation's laws are situational, that nation has no laws, and soon isn't a nation.
-William Gibson
Johny Cee
Terracotta Army

Reply #26 on: December 12, 2007, 05:51:45 PM

I still occassionally get the theme from Kid Icarus stuck in my head.  Damn kids, messing with my damn lawn.
stu
Terracotta Army

Reply #27 on: December 14, 2007, 12:36:26 PM

I've been going back through Portal and that soundtrack is awesome. Very minimal and filled with dread. It reminds me of the music from John Carpenter's The Thing. Compared to those old Nintendo games this soundtrack is never going to be iconic, but damn if it isn't perfect.

Dear Diary,
Jackpot!
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: Original Video Game ST  
Jump to: