Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 12, 2024, 01:30:12 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Topic: Zune v. iPod 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Zune v. iPod  (Read 17595 times)
caladein
Terracotta Army

Reply #35 on: April 17, 2008, 03:33:25 AM

I guess to me, "fixed" meant more than syncing. It meant being able to access the internet without restrictions like on the iPod Touch.

Yeah, I can hear that.

But with what input, the power of my mind?  Just putting in a WPA key via a Zune on-screen keyboard would make me put kittens in a microwave.

"Point being, they can't make everyone happy, so I hope they pick me." -Ingmar
"OH MY GOD WE'RE SURROUNDED SEND FOR BACKUP DIG IN DEFENSIVE POSITIONS MAN YOUR NECKBEARDS" -tgr
naum
Terracotta Army

Reply #36 on: April 17, 2008, 06:28:55 AM

I guess to me, "fixed" meant more than syncing. It meant being able to access the internet without restrictions like on the iPod Touch.

Yeah, I can hear that.

But with what input, the power of my mind?  Just putting in a WPA key via a Zune on-screen keyboard would make me put kittens in a microwave.

On the iPhone/iPod Touch, it just a simple password entry that is remembered.  And once you connect, it will auto-connect from then on, which isn't always desirable. Especially if you didn't want to connect to that WAP in the first place — a local Starbucks always connects now, and I don't want to pay (though if I can dredge it up, I believe I received a year free of T-mobile from OLPC purchase)…

"Should the batman kill Joker because it would save more lives?" is a fundamentally different question from "should the batman have a bunch of machineguns that go BATBATBATBATBAT because its totally cool?". ~Goumindong
Llava
Contributor

Rrava roves you rong time

Reply #37 on: April 17, 2008, 08:48:59 AM

What kind of free stuff would you expect in a software update then? They probably couldn't offer any of the touch/iphone specific software on another ipod even if they wanted to. Unless you mean something else?

Well, for example, the new-gen iPods have new UIs with the cover flow, as well as an assortment of games and the ability to install additional games from iTunes.  The previous-gen iPods don't, and they never bothered to update them to have those features.

When Microsoft put out new Zunes, they simultaneously released software updates to give the old Zunes the same features, everything except the larger drive capacity, of course.

The new gen ipods... As in, the "touch"?

Nope.  Got mine recently, it's not a Touch, it has cover flow.

That the saints may enjoy their beatitude and the grace of God more abundantly they are permitted to see the punishment of the damned in hell. -Saint Thomas Aquinas, Summa Theologica
stray
Terracotta Army

has an iMac.

Reply #38 on: April 17, 2008, 09:28:22 AM

Damn. That's bullshit then.
Venkman
Terracotta Army

Reply #39 on: April 17, 2008, 10:55:10 AM

They're a hardware company. I expect no less.

One thing I will say about the Touch that I don't like is the thing I miss most from my Nano: thumbwheel. You don't know frustration until you're trying to go back in a Podcast a mere minute or so while driving. I'm still surprised nobody in jailbreak land has created an onscreen thumbwheel.
Pennilenko
Terracotta Army

Reply #40 on: April 17, 2008, 11:00:59 AM

Hehe Ipod or Zune............Neither.

16 gig San Disk Sansa, which is easily integrated/controlled by my rhapsody client. Unlimited content constantly changable for one low monthly subscription and the only hasle from DRM is that you have to connect the player to a rhapsody client once per week or so.

"See?  All of you are unique.  And special.  Like fucking snowflakes."  -- Signe
DeathInABottle
Terracotta Army

Reply #41 on: April 17, 2008, 11:23:13 AM

Hehe Ipod or Zune............Neither.

16 gig San Disk Sansa, which is easily integrated/controlled by my rhapsody client. Unlimited content constantly changable for one low monthly subscription and the only hasle from DRM is that you have to connect the player to a rhapsody client once per week or so.
That and a "low monthly subscription" sound like more than a hassle to me.  I've got several thousand mp3 files on my hard drive already, and 300 CDs or so; no need for a downloading service.

Plus, 16GB?  Way too little.  I know there are a lot of cheap, low capacity players out there, but they're not for me.

The Zune still isn't available for retail in Canada (though it's supposed to be on sale "Spring 2008", whatever that means), so I can't do any hands-on comparison shopping yet.  Lame.

Another question: is it worth paying the $80 or whatever it is for the extended warranty?
naum
Terracotta Army

Reply #42 on: April 17, 2008, 11:30:30 AM

One thing I will say about the Touch that I don't like is the thing I miss most from my Nano: thumbwheel. You don't know frustration until you're trying to go back in a Podcast a mere minute or so while driving. I'm still surprised nobody in jailbreak land has created an onscreen thumbwheel.

They need to fix this. It's annoying, especially on longer podcasts.

"Should the batman kill Joker because it would save more lives?" is a fundamentally different question from "should the batman have a bunch of machineguns that go BATBATBATBATBAT because its totally cool?". ~Goumindong
Selby
Terracotta Army

Reply #43 on: April 17, 2008, 05:12:28 PM

Another question: is it worth paying the $80 or whatever it is for the extended warranty?
I usually look at it this way: if it was to break, would I have been glad to have spent the $80 to have it covered?  The only time I didn't buy the extended warrany on an expensive electronic device was when it broke.  I had to spend $400 x2 to get the other half's laptop repaired twice and it would have been covered had I bought the extra $150 warranty.  If it is a cheap enough item, $80 vs. $250 is what it comes down to really.
Prospero
Terracotta Army

Reply #44 on: April 17, 2008, 05:26:46 PM

The Apple replacement thing is totally worth it. Mine has survived past it in all cases, but a friend of mine is a gadget killer and has received fantastic service. I can think of two occasions where his iPod died during class in the morning, and he came back after lunch with a brand new player. With the iPods it seems like they pretty much just hand you a new player if it seems dead. Plus if your battery craps out it covers a new battery, which makes it worthwhile.
NiX
Wiki Admin

Locomotive Pandamonium

Reply #45 on: May 28, 2008, 08:05:42 PM

I'm necroing this post because I need a new MP3 player for the walk to work. I used to have a mini,  but the fucking battery died for the second time to which Apple said "Wait, you didn't buy second warranty? In Soviet Apple warranty fucks YOU."

Has Apple improved the battery life? I just need music. I don't need all this Wi-Fi bullshit or fancy sliding touch crap. I want music into my ears when I hit 1 button.

Note: Don't try to sell me on iTunes. I hate iTunes ever since it broke my mini for a week.
Oban
Terracotta Army

Reply #46 on: May 28, 2008, 08:19:20 PM

I used these guys to replace my silver mini's battery:

http://www.irepair.ca/

Very fast service and the new battery, knock on wood, lasts quite a bit longer than the original.

Palin 2012 : Let's go out with a bang!
NiX
Wiki Admin

Locomotive Pandamonium

Reply #47 on: May 28, 2008, 08:52:47 PM

Interesting. Don't know if I want to revive the ugly thing. I might grab the Creative Zen 4GB for $99 at Best Buy. Music, Video and FM tuner for $99? That's a steal.
Engels
Terracotta Army

inflicts shingles.

Reply #48 on: May 28, 2008, 10:15:14 PM

GF's been happy with creative zen, and I've been very happy with SanDisk players. The sound quality on the SanDisk player I have, which is a budget one, is notably better than my iPhone's sound quality, using the same sony in-hear 'noise reduction' buds.

I should get back to nature, too.  You know, like going to a shop for groceries instead of the computer.  Maybe a condo in the woods that doesn't even have a health club or restaurant attached.  Buy a car with only two cup holders or something. -Signe

I LIKE being bounced around by Tonkors. - Lantyssa

Babies shooting themselves in the head is the state bird of West Virginia. - schild
DeathInABottle
Terracotta Army

Reply #49 on: May 28, 2008, 11:02:04 PM

Since this has been resurrected, I may as well follow up.  I got tired of waiting for the Zune to be released in Canada (it's going to arrive on June 13, apparently), and took your collective advice to heart: got the 80GB iPod, and I have zero regrets.  Hopefully I'll be saying the same thing a few years from now.
Oban
Terracotta Army

Reply #50 on: May 29, 2008, 07:16:40 AM

Interesting. Don't know if I want to revive the ugly thing.

Metal beats plastic.

Numtini
Terracotta Army

Reply #51 on: May 29, 2008, 12:07:11 PM

I bought a 16gig zen which I use with the Rhapsody to go "rental" service. I could not be happier. Prior to that I went through an Ibiza and Sansa View. (I love Amazon's return policy btw.)

If you can read this, you're on a board populated by misogynist assholes.
NiX
Wiki Admin

Locomotive Pandamonium

Reply #52 on: May 29, 2008, 09:51:01 PM

Metal beats plastic.
I'll agree to this, but there's something to be said about a product that can work fine one day and the next, after a full recharge, shut off after 1 song is played. I can drop it a hundred times, but the fucking thing still won't play more than 1 song.
Oban
Terracotta Army

Reply #53 on: May 30, 2008, 06:58:56 AM

I would have irepair look at your ipod before you throw it out.  Worst case scenario, you pay for the repairs/battery, decide you still want a new mp3 player and you sell the mini on craigslist/ebay/to-me.

Tale
Terracotta Army

sıɥʇ ǝʞıן sʞןɐʇ

Reply #54 on: December 31, 2008, 08:58:20 PM

Relevant necro ... Y2K-style bug made all 30Gb Zunes fail on New Year's Eve. Can't handle leap years, fix was to switch them off until January 1.

Report: http://www.crunchgear.com/2008/12/31/all-zune-30s-crapping-out/
For programmers: http://www.crunchgear.com/2008/12/31/zune-bug-explained-in-detail/

Facepalm, but that's Microsoft.
Quinton
Terracotta Army

is saving up his raid points for a fancy board title

Reply #55 on: January 01, 2009, 06:36:49 AM

To be fair, the RTCs for almost all SoCs I've ever worked with have been impressively braindamaged.  It's not uncommon to run into some really nasty and really hard to reproduce bugs related to the obnoxious critters. 
Surlyboi
Terracotta Army

eat a bag of dicks

Reply #56 on: January 06, 2009, 11:09:50 AM

DRILLING AND MANLINESS

Tuned in, immediately get to watch cringey Ubisoft talking head offering her deepest sympathies to the families impacted by the Orlando shooting while flanked by a man in a giraffe suit and some sort of "horrifically garish neon costumes through the ages" exhibit or something.  We need to stop this fucking planet right now and sort some shit out. -Kail
Murgos
Terracotta Army

Reply #57 on: January 06, 2009, 11:12:46 AM

DRILLING AND MANLINESS

Is that a no more iTunes DRM  DRILLING AND MANLINESS?  'Cause it should be if it isn't.

"You have all recieved youre last warning. I am in the process of currently tracking all of youre ips and pinging your home adressess. you should not have commencemed a war with me" - Aaron Rayburn
Fabricated

~Living the Dream~

Reply #58 on: January 06, 2009, 05:08:51 PM

iTunes is a pile of indefensible shit. It's awful. Every fucking bit of it.

At least on Windows.

As for players, get something else. Get a Sansa, Cowon, Zune, whatever.

"The world is populated in the main by people who should not exist." - George Bernard Shaw
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #59 on: January 06, 2009, 05:47:09 PM

iTunes is a pile of indefensible shit. It's awful. Every fucking bit of it.

At least on Windows.
It's the same UI on the Mac.
Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Topic: Zune v. iPod  
Jump to: