Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 16, 2024, 08:01:47 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: Wii Q&A Thread 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 32 33 [34] 35 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Wii Q&A Thread  (Read 213501 times)
lovecraft
Terracotta Army

Reply #1155 on: May 24, 2007, 08:19:34 AM

That is really cool, because you are exactly who the Wii was designed for.

I think I may have just gotten slapped here.   cheesy  not because of this, but because of schild's reply.  hehe
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #1156 on: May 24, 2007, 08:32:28 AM

I was being serious, and not in an insulting way.  It's like a gaming parallel to the piracy arguments, in that you would not be playing games on a PS3/360 anyway, so you don't have any direct effect on the core gaming industry.  I am actually glad that someone out there is thrilled with Twilight Princess, but I do have that bounteous love of humankind.

If the Wii starts to become a detriment to the game industry, however, I will probably change my mind.  Right now, however, I see it as a threat on a low level, rather like those joysticks you plug into your TV to play Asteroids.

EDIT: I seem to love the word 'however'.

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
They called it The Prayer, its answer was law
Mommy come back 'cause the water's all gone
Rasix

I am the harbinger of your doom!

Reply #1157 on: May 24, 2007, 08:44:57 AM

EDIT: I seem to love the word 'however'.

You'll get over it. Junior year in high school I was throwing around "per se" way too much. 

-Rasix
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #1158 on: May 24, 2007, 08:52:35 AM

Junior year?  I just might be stuck with this one.

Can't figure out how to put 'however' into that statement.

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
sigil
Terracotta Army

Reply #1159 on: May 24, 2007, 08:57:58 AM

I think I may have just gotten slapped here.   cheesy  not because of this, but because of schild's reply.  hehe

Don't mind Schild.  His  Wii  dumped a pound of sand into his vagina shortly after he bought it.
schild
Administrator

Reply #1160 on: May 24, 2007, 08:58:48 AM

Don't mind Schild.  His  Wii  dumped a pound of sand into his vagina shortly after he bought it.
No. It didn't.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #1161 on: May 24, 2007, 09:03:19 AM

If the Wii starts to become a detriment to the game industry, however, I will probably change my mind.  Right now, however, I see it as a threat on a low level, rather like those joysticks you plug into your TV to play Asteroids.

I still fail to see how having more games of more varying types of gameplay for more different types of gamers is a bad thing for the gaming industry. It's like you are saying the game industry wants less money.

lovecraft
Terracotta Army

Reply #1162 on: May 24, 2007, 09:15:03 AM

I'm not offended.  I probably should be, but I'm not. 

EDIT: I have been in love with "as it were".  My friend has been rolling out "frankly" as of late. 
« Last Edit: May 24, 2007, 09:18:12 AM by lovecraft »
schild
Administrator

Reply #1163 on: May 24, 2007, 09:27:02 AM

I say "I mean" a lot. Also, I use dashes as commas, but that's because I'm convinced people on the interwab don't know how to read.
Strazos
Greetings from the Slave Coast

The World's Worst Game: Curry or Covid

Reply #1164 on: May 24, 2007, 09:53:28 AM

I use parenthesis, semicolons, and the ellipse a lot.

I would have to ask my friends what phrases I use a lot. I do know that I've been criticized by my (apparently less intelligent) peers before, for using big words and talking in (mostly) proper English.

They said I was showing off. To who, I have no idea.

Fear the Backstab!
"Plato said the virtuous man is at all times ready for a grammar snake attack." - we are lesion
"Hell is other people." -Sartre
lovecraft
Terracotta Army

Reply #1165 on: May 24, 2007, 09:58:45 AM

I'm also a big fan of Word
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #1166 on: May 24, 2007, 11:06:58 AM

I still fail to see how having more games of more varying types of gameplay for more different types of gamers is a bad thing for the gaming industry.

Me too, logically speaking, but I remain paranoid.  Maybe my rambling would make more sense if I said that I place the Wii in the same mental space as the DS, which has maybe five games that I want to play among the hundreds that are being shat out of dev houses on both sides of the Pacific.  When I call a DS game good, there is an implicit "for a handheld" tacked onto the end every time.  Hell, I'm avoiding the new real Mana game based solely on the fact that Children of Mana is a piece of shit; fuck those fuckers.  I'm no expert but the games I like on the DS include Contact, Castlevania and Etrian Odyssey; not much else.  Going back to the Wii, the situation is even more dismal.  Every game I like there, I tack on "for the Wii" after it, including Twilight Princess and Kororinpa.  I do realize we are not going to agree on this at all, but this is my perspective on it.  Maybe I should play more Wii games, but I have to allot my time wisely and Dead Rising, Okami, Odin Sphere, Shin Megami Tensei: Pick One, even Etrian Odyssey get higher rank than any Wii game I can think of.

The Wii needs some games.  The DS has lots of them, thanks to the install base, and I predict eventually the Wii will catch up.  Then we get Lost in Blue 4 or a MegaMan game as well as the latest movie tie-in.  Hopefully there will be the equivalent of a Castlevania or Contact in there somewhere.

So, is it bad for the industry that someone is making a DS version of a game I would rather see on a console in full-sequel-glory?  I am not sure it is.  Bad for me, at any rate.  I'm not mad, though, since the Wii is a solid machine and I like it.  The picture viewer is much better than the one on the PS3.

I'm also a big fan of Word

But, word-up is the code word.  No matter where you say it, you know that you'll be heard.

Azazel
Contributor

Reply #1167 on: May 24, 2007, 03:14:53 PM

I picked up a Wii a couple of days ago, it was an early Father's Day present.  I love the ease of play.  The last system I owned before the Wii was a PS1, so it has been a while.  Before I got the PS, I had a Sega Genesis (no joke).  I didn't even play PC games.  So I found that video games were getting too complex for me to enjoy.  I still love the RPGs, I guess because those had the least complex game play aspect, their complexity came in puzzles and memeory which I was fine with.

If you're into (console-style, at least) roleplaying games, you really should look into getting a PS2 as well. They're very cheap now.

Also, best just to ignore schild when you see him posting in one of his pet sandy-vagina threads. It's not worth the argument.

http://azazelx.wordpress.com/ - My Miniatures and Hobby Blog.
schild
Administrator

Reply #1168 on: May 24, 2007, 03:37:09 PM

Yes. Ignore me. I know nothing about gaming. I didn't do a full turnaround on the DS when it became worth it. Listen to all the people who think the Wii is worth it Now.

What do I know? I only play nearly every halfway decent release.
Azazel
Contributor

Reply #1169 on: May 24, 2007, 04:19:13 PM

I'm suggesting that when you get a hair up your ass about something, like, you know, the Wii setting back gaming by 5 years or other such BS, then it's best not to bother arguing with you and in fact to ignore you.

To me the Wii is an occasional party-game machine that will get as many titles as my Cube. I'm ok with that.

You're not, you get upset when other people say they like the thing, etc etc. Doesn't have 1080p, hi-def this, blu-ray that. You might spend your entire disposable income on games and all of your free time either on this board and playing games, but your opinion is still just opinion. Might be an educated one, but it's no more valid than anyone else's here. If people buy a Wii and enjoy the thing, more power to 'em.

BTW, touche' on trolling me to reply. Well done.  smiley

schild
Administrator

Reply #1170 on: May 24, 2007, 04:21:26 PM

Admins don't troll. We don't need to.

And I only get upset when I've played the same shit as other people, and the offerings on the other systems and... somehow... people think the Wii is a validated purchase.

That's insane to me.
Azazel
Contributor

Reply #1171 on: May 24, 2007, 04:39:32 PM

No-one needs to troll.

See, we're talking about luxury items. So it's all opinion.

Top 3 reasons why I think the Wii is quite fine, thankyouverymuch:

1) Wife enjoys it. Social and party gaming.
2) Based off of 1), I don't even need a 2), but price and being released in .au when I bought the Wii also help.
3) I have a PS2/PC/X-Box/etc already anyway with tons of unplayed games.

See, it's just a clash of opinions. It's not hard science. It's not fact. But it's the same thing over and over and the same argument over and over, hence, it's best to ignore you on the topics where you get like this because the argument itself is pointless.

edit - remembered the term I was trying to think of:

After a certain point in these threads it just becomes the same circular argument. So that's why it's best to ignore you and just not have it.

« Last Edit: May 24, 2007, 05:06:36 PM by Azazel »

Strazos
Greetings from the Slave Coast

The World's Worst Game: Curry or Covid

Reply #1172 on: May 24, 2007, 04:40:44 PM

Not everyone who plays games at all = Schild

It's really that simple. You take gaming very seriously, which is fine. Not everyone does.

I could go on, but what's the point? The fact that not everyone is the same as you should be enough, really.

Fear the Backstab!
"Plato said the virtuous man is at all times ready for a grammar snake attack." - we are lesion
"Hell is other people." -Sartre
lovecraft
Terracotta Army

Reply #1173 on: May 25, 2007, 07:09:57 AM

I actually like that the Wii has caused such a polarization in the gaming community.  It seems like people are really passionate one way or the other.  I'm enjoying the console for now.  you guys enjoy your debate. 
Murgos
Terracotta Army

Reply #1174 on: May 25, 2007, 07:33:26 AM

I actually like that the Wii has caused such a polarization in the gaming community.  It seems like people are really passionate one way or the other.  I'm enjoying the console for now.  you guys enjoy your debate. 

Nah, most of us don't really care.  You're just seeing the few nutjobs who like to be vocal about it.  As in most things the majority is silent.

"You have all recieved youre last warning. I am in the process of currently tracking all of youre ips and pinging your home adressess. you should not have commencemed a war with me" - Aaron Rayburn
Glazius
Terracotta Army

Reply #1175 on: May 25, 2007, 07:35:28 AM

Hell, I'm avoiding the new real Mana game based solely on the fact that Children of Mana is a piece of shit; fuck those fuckers.
Well, uh, by all accounts Dawn of Mana is an even _worse_ piece of shit than Children of Mana.

I'm talking autotargeting that won't pick up the monster biting your ass but will pick up the one on the other side of the four walls in front of you, a character who can only be powered up if you play the physics game by lobbing around "rocks" with the physics of beachballs (and even then you have to REDO it in EVERY DUNGEON), and a mandatory minecart level which doesn't do collision detection on the minecart walls.

What does this have to do with the Wii? Well... Dawn of Mana still wouldn't be fun if you could use your chuck to grapple around?

--GF
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #1176 on: May 25, 2007, 11:18:33 AM

I've just found out that EA is making a FIFA 08 for the Wii as well as all the other systems. Since I'm STILL playing the fuck out of the FIFA07 on the X-Box, this is just marvelous fucking news.

Velorath
Contributor

Reply #1177 on: May 25, 2007, 12:02:33 PM

It's been less than two months. Sony isn't sowing the seeds of third place.

Christ, that sort of talk needs to stop. It's just retarded.

So... we allowed to say it yet?
schild
Administrator

Reply #1178 on: May 25, 2007, 12:10:46 PM

When new releases on the PS2 stop eating everyone's lunch, including the DS, Maybe. But even then, only Maybe.

In terms of the console war, it's not even a matter of taste, fact of the matter is, Sony did the one thing the other companies didn't do. They continued support of their last gen console. I understand Nintendo and Microsoft had no reason to, but I wouldn't be surprised if PS2 sales allow them to subsidize a PS3 price cut later this year. Until Sony stops massive retail/marketing support of the PS2, they're still number 1. There's really no way to argue it. 120M consoles is a scary thing.
Margalis
Terracotta Army

Reply #1179 on: May 25, 2007, 01:56:02 PM

Considering how much time I've spent playing Wii Sports, that validates the purpose in itself. Two player is where it's at of course.

vampirehipi23: I would enjoy a book written by a monkey and turned into a movie rather than this.
stray
Terracotta Army

has an iMac.

Reply #1180 on: May 25, 2007, 04:06:30 PM

I say fuck it all.
Velorath
Contributor

Reply #1181 on: May 25, 2007, 05:21:06 PM

When new releases on the PS2 stop eating everyone's lunch, including the DS, Maybe. But even then, only Maybe.

In terms of the console war, it's not even a matter of taste, fact of the matter is, Sony did the one thing the other companies didn't do. They continued support of their last gen console. I understand Nintendo and Microsoft had no reason to, but I wouldn't be surprised if PS2 sales allow them to subsidize a PS3 price cut later this year. Until Sony stops massive retail/marketing support of the PS2, they're still number 1. There's really no way to argue it. 120M consoles is a scary thing.

PS2 and PSP sales aren't enough to balance out the amount of money the PS3 is losing right now.  They're pretty much already subsidizing the PS3, and PS2 sales are slowly dropping.  Certainly the PS2 isn't eating everyones' lunch if you look at software sales for the past few months.  God of War II was big, but the 360, Wii, and DS have had some strong selling games.  I think in March the 360 held four of the top ten slots for US software sales.  There's a market for HD gaming right now, and the main thing that has people looking toward the 360 to fill it rather than the PS3 is the PS3's $600 price tag.  They need to drop the price $150-200, and even then with MS expecting their games division to turn a profit for the first time this year (due in large part to expected Halo 3 sales, which is rumored to have around 4 million preorders) MS could be in a position to drop the 360's price in response.  Of course if that happens, the 360 will be close in price to the Wii, so it will be interesting to see what happens there.
Azazel
Contributor

Reply #1182 on: May 25, 2007, 05:27:45 PM

I think we really should wait a year. From now. At least.

I've just found out that EA is making a FIFA 08 for the Wii as well as all the other systems. Since I'm STILL playing the fuck out of the FIFA07 on the X-Box, this is just marvelous fucking news.

What happened to that Mario Soccer? I'm still dubious about "normal" games on the Wii, however.

MS could be in a position to drop the 360's price in response.  Of course if that happens, the 360 will be close in price to the Wii, so it will be interesting to see what happens there.

At that point, I seriously look at buying one.

Except.. I prefer my PC for gaming, and there's no XBMC type thing for the 360, and, well, I'm scared it will explode if I sneeze near it.

Margalis
Terracotta Army

Reply #1183 on: May 25, 2007, 05:43:23 PM

Mario Strikers (the soccer game) is coming out fairly soon and has online multiplayer.

vampirehipi23: I would enjoy a book written by a monkey and turned into a movie rather than this.
Azazel
Contributor

Reply #1184 on: May 25, 2007, 05:46:54 PM

I may be interested in this. If it allows normal control and not just wand-waving. I can't see the Wiimote working effectively or with enough accuracy in some of the more traditional game types.

Velorath
Contributor

Reply #1185 on: May 26, 2007, 12:58:09 AM

I may be interested in this. If it allows normal control and not just wand-waving. I can't see the Wiimote working effectively or with enough accuracy in some of the more traditional game types.

The guys at Penny Arcade had this to say about it in their most recent update:

We came away from the event almost dumbstruck by Super Mario Strikers Charged, though. The last panel of the strip is from our first time playing it, where shells and fire rebuffed our attempts to simply intuit its mysteries. Our second time, after Gabriel had been coached in its intricacies and we added GameLife's Chris Kohler to our squad, we couldn't stop playing the fucking thing. We could have added another person, even - you can play four against the machine - but we weren't leaving the couch to find somebody. The basic mechanic involved passing the ball around to build up the eponymous charge on it, which increases its chance of scoring a goal. It's a very basic sort of "hot potato" mechanic that is extremely exciting in its execution. Waggling in this one is fairly light - as a game that wants its sports elements taken seriously, Wii-centric controls happen only when a) you want to physically strike a player, which is done by moving toward the "enemy" and swinging the remote, or b) when you are defending your goal against a special shot, an airborne barrage of goal attempts. I worried about this last one, as the rest of the game is so precise, but it's great - and here's how it works: like a light-gun shooter, you use the goalie's hands to block incoming shots as they approach. The excellent twist is that the goalkeeper is selected from the players on your team - seemingly at random, so you never know who has the responsibility. And since these super shots can score multiple goals, it's a huge Goddamn deal. I'm dying to own it, primarily for co-op play in the game's tournament cups - I don't know if I'll ever even get to the online portion, easily the most elaborate on the platform.
Sairon
Terracotta Army

Reply #1186 on: May 26, 2007, 05:41:36 AM

I'd just like to point out, innovation does not equal good. I can agree that the Wii might help developers think in new terms, but that doesn't help the fact that anything I've touched on the Wii so far is so shitty I begin to question the integrity of people liking it.
Azazel
Contributor

Reply #1187 on: May 26, 2007, 06:44:22 PM

Opinions and Arseholes.

HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #1188 on: May 27, 2007, 09:49:39 AM

Mario Strikers is supposed to be out end of June in the US, I think. It's either already out in Europe or soon to be out. FIFA is fall.

I'm definitely excited about Mario Strikers, but it's likely the kind of game I won't play as seriously as FIFA because it's Mario. I just can't take it as seriously unless it is world's better than FIFA turns out to be. Based on EA's success with the Madden game for Wii last year, I'm feeling confident FIFA 08 will rule my ass for months.

sigil
Terracotta Army

Reply #1189 on: May 28, 2007, 09:46:24 AM

Supposedly  Wii madden 08 get the online love, as well as mii integration with the mini games that are included. I spent too much time customizing teams in PES last year to really think about Madden.

Mario strikers seems to be  on the right track. waggle only used sparringly.

I'm envisioning a system that would use the waggle to push off like strikers and also for  ball control. Fakes, rolls, shielding, toe pokes and stepovers done as gestures.

We'll see how that works
Pages: 1 ... 32 33 [34] 35 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: Wii Q&A Thread  
Jump to: