Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 09, 2024, 08:56:26 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Movies  |  Topic: Captain America: The Winter Soldier 0 Members and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Captain America: The Winter Soldier  (Read 38387 times)
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #70 on: April 03, 2014, 11:09:02 PM

Just saw this.  It was entertaining.  I think I offended the comic nerds I was seeing it with when I said "wait, is that what happened in the comic too?  Wow, that's really dumb."

"I have not actually recommended many games, and I'll go on the record here saying my track record is probably best in the industry." - schild
Velorath
Contributor

Reply #71 on: April 04, 2014, 04:29:22 AM

Very little of what happened in the comic book happened in the movie.
Abagadro
Terracotta Army

Possibly the only user with more posts in the Den than PC/Console Gaming.

Reply #72 on: April 04, 2014, 02:40:28 PM

Just came back. Liked it quite a bit.  My favorite easter egg is on a certain tombstone at the end so look at it closely as it is a very brief shot.

"As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.”

-H.L. Mencken
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #73 on: April 04, 2014, 02:42:46 PM

Yeah, that tombstone was my favorite joke in the movie too.   DRILLING AND MANLINESS

"I have not actually recommended many games, and I'll go on the record here saying my track record is probably best in the industry." - schild
Raguel
Terracotta Army

Reply #74 on: April 04, 2014, 03:52:30 PM

I missed the joke :/

I liked the movie. I wasn't quite what I'd hope for, but overall I thought it was a good movie.

Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #75 on: April 05, 2014, 03:34:21 AM

Stop doing that.

"Mr Soft Owl has Seen Some Shit." - Sun Tzu
Ghambit
Terracotta Army

Reply #76 on: April 05, 2014, 10:09:50 AM

The movie is definitely loaded with subtlety, which for me was my only complaint.  By the time something started to register in my mind, the scene was over and something else was taking my attention.  It's probably the most lore-dependent (and divisive) of all the Marvel movies.

If you dont get the subtlety, the movie turns into a simple action-flick.  Albeit a very very good one.  Actually, it's probably the most actiony of all the Marvel films.  Even the music was suitably A-Teamish.

"See, the beauty of webgames is that I can play them on my phone while I'm plowing your mom."  -Samwise
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #77 on: April 05, 2014, 10:25:39 AM

If by 'loaded with subtlety' you mean 'loaded with more nerd culture references than a whole season of the big bang theory' then I agree. But I wouldn't call it subtle.

Compared to the other marvel films this was aimed more squarely at the teenage nerd and overgrown manchild demographics. I liked it for that, but it was also why the GF found it tiresome and formulaic.

"People will not assume that what they read on the internet is trustworthy or that it carries any particular ­assurance or accuracy" - Lord Leveson
"Hyperbole is a cancer" - Lakov Sanite
Ghambit
Terracotta Army

Reply #78 on: April 05, 2014, 10:38:45 AM

Yah, that's kinda what I mean by subtle.  Though reason I said subtle is because like I said, the references were quick.  They didnt beat you over the head with it; was more like machine-gun fire all over the movie.  Ditto the formulaic-ness if you didnt pick it up though.

Movie was made to bolster MAoS and vice versa quite obviously.

"See, the beauty of webgames is that I can play them on my phone while I'm plowing your mom."  -Samwise
Lakov_Sanite
Terracotta Army

Reply #79 on: April 05, 2014, 11:53:51 AM

Eh......

~a horrific, dark simulacrum that glares balefully at us, with evil intent.
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #80 on: April 05, 2014, 11:57:53 AM

Quote from: Ghambit link=topic=23756.msg1277239#msg1277239 date[s
[/s]=1396719525].  Ditto the formulaic-ness if you didnt pick it up didn't read comics in the 90s

Don't use the word subtle when this is what you meant and admitted as such. 

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
Ghambit
Terracotta Army

Reply #81 on: April 05, 2014, 12:01:44 PM

Eh......

Eh what?  You think Marvel et. al. didnt factor that into their biz plan?  Dont be daft.

Lakov_Sanite
Terracotta Army

Reply #82 on: April 05, 2014, 12:24:54 PM

If you think the makers of the movie give two shits about the series you are woefully mistaken about how these things work, the movie is looking to make more money then the series ever will.  The show of course was made to bolster the movies and keep them fresh in peoples minds, unfortunately it's been doing a terrible job of it.

That said I have no doubt the movie will help bolster the show and give them the opportunity to start fresh and it will be interesting to see where season two goes.

~a horrific, dark simulacrum that glares balefully at us, with evil intent.
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #83 on: April 05, 2014, 02:29:03 PM

My wife doesn't know any of the references but she still liked it a lot. It's a pretty well-paced action film with some good sequences and emotional hooks.

I also think it more or less walks up to Man of Steel and kicks it in the junk in terms of showing you how to make a character who is basically a boy scout at heart still be dramatically interesting without having to make him a grimdark 'it's not a battle if you don't kill a whole city' character. The best scene in that regard is

The biggest Easter Egg imho was
RhyssaFireheart
Terracotta Army

Reply #84 on: April 05, 2014, 03:23:01 PM

Saw it last night with the husband.  He basically went along because he knew I wanted to see it (and it was his turn to let me pick) and he enjoyed it without knowing anything about the character/lore other than seeing Avengers.  Neither of us saw the first movie, either.

I agree that they did a good job of making Rogers a boy scout without having him be pretentious and over-bearing about it.  He did good things because that was what he did, full stop.  

I thought the action scenes and fights were all pretty damn good, actually.  Like, nice choreography and plausibility for amped up characters beating each other up, and Falcon's flight wings didn't come off as outlandish, either.

Heh, forgot to mention that I enjoyed the movie a lot and the two credits scenes were good.

Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #85 on: April 05, 2014, 04:17:30 PM

First film was good.  You should take a look.

Velorath
Contributor

Reply #86 on: April 05, 2014, 04:17:55 PM

One thing I'll add is that the two Cap movies seem more cohesive than most of the other Marvel movies in the way the second movie brings back a lot of stuff from the first, and also does a lot to set up the next movie (they managed to successfully set up the Winter Soldier and introduce Falcon, Agent 13, and Crossbones). The Iron Man movies don't really have much of a narrative arc that goes across the three of them, and while the end of Thor 2 looks to set up Thor 3, the whole plot with Malekith didn't really have much to do with any sort of greater story arc between the movies.
MediumHigh
Terracotta Army

Reply #87 on: April 05, 2014, 09:16:30 PM

This knocks it out the park and than some. I mostly blame this movie and Caps universe in general being well within Hollywoods ballpark and the writing, action, and the plot shows.
Tannhauser
Terracotta Army

Reply #88 on: April 06, 2014, 04:07:23 PM

Really enjoyed this BUT I think I still like Cap 1 better.  WW2 is a fascination of mine.  Having said that, I thought the action scenes were done very well with a good storyline.  When I got into comics Cap and Falcons were a team so it was cool to see them here.  Loved Falc's old red and white costume!  I know it's Caps film, but I wish we had JUST a bit more on Black Widow.  Evans was good, hell everyone was good, but....Redford phoned it in.  Yeah I said it.

Also a big THANK YOU to the MCU for using practical effects whenever possible.  Big thanks as well for the look of Winter Soldier, nice costume along with Cap's. It felt like Cap's version of 'Dark Knight Rises' with the (mostly) gritty street combat. 

The time flew by and I was very entertained.  Second extra scene was a waste of time though.  Marvel is still kicking ass.  If GotG bombs it will be its own fault.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #89 on: April 06, 2014, 07:59:27 PM

Saw it. Loved it. Thought it was actually a better Marvel movie than Avengers, in that the plot was tighter and made more sense. Falcon is just fucking awesome. Stay through all the credits, all the way to the end even though the final post-credits thing isn't as important as the first.

Ghambit
Terracotta Army

Reply #90 on: April 06, 2014, 08:03:30 PM

How does Falcon's suit actually work?  Some kind of mind-machine interface that articulates his wings and engines?

Abagadro
Terracotta Army

Possibly the only user with more posts in the Den than PC/Console Gaming.

Reply #91 on: April 06, 2014, 10:46:26 PM

A wizard did it.

"As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.”

-H.L. Mencken
MahrinSkel
Terracotta Army

When she crossed over, she was just a ship. But when she came back... she was bullshit!

Reply #92 on: April 07, 2014, 01:49:58 AM

How does Falcon's suit actually work?  Some kind of mind-machine interface that articulates his wings and engines?
In a world that includes Iron Man and Thor, you boggle on a winged jetpack?

--Dave

--Signature Unclear
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #93 on: April 07, 2014, 08:29:49 AM

^ That. ^

Seriously, how do repulsors work, or giant fucking turbines that drive the Helicarriers? Or how does Cap know exactly where his shield will bounce when he throws it?

Falcon's suit works by FUCK YOU, that's how. It's powered by pure goddamn awesome.

jgsugden
Terracotta Army

Reply #94 on: April 07, 2014, 08:43:19 AM

The name dropping was very cool.  The second I get the BR for this movie, I'm going to pop it open to those comnputer screens showing all the names and see how many 'potentials' are out there that we know from the comics.  Was Luke Cage, Matt Murdock, etc... on it?  What about some of the villains? 

2020 will be the year I gave up all hope.
tazelbain
Terracotta Army

tazelbain

Reply #95 on: April 07, 2014, 08:51:24 AM

Loved everything about this movie including Redford. Thought he did swarmy politician quite well.

"Me am play gods"
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #96 on: April 07, 2014, 08:52:25 AM

My only disappointment about this movie was that

jgsugden
Terracotta Army

Reply #97 on: April 07, 2014, 09:41:22 AM

Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #98 on: April 07, 2014, 09:44:10 AM

Actually, I was kind of glad they didn't do that,
Screen caps of the targeting so far show:
RhyssaFireheart
Terracotta Army

Reply #99 on: April 07, 2014, 09:45:02 AM

Wouldn't that have been too cliched though?  He shouldn't have been the head of HYDRA and it does give something for Fury to do when he's off tramping around Europe.  And for now, since the upcoming movies don't seem like they'll address it, looking for HYDRA and dealing with the Winter Soldier are the possibly setups for CA3 if/when that is ever made.

And Redford did a perfect smarmy politician.  

Oh, someone elsewhere pointed out that Shandling's senator character was also the one trying to get a hold of the Ironman armor, so that was a nice little tie between the movies.

Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #100 on: April 07, 2014, 09:52:27 AM

As an aside, the years have NOT been kind to Shandling.
shiznitz
Terracotta Army

the plural of mangina

Reply #101 on: April 07, 2014, 09:53:21 AM

It is not the years that have done that to his face.

I have never played WoW.
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #102 on: April 07, 2014, 10:01:06 AM

Yeah, I was thinking the same thing.
jgsugden
Terracotta Army

Reply #103 on: April 07, 2014, 12:39:40 PM

Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #104 on: April 07, 2014, 02:22:30 PM

This movie was good.

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Movies  |  Topic: Captain America: The Winter Soldier  
Jump to: